• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Social Are non white little girls allowed to dress up like the frozen princesses?

Christopher

Mar 19, 2005

Do you not remember this garbage liberal pieces about children not allowed to dress up as their favorite characters due to cultural appropriation???

I took my two little ones to see frozen 2 and saw all little girls of all ethnicities dressing up like the frozen girls. It was a beautiful thing.

Who’s exactly writing the rules on this garbage of what and what isn’t cultural appropriation? Everyone should just be what they want to be and call it cultural appreciation.

pulga

Sep 24, 2007
children are free to wear whatever they want as long as their hypothetically dumbass parents dont paint their skin

unless theyre the furries from avatar

• LOL
Reactions: infinitys_7th

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I think the goal is to have them dress up as Gustav or Prince Charming.

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
When my mother found out people were upset that little girls were dressing up as Moana and boys as Maui, her response was, "Fuck is wrong with people?" My mother is Hawaiian, born and raised. The left has figuratively pushed my mother to the right. When people on the left were telling my Mom that she'd be voting against her best interest if she voted for Trump she literally went out and bought a MAGA hat and just said fuck the left. She, a minority woman, wasn't gonna let ANYONE tell her how to vote. Kids aren't naturally assholes, they are taught that, they don't give a single shit about cultural appropriation as they just want to have fun and play with their friends. So these grown ass adults need to stop projecting their politics and other issues onto children.

I'd say that people that get up and yell at you or a child for a Halloween costume aren't people that are worth wasting your time with anyways. Just teach your kids that those are the type of people that no one enjoys being around and explain why.

Last edited:

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
By pointing out the difference in race to children at such a young age these parents are breeding the next generation of racists. When you chisel that into a child’s mind at such an impressionable age they’re going to look at those of other races differently for the rest of their lives.

It’s actually poetic in a way except SJW really don’t give a fuck about their kids and what kind of issues they’re introducing that will manifest on down the line. The only thing they’re concerned with is what kinda brownie points they’ll win with the other SJWs.

pulga

Sep 24, 2007
No need but if the kid/parent wants to, there's no problem. You know what's cringe as fuck? People who tell kids to stick to their own race.
Not for you to say if there isn't a problem though.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Who thought of this ridiculous concept? Ok, exploitative corporate behaviour is one thing, but harmless homages to iconic cultures or characters is an insult to anyone’s intelligence.

Has anyone vetted if Moana, or any other non white media has the right diversity balance to be allowed to produce such content?

People need to rise up and wind back this madness.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I saw frozen 2. They have retrocannon'd the sisters as mixed race... part white, part stereotypical noble savage 'untouched by civilization until evil white colonizer stole their dreams and attempted to destroy them with technology and climate change'. Not kidding.

So. I don't know the rules anymore. [Dress your kids up as whatever makes them happy]

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Normal folks (97% of people): Hey kids, it's Halloween. Dress up as your favourite character!

That 1% group of low self esteem racist asstards: Hey kids, it's Halloween. Make sure to only dress up in characters matching your own skin colour!

That 1% group of extra low esteem racist asstards (White family): Hey kids, it's Halloween. Since we're White, make sure to only dress up in White characters. If you dress up as a dark skinned character, other people might complain.

That 1% group of extra low esteem racist asstards (Minority family): Hey kids, it's Halloween. Since we're a minority, it's open season to dress up as any character - even White ones. But if you see a White student dressing up as Pocahontas, Mulan, or Moana, make sure to tell them they are not allowed to have fun dressing up as a Disney cartoon character made by a billion dollar corporation. Our entire family tree and esteem depends on cartoons drawn by random artists at Disney headquarters.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Fuck is wrong with people?

Kids dressing up as fictional characters, who cares? If they're happy, leave them alone.

Won't someone please think of the children?
Seriously, it’s grown ass adults, bitching at other grown ass adults about being triggered on what a child wants to be for Halloween.

Children do that out of admiration, not malice.

Nothing but adults ruining shit for kids, robbing them of their innocence by pushing their own prejudices on them.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Silly stuff.

Remember when Jake and Josh pretended to be Kenan and Kel and no one said it was appropriation? Good times.

But seriously, this is all just nonsense to cause issues so that our good ol' friends in DC "intervene", people used to wear fat albert and Micheal Jackson masks all the time back in the day for parties and other times, the issue are the ones that paint their face black, but todays SJW's backed my the media have expanded it, so now you can't really do anything as a white guy if a balck guy was involved,

So because of this white people can't wear a frylock mask because he was voiced by a black guy or have the theme song pumping from their radios because it's by schoolly D because appropriation or something.

During the Aqua Teen theater bomb scare, which was stupid and shouldn't have happened, people said that the reason why "some" of the people suspected and held should have been let go because they were in front of a frylock balloon and he has a black voice actor.

It's all apart of clown world.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Member the Democrats speaking broken Spanish at the debates? Now that's cringe worthy and offensive, pandering, appropriating another's language for gain. Pepperidge farm remembers.

Reactions: Teletraan1

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Isn’t for you to say that it isn’t for him to say.
What always amazes me about this sort of thing is that the loudest voices, and the biggest amount of people who get upset over this sort of nonsensical crap, are people who it doesn't directly affect.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again to all those who just cannot stop themselves;

Mind your own damn business.

Apr 12, 2013
It says dressing them up as the characters is fine. Ok great...

It then says it is not fine to wear Mexican stuff like a sombrero/poncho/mustache, Native American stuff, cornrows, or hijabs. What will happen if you do is some white or black person from the burbs may be quite offended for the Mexicans, or the native Americans etc.

To me it would only go too far when you're using a stereotype negatively. Like if you're white and do cornrows and gold teeth and then make yourself a gangster or whatever. Or if you were to wear a hijab with a bomb attached and decided it would be hilarious to go as a terrorist for Halloween. Reinforcing negative stereotypes is bad. Going as an Indian because it looks bad ass is not bad. Anyone saying otherwise can eat shit.

I guess if an actual Native American saw me dressed as one and was upset about it, then I'd absolutely respect their wishes. I haven't had that happen though just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeafTourette

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
No. We must have armed guards at every costume party to enforce racial boundaries in regards to costumes.

But no seriously it’s fine.

A black girl wearing a bleach-blonde Elsa wig sounds like it would look a bit weird tho, but I ain’t judgin.

Christopher

Mar 19, 2005
When I was a child
What always amazes me about this sort of thing is that the loudest voices, and the biggest amount of people who get upset over this sort of nonsensical crap, are people who it doesn't directly affect.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again to all those who just cannot stop themselves;

Mind your own damn business.
Add a fucking for drama
Mind your fucking own business

Pagusas

Jun 9, 2006
Prosper, Tx
I raised a question similar to this once and the reply I got was “white people dont have a culture to appropriate, there for anything they do is open to use without criticism”.

That answer never jived or felt right to me, but I had no desire to go down that rabbit hole, nothing good could come of it.

I’m for anyone can do anything within reason, culture is a man made construct, the idea it’s some god given right of inheritance bothers me.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2008
Freedom of speech, and by extension, expression is absolute. And quite honestly, this is really a 1A scenario.

• You have the right to offend
  • You don't have the right not to be offended
The reason there is no such thing as a right to be free from being offended is, this ultimately leads to censorship of "wrong think" by certain groups drumming up outrage around ideas they do not agree with.

So, go out there, let your kid dress up as whatever they want and go so far as to use this as an opportunity to teach your kid about the beauty of the 1st amendment.

But what do I know...I dressed up as a bloody tampon for Halloween when I was in late elementary school or middle school...

Reactions: desertdroog

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
When my mother found out people were upset that little girls were dressing up as Moana and boys as Maui, her response was, "Fuck is wrong with people?" My mother is Hawaiian, born and raised. The left has figuratively pushed my mother to the right. When people on the left were telling my Mom that she'd be voting against her best interest if she voted for Trump she literally went out and bought a MAGA hat and just said fuck the left. She, a minority woman, wasn't gonna let ANYONE tell her how to vote. Kids aren't naturally assholes, they are taught that, they don't give a single shit about cultural appropriation as they just want to have fun and play with their friends. So these grown ass adults need to stop projecting their politics and other issues onto children.

I'd say that people that get up and yell at you or a child for a Halloween costume aren't people that are worth wasting your time with anyways. Just teach your kids that those are the type of people that no one enjoys being around and explain why.
That's fucking awesome. I live in the Philippines and we really don't mind it if those big scary white foreigners partake in our native customs or even put on native dress. In fact, we welcome people to partake in our culture as per our hospitality.

In turn, we let our children dress up as any character they want. I've seen a lot of kids dress up as superheroes, Disney characters, fairies and others. Their parents are ready them their little fantasies and imagination, as they should. I've found it's usually the activist nutters who try to lecture children on being true to our nationalist roots and reject western culture.

The bit about your mom voting Republican as a middle finger to Left made me laugh. Democrats should realize that the majority of Filipino immigrants in the United States are right leaning and vote Republican.

Reactions: spandexmonkey

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011

That's fucking awesome. I live in the Philippines and we really don't mind it if those big scary white foreigners partake in our native customs or even put on native dress. In fact, we welcome people to partake in our culture as per our hospitality.

In turn, we let our children dress up as any character they want. I've seen a lot of kids dress up as superheroes, Disney characters, fairies and others. Their parents are ready them their little fantasies and imagination, as they should. I've found it's usually the activist nutters who try to lecture children on being true to our nationalist roots and reject western culture.

The bit about your mom voting Republican as a middle finger to Left made me laugh. Democrats should realize that the majority of Filipino immigrants in the United States are right leaning and vote Republican.
Growing up, we've always been happy to have anyone/everyone partake in our culture. Let's all just get together and have a good time. Let's enjoy the time we can spend we each other kind of mantra. It's Aloha. When I went overseas to the other Asian countries it was the exact same way(well mostly that way, Japan was a little bit racist) but almost every place was thrilled to have people partake in their cultural specifics. It was awesome. The people that cry "cultural appropriation" are some of the worst as they are advocating for everyone to never learn about a different culture. Learning about each others cultures is how this world has run since the dawn of humanity. We learn things about each other and if things are great like food, music, art then we'll appreciate it or trade for it. If things are better in other cultures like irrigation, farming, industry, we'll adopt them and ALL grow as a species. If "appropriating" a culture helps you understand mine better and helps you too, why the fuck is that a problem?

You'll get assclowns that will be mean spirited and disrespectful of ANY culture. But those people are shit heads anyways and aren't worth entertaining anyways so let them be and they'll go away. There are so many more people that just want to have a good time than want to be intentional dick heads that to hear that it's made such an issue in the first place is hilarious and sad.

Speaking of Philippine GreyHorace GreyHorace I remember my buddy invited me over to his house for a birthday party/cookout as a teenager. I remember him telling me not to try the chocolate sauce and balut. Told me what the balut was, but refused to talk about the chocolate sauce. I remember eating a ton of pig and then trying the sauce with his whole family watching me. Tried it and said "it's alright I guess" and they all laughed telling me what it was. It was awesome and hilarious and was a great time.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyHorace

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
Growing up, we've always been happy to have anyone/everyone partake in our culture. Let's all just get together and have a good time. Let's enjoy the time we can spend we each other kind of mantra. It's Aloha. When I went overseas to the other Asian countries it was the exact same way(well mostly that way, Japan was a little bit racist) but almost every place was thrilled to have people partake in their cultural specifics. It was awesome. The people that cry "cultural appropriation" are some of the worst as they are advocating for everyone to never learn about a different culture. Learning about each others cultures is how this world has run since the dawn of humanity. We learn things about each other and if things are great like food, music, art then we'll appreciate it or trade for it. If things are better in other cultures like irrigation, farming, industry, we'll adopt them and ALL grow as a species. If "appropriating" a culture helps you understand mine better and helps you too, why the fuck is that a problem?

You'll get assclowns that will be mean spirited and disrespectful of ANY culture. But those people are shit heads anyways and aren't worth entertaining anyways so let them be and they'll go away. There are so many more people that just want to have a good time than want to be intentional dick heads that to hear that it's made such an issue in the first place is hilarious and sad.

Speaking of Philippine GreyHorace GreyHorace I remember my buddy invited me over to his house for a birthday party/cookout as a teenager. I remember him telling me not to try the chocolate sauce and balut. Told me what the balut was, but refused to talk about the chocolate sauce. I remember eating a ton of pig and then trying the sauce with his whole family watching me. Tried it and said "it's alright I guess" and they all laughed telling me what it was. It was awesome and hilarious and was a great time.
I recently watched a documentary series called Science and Islam, which is about how the early Islamic empire brought about some early scientific breakthroughs during the 7th to 9th centuries. And how did they do that? By inviting scholars from different nations and cultures to travel to Baghdad and make numerous contributions to the growing scientific community there, as the Caliphs were very generous with their wealth in exchange for knowledge.

Isn't that cultural appropriation? How the fuck can these SJWs complain about such a monumental achievement in the advancement of the sciences? If the Islamic Empire hadn't bothered to contact Indian mathematicians, we wouldn't be using the Hindu numerals that we use for our numbers today. If an Islamic mathematician hadn't had the brilliant idea to combine Greek geometry and Hindu numerals, we wouldn't have algebra. And that's not counting the numerous medical remedies that they learned from the Chinese and as far away as Africa.

I strongly suspect that a lot of these 'woke' SJWs don't know shit about how culture and history are intertwined.

And yes, I can relate to your story about the chocolate sauce. We Filipinos are friendly and hospitable but we sure love to play pranks with people who've never tried our food before. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
You know, as a Greek i find this whole cultural appropriation thing so funny. Or ancient history and mythology are the most sacred things for us. And yet, the same people who cry about cultural appropriation also defend shit like a black actor portraying Achilles in that shitty Troy series... Shitting on Greek culture seems fine to them, it's even a good "brave" thing. But little girls dressing up as some Hawaiian character? Hell no, that's where they draw the line.

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
Basically, wearing anything you would buy at a gift shop in the country your visiting is a trigger point for some poeple.
Why the fuck would anyone get triggered at that? Don't these woke idiots know what tourism means and how much money countries make from it? You think countries are going to withhold culture from curious visitors for the sake of some social justice ideal?

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
The Lberals keep telling everyone what is offensive to wear, yet they’re the ones that keep getting caught wearing blackface and dressing up like giant pussies, like pink fleshy versions of the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

As for the topic, I think kids should be able to dress up like whatever they want assuming their parents approve.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

To me it would seem that if a popular character was being emulated/worn all over the country it would be a source of pride for those particular people. I know anytime I see something Finnish I'm like "cool".(SISU bumper sticker from time to time)

If one part, image, or character of one culture all of a sudden blows up and everyone from other races and cultures all of a sudden embraces it, how is this bad? Unless it's done in a harmful manner(mocking, shaming, violent)it would seems to be a good thing, and open up both sides to new ideas.

Those who get angry want everything segregated into perfect little squares, each group only allowed to do exactly what "they are supposed to do or be" are the ones who to me, are the bigots. Sick of hearing from them and I think most people are at this point.