• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are left wing liberals more intolerant than right wing conservatives?

Do you want to speak to people with opposite views?

• Yes, I will take every chance I get

• Yes, but I'm not often allowed to

• No, I prefer speaking with people of similar minds

• No, it always ends in verbal fights

Results are only viewable after voting.

Romulus

Mar 21, 2019
It's odd, most liberals started off as open minded and have turned into something else entirely.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It's odd, most liberals started off as open minded and have turned into something else entirely.
Most evangelicals started off as compassionate and turned into something else entirely, too.

It is why it is important to suss whether the bad behavior on display is (A) stemming from a core belief of the ideology or is (B) using the ideology as a cover to make excuses for behavior that contradicts the core beliefs of the ideology.

Romulus

Mar 21, 2019
Most evangelicals started off as compassionate and turned into something else entirely, too.

It is why it is important to suss whether the bad behavior on display is (A) stemming from a core belief of the ideology or is (B) using the ideology as a cover to make excuses for behavior that contradicts the core beliefs of the ideology.
I'm sure on the whole, they all shift though the years.

I don't know much about the evangelical base. Is there a general consensus that they're assholes?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I'm sure on the whole, they all shift though the years.

I don't know much about the evangelical base. Is there a general consensus that they're assholes?
Claiming to represent compassion and charity while screeching at people who do not agree with one's religious views is generally considered an asshole move. I say that as a christian who grew up in the 80s/90s evangelical USA. It's not a smear against all evangelicals, just a comparison to demonstrate a point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Claiming to represent compassion and charity while screeching at people who do not agree with one's religious views is generally considered an asshole move. I say that as a christian who grew up in the 80s/90s evangelical USA. It's not a smear against all evangelicals, just a comparison to demonstrate a point.
The far left intersectional IdPol loonies are just like the Westboro Baptist cult.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
The issue is that when you get on the fringes, both want change for the sake of change, and aren't willing to accept anything but their version of perfection. Their ideology eventually collapses on itself like a black hole, as they will eventually consume the leaders who got them into a place of power in the first place.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
The issue is that when you get on the fringes, both want change for the sake of change, and aren't willing to accept anything but their version of perfection. Their ideology eventually collapses on itself like a black hole, as they will eventually consume the leaders who got them into a place of power in the first place.
It's ideological cannibalism.

We act more and more like single cell organisms than we realize which react the same way. It just seems we have evolved in a much more broader way of said patterns. Our bodies are made up of billions of these cells doing the very same thing every moment of our existence, and we socially express those very traits.

Connect that to our planet, and it's a wonder our actions have a reaction to it (the climate, etc.). Even with the energy we give off I would wager, since higher concentrations of people seem to have patterns of natural impacts in their environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Hmm, I wonder if we have any historical examples of this occurring. Would you please point me to some good reference material that I could read or watch to perhaps determine if we've seen this before, or maybe we've even published books about this happening, and so forth? All I have are memes and clips of CNN rants to frame my perception of human history.

• LOL
Reactions: Cybrwzrd

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
20XX liberalism = authoritarianism

If you think outside the box you are cancelled or some pink haired cunt tries to hit you with a bat in the name of tolerance. Try being the key word as they milksops are weak as fuck.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
As a liberal with what I think are reasonable views, I subscribe to the horseshoe theory. Those on the far left and far right have more in common with each other than they do with the more moderate of their own respective groups.

Both are authoritarian. Both are unreasonable. Both harbor what can only be explained as hateful views towards certain groups of people. Both reject scientific truths when they don't fit their narratives / make them uncomfortable. Etc.

betrayal

Feb 2, 2018
In my personal opinion and experience, politically left-wing persons are not very receptive to other views, which are very different from their own. There are exceptions, but these are actually rather rare. I wish I could say something else, but I can't, even if some leftist or green ideas are sometimes to some extent or even generally good, most things are nonsense. Interestingly enough, these are always the things that you can easily refute or at least criticize with simple facts.

I'm still waiting for leftists to be able to refute any known opinions of politically more right-wing people with facts in a media-effective way. The other way round, we see it all the time, which makes the insubstantiality of the political left very clear.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Obviously, people on both sides have their levels of intolerance. Liberals are by far the worst.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Since I want a balanced discussion, I will start to say there are many complete idiots on both sides. There are people who think that the white race is in threat of extinction by evil banker and media jews, and there are people who think that society owes them everything, that they have no personal responsibility and that they only have rights - but no obligations.

But in my experience, people on the left are more intolerant to other people's opinions. Compare 4chan to Resetera. What will happen if you preach about feminism or left wing ideology on /pol/? People will attack you, call you a lot of nasty things - but they won't ban you. They won't silence you. And what happens if you preach about Trump and biology (two genders) on Resetera? You will get banned immediately for having the "wrong" opinions. And these forums are not isolated, I have seen exactly the same in Sweden.

Flashback is a famous right wing forum in Sweden. They allow everything, but you have to be ready to take some heat. Kind of like 4chan. Meanwhile, Familjeliv is a left wing forum where you get banned immdiately for saying even the slightest nasty thing or questioning LGBTQ etc. I've been around for a long time, and I can see this trend everywhere: right wing forums allow people to call each other nasty things, but they won't ban very easily. Left wing forum bans as much as they can because they don't allow different opinions.

Left wingers often say that you can't be tolerant towards intolerance. And while there's some truth to that, I think they're taking it too far. What kind of world would we live in if people weren't allowed to question everything? I think this partly has to do with that leftist typically see righters as evil, while righters see leftists as dumb. You make fun of dumb people, but you ban evil ones.

The basic problem is polarization. I love to talk to feminists, because they have such different viewpoints than me. The problem is, I can rarely talk to them as they only want to speak to people who agrees with them on everything. And that is a common problem today. Everyone is so senstive and full of themselves that they can't speak to people with different views. The "my ideology is 100% right, yours is 100% wrong" mentality is a problem. But I experience that this is more problematic among left wing liberals. For example, this thread would have been impossible on Resetera.

What do you think?
Post this thread here: Resetera.com

After you are banned and come back here, you'll know the answer to your question. ;)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
Much of what is considered modern “conservative” ideology has roots in liberalism. They wish to conserve the ideals of free thought and free markets.

Yes, it also get co-opted by reactionaries and regressive types who want to utilize the state to return to a “better” time. Those people are not conservatives as they are reactionaries.

The far left on the other hand has shifted outside of liberalism into collectivism. Sadly that faction has a lot of power right now, much like the religious right did in decades past.

It’s too late to fully flesh this out, I’ll try to remember to come back tomorrow to this to better explain.
Yeah, conservatives are more classical liberals than liberals themselves.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
This discussion between Adam Corolla pretty much covers this topic. The meat starts at like 46:56

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Rubin is government plant, don't give him the moneys.

He reported the Doctor of Common Sense on YouTube for discrimination, don't trust him.