• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Millennials really the next "Great Generation"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobi

Banned
If we can turn the world around and prevent it's collapse from all the damage done to it by boomers and genXers, then yes. If the world Collapses, then no.

The damage is non-reversible, we can only slow it down (enviromentally speaking).
The growing disparity between rich and poor countries will also be a big problem.

And what can "we" do anyway? Millenials don't have a say in anything.
The powers that be are politicians of old age and heads of huge corporations...

vpance

The damage is non-reversible, we can only slow it down (enviromentally speaking).
The growing disparity between rich and poor countries will also be a big problem.

And what can "we" do anyway? Millenials don't have a say in anything.
The powers that be are politicians of old age and heads of huge corporations...

When all those old guys die out things can start to really change. Give it another 20-30 years

Pagusas

Elden Member
When all those old guys die out things can start to really change. Give it another 20-30 years

Hahhaha, in 20-30 years this generation will be where the baby boomers are now, fiscally and power wise, and will be just as much (if not bigger) dicks then them. Once you get money and power it changes your view and stance on social issues. Power changes people, and in 30 years when this generation has it, they'll be making choices that the new generations will hate.

dabig2

I wouldn't be so sure about the older you get the more conservative you get.

Take for example the Greatest Generation. They were consistently and solidly Democratic all throughout the latter half of the 20th century.

The fact is that your birth year really corresponds with how you will vote in later life.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/11/the_disunited_states_of_america_why_demographics_republican_obstructionism.html
and some more research
http://www.people-press.org/2011/11/03/the-generation-gap-and-the-2012-election-3/

Millennials will probably turn out like the Greatest Generation when it comes to partisan leanings throughout their lives. Living through Clinton, then Bush, then Obama and having them, in that order, during their formative years will probably lock a majority of them into furthering Progressive behaviors as they age.

In other words, Dubya really fucked Conservatives over. Oh, and also there is/will be a shift of power from white males to everyone else, so the whole "FYGM" and holding onto power as much as possible will probably not be repeated by such a astonishingly diverse mega-group that are the Millennials. The country as a whole is a lot bigger and a lot more different from the 50s-80s which did see a lot of Boomers and Silents transitioning into "Fuck You" mode. I personally don't think Millennials will follow that trend. At least I hope not.

cdyhybrid

What's with the obsession over millenials? Apparently we have to be either the greatest generation yet or the worst ever, and it has to be decided RIGHT NOW. Do old people have nothing better to occupy their time with?

I think some people take this whole "generation" stuff too seriously, and blow it out of proportion. The media's coverage and opinions of it isn't helping matters either.

I never really took the time to learn what generation I was (late Gen-X) until about 5 years ago. Prior to that, I never paid much attention to that stuff. Neither does anyone else I know well IRL.

In other words, Dubya really fucked Conservatives over. Oh, and also there is/will be a shift of power from white males to everyone else, so the whole "FYGM" and holding onto power as much as possible will probably not be repeated by such a astonishingly diverse mega-group that are the Millennials. The country as a whole is a lot bigger and a lot more different from the 50s-80s which did see a lot of Boomers and Silents transitioning into "Fuck You" mode. I personally don't think Millennials will follow that trend. At least I hope not.

ehh, I wouldn't blame Bush for conservatives being fucked, Bush was/is only a Meat Puppet for conservatives. Conservative are always destined to fuck themselves over because of their FYGM attitude.

MC Safety

If this message board is a microcosm of the way millennials will handle their lives, their businesses, and their civic duty, then we are all done for.

The guys in the pro-wrestling section here did a casual survey of recent threads dedicated to "Am I the only one...?" and "Help me, NeoGaf!" You people are as self-absorbed as you are incapable of independent thought and decision making.

I mean, when you're asking for cooking advice while you're cooking ...

If this message board is a microcosm of the way millennials will handle their lives, their businesses, and their civic duty, then we are all done for.

The guys in the pro-wrestling section here did a casual survey of recent threads dedicated to "Am I the only one...?" and "Help me, NeoGaf!" You people are as self-absorbed as you are incapable of independent thought and decision making.

I'm interested in this casual survey. Tell me more.

I'd say people have always asked for advice on things, it just used to not be on the internet. I think its just a new way of doing things, and not really completely because of narcissism. It is interesting that people will open to strangers on certain things for help, but in some ways its almost to be expected. Something you don't want to talk about with close friends/family maybe. As for cooking advice, I wouldn't base opinions of independence on it. Sometimes society just changes and of course the internet is going to dramatically impact social norms, but for the most part things stay in the same. Of you hate millennials, then your really going to hate the next generation coming up that doesn't know a world without internet or social media.

Furthermore, it isn't a given that social media will even stick around. Things shift.

rokkerkory

They seem to care more about each other and the planet and are more progressive.

They aren't as good with money however I don't think.

That's just from my purview in Bay Area, CA.

I am barely on the border of a millennial and gen x.

hoos30

A generation's greatness is directly proportional to the challenge that they face and overcome. What we today call the "greatest" generation was actually called the "lost" generation as they were growing up during the depression.

It's really cute that so many people think that once a greedy selfish generation dies greed and selfishness will die along with them.
Endangered rhinos and extinct whales will also start popping out randomly once those awful old people die I'm sure.

It's easy to care about things, but if you don't actually do something about it then it doesn't matter. Keeps saying you care I guess.

Fuck arbitrary generational division. We're in this together. I'll feel optimism about the potential greatness of mankind when earnestness makes a comeback. I'm tired of painfully self aware pop culture that's stuck in a rut of trying to appear as something it's not. Given the popularity of social media and the current crop of try-hard music, art, and entertainment I'm not feeling especially inspired by the comings and goings of my fellow homo sapiens.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Speculation on what a generation will do always reminds me of Dennis Hopper in Flashback: "Once we get outta the '80s, the '90s are gonna make the '60s look like the '50s!" Arbitrary division by date that means nothing concrete and turns out wrong anyway.

MC Safety

I'd say people have always asked for advice on things....

Maybe. But maybe it's also that people want to be listened to coupled with a genuine lack of decision making skills. And when you're wondering if you're the only one who whatever, let's be honest, there's some self-absorbtion there.

What's with the obsession over millenials? Apparently we have to be either the greatest generation yet or the worst ever, and it has to be decided RIGHT NOW. Do old people have nothing better to occupy their time with?

Actually I see more millennials writing about millennials more than anything.

Maybe. But maybe it's also that people want to be listened to coupled with a genuine lack of decision making skills. And when you're wondering if you're the only one who whatever, let's be honest, there's some self-absorption there.

I see your point and can't really argue against it, because I don't have knowledge of how self-absorption translates to all the past generations.

dabig2

ehh, I wouldn't blame Bush for conservatives being fucked, Bush was/is only a Meat Puppet for conservatives. Conservative are always destined to fuck themselves over because of their FYGM attitude.

Well, to me and you it's obvious. At some point that dam has to burst. You can't keep hundreds of millions people down forever as you wreck the environment while simultaneously destroying the welfare net that keeps so many from falling into the abyss, since they also have kept wages stagnant and let the banks and corporations use the public money like monopoly money (see 2007 recession).

Nevertheless, we're still trying to wash the stink of Reagan off us after 35 years, and Bush II definitely helped that along. He's basically this generation's Herbert Hoover and the Millennials that grew up during his term are those New Deal Democrat youngsters that more or less stuck with the party brand over the next 6 decades after not being impressed with what the Republicans were dishing out and preaching.

FoxSpirit

I recently visited my German relatives, we had some interesting conversations. All agreed that they, the retired generation, has no clue how to solve this whole mess and it's completely in our hands. They also admitted how hard this was gonna be.

Also, as one uncle put it: in my lifetime, I have only seen things go up. Economy, science, society, everything looked on a straight upward paths. He can not even imagine how it feels like to live a life where fighting against decline is a main issue. That even when doing your best, you might be out of a job. Doing your best, you will still not be able to accumulate wealth. Knowing that things may go bad and you have little power to do anything against it. He said he is happy to be as old as he is and having lived the life he lived. He wishes us the best.

I admit, this moved me deeply.

Corporatism needs a way greater spotlight. Donation to politicians > pass favorable policy > market manipulation ending result where corps profit far bigger than their donations. Stuff like this just isn't fair.

edit: my bad, wrong topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom