• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Series X/S Or PS5 Coming with HDMI 2.1 Cord Included In Box?

ethomaz

Banned
that’s what I said originally though,no?
120 FPS alone, without 4K,still Needs 2.1 regardless. It’s technically possible but you need a 2.1 connection both ways so it requires you to just get a 48gbps cable unless all you’re even going to play is 1080p or 1440p up to 120. You’d lose any other features.
I’m not sure what are you trying to say.

For example Series S is HDMI 2.1 and of your monitor or TV is HDMI 2.1 you just need a Premium cable so you will use the Serie S max resolution and refresh rate just fine (1440p 120Hz).

That is why it ships with a Premium and Series X with a Ultra cables... an Ultra cable should be overkill for Series S.

If that is what you said then yes you are correct... sorry if I made it look it was not.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I’m not sure what are you trying to say.

For example Series S is HDMI 2.1 and of your monitor or TV is HDMI 2.1 you just need a Premium cable so you will use the Serie S max resolution and refresh rate just fine (1440p 120Hz).

That is why it ships with a Premium and Series X with a Ultra cables... an Ultra cable should be overkill for Series S.

120 FPS alone, without 4K,still Needs 2.1
So 1080 or 1440p @120FPS is next gen
That’s the original post. I think you’re saying that bandwidth wise you don’t need a 48gbps cable to get 1080 or 1440 @ 120. But you need to have a 2.1 cable tv and console. So getting a cable less than 48gbps is not worth it because you want to have all the rest of the features that come with 2.1 too.

edit: ah, I see. Series s. Ok, wasn’t even thinking about series s.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That’s the original post. I think you’re saying that bandwidth wise you don’t need a 48gbps cable to get 1080 or 1440 @ 120. But you need to have a 2.1 cable tv and console. So getting a cable less than 48gbps is not worth it because you want to have all the rest of the features that come with 2.1 too.
Sure but your devices only go up to 1440p 120fps... unless you will use the cable in another device or plan to upgrade then the 48Gbps is overkill.

Series S is a HDMI 2.1 device that output at 1440p 120Hz... you are fine with a 18Gbps cable without lose any HDMI 2.1 feature.

It come packed with a Premium cable (18Gbps).

Last edited:

FrankWza

Sure but your devices only go up to 1440p 120fps... unless you will use the cable in another device or plan to upgrade then the 48Gbps is overkill.

Series S is a HDMI 2.1 device that output at 1440p 120Hz... you are fine with a 18Gbps cable without lose any HDMI 2.1 feature.

for now they do. But even still, you can add vrr and that will take up more bandwidth. Also, the other consoles have UHD players that need it. Series s is the lowest spec. I wouldn’t go by that.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

That's processed internally then? And those were touted as HDMI 2.1 features as well back then.
It's the Xbox/gpu sending out the frames, the display matches the hz to it if it's in the VRR range.

I think 2.1 just states it's a standard feature now but it's still possible for 2.1 devices to ignore that standard and not support it.

asustitan

Banned
Any Amazon basic HDMI cable will work up to 3meters I've no doubt.

There is nothing different in the cables only better insulation for bigger lengths, if the picture works, you don't need any other cable.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
for now they do. But even still, you can add vrr and that will take up more bandwidth. Also, the other consoles have UHD players that need it
VRR is already accounted in the bandwidth needed.

1440p 120Hz VRR 4:4:4 10/12bits needs less than 18Gbps.

You are not missing HDMI 2.1 feature except the resolution being lower.

Last edited:

FrankWza

VRR is already accounted in the bandwidth needed.

1440p 120Hz VRR 4:4:4 10/12bits needs less than 18Gbps.

You are not missing HDMI 2.1 feature except the resolution being lower.
So, your recommendations are for nobody buying any next gen console to get a 48gbps cable under any circumstances? Is that right?

ethomaz

Banned
So, your recommendations are for nobody buying any next gen console to get a 48gbps cable under any circumstances? Is that right?
What?

You don’t need to buy cable because the console comes with the right one.

Now if you need a bigger length cable then buys the ones that fits you better... if you will buy a Series S the Premium cable is enough... if you will buy a PS5 or Series X you will need a Ultra cable.

Unless you plan to upgrade from Series S to Series X that will be a waste of money but maybe some do crazy things.

Last edited:

FrankWza

if you will buy a Series S the Premium cable is enough... if you will buy a PS5 or Series X you will need a Ultra cable.
There we go. I don’t remember ever bringing series s into the equation. It’s in the op and title but I did not mention it and you quoted me. That’s why it’s confusing. I wasn’t talking about s

iHaunter

its a lot of wires going into your tv. Unless you only have a game system and use that for all your media. But if you have multiple components they all go into the tv and then one cable goes out to the receiver. Usually it’s the opposite do you can hide and route your cables better. Especially if you wall mount and have a bunch of hdmi cables coming out of your tv
You literally only have ONE wire go from your TV to your receiver. All devices go into your receiver.

ethomaz

Banned
I just realized something weird.

Dev claims Falconner runs at 1800p/60fps on Xbox Series S but the console won’t come with a HDMI cable that supports that resolution.

You will need to buy a new cable...
Or Series S will downsample to 1440p/60fps?

BTW if you plug the Xbox Series S in a 4k TV with the packed HDMI cable then it won’t use the Xbox scaling because the cable can’t pass 4k signal... so it will passa a 1440p signal and TV will upscale the image to 4k.

I believe that is a bit confusing and MS needs to explain that better.

PS. Serie X and PS5 won’t have that issue because both come with a 48Gbps cable.

Last edited:
I just realized something weird.

Dev claims Falconner runs at 1800p/60fps on Xbox Series S but the console won’t come with a HDMI cable that supports that resolution.

You will need to buy a new cable...
Or Series S will downsample to 1440p/60fps?

BTW if you plug the Xbox Series S in a 4k TV with the packed HDMI cable then it won’t use the Xbox scaling because the cable can’t pass 4k signal... so it will passa a 1440p signal and TV will upscale the image to 4k.

I believe that is a bit confusing and MS needs to explain that better.

PS. Serie X and PS5 won’t have that issue because both come with a 48Gbps cable.
Should be fine because MS never claimed the XSS was a 4k console. If it can pass 1440p it's meeting is claimed spec.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I just ordered the LG cx and its only negative was the hdmi 2.1 is only 40 gbps instead of 48. Is being only 40 gbps really going to impact anything?
No impact. Please also remember that the LG oled’s are 10bit displays. So there is probably no benefit to sending a 12bit image.

Furthermore HDMI 2.1 can use the vesa lossless compression. The new Nividia 3000 series cards already use this compression to send full 4k@120hz 4:4:4 with way lower bitrates than 48gbit/s.

It’s likely the Xbox Series & PS5 also use this compression. And if they don’t, you still can get the full potential of the console and the display with 40Gbit/s.

ethomaz

Banned
Should be fine because MS never claimed the XSS was a 4k console. If it can pass 1440p it's meeting is claimed spec.
Yes I know that.

The weird thing is games for it being 1800p... that put is question the two points I posted:

- It downsample before output?
- The Xbox upscale will only be used in X?

These are tricks question due the cable limitation.

To OP for now seems like if you have a 4k TV and brought Series S you will need to buy a new cable if you want to use the Xbox scaling instead of TV scaling plus having a better IQ with games that have bigger than 1440p resolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom