• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcane |OT| Use Spoilers

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know nothing of League of Legends and I am LOVING everything about it. The animation is incredible. The tech behind this show is even more so. I can't wait for the last three episodes to come out. I am telling everyone about it. And the people who have seen it think the same as I do. Must watch show.
I know nothing about LOL too. No interest to play it or even read about it. I have no idea how much this show even relates to the game.

I dont watch cartoons/animation much, but if it's cool looking and not too anime-ish I'll give it try. Maybe tonight.

Castlevania was ok, Bood of Zeus was awesome. The movie The Liberator wasnt great but the effect they did was interesting.

brian0057

Banned
Because I never tried, I never used that word.
You got triggered, I get it, it's ok.
I love you.

This must be a mirage, then.
Or is that not saying that Sky being fridged is bad.

The script is not perfect and have some weak points that are worthy complaining, but not these. Sky being "fridged" is one for example.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given that you take Gail Simone seriously.

Last edited:

taizuke

Youtuber T B Skyen i think does a great job explaining Arcane's minor shortcomings (giving it a 7/10) as well as praising the show so I'll leave this here for anyone interested:

Personally, i fucking loved this show and i too knew nothing about League of Legends. My favorite character was Jinx too. Her scenes were straight up horror sometimes. But, while i think the show is incredible i think there needed to be more story to tell.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I went into this show with moderate expectations even after hearing the praise that some Netflix undeservedly get. I absolutely loved it. I played LOL for about 3-4 months when it first came out and it was not for me. However, this show was one of the better video game adaptations (influenced?) shows I have watched.

Mossybrew

Also not a LoL player, loved the art style from ep1 but thought the story initially was kinda cliche. By the final episode I'm like, shit son this is the real deal. A real milestone in animated storytelling IMO.

Fuz

Banned
Youtuber T B Skyen i think does a great job explaining Arcane's minor shortcomings (giving it a 7/10) as well as praising the show so I'll leave this here for anyone interested:

Personally, i fucking loved this show and i too knew nothing about League of Legends. My favorite character was Jinx too. Her scenes were straight up horror sometimes. But, while i think the show is incredible i think there needed to be more story to tell.

I hate that he *had* to do that big preamble to excuse his vote to the rabid fanboy crowds.
I see other youtubers having to do that.

Last edited:

Amiga

It's like classic Disney in 3D.

Animation is WOW! a new standard. optimizes art in 3D. better than the best of Pixar IMOO. The backgrounds get as much detail as the characters and are part of telling the story. This is the best animation studio in the world today!

And I would rather play a game with art like this over photo realistic games.

brian0057

Banned
It's like classic Disney in 3D.

Animation is WOW! a new standard. optimizes art in 3D. better than the best of Pixar IMOO. The backgrounds get as much detail as the characters and are part of telling the story. This is the best animation studio in the world today!

And I would rather play a game with art like this over photo realistic games.
I know, right?
Apparently, the backgrounds are 2D and hand-painted.
The characters and other models, on the other hand, are 3D with 2D hand-painted textures on top.

It looks fantastic all around.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Makes me dislike LoL even more. I just skimmed through the character list and saw like 5 huge spoilers for how some of the characters end up.

Arsic

Makes me dislike LoL even more. I just skimmed through the character list and saw like 5 huge spoilers for how some of the characters end up.

Should’ve watched it and came to your own conclusions as it is spectacular.

Sounds like you never wanted to give it a chance and are a purebred player hater from the jump.

Who hurt you ?

Spaceman292

Banned
Should’ve watched it and came to your own conclusions as it is spectacular.

Sounds like you never wanted to give it a chance and are a purebred player hater from the jump.

Who hurt you ?
No no that's the opposite of what I meant. I watched it and loved it, then took a look at the game and the game has spoilers in it.

ZywyPL

Banned

7/10 is obviously too harsh, but I do fully agree the show feels rushed, should've been stretched to 5 episodes per act IMO. Everything happens too fast, especially the side chatacters don't get enough on-screen time, if there's a fight scene it's just a few second sequence, and so on. If there's something wrong with Arcade, it's definitely the pacing.

Last edited:

Flintty

This series has proper got into my head. I can't stop thinking about it and listening to the awesome soundtrack. I'm going to need a second watch, I think. Quality stuff.

Amiga

Know nothing about LoL other than the name. Ironically the show is better for those who don't know the source material. Strange situation.

Neolombax

Only started watching but damn this animation work is top notch. The art style is really sublime. Smart of Riot to branch out like this, now I feel like playing more of their games in this universe.

brian0057

Banned
If you can’t bring yourself to watch it, do it for Kojima.

dnmtn4ksijwyep0xmljk.jpg

Vaelka

All I know is this guy has a massive hate boner for women showing skin.

Most of his videos are just his rants and extreme levels of nitpicking about the female characters ( and a shit ton of excuses for it for the male characters ).
He's really up his own ass too in his interactions with other people he reeks of armchair expert and Twitter.

taizuke

All I know is this guy has a massive hate boner for women showing skin.

Most of his videos are just his rants and extreme levels of nitpicking about the female characters ( and a shit ton of excuses for it for the male characters ).
He's really up his own ass too in his interactions with other people he reeks of armchair expert and Twitter.

That may be but I felt he highlighted the shows minor shortcomings very well. I think Arcane is damn near perfect and while I agree with him that some scenes could've used more story is not enough to lower my enjoyment of the show.

ckaneo

Meh, feels like nitpicks. The only one I agree with is the suicide attempt because that happened way too fast. The rest didnt need to be shown and the show would probably be worse off if it overstayed it's welcome

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

TVexperto

Arcane has ruined my mind to the point where I can no longer consume any media without feelings its immediate inferiority. It makes me want to run on a screaming rampage, tearing down the vain works of man that line or halls and museums--all merely flickering shadows cast on a cave's wall in the light of Arcane.

Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Shakespeare... What you can artists, I would call merely the road-builders, the forebearers... They established the traditions that Arcane would one day perfect.

Art is dead, expression is finished, as it has, in a way, completed its original purpose.

We are done, and now we may retire as a single, post-enlightenment culture.

If you can’t bring yourself to watch it, do it for Kojima.

dude is crawling around looking for attention and jumping on the success of others. seen him sneaking about Edgar Wright and now Riot recently. he so wishes he could make a good TV show/Movie like Arcane/Last Night in Soho.

maybe go back to making games or better yet leave the gaming industry altogether if you wanna be a movie/tv critic

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Arcane has ruined my mind to the point where I can no longer consume any media without feelings its immediate inferiority. It makes me want to run on a screaming rampage, tearing down the vain works of man that line or halls and museums--all merely flickering shadows cast on a cave's wall in the light of Arcane.

Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Shakespeare... What you can artists, I would call merely the road-builders, the forebearers... They established the traditions that Arcane would one day perfect.

Art is dead, expression is finished, as it has, in a way, completed its original purpose.

We are done, and now we may retire as a single, post-enlightenment culture.
It's like when Daredevil first launched and made it difficult to take any of the DC shows on The CW seriously.
It still remains the best superhero thing ever made.

Arcane is that but for animated shows.

DUDE. THIS SHOW IS JUST:

james franco sandwich GIF

I was skeptical when I read through this thread a month ago, but I finally took the time to dive into it and by God does this show harden my dong beyond words.

Never played LOL, never bothered to read into it, went into this completely blind - and now i'm totally a fan of the world that they have built into the lore of the game, and the show itself.

I have never seen a more polished, high quality, and visually pleasing show like this in recent years.

The world they build is so immersive, and the writing itself is really well done with how they pace things together over the course of 9 episodes that I legitimately can't be more thankful that a show like this exists.

Huge fan of the show now, but I'm definitely avoiding the game regardless of how great the show is.

Season 2 is apparently coming in 2023 and my heart just can't take the wait!

Top Bottom