• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archos unveils 7-inch GamePad with physical controls, Ice Cream Sandwich (Vita Lite)

onQ123

Archos unveils 7-inch GamePad with physical controls, Ice Cream Sandwich for 'less than €150'

game-pad.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/archos-gamepad-with-physical-controls/

Archos already has its hands in the kiddie-tablet market, with its 7-inch Arnova Child Pad, and it's taking on the productivity-minded crowd with its keyboard-toting 101 XS. Now the company is going after another niche segment with the just-announced GamePad. The 7-inch slate runs Android 4.0 with a dual-core processor clocked at 1.5GHz and a quad-core Mali 400 MP GPU, and it sports physical gaming controls in addition to the standard touchscreen. Archos includes its own "game recognition and mapping tools," which ensure that the physical buttons are compatible with Android games that use virtual controls (some 1,000 titles are apparently compatible with the GamePad at this point). Of course, this is an internet-enabled device as well, and it will include full access to the Play market and WiFi connectivity when it goes on sale at the end of October. Other specs include 8GB of internal storage, plus a microSD card slot that adds up to 64GB. There's also a mini-HDMI connection for outputting content to your TV. For now, Archos is only announcing pricing as "less than €150", and the device will drop in the US and Europe at the same time. For now, the below-the-break press release will have to satisfy your curiosity.

iceatcs

Need more physical controls on many future devices as possible.
Developers will start use it as 2nd standard more.

That's starting. but that device look like easy to break. (so thin)

nickcv

i hate when they put buttons instead of a proper dpad...

and i do agree about it looking too thin, i'm not sure how comfortable it would be to hold it for a long time.

Dali

With pspgo going dirt cheap and arguably a better selection of games (including emulators?) What would be the draw of this over that? I mean there really aren't very many must have android games out there.

MRORANGE

With pspgo going dirt cheap and arguably a better selection of games (including emulators?) What would be the draw of this over that? I mean there really aren't very many must have android games out there.

pretty sure this android device will have a greater backlog of games on hand as well as greater emulation possibilities.

1-D_FTW

pretty sure this android device will have a greater backlog of games on hand as well as greater emulation possibilities.

Which I suspect is the appeal for people interested in such a device. I like the sound of it, but those controls don't pass the eye test. Hopefully the ergonomics are better than they appear.

sajj316

I don't mind purchasing a handheld with a greater upside to emulation possibilities in comparison to the PSP. Ergonomics are a bit concerning.

Have there been any threads created that are dedicated to Android emulation? To look into ...

Aru

So they are including a Blutrol-esque software to map virtual buttons and d-pad to the physical buttons. That's great news IMO.
Less than 150 € is a good price, but I already have a Vita and a 3DS... I can't see how this device would get any play time from me :/
Archos isn't a bad brand, they make entry and medium level products that are usually cheap. The counterpart is that some of their devices don't have access to the Google market IIRC.

There's no mention in the OP of what kind of screen it has. If it's a shitty PSP like LCD then this is useless, if it's more inline with the Vita's OLED or newer phones this could be interesting.

-MB-

Vita lite? More like Vita shite.

There's no mention in the OP of what kind of screen it has. If it's a shitty PSP like LCD then this is useless, if it's more inline with the Vita's OLED or newer phones this could be interesting.

For that price? Forget it, at best it could have an IPS panel like some of the 10" 200 $ chinese tablets do have.

Too bad it's Archos. They suck.

Really? Before Apple took over the market, I solely bought Archos devices because they have so much more freedom. For what its worth, I still have my Archos 605 that can play just about every video format, and it still works great. Admittedly, I have moved on to an iPhone.

EDIT: I have no idea about a gaming device though, that's very different for them.

Tobor

Really? Before Apple took over the market, I solely bought Archos devices because they have so much more freedom. For what its worth, I still have my Archos 605 that can play just about every video format, and it still works great. Admittedly, I have moved on to an iPhone.

EDIT: I have no idea about a gaming device though, that's very different for them.

That's funny, I remember it very differently. I bought three different Archos jukeboxes before I eventually switched to iPods. All of them had terrible interfaces, atrocious design, and lackluster to bad hardware.

spoonztt

On some of the other tablets I linked emulation is the main selling point. A co-worker of mine has one of them that runs PS1 and N64 almost flawlessly and the battery life ain't too shabby either. I was seriously considering getting one at one point for nothing more than the portability.

As usual with Archos it's hideously ugly but the value's there. Hope they didn't skimp on the innards, because I've used way too many of their devices that were great in theory but not practice.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ugh, wish it was a phone. Soooo slim.

My Xperia Play is a brick in my pocket waiting to be swapped by a sexy slim iPhone.

I decided I can't buy portable systems with circle pads anymore. After playing 3DS/PSP a while then playing Vita, there is no going back. Who actually likes those things over analog sticks?

Top Bottom