• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arctic stronghold of worlds seeds flooded after permafrost melts [seeds are safe]

Plum

Global warming takes the perma out of permafrost. Its tempfrost. If humans had longer lifespans I think we would take this issue more seriously. But as of now, very few of us living will be effected by global warming. Our grand kids and great grand kids will be fucked later in their lives though. We approach global warming like the Reggie not my problem .jpg

No, we won't be subjected to the brunt of it, but if you're under, say, 35 and expect to not see some form of deep and long-lasting consequences due to climate change you're mistaken. The Syrian conflict happening right now is, in some part, due to the rising temperatures in the region; even in dreary old UK records have been broken literally every year for the past three years. Of course if you're going to be 70 in 2050 you're not going to see flooded cities and the like but the impacts of climate change a whole lot more varied than just turning us into Waterworld.

commedieu

Banned
Can they store them in a radiation-proof container on the moon? Or even multiple different sites for redundancy.

This kind of stuff terrifies me.

Hate to break it to you. But only world leaders and military have bunkers that will survive the event that triggers the need for seeds.

I doubt you're on the list. Same with the majority population.

SummitAve

Banned
Hate to break it to you. But only world leaders and military have bunkers that will survive the event that triggers the need for seeds.

There are actually vaults all over for some levels of redundancy and the position of this vault was selected with consideration towards geopolitical conflicts and possibility of a nuclear strike.

Dyle

For perspective, they have panoramas of the entire place viewable on their website. Water only got into the main tunnel, which is 100m long, although the article doesn't specify where the water leaked in from or how far it got.

https://www.croptrust.org/our-work/svalbard-global-seed-vault/interactive-visit/

We should be thankful that this happened so soon, so that it can be adjusted and fixed before this becomes a regular occurrence. Whether it's stronger, more waterproof doors or other solutions, I'm sure there are ways to alleviate this.

neshcom

Banned
I was going to say maybe the vault was just really old and didn't initially consider global warming affecting permafrost, but the vault started construction in 2006??????

louiedog

Unaltered relative to what? All of our modern crop plants are altered. It doesn't matter whether seed banks contain "GMO" or "non-GMO" seeds. What's important is diversity and hardiness.

As a record.

Why are some people on this forum always looking for a fight and instantly lunge?

Dingens

Should've probably built it at the south pole instead. Last I heard global warming didn't affect the southern hemisphere quite as strongly

GMOs aren't dirty or bad.

they are tainted!
by capitalism and greed

Unaltered relative to what? All of our modern crop plants are altered. It doesn't matter whether seed banks contain "GMO" or "non-GMO" seeds. What's important is diversity and hardiness.

oh come on.. don't be that guy. They probably store different varieties of anything anyway - including the most unaltered version we still have access to. And that's the right thing to do. Noah brought tigers and lions on his arch, not Ligers after all

As a record.

Why are some people on this forum always looking for a fight and instantly lunge?

nah, it's usually just the GMO and atomic energy defence force. Usually

Ploid 3.0

Scary.

But that seed vault looks so badass:

700_b794dd4728d670a0bc8584c634b74426.jpg

svalbard-global-22-1920x1200.jpg

29seeds-span-600.jpg

Looks like the entrance to a Half Life Episode 3 stage.

Can you check the list again? Maybe you just overlooked me... LOOK OVER THERE IT'S ELVIS IN A UFO!!!!

*runs past you*

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looking for a fight? Lunge? Did any of the phrasing or vocabulary suggest hostility? I don't think it did. I was merely expressing a clarification, since FUD about GMOs is not good.

oh come on.. don't be that guy. They probably store different varieties of anything anyway - including the most unaltered version we still have access to. And that's the right thing to do. Noah brought tigers and lions on his arch, not Ligers after all
Don't be what guy? They don't store GMO seeds in there.

Blizzard

Banned
Permafrost or not, I would have expected some sort of seal against water given the stakes here and the fact that it's buried in a snow/ice mountain. Yikes.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Can they store them in a radiation-proof container on the moon? Or even multiple different sites for redundancy.

This kind of stuff terrifies me.

There are several major seed conservatories and many universities have seed vaults.
Mostly are gene banks .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_bank

they are tainted!
by capitalism and greed

Mostly public fears purported by groups of lobbyists, conspiracy theorists, alternative medicine and other types of loons.
Tons of public universities and research labs does genetic modification research.

CTLance

Phew. Dodged a bullet there, albeit only narrowly. Just shows that humans will only ever be able to account for n cases, when reality easily can come up with n+1 problems. Sure, expecting the permafrost shield to stay in place was optimistic, and not accounting for the influx of water doubly so, but hey. At least Norway has a vault seed of that size. Most other countries are happy with comparatively tiny university vaults and the like.

And yes, GMO may be clean, but the idea behind this storage is to keep a backup of unaltered, known-good stock. This does not qualify the GMO as dirty and it makes no claims about the nature of the (traditionally bred/selected-for and thus technically altered as well) plants. It just means that the plants in this vault are a well-researched and trusty source of food and materials, validated by genuinely countless years of usage. If anything, this water problem should show that humans cannot be trusted to have enough brainmeats to handle something like GMO with sufficient foresight and thus need vaults like this one.

I worry about us being exposed to bacteria hundreds of millions of years old that our immune systems will not have defense against. Any bird or fish coming in contact with an ancient bacteria or virus that could be spread airborne could wipe us all out. And on the eve of the post-antibiotic age...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah or they just don't understand anything about construction and didn't bother to hire some experts to properly protect things.

also the fact that they are storing it for some sort of post-apocalyptic future and it can't even survive a flood.

el oh fuckin el

Top Bottom