• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are PlayStation Exclusives the Best Games in the Industry?

Are PlayStation Exclusives the best games on the market?

• Easily

Votes: 91 29.4%
  • They are just a bit better than the others

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • They are joint with Nintendo

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • They are joint with Rockstar

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Nintendo are slightly better

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • They are not the best

Votes: 130 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackjon24

No those are not my examples, those are the games mentioned in the first post, and I really think TLoU and GOW are not as good. But if we talk about gameplay, DMC5 will never have as many awards as GOW because it doesn't have an emotional story and incredible graphics even though it has way better and deeper gameplay.

You really think it deserves as many awards with its level design, micro transaction and the forced v gameplay? and lol at dmc5 not having incredible graphics

Vawn

Banned
I'd say yes, but either way, their total library - exclusives plus games on other consoles (often only on Xbox or Switch, but not both) - is easily the best.

Bryank75

Banned
The continued hostility towards RDR2 from some Sony fans is psychotic.

The game won north of 100 GOTY awards and sold over 20mil copies in like the first week and they act as if it flopped because Geoff Keighley picked GOW as GOTY for his show.

This constant attempt to rewrite history only exposes their internal doubts on the matter. You can taste the venom and hatred in the tweet.

I think GOW had the best combat but it’s world is empty. RDR2’s world on the other hand is unrivaled. Either one could be GOTY and that is why they both won so many GOTY awards.

But nothing short of of RDR2 being pronounced a failure and Rockstar’s devs being put before a firing squad will satisfy this crew. I’m thinking it’s time for an intervention or a hug maybe.
Well, I loved RDR2... Arthur is one of my favorite characters ever. It’s definitely a great game and last year was an incredible year for games. I just had a better time with GOW...

Calibos

Depends on what you like.

The Last of Us was an amazing experience and GoW’s production values as far as graphics and story were excellent. If all you love is 3rd person, narrative driven dramas then I can see it..

..but there are some amazing 3rd party games out there with crazy good stories, production values and gameplay too so as a whole, I am gonna say no.

The biggest problem for me is the “exclusive” part of it. So selfish!

Bryank75

Banned
I thought it would be a good question to ask based on the diverse crowd we have here. I apologize that I put little thought into the options available in the poll!

The game won north of 100 GOTY awards and sold over 20mil copies in like the first week and they act as if it flopped because Geoff Keighley picked GOW as GOTY for his show.

This constant attempt to rewrite history only exposes their internal doubts on the matter. You can taste the venom and hatred in the tweet.

I think GOW had the best combat but it’s world is empty. RDR2’s world on the other hand is unrivaled. Either one could be GOTY and that is why they both won so many GOTY awards.

But nothing short of of RDR2 being pronounced a failure and Rockstar’s devs being put before a firing squad will satisfy this crew. I’m thinking it’s time for an intervention or a hug maybe.

RDR world problem is lore and there is no unique ideas on it's just plain wild west for cowboys...even there is lacking on myths/legends or Indian concept to make a real wild west experience..Mostly unique NPC or things mostly a hit on the game even you are asking where is damn lone ranger meme on this game.. or Indian arrows + your character you control has lack of good impression or talking to himself for the world he views

While GOW it's all about Norse mythology downfall that make exploration make it's to feel it's an adventure of lifetime....even you 2npc + kratos you controls(that always on screen) but their talks and rambling makes your interest on the world itself

Last edited:
I couldn't stomach some of ps4 exclusives for more than an hour and had way more fun with a few xbox games, so no not even close.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Far from it for me, I like the Nintendo exclusives in general a lot more

xviper

in terms of exclusives, yes, Playstation has the best

in terms of PS exclusives being the best games in the industry then fuck no, the last exclusive i would call a masterpiece is Bloodborne

God of war, Horizon, and Yakuza games are great but aren't the best

Excluding Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild shits all over the other PS exclusives combined

FatboyTim

"In 2018 GOW beat Rdr 2 so bad, nobody is talking about rdr2."
Does anyone even talk about that God of War? Even the Spider-Man PS4 game doesn't get much talk anymore. What a stupid way to judge games.
Well, it just won the BAFTA for best game of the year, as well as best audio achievement, best music and best narrative, so I'd say BAFTA are talking about it...

FranXico

Their exclusives usually are very good games, yes. But the very best games there are?

Nah, I don't think so.

Gediminas

Banned
easily they are best games if you take into account gaming as a whole thing. but there is some diamonds too apart from sony games, like Yakuza series, Nier, Witcher, Borderlands or Souls games,

RedVIper

Banned

I think they're both mediocre games

NahaNago

Like others have said this is subjective. Sony does best at making medium size game with tons of polish. From the few that I have played, Sony's video game studios kind of feel like an indie studio trying to make a big budget third party game but with a lot of love and attention to detail.

If you think that Playstation, or Nintendo or any other specific platform brand holds the best exclusives in all of gaming history, fair enough, more power to you, because obviously it's subjective.

But if your going to ask that question to other individuals, while forwarding that particular opinion to them, then you better make sure you're prepared for wildly inconsistent points of view that are likely going to be different from yours. And if you're not prepared with a good argument to detail why you believe that, which that tweet is anything but, well.. ok. Then why ask? You're not going to be sufficiently pleased with the answers you're going to get, unless that question is aimed at a specific subset of people, like say, a sub reddit. And even at that, any sensible person would realize that it's a short sighted question, that i believe is implying a dismissive stance of the entire history of video games.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You seem like someone with great opinions and this looks like it will be a very productive discussion.

1.You seem to conflate good games with high production values.

2.Apparently you only care about very recent games since you want stuff that "pushes the hardware" (And PC has a lot of old, great games, it has the biggest library, bigger than any console)

3.Most indies will never be on consoles, regardless of your opinion of them, a game like Rimworld isn't shovelware

4.Where are these console games that "push the medium" in your opinion, most of the unique gaming experiences I have are on PC not consoles.

5.Why do you consider games that release on pc, ps4 and xbox, "consoles ports", if the game was always intended to on be all the platforms.

6.It's fine if you only like triplle AAA games, I personally find most of those to be extremely boring games.

You just said nothing. So Rimworld I guess? I just did a quick google search and I wouldn't even download that in a free bundle. I just bought a gaming laptop that destroys my PS4 so of course I want to play those great PC exlusives I always hear about from PC gamers not old games, Myst clones and point and clicks I already played.

Console Exclusives like GOW, Days Gone, RDR2, Horizon, Bloodborne and TLOU pushes the hardware to it's limits so that's why I'm expecting the same from PC. It's the first thing people mention when they talk about PC. How "powerful" and so much better they are. In the end if you are just playing 2D and pixel arts games you can play on mobile it doesn't matter.

We're on page 2 and I have yet to see a PC exclusive that rivals with the subject of this thread but we have plenty of posts saying "maybe if you only play on those consoles lol lol lol". So which one is better? *dead silence*

Disappointed.

Last edited:
Depends on where they come from. The Japanese ones can be okay to outstanding but I couldn't give a single shit about what their Western studios make. Overall though that's why I'd rate Nintendo's output higher, just because in general they're more interesting to me even though I think Bloodborne is the best game of the generation.

Nope, although I voted "Nintendo is slightly better" I'd actually say that Nintendo is significantly better. What Sony does well since 1995 is providing a streamlined place to play all current games, like it's easier than setting up a PC, what they offer is far better than what Microsoft can provide and their consoles have been way more powerful than Nintendo's.

Ar¢tos

One thing I give them, atm Sony games have the best localisations in the industry. Now if they are the best games, that's subjective. They have high quality production values and you can say they are clearly made with love, but the gameplay does not please everyone, as with any other game.

RedVIper

Banned
You just said nothing. So Rimworld I guess? I just did a quick google search and I wouldn't even download that in a free bundle. I just bought a gaming laptop that destroys my PS4 so of course I want to play those great PC exlusives I always hear about from PC gamers not old games, Myst clones and point and clicks I already played.

Console Exclusives like GOW, Days Gone, RDR2, Horizon, Bloodborne and TLOU pushes the hardware to it's limits so that's why I'm expecting the same from PC. It's the first thing people mention when they talk about PC. How "powerful" and so much better they are. In the end if you are just playing 2D and pixel arts games you can play on mobile it doesn't matter.

We're on page 2 and I have yet to see a PC exclusive that rivals with the subject of this thread but we have plenty of posts saying "maybe if you only play on those consoles lol lol lol". So which one is better? *dead silence*

Disappointed.

You bought a gaming laptop because you wanted to see how much better pc gaming is compared to consoles, sounds about right, we all know laptops are pinnacle of performance.

So you're just setting aside that consoles have terrible framerates and variable resolutions, aka, a decent pc has much better performance than consoles can dream off, I think that's what people mean when they say pcs are much more powerful.

Half the games you listed don't "push the hardware to its limits". maybe console hardware, but assassins creed on pc has better graphics than those.

Oh and btw, none of the consoles could ever dream of running rimworld properly, the game is super cpu intensive, so yeah good luck playing it on mobile.

You only enjoy 1 type of game, have fun dude, like I said in my post, you're arguing for which platform has higher production values, I'm arguing for better games.

Last edited:
It's uncanny how they have never made a single game that resonated with me outside of the earliest days, if we say Philosoma and Jumping Flash count. Nintendo isn't much better. I'm in the extreme minority where I actually prefer what Microsoft generally funded.

To call out something in particular, Gran Turismo was overrated from day 1. There are so many interesting reviews lost to time, but I remember there was this awesome one on 2002's Sega GT from a site I no longer remember, where he was saying Gran Turismo was basically a game for people who like tinkering with stats, and Sega GT is for people who like driving. Also, I know the artists working on are very keen, with a specific vision, but I'm sorry, blue skies is where it's at, and it must always crush a drab palette.

Banned
they are certainly the most overrated.

most Sony games of the last 2 gens are games that look amazing but are extremely generic or downright bad in terms of gameplay.

Killzone 2 for example, looks great but the price of that look was a very aggressive framerate smoothing feature that always renders multiple frames in advance in order to smooth out drops.. that resulted in input lag numbers that are higher than the worst streaming services to date.

or Uncharted 4 for a newer example. a cover shooter with dodgy cover mechanics, it has semi scripted platforming, really easy puzzles, the answer to which is often literally spelled out to you by overly obvious UI elements or dialog of your AI partners... and then theres the climbing sections that are literally just filler... you can't even fail at them 99% of the time for gods sake.
if you want to test that for yourself the best scene to demonstrate what I mean is while climbing the insides of the clocktower.

at one point you come across a swinging part you have to jump on to in the right time. there's also a spinning gear with holes in it through which you have to jump through at the right time...
so in any game, where the developers actually respected the intelligence of their customers, you would be able to fail at this jump, you would smash against the gear or miss that swinging thing if you fuck up.
not in Uncharted tho, nah nah... in Uncharted you literally can not jump, I REPEAT, you CAN NOT JUMP until both things, the gear wheel and the swinging thing are lined up perfectly for you to make a jump.

the shooting mechanics are also below average but that's the least of its problems.

then theres the games even journos agree are dogshit like The Order 1886, never have I played a more blatant case of "GRAPHICS! WE NEED MORE GRAPHICS!!! huh? gameplay? what's that?"

or GranTurismo, a series that can't keep up with the competition...

there are game I love tho... like the first Gravity Rush, loved that game on the Vita. played the second one's demo and it felt kinda meh... but I have to give it a chance one day.
or Bloodborne, but that, just like SpiderMan, are outsourced anyways... so are they sony games?

The Last Guardian was amazing in many ways..? the controls wer wonky but the leveldesign, puzzle design and general game design were genius to say the least.
I feel like Sony's influence hurt it a bit tho, because I have the suspicion that the extremely annoying button promts that still tell you "hey you have to press X now to crouch btw!!!" 2/3 into the freaking game, are something Sony pushed the devs to put in in order to make it idiot proof.

and that's the biggest thing I don't like about their games. they seem to try to make their games idiot proof to the point where even the dumbest person on earth would feel like their constant handholding gets tedious and feels condescending

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Imo yes they are. Most of my best gaming moments have come from ps exclusives, other games usually don't resonate with me like that.

Last edited:

Roberts

I can only be subjective about this and my answer is no. My main console is XOX and I bought PS4 Pro purely for exclusives. While some of them are really good (GoW was definitely a top5 game last year) and some I haven't had the pleasure to try out yet (Spiderman), it's not like I ever went:"omg, this is the best stuff ever". But what do I know, my experience playing Divinity OS2 was way more memorable than any of the games discussed in this topic.

makaveli60

This a highly subjective thing. But let's say you want to impress someone with how far videogames have come. I think it's obvious that you will show them an AAA Sony exclusive. Although in my opinion nothing touches Red Dead Redemption 2 currently.

Elcid

Banned
As a PC/Switch/PS4 player, I can safely say easily. Nothing on PC/Switch is as good as what Sony has been putting out. And Xbox exclusives are laughable.

Of the three console manufacturers, Sony really easily have the best exclusives. Nintendo continue to flog their horses and Microsoft aren't even comparable at this moment in time.

PSYGN

I keep thinking Gears of War when I see GoW since I haven’t played God of War since the PS2. I accidentally voted yes since I was thinking PS exclusives vs other console exclusives instead of PS exclusive vs all games.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
This a highly subjective thing. But let's say you want to impress someone with how far videogames have come. I think it's obvious that you will show them an AAA Sony exclusive. Although in my opinion nothing touches Red Dead Redemption 2 currently.

I agree on RDR2. Also think AC Origins or Odyssey on PC crushes Uncharted or Horizon Zero Dawn in fidelity. Sony is very good at building small to medium size worlds and then giving you a camera angle that only requires rendering a small slice. It’s pretty but it’s creatively limiting. If all you want are empty hub worlds with color painted walls that show you where to climb Sony has that. But it’s not really pushing the medium forward like RDR2.

Darius87

This gen, yes by far, actually there no > to little competition apart nintendo, ms has forza's (which not even exclussives) and some failed projects which most of them again (not even exclussives), then pc... couldn't even think of one.... crytek shooter maybe?, i don't know it's hard to find better then sony's they have best talent.

High production value for sure. But they have become way too reliant on the 3rd person cinematic game. Behind the fluff and spectacle there is often average at best gameplay mechanics.

Nintendo are still king. But even they I feel dumb their games down too much these days for dumbos and kids.

ph33rknot

Banned
Sony has been overrated for some time now uncharted was always so average in the gameplay department they trive on story not gameplay

Codes 208

That’s kind of cherry picking. It’s convenient how he forgot that BotW beat HZD in 2017.

I really liked GoW and bloodborne but the rest felt hit and miss. Without inciting a list war I would say I’d much rather play third party games like doom, Witcher 3, dark souls (and Sekiro), assassins creed, rdr2 and gta5 over sony’s bulk of exclusives like spiderman, too human, uc4, TLoU:R.

As for exclusives I would gladly take halo MCC in its current state over the UnCharted collection. I would take BotW over HZD. I would hands down take forza over GTS. Gears 4 over 1887. Halo 5 over killzone shadowfall.

To be fair though, if it weren’t for friends (or that GameStop sale last year so I could afford an X) I would likely prefer ps4 overall over Xbox this gen but I would not quite put it with PC or Nintendo this gen. It’s still a great system and has many good games but to say its exclusives are the best over even the best third party titles seems like an exaggeration.

Hinedorf

Banned
I live with constant video game FOMO, I got a Switch, PC, and PS4 and don't feel I miss a single game without an Xbox in my life. Not trying to rail on Microsoft they just don't cater to my gaming interests anymore.

I'm not sure I would say that they're the best as a rule, but they certainly have a tendency to be among the best. For me they're a big enough factor to keep me with Sony consoles even though Sony has a lot of practices which really anger me as a customer.

Romulus

I think when you included games like Astrobot and some of the other games you can only play on psvr, absolutely. No contest.

Top Bottom