• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Series X/S Or PS5 Coming with HDMI 2.1 Cord Included In Box?

ethomaz

Banned
I've been looking at this and it's really tough to get an answer. Here is CNET's take on it

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what-you-need-to-know/

"You should be able to get 4K/60, and a basic 8K/30, with current cables, but the rest will need an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable."
"Game Mode VRR will also work over current cables (between two pieces of 2.1-compatible gear), though if you're trying to push greater-than-4K60 video, you'll need an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable."

I don't think I'm going to need new cables simply because I really doubt we'll be getting anything running beyond 4K and beyond 60fps. Look at previous gens, the target performance doesn't increase, developers just get better at being more performant under those water marks.

Edit: I doubt it will be a 2.1 lead in the box either.
Edit: Techradar are saying it's almost definitely 2.1 though it might be an assumption

As it turns out, the answer is pretty simple: inside the box you get the console, a wireless controller, the base, an HDMI cable that’s almost definitely HDMI 2.1-compliant, plus the power cord, a USB-C-to-USB-A cable to charge the DualSense controller, and the user manual / warranty info.
There is basically four HDMI cable:

4Gbps (Standard) - Not on sale anymore.
9Gbps (High Speed) - Not on sale anymore.
18Gbps (Premium) - Support up to 4k30 (or 4k60 with lower HDR)
48Gbps (Ultra) - Support up to 4k120 or 8k60.

Both 18 and 48 GBPs are cheaper and around the same price... the difference the second support HDMI 2.1 specs and the first not.

Here a table with each bandwidth required for each resolution/refreshrate/HDR settling:

hdmi-2.1-fig-1-resolution-tabe.jpg

PS. The consoles already come with one HDMI 2.1 compatible cable (Ultra) so you don’t need to bother with that.

Edit - I forget the very old standard HDMI cable.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
There is basically four HDMI cable:

4Gbps (Standard) - Not on sale anymore.
9Gbps (High Speed) - Not on sale anymore.
18Gbps (Premium) - Support up to 4k30 (or 4k60 with lower HDR)
48Gbps (Ultra) - Support up to 4k120 or 8k60.

Both 18 and 48 GBPs are cheaper and around the same price... the difference the second support HDMI 2.1 specs and the first not.

Here a table with each bandwidth required for each resolution/refreshrate/HDR settling:

hdmi-2.1-fig-1-resolution-tabe.jpg

PS. The consoles already come with one HDMI 2.1 compatible cable (Ultra) so you don’t need to bother with that.

Edit - I forget the very old standard HDMI cable.

The only thign I want confirmed is whether the 'Premium' cables will support VRR on 4K/60 pretty much. I'm getting some recabling done and it's running through walls etc. What cable would you say I'd need with a PS5 and Sony KD65XH900H with a distance of 6m? I really want 4:4:4 and VRR

90 bucks damn !!!!! Those are some expensive cables.

You know nothing :messenger_beaming:

There are literally cables that cost tens, even hundreds of thousands.

Like speaker cables in range of 1000 - 80 000€/$ and they all promise shit like "space materials used, carbon monoxide titanium diamond filler with mammoth skin guardian protectors and 100000KHz output with vacuum sealed gold stolen from eldorado!!" and most sad thing is, there are plenty of gullible low iq idiots with too much of money so they buy them :messenger_astonished:

And these people then claim they hear how their 40 000€ cable sounds better than what they had..

One "hifi dude" gave interview in my country, he had hifi setup and his speaker cables cost 30 000€.. with 5000€ speakers :messenger_tears_of_joy: and he seriously claimed that those cables are best thing ever. The saddest thing were that his setup were installed in shitty room with zero dampening on walls + speakers were way too close to each other and many errors like that = he would have had much better sound quality with 2€ cables and spending even 1000€ to the noise absorbing materials on the walls.

In reality cheap 1-5€/m copper cable (with sufficent diameter) is almost as good as it gets, there can be tiny differences in measurements with professional equipment, but they are so small that human ear cant detect them.

And then there are also "hi-fi hdmi cables" which claim to have better audio and better bits going trough, which is just plain retarded as hdmi is digital and it sounds the same if cable aint broken, yet people pay hundreds/thousands.

HIFI world is mad place full of people with too much money to spend into lies

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I just ordered the LG cx and its only negative was the hdmi 2.1 is only 40 gbps instead of 48. Is being only 40 gbps really going to impact anything?

I looked into this before I bought one, including talking to people who know more than me. Short answer: nope.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep, I watched DF video. Touryst is exactly the kind of game I would expect to pull off this resolution/framerate.
Yeah, sadly I don't know much else, but yeah I think you want that 4K/Refresh to be supplied to TV, just for VRR, I think.

Ulysses 31

If not who makes the best HDMI cords? Also my sound bar uses 2.0 HDMI , I'm sure running the 2.1 from my new system through my soundbar won't produce the desired effect. Will I have to upgrade my whole sound system for maximum advantage? My soundbar does supports Dolby atmos.
Xbox.com pages say the X comes with an Ultra High speed cable and the S with a High speed one.

What games will run at 4k 120FPS?

Already confirmed to have a 4k120hz mode are Gears 5 (mp), Dirt 5, Falconeer, The Tourist on x1. Others will have a 120hz mode but not 4k, so it will be fine on hdmi 2.0 displays I guess.

I think it will be something related to remasters and indie titles, mostly.

Still, it's a nice feature, and if you put HDR on top of that, yes, hdmi 2.1 is inevitable.

The cable provided with the XSX is confirmed to be a "ultra highspeed" hdmi cable, as seen on recent unboxings.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Depends. Most Sony (as far as i know) Atmos soundbars have a 4k passthrough. So i can connect my Xbox or whatever device straight to the soundbar for full Atmos support and then Hdmi lead from the soundbar to the tv for the signal.

It may pass through but not the 2.1 features. So you’ll get sound, but you won’t be able to use 120fps and usually vrr etc

Already confirmed to have a 4k120hz mode are Gears 5 (mp), Dirt 5, Falconeer, The Tourist on x1. Others will have a 120hz mode but not 4k, so it will be fine on hdmi 2.0 displays I guess.

I think it will be something related to remasters and indie titles, mostly.

Still, it's a nice feature, and if you put HDR on top of that, yes, hdmi 2.1 is inevitable.

The cable provided with the XSX is confirmed to be a "ultra highspeed" hdmi cable, as seen on recent unboxings.
Wow, I'm surprised that Dirt 5 will run at 4k 120FPS. I mean, the game looks like a complete ass but I'm still surprised.

FrankWza

It doesn't take a fortune teller to know that only a very limited number of games will run at 4k 120FPS. Think smaller indie titles, 2D / 2.5D platformers etc. Hell, even 4k 60FPS will not be the standard.

Just because device supports certain resolution, doesn't mean that you will see it being widely supported. Many people are changing their TVs, cables and what not because "next-gen" is coming you have to be HDMI 2.1 ready. Reality is: you don't. Next gen consoles will (maybe) finally take full advantage of last-gen TV technology.

DMCVSE is 120 FPS, launch title. What’s last gen tv technology? WhichTv do you have?

DMCVSE is 120 FPS, launch title. What’s last gen tv technology? WhichTv do you have?
But is it 4k 120FPS launch title? I own 65 inch LG CX.
I consider 4k 60FPS to be last gen TV technology. HDMI 2.1 and 120FPS at4k is next gen to me, in terms of gaming. I'm not interested in 8k just yet.
Already confirmed to have a 4k120hz mode are Gears 5 (mp), Dirt 5, Falconeer, The Tourist on x1.
I checked and it appears that Dirt 5 when in 120FPS mode is maxing out at 1080p resolution with extremely low graphical preset.

FrankWza

The only thign I want confirmed is whether the 'Premium' cables will support VRR on 4K/60 pretty much. I'm getting some recabling done and it's running through walls etc. What cable would you say I'd need with a PS5 and Sony KD65XH900H with a distance of 6m? I really want 4:4:4 and VRR

I think vrr is available on some non 2.1 TVs. Not sure how common, but it was possible. But going forward, with the added features that are currently possible, if you have a 2.1 tv, a PS5 and a 48gbps cable you will have access to those features including vrr. I’m not including your sound solution because that is another variable that changes everything.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
120 FPS alone, without 4K,still Needs 2.1
So 1080 or 1440p @120FPS is next gen

This isn untrue. An HDMI 2.0 cable has enough bandwidth to convey 1440p and below at 120Hz.

I know because my TCL 55R635 can display 1440p and below at 120Hz via HDMI 2.0 cables; its official specifications says that it can do so and I've verified it myself via my PC by running Resident Evil 5 and Mass Effect: Andromeda (though it's not necessary to use games because Windows itself can be set to be displayed at 1440p-120Hz if it detects that a display supports it).

When displaying content at 1440p-120Hz or some lower resolution at 120Hz, the TV will display the parameters of whatever signal it's currently displaying when a certain button on its remote is hit, verifying the signal's resolution and refresh rate.

Last edited:

FrankWza

This isn untrue. An HDMI 2.0 cable has enough bandwidth to convey 1440p and below at 120Hz.

I know because my TCL 55R635 can display 1440p and below at 120Hz via HDMI 2.0 cables; its official specifications says that it can do so and I've verified it myself via my PC by running Resident Evil 5 and Mass Effect: Andromeda (though it's not necessary to use games because Windows itself can be set to be displayed at 1440p-120Hz if it detects that a display supports it).

When displaying content at 1440p-120Hz or some lower resolution at 120Hz, the TV will display the parameters of whatever signal it's currently displaying when a certain button on its remote is hit, verifying the signal's resolution and refresh rate.

I think frame rate is a big bandwidth hog. That’s why it’s strange that when thecx came in at lower bandwidth it’s still able to utilize vrr up to 120 and the c9, with higher bandwidth, is currently rated at vrr up to 60.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think vrr is available on some non 2.1 TVs. Not sure how common, but it was possible. But going forward, with the added features that are currently possible, if you have a 2.1 tv, a PS5 and a 48gbps cable you will have access to those features including vrr. I’m not including your sound solution because that is another variable that changes everything.

Yeah but if I use a PS5, and a TV with VRR and HDMI 2.1 support but use a normal cable will VRR work up to 4k/60?

FrankWza

Yeah but if I use a PS5, and a TV with VRR and HDMI 2.1 support but use a normal cable will VRR work up to 4k/60?

normal cable? The one packed in with PS5? That will work. As far as vrr up to 60, it would be dependent on your tv. I don’t know if there are any vrr 30 sets, I thought the minimum was vrr 60. But check your tvspecs to be sure.

cormack12

Gold Member
normal cable? The one packed in with PS5? That will work. As far as vrr up to 60, it would be dependent on your tv. I don’t know if there are any vrr 30 sets, I thought the minimum was vrr 60. But check your tvspecs to be sure.

Yeah with the pack in cable or my existing premium cable basically. I think vrr is a firmware update to the x900h coming next year

Sony said that VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), which are two optional HDMI 2.1 features, will be enabled on X900H (XH90) with a later update as soon as VRR and ALLM have been formally certified by an HDMI test center.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I was kinda skeptical with this in the PS5, mostly because Xbox is basically screaming 4K 120fps, but both do

Riven326

Banned
Use the cable that comes with the console. If you need a longer cable, you should wait until certified cables are available. Manufacturers can take 18gbps cables and sell them as 48gbps cables.

Ulysses 31

If you drop some settings I'm sure you'll be able to reach that sweet-spot for Gsync to work. 4k Ultra at locked 120FPS probably won't happen with the current day hardware...
Generally, I'm content with 60+ fps with any type of VRR. I'll probably use DLSS 2.X too when games allow, DLSS in Metro ruined the HDR.

CobraXT

Banned
btw hdmi 2.0 is not enough for 4K/60fps/10bit if you want chroma 4:4:4 "better colors and hdr" .. i dont think 120fps will be a thing in the future but hdmi 2.1 is important if you want true next gen experience because it will give you vrr-allm-qft

Last edited:
Generally, I'm content with 60+ fps with any type of VRR. I'll probably use DLSS 2.X too when games allow, DLSS in Metro ruined the HDR.
That was the old DLSS version. I hated it. The new one (I think 2.1) is amazing and worked great in Control and Death Stranding.

Anyway, I will be happy to see first party Sony / MS games to lock at 60FPS. It's still double the framerate (in most cases) compared to last gen.

FrankWza

Correct. I use Audio Quest Ocean eARC HDMI cables. Quality is superb.

I should have fixed my post. I guess technically, the atmos logo may come up, but it’s compressed. For uncompressed formats you’d need earc or a 2.1 receiver. This audio shit gets crazy. I feel like I know a decent amount which means I don’t know shit really. Makes you realize that Sony going with tempest may not all be due to a licensing issue and more a need to simplify things.

edit: also, atmos soundbar and atmos with dedicated heights are 2 very different things. No offense intended to anyone because my setup is probably middle-low on the tech end and definitely low on the $ side considering what you can spend on audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

FrankWza

btw hdmi 2.0 is not enough for 4K/60fps/10bit if you want chroma 4:4:4 "better colors and hdr" .. i dont think 120fps will be a thing in the future but hdmi 2.1 is important if you want true next gen experience because it will give you vrr-allm-qft

2.1 and 48gbps cables give you the opportunity to include ALL available next gen options and the top options from last gen and would be the most “future proof” way to getthrough next gen. That’s as simple as I can write it.

Reactions: MrS

FrankWza

PS3 was sold with composite.
PS3 eventually included one, was that the appropriate HDMI version? C’mon, some consoles back then didn’t even had an HDMI port.
Yeah and they were expensive. A lot of TVs were also DVI back the.m so you would have alienated most of the hdtv projector tv people that made up most of the hdtv market at that time by only including hdmi to hdmi since they would have needed hdmi to dvi.This was before flat panels were even close to being the norm

Last edited:

iHaunter

I should have fixed my post. I guess technically, the atmos logo may come up, but it’s compressed. For uncompressed formats you’d need earc or a 2.1 receiver. This audio shit gets crazy. I feel like I know a decent amount which means I don’t know shit really. Makes you realize that Sony going with tempest may not all be due to a licensing issue and more a need to simplify things.

edit: also, atmos soundbar and atmos with dedicated heights are 2 very different things. No offense intended to anyone because my setup is probably middle-low on the tech end and definitely low on the $ side considering what you can spend on audio.

Tempest is definitely for simplicity. I have a Denon receiver and was ecstatic to hear about the tempest. Makes my whole setup with eARC SO MUCH easier! Just use high-end HDMI cables plug n play.

FrankWza

Tempest is definitely for simplicity. I have a Denon receiver and was ecstatic to hear about the tempest. Makes my whole setup with eARC SO MUCH easier! Just use high-end HDMI cables plug n play.
Yeah. In a way I’m glad I don’t have earc because once the 2.1 receivers get straightened out and come down a bit I’ll just upgrade and I also don’t want to deal with the wires that way. One of the benefits of a receiver is being able to route all your cables to it and then just go one hdmi to tv. At least earc is worth that, Arc isn’t worth that mess. On the other hand, not having to go optical from my tv to my receiver and mixamp would be pretty nice. But it’s cleaner and easier for me to just go straight to my set for 2.1 and then optical out without missing much audio-wise. But everyone’s setup is different. Earc and wall mounting must be a nightmare.

iHaunter

Yeah. In a way I’m glad I don’t have earc because once the 2.1 receivers get straightened out and come down a bit I’ll just upgrade and I also don’t want to deal with the wires that way. One of the benefits of a receiver is being able to route all your cables to it and then just go one hdmi to tv. At least earc is worth that, Arc isn’t worth that mess. On the other hand, not having to go optical from my tv to my receiver and mixamp would be pretty nice. But it’s cleaner and easier for me to just go straight to my set for 2.1 and then optical out without missing much audio-wise. But everyone’s setup is different. Earc and wall mounting must be a nightmare.

Well, that's not always true. Many high to mid-range receivers now have eARC built into the receiver directly. For example, my Samsung Q80T has an eARC special port, my receiver has an eARC special port. So now I just eARC via receiver instead of TV.

At least my Denon has a dedicated eARC port. Makes it so much easier.

6344754_bd.jpg

FrankWza

Well, that's not always true. Many high to mid-range receivers now have eARC built into the receiver directly. For example, my Samsung Q80T has an eARC special port, my receiver has an eARC special port. So now I just eARC via receiver instead of TV.

At least my Denon has a dedicated eARC port. Makes it so much easier.

6344754_bd.jpg

I know. I was saying I have arc. Not earc. Don’t you still have to go into your tv and out to get 2.1 benefits?

Last edited:

nillapuddin

MCC and Gears both will support 4k 120, not sure why yall acting like it will only be Touryst

Also, The Series X comes with 2.1, the Series S does not

its on their website

Top Bottom