• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Amiibos as "cheat codes" an appropriate way to go moving forward? (BOTW related)

Target. Toys R Us.

Target is out of stock online, and no store within 100 miles of where I live has any. Toys R Us does the same shit that Target does, in that it technically says "in stock" on the store page but if you click on it it's only available for in store pickup, and none of the Toys R Us's in my state have any.

I'm not sure why people are fighting this so hard. Shit isn't available anywhere. I'm sure there's a few hundred thousand spread across the United States, but that's not the same as being readily available online and in store.

Target is out of stock online, and no store within 100 miles of where I live has any. Toys R Us does the same shit that Target does, in that it technically says "in stock" on the store page but if you click on it it's only available for in store pickup, and none of the Toys R Us's in my state have any.

I'm not sure why people are fighting this so hard. Shit isn't available anywhere. I'm sure there's a few hundred thousand spread across the United States, but that's not the same as being readily available online and in store.

No, I agree, it's total bullshit and always has been. I've tried to stay far away from the amiibo game but now I have like 10 of them lol

Yeah I will accept that. However don't keep saying that this isn't degrading non amiibo owners experiences. Being locked out of the best weapons and horse in the game sucks.

Comparable weapons and horses are available in the game. You're missing out on cosmetic nostalgia and nothing more.

balohna

I have one of the BOTW amiibos, and I can use it to "cheat" by getting some weapons and stuff. But none of it is OP, it just saves me some time having to search around for stuff. Which I actually don't mind, despite usually being a purist about this kind of thing (i.e. not using bonus items in Bioware games because they're too good). I think it's because your inventory in BOTW is so transitory that it's just saving me having to scrounge for resources, and I'm okay with that.

Comparable weapons and horses are available in the game. You're missing out on cosmetic nostalgia and nothing more.

Cosmetic nostalgia is all I want. I have a ton of shit in Breath of the Wild that I'm sure is much, much better than the amiibo unlocks. Doesn't change the fact that I want to look at it.

Wereroku

No they are not. There is no horse comparable to Epona. The bow and boomerang are both higher then any weapon in the game. Also the bow has completely unique mechanics. Your statement is actually false.

I've beaten the game and absolutely nothing comes close to the Twilight Bow lol

Yeah some folks ignore things that don't fit their narrative.

Madness

http://m.gamestop.com/product/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307

Apparently some people have said that with some file changing and whatnot when you hook up to your PC they have been able to mimic most of the amiibo exclusives on BotW. Reminds me of the gameshark and action replay of the past. I think some of it is a good idea selling amiibo but other stuff should not have been locked behind such a paywall but gotten in game through strenuous tasks.

kunonabi

No they are not. There is no horse comparable to Epona. The bow and boomerang are both higher then any weapon in the game. Also the bow has completely unique mechanics. Your statement is actually false.

And the game balance is designed without those items in mind. They are completely extraneous and not integral to the base game in any way, shape, or form.

molnizzle

Man. I didn't realize the Amiibo bonuses were so good in this game. That really pisses me off.

Ugh. Please stop rewarding Nintendo for this bullshit by buying Amiibos. Y'all are ruining it for me.

And the game balance is designed without those items in mind. They are completely extraneous and not integral to the base game in any way, shape, or form.

This is a stupid ass argument, you could say that about any "pay to win" DLC that's ever existed.

I don't want to buy little plastic trinkets to clutter up my house. I shouldn't be gated away from some of the best items in the game because of it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Where is it available at MSRP? I don't have an issue with Amiibo pricing. I have an issue with the pointlessly limited availability driving up resale value to ludicrous levels.

The Switch isn't available at MSRP right now anywhere either, but at the moment demand is greater than supply. Give it a few weeks and it'll balance out and you should be able to pick up the entire line at MSRP.

The 30th Anniversary amiibo sat on the shelf for months, but Zelda fever is in high gear right now, so things are hard to come by.

Also, do check your local Toys R Us if you have one, they're typically where I find the most ample supply.

Yukinari

Im glad i saw what the various amiibo gave before i bought any. Really seems like the BoTW amiibo like Bow Link and Bokoblin are useless.

To think that we have a zelda game where you can wear EVERY tunic from each game as well as ride epona and wield stuff like ganon's sword. Thats a great way to reward owners of the figures.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if there would be as much outrage if non Zelda amiibo unlocked costumes. Like Mario gave you his overalls, hat and fire flower rod.

The costumes would make no sense being found in game so it would come off as a more obvious Amiibo related bonus.

Where is it available at MSRP? I don't have an issue with Amiibo pricing. I have an issue with the pointlessly limited availability driving up resale value to ludicrous levels.

They're not pointlessly limited availability, they've been readily available at retail price till they sold out a few days ago. People are fucking ridiculous with this bullshit.

You mean just like people ignoring that these amiibo have been readily available for months, but they just sold out a few days ago so suddenly the narrative is "purposefully limited".

Wereroku

You realize two of those are not actually in stock for shipping right?

They're not pointlessly limited availability, they've been readily available at retail price till they sold out a few days ago. People are fucking ridiculous with this bullshit.

You mean just like people ignoring that these amiibo have been readily available for months, but they just sold out a few days ago so suddenly the narrative is "purposefully limited".

I don't give a shit about the availability of the Amiibo. That is another side to the argument. My issue is the fact that I don't want to buy a bunch of shit plastic toys.

I used the link ones I had (actually I believe you can use multiple ones a day, just not the same one) to really help when I was whiffing trying to hit flying enemies in TPHD this week. It was a great amount of help, same with the hearts I used a few times when I was running low and didn't want to reset somewhere far away when I died.

I can see them being bonuses but cheats would be taking it too far I think. The armor/weapons you get from the Amiibo in Splatoon are garbage anyways so I think that's the farthest its reached so far in changing the user experience (since you can use those things online on Splatoon)

Top Bottom