• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Pokemon X and Y worth playing?

Dabaus

Banned
Im a huge pokemon fan and have played all mainline games except X and Y. I have heard mixed things about them and the Kalos region never interested me. However after playing Alpha Sapphire im kind of curios to explore more generation 6. I find Sword and Shields to be massive letdowns so im willing to give previous games a second look that may not have before.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's super rough and I think the story is probably the worst in the series (which is saying something), but the core catching/breeding/battling experience is still a lot of fun.

It's not a very pretty or performant game, so keep that in mind.

I'm mean, I think so.

I never play a Pokémon game because of the single player, but I think that XY were very fun. I still like to play in my Friends Safaris from time to time (too bad that they abandoned that).

Last edited:

Fake

Its OK. Not the best, but not horrible either.

Besides, when launch the online system was fine and post game battle mansion are pretty good.

Dabaus

Banned
It's super rough and I think the story is probably the worst in the series (which is saying something), but the core catching/breeding/battling experience is still a lot of fun.

Ive seen reviews and the story seems insane even for pokemon standards.

What's the best 3D pokemon so far? Sun and Moon?
In my opinion Ultra sun/moon are the best of the 3ds generation.

Last edited:

Fake

In my opinion Ultra sun/moon are the best of the 3ds generation.

Yeah, I would say Ultra S/M because they fix some problems with the base S/M, add move tutors, etc...

For a non 3D pokemon I stick with Gold/Silver and Platinum.

Roufianos

Well, I loved them and it and played through them around 5 or 6 times.

Compare that to Sword and Shield which I never even finished.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Yeah, I would say Ultra S/M because they fix some problems with the base S/M, add move tutors, etc...

For a non 3D pokemon I stick with Gold/Silver and Platinum.
US/UM have a really good Post game where you can catch a ridiculous amount of Legendries and with the QR Scanner catch alot of Starter pokemon across gens. You can have an entire viable team before you even leave the first Island and then have the EV training APP shortly after you arrive to second. I feel like Ultra Sun and Moon dont get alot of love like they should to be honest.

Last edited:

Paltheos

They're fun games and I never quite got the ire toward them at the time or now.
I agree the story's a weak link and the game draws heavily from gen 1 but a) It's a Pokemon game; I don't give a shit about the story and b) Yeah it draws a bit much from gen 1 but this wasn't something I minded much at the time (Sun and Moon are worse games for this and other reasons imo; god those games never shut up and Z-moves are way less cool than mega evolutions).
I like X and Y for looking good and having a baller soundtrack. I like the selection of pokemon available and travelling the world is fun. My personal complaint is that the games are too easy, even for Pokemon games, and that despite individual locations looking and sounding good the world sometimes... didn't feel cohesive.

Trickster

I feel like if you like pokemon games you'll like x and y.

It's not exactly as if the formula get's changed up massively between each version, y'know?

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
They're fun games and I never quite got the ire toward them at the time or now.
I agree the story's a weak link and the game draws heavily from gen 1 but a) It's a Pokemon game; I don't give a shit about the story and b) Yeah it draws a bit much from gen 1 but this wasn't something I minded much at the time (Sun and Moon are worse games for this and other reasons imo; god those games never shut up and Z-moves are way less cool than mega evolutions).
I like X and Y for looking good and having a baller soundtrack. I like the selection of pokemon available and travelling the world is fun. My personal complaint is that the games are too easy, even for Pokemon games, and that despite individual locations looking and sounding good the world sometimes... didn't feel cohesive.
Thats my main complaint about Alpha Sapphire, its mind numbingly easy and it it doesnt help it just gives you a legendary as freebie midway through with no spike whatsover in difficulty.

Royal-Slime

Banned
If you think Sword/Shield are bad, you are not going to enjoy X and Y :D Unless you put on rose-colored glasses, of course.

Pokemon games were always weak in terms of story (anime fixed that) and graphics. Gameplay kept getting better with each title and reached the highest current point with Sword/Shield, same goes for graphics. X and Y are literally SNES games with a slight bit of modern coating: repetitive object placement, bland environments, lack of character model variety, etc. And the pokemon don't even compare to Sword and Shield or even Let's Go.

If you want to actually enjoy a Pokemon game, play Ultra Sun and Sword/Shield. Let's Go is okay but is very dated, X/Y is very dated, Omega Ruby is okayish.

Won't be surprised if the whole hate towards Sword/Shield was orchestrated by Temtem marketing team. Seeing how Twitter is built on the idea of drama and hating something, trying to cancel it, no wonder if companies start to fund the hate hashtags to get attention. Sword/Shield advanced the Pokemon games like no other game in the series did, there's now an actually enjoyable story and characters that are slightly better than "anime cutouts". If you want to go hating Sw/Sh, Temtem with its boring monsters, shameful plagiarism and non-existent fanbase (of Sw/Sh haters) is always there.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
8hNkZdp.png

I love this game, memes and all. Although I wish they expanded on more side quests.

Dabaus

Banned
If you think Sword/Shield are bad, you are not going to enjoy X and Y :D Unless you put on rose-colored glasses, of course.

Pokemon games were always weak in terms of story (anime fixed that) and graphics. Gameplay kept getting better with each title and reached the highest current point with Sword/Shield, same goes for graphics. X and Y are literally SNES games with a slight bit of modern coating: repetitive object placement, bland environments, lack of character model variety, etc. And the pokemon don't even compare to Sword and Shield or even Let's Go.

If you want to actually enjoy a Pokemon game, play Ultra Sun and Sword/Shield. Let's Go is okay but is very dated, X/Y is very dated, Omega Ruby is okayish.

Won't be surprised if the whole hate towards Sword/Shield was orchestrated by Temtem marketing team. Seeing how Twitter is built on the idea of drama and hating something, trying to cancel it, no wonder if companies start to fund the hate hashtags to get attention. Sword/Shield advanced the Pokemon games like no other game in the series did, there's now an actually enjoyable story and characters that are slightly better than "anime cutouts". If you want to go hating Sw/Sh, Temtem with its boring monsters, shameful plagiarism and non-existent fanbase (of Sw/Sh haters) is always there.
This is insane. The national dex or lack thereof, the lack luster graphics especially in the wild area, and the reused models from gen 6/7 for the previous pokemon that were included in sword in shield had nothing to do with Temtem. All of that was organic and legitimate.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
X and Y were the games that threw presentation and adventure under the bus to pander to competitive players. Horrid jaggies. Bad map design, heck Route 1 and Mewtwo's cave are inferior even to gen 1. The bloated roster has little use in SINGLE PLAYER, there's few features on par with the Battle Frontier to make older Pokemon meaningful.

Kikorin

Edit: lol nvm, I thought I were talking of Sword/Shield. X/Y were still pretty enjoyable IMHO.

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
X and Y were the games that threw presentation and adventure under the bus to pander to competitive players. Horrid jaggies. Bad map design, heck Route 1 and Mewtwo's cave are inferior even to gen 1. The bloated roster has little use in SINGLE PLAYER, there's few features on par with the Battle Frontier to make older Pokemon meaningful.
I fully agree. It's like they haven't even tried to up their game with presentation, story and overall adventure. Sun/Moon is a good push forward but even that did not achieve as much as it could. Especially when you look at something like Dragon QUest Monsters Joker... even the first two games are more impressive, good grief... 2SP on 3DS is fantastic (being translated right now) and 3 is even better. Yokai Watch was also very good and even the first game is more impressive than what Pokemon achieved on 3DS. That's what you get when you cater to competitive players and "veterans" - financial issues, hate campaigns on Twitter. Just make a good game and try to get new audience while keeping the spirit of the franchise.

For the record, I never got into Yokai Watch. I think the visuals are very good (especially for 3DS), the yokai are interesting but battles are basically mini-games, story is somewhat juvenile (especially some stuff in the third YW and all the "look at mom/dad fighting").

I've bought Pokémon Y yet I have no memory of me enjoying it... I'm currently playing Fire Red, I'm thinking of trying Soul Silver and Heart Gold... Make my way up the DS releases.

begotten

Moon and Sun are really bad with all those cutscenes, people talking like no end and not to mention the terrible post game content.

Despite a lengthy introduction, USUM are way more bearable to play than SWSH. In SWSH, literally every route and town you go to, there's cutscenes with your rival. SWSH post-game is the worst in the franchise too.

lyan

I don't remember a single bit of the single player, multiplayer-wise was pretty good at its time.

KielCasto

I remember having some fun with Y but not much else. I normally say skip XY, but since you say you are a huge fan, you might appreciate the first 3D Pokemon core game and the features introduced.

I mean, I got totally excited using the rollerskates the first time. Moving is not restricted to a grid? Mind-boggling.

Played X earlier this year and enjoyed it quite a bit. It’s worth playing for big fans of the series. It doesn’t do anything outstanding apart from the graphics which were great by 2013 standards—not so much today. If anything you’ll enjoy the large regional dex and some of the music.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

What? What's rough about it? And it's a great-looking game. And story? In a Pokemon game? Really?

TC, I enjoyed it a lot. It's just another Pokemon game, but if you've played everything else and want more, it's definitely (in my opinion) worth getting and playing.

Fake

Despite a lengthy introduction, USUM are way more bearable to play than SWSH. In SWSH, literally every route and town you go to, there's cutscenes with your rival. SWSH post-game is the worst in the franchise too.

I talking about base Moon and Sun. Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun on the other hand are good. They fix some of the issues base game has.
SH/SW are terrible. Was the first game of the franchise I totally skip.

Spaceman292

Banned
Im a huge pokemon fan and have played all mainline games except X and Y. I have heard mixed things about them and the Kalos region never interested me. However after playing Alpha Sapphire im kind of curios to explore more generation 6. I find Sword and Shields to be massive letdowns so im willing to give previous games a second look that may not have before.
Sword and Shield are much better

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Fwiw I think those were the last entry in mainline Pokemon games that I actually finished and cared for (the gen 3 remakes were really good as well).

I'm pretty sure they must be a little rough by now but I had a lot of fun with them.

I mean it's Pokemon so not really worth it.

But X and Y are like 12 or so hour games so if it's cheap and you want to waste some time you could probably beat the games in a day or a day in a half excluding post-game stuff. It's just that easy and FFXIII hallway like with it's direction.

Top Bottom