• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Social Are non white little girls allowed to dress up like the frozen princesses?

spandexmonkey

Dec 17, 2009
Memphis, TN
Personally, I always look at intent. Remember that Korean cosplayer dressed up as Sombra and the typical crowd grabbed their pitchforks? I'm Hispanic and when I saw her I thought she looked good. There isn't an ounce of cruelty or racial mockery in what she did.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lock2k

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
To me it would seem that if a popular character was being emulated/worn all over the country it would be a source of pride for those particular people. I know anytime I see something Finnish I'm like "cool".(SISU bumper sticker from time to time)

If one part, image, or character of one culture all of a sudden blows up and everyone from other races and cultures all of a sudden embraces it, how is this bad? Unless it's done in a harmful manner(mocking, shaming, violent)it would seems to be a good thing, and open up both sides to new ideas.

Those who get angry want everything segregated into perfect little squares, each group only allowed to do exactly what "they are supposed to do or be" are the ones who to me, are the bigots. Sick of hearing from them and I think most people are at this point.
What's galling to me is the utter hypocrisy of their arguments. Like when they announced recently that a black girl had been cast Ariel in the live action remake of The Little Mermaid. All the woke crowd was giddy with excitement because 'black people were finely getting representation' or some shit.

These are the same people who'd throw obscenities if a white girl dressed as Moana. In their twisted little minds, minority characters are sacred cows that cannot be touched by dirty white hands, but white characters like Ariel are free game for diversity stunt casting. It's no give and all take for these nutters.

As for segregating people into little boxes, I'd like to see these SJWs try it with Filipinos. If you must know, Japanese anime and manga are pretty popular in my country. We've been watching anime from Japan since way back in the 70's. The most popular of which has to be:

In Japan, Choudenji Machine Voltes V was just one of many giant robot shows that aired. But in the Philippines? It's the most popular anime of all time. Go up to any local here in my country and 8 times out of 10 they'll likely know the lyrics to the opening theme word for word.

But wait, the woke crowd says that anime and manga from Japan is problematic and shouldn't be imported lest it trigger some sensitive folks. You tell any local Filipino they can't watch Voltes V anymore and they'd probably get a black eye for their trouble.

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil

Do you not remember this garbage liberal pieces about children not allowed to dress up as their favorite characters due to cultural appropriation???

I took my two little ones to see frozen 2 and saw all little girls of all ethnicities dressing up like the frozen girls. It was a beautiful thing.

Who’s exactly writing the rules on this garbage of what and what isn’t cultural appropriation? Everyone should just be what they want to be and call it cultural appreciation.
There is no cultural appropriation. Culture is open source.

Only idiots belive in such a concept.

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
Here is my daughter with her favorite hero .

If she ever wants to dress up like him, I'll say "go for it!".

Only spoiled/idiot adults care about this race thing when it comes to dressing up as fictional characters.

Honestly? If I was in your shoes, I'd kick the ass of the first woke idiot who'd harass my little girl for liking and dressing up as her favorite superhero.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
What's galling to me is the utter hypocrisy of their arguments. Like when they announced recently that a black girl had been cast Ariel in the live action remake of The Little Mermaid. All the woke crowd was giddy with excitement because 'black people were finely getting representation' or some shit.

These are the same people who'd throw obscenities if a white girl dressed as Moana. In their twisted little minds, minority characters are sacred cows that cannot be touched by dirty white hands, but white characters like Ariel are free game for diversity stunt casting. It's no give and all take for these nutters.

As for segregating people into little boxes, I'd like to see these SJWs try it with Filipinos. If you must know, Japanese anime and manga are pretty popular in my country. We've been watching anime from Japan since way back in the 70's. The most popular of which has to be:

In Japan, Choudenji Machine Voltes V was just one of many giant robot shows that aired. But in the Philippines? It's the most popular anime of all time. Go up to any local here in my country and 8 times out of 10 they'll likely know the lyrics to the opening theme word for word.

But wait, the woke crowd says that anime and manga from Japan is problematic and shouldn't be imported lest it trigger some sensitive folks. You tell any local Filipino they can't watch Voltes V anymore and they'd probably get a black eye for their trouble.
In the end what blows my mind is that these people are doing exactly what they are foaming at the mouth about.

Do they not see that?

Texas Pride

Feb 27, 2018
Texas
It ain't hard to be mad about shit if you constantly look for reasons to be mad about shit. Like others have said stay in your lane and if shit bothers you maybe don't tell everyone like they give a fuck. Go scream and bite your pillow.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Here is my daughter with her favorite hero .

If she ever wants to dress up like him, I'll say "go for it!".

Only spoiled/idiot adults care about this race thing when it comes to dressing up as fictional characters.

Cool. Do it.

Just don't be surprised if you and her get evil looks for dressing up as a black guy! lol

You know how some people are even when it comes to cartoon superheroes........... got to dress as your real life ethnic background!

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyHorace

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Cool. Do it.

Just don't be surprised if you and her get evil looks for dressing up as a black guy! lol

You know how some people are even when it comes to cartoon superheroes........... got to dress as your real life ethnic background!
Segregation. Now where did we get this from again in the past? :pie_thinking:

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
Cool. Do it.

You know what's interesting? She doesn't even know what a white or black person is. She just likes people and she knows they have different shades, I like her toddler train of thought. It's really simple and good. She does know what Japanese people look like and she really loves Japanese food. It's really fun.

Doom85

Mar 3, 2018
They most likely won't. My cousin's daughter dressed as Doc McStuffins several years ago for Halloween without incident. Both this year and last year had some white kids in Black Panther's costume show up for candy on Halloween. They didn't look like anyone had bothered them. I own a Black Panther shirt with the whole cast on it, no one has given me grief for it or even an odd look.

That being said, and I suspect this will fall on mostly deaf ears on this forum, if you're an adult in the US you should be generally aware of the history of blackface. Other countries may not be as familiar with it but people who grew up in the US have less of an excuse. Now, obviously a child will not know this and should not be shamed if they request make-up to darken their skin when dressing up as a black/Hispanic/etc. character.

That being said, A) the adult themselves should not suggest makeup. It's usually not necessary as the outfit will likely be enough to indicate who the character is, and honestly to me that feels like the adult is just using their child hoping to trigger someone which is just scummy behavior in my book, leave the kid out of that shit, and B) if the child does request it, consider gently telling them that people many years ago used this sort of makeup to insult people of darker skin and that it can remind some people of those unhappy times. If the child still wants to do it, then yeah go for it but also pick your battles. If someone gives you shit for your child wearing it, just walk away. Starting an argument or even worse a fight will just make the child's holiday experience even worse. Swallow your pride, as a parent Halloween should be about your kid(s) first and foremost not you.

These are all SUGGESTIONS. Hopefully no one's too oversensitive and gives me shit for saying all that. And if someone says, "hey, they're just a kid, even vaguely explaining the history of blackface is more than they're ready for", I think you underestimate what kids can handle. Lord knows Mr. Rogers was laying down heavier stuff on his show when I was growing up.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
These SJWs aren't getting it and ruining everything! I remember when my close female friend and I went to see Captain Marvel earlier this year... After we saw it and sat down outside the bar (Studio Movie Grill), we saw this little black girl with a Captain Marvel costume on... Smile as big as anything ... NOT cultural appropriation.

Also, I think some in this thread AND SJWs have the term all wrong. Cultural appropriation is when you take something of a culture and claim that YOU invented it.

Wearing a Moana costume isn't it. Wearing an Elsa costume isn't it.

But wearing traditional dress (from whatever culture) and using it as a joke or something just might offend those from that culture. But that's case by case. Won't apply to everyone.

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
Oh... And ANYONE can dress up as Black Panther or Black Lightning ... Or Falcon or Blue Marvel or ... Just don't do black face.
This is one of those issues, where I think that it really really REALLY depends on the intent. I don't think anyone would argue that black face in general is completely fucked up, there really isn't a great argument against it. However, there are instances where an individual is trying to emulate a character so completely that it's not the intent of the person doing it to cause offense. A prime example being that girl that did the cosplay of the girl from Apex Legends. She absolutely nailed who she was cosplaying as, it wasn't mean spirited(maybe a bit tacky) and it was still dog piled on. I've seen this awesome cosplay of this black dude who did Wolverine and he fucking nailed it without any kind of race paint, but if he had tried it, with the intent of just being the character I don't think many would have minded. I think overall, if you can't display who the character is without drastically changing your skin tone, it's probably best to choose a different character.

I will say that I think the line is way to thin to tightrope and it's best to wear the clothes of whomever you'd like to portray without trying to change your skin tone because if you don't you'll get ass clowns who abuse the spirit of the idea. Trudeau and that Virginia governor are prime examples of blatantly racist shit(not even including the many examples of college kids doing evil shit) that it really just isn't worth it.

But when we talk about children? Nah, kids not corrupted by the perspective of their parents/family/friends just want to BE their favorite characters. I remember being a kid in the 90's and wanting to go as Beast from the X-Men Cartoon and my grandmother spending hours making me a costume with her sewing machine, I can't imagine that if at that time people were telling me that I couldn't be that because I don't fit in the mold of whatever the accepted social perspective was at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeafTourette

royox

Nov 3, 2013
I literally don't get why is it considered "racist" to paint your body with the color of the character you are trying to dress as. It's literally the biggest representation of love to that character one can show.

• Praise the Sun

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
I literally don't get why is it considered "racist" to paint your body with the color of the character you are trying to dress as. It's literally the biggest representation of love to that character one can show.
It's a US/UK thing.

Nobody else cares in the world.

• Love

nemiroff

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, me too. When this surfaced I thought "blackface" was about painting your face to caricaturize / deride black people. I didn't think it was about "colorize" yourself to positively resemble a person / character that you like, which by my logic would be utterly absurd to think of as a negative.

• Praise the Sun

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
I really don’t get the dress up outrage crowd. Like especially with little kids. I understand how like actually painting the kids face black is bad and rightfully parents should be called out. And harmful / really lazy stereotypes like say, just wearing a grill and a chain and a gun and going “I’m black homie bang bang!” Is just kinda shitty.

but like hair-clothes-accessories-what can you even do!? What if a kid just loves the dude from Moana with the tats? All that guy wears is a tribal skirt and... well tattoos! What else can you do?

I think as long as you’re not purposefully colouring their skin or aiming low- go for it :)

I know it may not be popular on this board but more representation in kids films will do everyone wonders in not caring about this stuff. My daughter is just turning one so she hasn’t watched any movies yet but I’m pasty white and my wife is Malaysian so while I already know the vast majority of Disney and other film girls will be white - and her being mixed she can associate a little- obviously it’s nice to say have Milan, or some of the characters in like big hero 6 have hair or eyes that look a bit closer to her.

but then gate keeping it behind appropriation? Where do you draw the line? My daughter for example could only dress up as a half Asian (specifically Malaysian born of Chinese back ground Asian) half Australian (specifically Australian born but Irish (northern) and Scottish background white) female (cis hetero) (sorry I just assumed my daughters gender) princess? Come on!

Stiflers Mom

Apr 27, 2012
I remember when two friends of mine and me dressed up as saudi arabs in german carneval in the late eighties (it's a bit like halloween), and in the streets we met some real saudis who were on vacation in my city.

And they were super happy about it and took photos with us.

I swear, people were less stupid back then..

• Love
Reactions: haxan7 and lock2k

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
Yeah, me too. When this surfaced I thought "blackface" was about painting your face to caricaturize / deride black people. I didn't think it was about "colorize" yourself to positively resemble a person / character that you like, which by my logic would be utterly absurd to think of as a negative.
It is not negative. Only stupid people think so.

if anything, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.