• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are PlayStation Exclusives the Best Games in the Industry?

Are PlayStation Exclusives the best games on the market?

• Easily

Votes: 91 29.4%
  • They are just a bit better than the others

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • They are joint with Nintendo

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • They are joint with Rockstar

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Nintendo are slightly better

Votes: 33 10.6%
  • They are not the best

Votes: 130 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
"In 2018 GOW beat Rdr 2 so bad, nobody is talking about rdr2."
Does anyone even talk about that God of War? Even the Spider-Man PS4 game doesn't get much talk anymore. What a stupid way to judge games.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Such a subjective question. To me, they are certainly of a very high production value, but nowhere near the best. Not because I think they aren't good, but because they are not the types of games I enjoy.

Last edited:

Petrae

Given the OP’s criteria, that’s an emphatic “Hell no” from me. I never bothered with The Last of Us because stealth, and I couldn’t play Dad of War for even an hour without being turned off by how boring and not a God of War game it was.

If anything, it’s Nintendo that has the best exclusives in my view, because those exclusives are what convinced me to buy a Switch in the first place and they’re why I haven’t yet sold it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For me the best saga and games of the Industry of Gaming modern are Gravity rush saga.

For me God of War, the last of us and Horizon Zero dawn go to the second term

Gravity-Daze-Value-Selection-Featured-1024x642.jpg

In consoles I can say that in first place in exclusives is Nintendo and then Sony more than anything thanks to Japan Studio.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Wasn't into them much before this generation, but games like the Last of Us and God of War are some of my favorite games ever.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nintendo >> Sony >> Rockstar (which are terrible). I do not understand the argument of OP anyway.

Stuart360

In console terms i'd say yes. They have more than Xbox, and exclusives that are more my thing compared to Nintendo.
PC has the best exclusives though as there are just so many of them, and so many released weekly. Maybe not as many AAA exclusives on PC but AA PC is king.

Bryank75

Banned
Given the OP’s criteria, that’s an emphatic “Hell no” from me. I never bothered with The Last of Us because stealth, and I couldn’t play Dad of War for even an hour without being turned off by how boring and not a God of War game it was.

If anything, it’s Nintendo that has the best exclusives in my view, because those exclusives are what convinced me to buy a Switch in the first place and they’re why I haven’t yet sold it.

Yeah Nintendo exclusives are good, I have a switch but you also have to consider that they put out the same games every generation with just a new lick of paint on them... Smash, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda....
Half the games already made.

Depends on your tastes, obviously, and my tastes skew towards loot based games such as the division, diablo 3 and so on. AFAIK none of the big 3 make any. So nobody has exclusives that are the best games, on console at least.

Hissing Sid

Edit : User redacted due to undue, backhanded snarkiness and it also being sunny outside today.

Plus I totally forgot about Bloodborne. Not first party I know but still a PlayStation exclusive so it counts.

Bloodborne above all else this gen.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Yeah Nintendo exclusives are good, I have a switch but you also have to consider that they put out the same games every generation with just a new lick of paint on them... Smash, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda....
Half the games already made.

Yeah, Nintendo spams mario on every gen. I got bored into their exclusives in the 90's.

If you dont like mario = 80% of their exclusives are gone

If you dont like god of war, still most exclusives left on PlayStation

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Maybe on consoles sure.

What are the PC exclusives that really push the hardware or the medium? Indies shovelware? Any indie that matters will get ported to consoles.

I bought a gaming laptop and the only games I buy are AAA console ports and yet you always read online that PC has tons of exclusives. Where are they (I mean GOTY material not indie trash)?

Shin

Banned
Nintendo >> Sony >> Rockstar (which are terrible). I do not understand the argument of OP anyway.
It's subjective as what's best for one person isn't necessarily good/great/best for another (one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that).
But if you look at the whole picture you can see where the majority of users game on and that's a PlayStation and directly reflective of the games they offer.
We could toss in DreamCast, MegaDrive's, NeoGeo and all others that have died or come and go in the past but the question is between the 2 so PC falls off as well.

Aranea

They are good but for some reason i haven't purchase any PlayStation exclusive lately. Last one i bought was Detroit: Become Human and that game is no longer a Sony exclusive.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's subjective as what's best for one person isn't necessarily good/great/best for another (one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that).
But if you look at the whole picture you can see where the majority of users game on and that's a PlayStation and directly reflective of the games they offer.
We could toss in DreamCast, MegaDrive's, NeoGeo and all others that have died or come and go in the past but the question is between the 2 so PC falls off as well.
Of course it is subjective. What I have written has no claim of objectivity to it. But since people do not (only) buy consoles for exclusives, sales of systems is not a perfect indicator of (even majority opinion of) quality.

RedVIper

Banned
What are the PC exclusives that really push the hardware or the medium? Indies shovelware? Any indie that matters will get ported to consoles.

I bought a gaming laptop and the only games I buy are AAA console ports and yet you always read online that PC has tons of exclusives. Where are they (I mean GOTY material not indie trash)?

You seem like someone with great opinions and this looks like it will be a very productive discussion.

1.You seem to conflate good games with high production values.

2.Apparently you only care about very recent games since you want stuff that "pushes the hardware" (And PC has a lot of old, great games, it has the biggest library, bigger than any console)

3.Most indies will never be on consoles, regardless of your opinion of them, a game like Rimworld isn't shovelware

4.Where are these console games that "push the medium" in your opinion, most of the unique gaming experiences I have are on PC not consoles.

5.Why do you consider games that release on pc, ps4 and xbox, "consoles ports", if the game was always intended to on be all the platforms.

6.It's fine if you only like triplle AAA games, I personally find most of those to be extremely boring games.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nah, but they are really good though, definitely some of the best in the "AAA" spectrum IMO. I commend Sony for still investing in big single player games with high production values and will probably continue supporting them as long as they continue investing in them

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
EASILY. I'm a Ubisoft fanboy but Sony has given me two game of the years with Horizon and God of War. Their quality level is simply unmatched in this industry plus they simply cater to what I prefer. Third person story driven narrative action adventure games.

Xenon

No simply because I rarely feel the need to replay them or even finish them at times. But there is no doubt they show the best

stranno

The incredible quality of Naughty Dog games, the amazing creativity of Japan Studio games, the outstading work of small studios like Bend, the crazy amount of work of Polyphony games, Guerrilla pushing the hardware to the limits, London Studio nailing revolutionary technologies like Eyetoy, the modernized mythology of Santa Monica, the atractive style of Sucker Punch games..

They are DEFINITELY among the best games ever.

Only problems on this games like GTAV or RDR2 their world has lacking to lore on it to explore + adding it's just another GTA mostly NPC same generic movements even they have unique events on it mostly it's just cli·ché from movies or series on TV even there is no lively occurrence mostly the player...must create their own fun to extend exploration it's pretty same as RDR2 it's problematic its first 2hrs then it's exploration mostly hits it down due boring wilderness + same issues on GTA v (those lores and stories of wild west has no impact on its gameplay)even now there is no legends of wild west or even Indians magic shit

Even now mostly a good GTA mostly it's San Andreas due it's connected to it's 2d world verse(while GTAV no gtaiv connection or even it's story or just simple reference only)

While exclusives they have their own past to get a lore + some mythology significant(like GOW) that's make fun to explore...even they same protagonist but their own stories of their sequel has different motives to do ...even new game like HZD has better exploration idea....

Mista

Banned
Best quality? Yes. Most fun? Not always. I still buy PS for exclusives. I don’t need to state which Sony exclusives are very overrated so I’ll stop right here.

Last edited:
I don't think TLoU and GoW are better than GTA V and RDR2, like, at all. Sony games are usually just story and graphics, which couldn't be farther from what I look for in a video game. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have those things, but for me it's all about the gameplay. Now, I guess they're the best at what they're trying to do, it's just not my cup of tea.

nowhat

I don't think TLoU and GoW are better than GTA V and RDR2, like, at all. Sony games are usually just story and graphics, which couldn't be farther from what I look for in a video game. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have those things, but for me it's all about the gameplay.
I mean, I agree with the sentiment, gameplay is king (FWIW I did really like the latest GoW WRT gameplay though).

But GTA V and RDR2 - those are the examples you can come up with, when it comes to gameplay? Especially in RDR2 the gameplay absolutely sucks ass - I think quite objectively even.

Last edited:
For me, both Nintendo and Sony deserve that crown.

Any indie that matters will get ported to consoles.

I would definitely disagree with this. There's a sea of great PC games that never make it to console. If by "matters" you mean garner mainstream attention, then that's not a big stretch. But for me, good games "matter", and consoles miss out on tons of games that "matter" according to my definition.

Last edited:
Mostly problem of these game like GTAV or RDR2 has entered Ubification like Jim sterling said it's just their games are all the same there is 35% new ideas that doesn't hit a new impact to it's game and 65% mostly same gameplay idea.....even though they gave us new trailer for next sequel...it's just same game but new face on it with so called it's new game....this is huge problem on these game

I mean, I agree with the sentiment, gameplay is king (FWIW I did really like the latest GoW WRT gameplay though).

But GTA V and RDR2 - those are the examples you can come up with, when it comes to gameplay? Especially in RDR2 the gameplay absolutely sucks ass - I think quite objectively even.
No those are not my examples, those are the games mentioned in the first post, and I really think TLoU and GOW are not as good. But if we talk about gameplay, DMC5 will never have as many awards as GOW because it doesn't have an emotional story and incredible graphics even though it has way better and deeper gameplay.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
joint with rockstar? wtf does that even mean?

rockstar don't make platform exclusive games. GTA V released on xbox, playstation, and PC.

playstation exclusives are good but not the best. about same as nintendo for me.

Mostly problem of these game like GTAV or RDR2 has entered Ubification like Jim sterling said it's just their games are all the same there is 35% new ideas that doesn't hit a new impact to it's game and 65% mostly same gameplay idea.....even though they gave us new trailer for next sequel...it's just same game but new face on it with so called it's new game....this is huge problem on these game
nobody cares what jim sterling says. and if you do then you need to sort your life out.

Last edited:
joint with rockstar? wtf does that even mean?

rockstar don't make platform exclusive games. GTA V released on xbox, playstation, and PC.

playstation exclusives are good but not the best. about same as nintendo for me.

nobody cares what jim sterling says. and if you do then you need to sort your life out.
But in reality these are problems of current game publishers.... They are stuck on no new ideas for their games mostly it's just revamped or just simple fix or new glue to make it new even I lost interest on this game like GTA or RDR they have different settings but their gameplay has same aspect + exploration makes its worse that there is no uniques on it.....
Mostly I prefer CDprojekt Red ideas on their Witcher series they have unique gameplay per sequel unlike this one......a facepalming repeating hell of gameplay

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Their third-person action adventure games are certainly up there, but I wouldn't call them the very very best. Sometimes they're GOTY material though, I mean, it's really up there. But besides a few examples, I don't think their non-action adventure titles tend to be all that exceptional.

Elenchus

Banned
The continued hostility towards RDR2 from some Sony fans is psychotic.

The game won north of 100 GOTY awards and sold over 20mil copies in like the first week and they act as if it flopped because Geoff Keighley picked GOW as GOTY for his show.

This constant attempt to rewrite history only exposes their internal doubts on the matter. You can taste the venom and hatred in the tweet.

I think GOW had the best combat but it’s world is empty. RDR2’s world on the other hand is unrivaled. Either one could be GOTY and that is why they both won so many GOTY awards.

But nothing short of of RDR2 being pronounced a failure and Rockstar’s devs being put before a firing squad will satisfy this crew. I’m thinking it’s time for an intervention or a hug maybe.

Top Bottom