• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Indians that good in IT ?

longdi

Banned
Seems even Intel is looking for an Indian ceo. What's with silicon valley shareholders fascination with Indians?

It is a small sample size, but i worked with Indians developers and support, i didn't get their gift for programming, leadership and stuffs. If i knew all those sql commands, i can probably do up a good nested logic. :D

Greedings

As far as I know, the Indian uinversities put a lot of emphasis on IT, and they're pretty damn good schools.

I mean...if you ignore all the plagiarism and cheating...but not everyone does that.

They are not...that great. Some of them a good though.
The thing is that there are a lot of them, so it is easier to find more stronger people among higher population. Just like with China - there will be more geniuses among 10 mil than among 10k.

llien

Seems even Intel is looking for an Indian ceo. What's with silicon valley shareholders fascination with Indians?

Citation needed, that Intel cares about ethnicity of its upcoming CEO. (previous one was formally fired for banging a female employee, whereas in reality it was turmoil caused by AMD's Ryzing)

As far as I know, the Indian uinversities put a lot of emphasis on IT, and they're pretty damn good schools.

I regularly see people who don't know basic OOP principles. So no, not really. Just my opinion based on my personal experience though.

Greedings

Citation needed, that Intel cares about ethnicity of its upcoming CEO. (previous one was formally fired for banging a female employee, whereas in reality it was turmoil caused by AMD's Ryzing)

I regularly see people who don't know basic OOP principles. So no, not really. Just my opinion based on my personal experience though.

I don't even know what OOP is, so I guess my judgment on the educational quality is irrelevant.

Reallink

Pretty much all of the TA's and tutors in my Uni's CS department were from India. Accents were super strong, couldn't understand a word they said. Was always puzzled how they wound up there.

Azurro

Banned

It is a small sample size, but i worked with Indians developers and support, i didn't get their gift for programming, leadership and stuffs. If i knew all those sql commands, i can probably do up a good nested logic. :D

No, most of the time when I had to work with Indian colleagues based in India and looking at their code, they are kinda awful.

It's a numbers thing, the quality in Europe and North America on average is much higher, but they are much cheaper, you can hire 8 coders in India for the salary of 1 coder in the US. Let's not forget, amongst the millions of terrible to average coders, there's going to be a few that are genuinely brilliant.

Shifty

My experience with the topic has a sample size of one- dude was totally on it as far as programming concepts went, but was also the undisputed king of premature optimization to the point where a ton of time got wasted building overcomplicated systems that would end up getting thrown out anyway due to changes in project scope.

I don't know that ethnicity has much to do with it though. Unless you're digging into national demographics and ignoring the idea that people of Indian heritage grow up and go through education all over the world, a good programmer is a good programmer.

I don't even know what OOP is, so I guess my judgment on the educational quality is irrelevant.
Object-Oriented Programming- classes, inheritance, polymorphism, and so on and so forth.

Last edited:

Relativ9

I work in IT, we have to cooperate a lot with Indian technicians, engineers and developers. Some of them are really good, some of them...incredibly dumb. I think western IT companies have a tendency to just throw people at problems in their Indian branches, I've been part of email chains where 10 developers at once have contributed their analysis, all coming up with widely different solutions to a problem, and almost none of them had any basis in reality or were even relevant to the issue at hand. Definitely seems to be a situation of quantity over quality, which is reflected in how little they are paid, you could probably hire 30 Indian engineers for the same price as my paycheck in Ireland. Chances are one of them will be good or better, or at the very least have the potential to eventually grow into a good engineer.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Yes indians are very good in computer engineering and programming and solving very complex mathematical objects

Pejo

Short answer: Some of them are

Long answer:
Sooooooommmmmeee oooooofffffffff tttthhheeeeemmmmm aaaaarrrrreeee

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Honestly, every single time I have called Microsoft for engineering support in Exchange and in the Cloud, the person on the opposite end is from India. I know this because I end up Googling their name and their LinkedIn profile shows me that information. I have met some incredibly intelligent people from India. I often think some of them have known PowerShell from birth. I have come across men and women from India who hold such high positions at Microsoft and various IT companies. Any time I have ever needed to deal with someone who is an engineer, they're usually located overseas and are of Indian descent. I am a true believer that the Middle East holds some of the world's smartest engineers, but I also believe that true anywhere you look. Look at all the OS developers and Engineers in the United States.

I hate it when people complain about overseas help. I deal with various vendors and some of their tech support are in the Philippines. Some of them are super helpful and I always believe there are a tremendous amount of intelligent people working IT. On occasion I will run into someone who just sits there and throws FAQ's from their website. Those people aren't helpful at all. In fact they make their company look bad.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I work in IT and we have a lot of Indians. Some are brilliant, some are really bad. Not really much different from the local talent.

Ka-Kui

So I've been working with this Indian dude for 2 years and he's graded below me in terms of seniority and pay, even talks fresh. We usually chill during lunch together.

One day I walk into him searching for a job and he had computering jobs on his search on the screen. Turns out he's got a degree in computer science - my mind was blown!

llien

Just like everywhere, there are a fair share of good and bad colleges.
Matches my impression.

What I think is different is demand for IT people.
It is much higher in India than anywhere else.
IT sector in India amounts to nearly 8% of GDP (as of 2017) at 160 billion USD (100 million from abroad).

By increasing sheer number of IT people in a country with over a billion, chances of coming across gems is higher, I'd dare speculate.

pr0cs

We started outsourcing heavily about 5 years ago, the h1b was used to great excess. As mentioned some are really good, friendly, resourceful. There is a strange sort of hierarchy though between them that they simply won't cross. I haven't asked them about it though. I know a few guys that can walk circles around their managers but they cowtow and boot lick and simply refuse to point out mistakes made by their superiors. Shit is really frustrating

entremet

It's a combination of educational culture, which has more of an emphasis on technical degrees compared to the US. Population size. Just a way bigger talent pool than the US. And lower wages for companies. The latter is a probably a huge reason why offshore teams are so common these days. You're saving tons of money.

Last edited:

McCheese

India has a massive population and a good IT-focused education system. So it's little wonder when you look at the extreme end of the scale it's filled with some great Indian developers. Intel has a bunch of great Indian engineers too.

Unfortunately the few I've worked with have been sloppy as fuck and not very good, but I wouldn't hold that against all of them.

Frozen Bagel

Neo Member
India had invested quite a bit into IT in the past combined with cheaper salary at near equivalent skills compared to western workers. You add that with the gaming of H1B visas companies basically get dirt cheap tech labor without the need to spend much in benefits because they’re all contractors. They also get the chance to preview the best picks of the litter for permanent employment

Apt101

Having dealt with plenty direct from India via professional services and via vendor support (mostly Microsoft and Symantec), they're no better or worse than IT workers from any other region I've dealt with.

Mohonky

India has a focus on IT particularly as much of it is outsourced to India.

It doesnt make them inherently any better or worse at it, just that there is a larger pool of qualified IT workers.

MayauMiao

Ugh I hate dealing with Indian IT support. I have a very hard time understanding their English pronunciation often time I asked them repeat. I don't think they are any better, and the only reason we hear them often when it comes to tech support call centers is because they are cheap to hire.

pramod

Banned
Like others have said its all about numbers. Theres a ton of Indians in IT so there will always be some who are brilliant and also a lot who are just mediocre.

One thing no one has brought up is their tribalism though. Hire one Indian and promote him up the ladder and he will hire more Indians and your company will gradually become mostly Indian. This is one of Silicon Valleys dirty secrets, like ageism. Thats why some people I talked to said thats why they rather not hire Indian people.

petran79

Banned
Ugh I hate dealing with Indian IT support. I have a very hard time understanding their English pronunciation often time I asked them repeat. I don't think they are any better, and the only reason we hear them often when it comes to tech support call centers is because they are cheap to hire.

Are they communicating with you from India?

Composer

Like others have said its all about numbers. Theres a ton of Indians in IT so there will always be some who are brilliant and also a lot who are just mediocre.

One thing no one has brought up is their tribalism though. Hire one Indian and promote him up the ladder and he will hire more Indians and your company will gradually become mostly Indian. This is one of Silicon Valleys dirty secrets, like ageism. Thats why some people I talked to said thats why they rather not hire Indian people.

Are you one of those self-hating indians?

longdi

Banned

You are right, i noticed this too, happens in the financial sector too. Sometimes i wonder if those in the higher ups were hired because of said tribalism, that the shareholders are oblivious to.

pr0cs

You are right, i noticed this too, happens in the financial sector too. Sometimes i wonder if those in the higher ups were hired because of said tribalism, that the shareholders are oblivious to.
Shareholders don't give a shit. Like everything these days they only care about the bottom line

Top Bottom