• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Sony exclusives too samey?

EDMIX

Shit! Looks how beautiful those games are! With visuals like these I don't even care how, " Samey" they are. The crazy thing is these games play as good as they look.

Agreed.

What doesn't make sense, is someone saying they are even near the "same" based on something as dumb as a screenshot showing someone's back, might as well say are races are the same, all FP games are the same ie Portal, Half Life, Battlefield etc

All games listed are different genres, play different, created by different teams etc. This topic over all is just dumb. Next thing you know, (uses camera as right stick, thus the same /s) lol

Be like "humans" or "on earth" or "can move and speak" lol

Outside PC, Sony has the most diverse line-up. Unfortunately, they tend to heavily promote 3rd-person dialogue-heavy games with realistic graphics--games that happen to be the least interesting to me as I prefer games with unique art styles , have very little dialogue (but lore is very important) and with more action in every minute I play.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You mean it sold better on the handheld platforms that have triple the install base of the GameCube and WiiU?

Which franchise has Nintendo trusted to launch a console with? Zelda or Animal Crossing?
Launches are aiming at early adopters, which casual players (focus group of Animal Crossing) typically are not. When they put out casual games at launch, they try to hit completely novel ideas, like Wii Sports, Nintendoland, or 1-2-Switch, so Animal Crossing is not a natural choice here. This does not make Animal Crossing smaller than Zelda. And Zelda hs had the advantage of triple the install base handheld platforms as well, did not help in terms of beating Animal Crossing's top sellers.

Arun1910

Outside PC, Sony has the most diverse line-up. Unfortunately, they tend to heavily promote 3rd-person dialogue-heavy games with realistic graphics--games that happen to be the least interesting to me as I prefer games with unique art styles , have very little dialogue (but lore is very important) and with more action in every minute I play.

I agree with this. Sony has something for everyone. Adventure (Uncharted), Racing (DriveClub/GT) , Super-Hero (Infamous, Spider-Man), Casual (LBP), Survival(TLoU, Days Gone) just to name a few. They are all top quality games too in terms of production. Microsoft doesn't have this catalogue, or to the same quality in my opinion.

Hopefully that will change in the future, as I have a gaming PC now and did enjoy my time with Quantum Break and Forza.

Kagero

Agreed.

What doesn't make sense, is someone saying they are even near the "same" based on something as dumb as a screenshot showing someone's back, might as well say are races are the same, all FP games are the same ie Portal, Half Life, Battlefield etc

All games listed are different genres, play different, created by different teams etc. This topic over all is just dumb. Next thing you know, (uses camera as right stick, thus the same /s) lol

Be like "humans" or "on earth" or "can move and speak" lol
I agree, and I believe the only things that these games have in common are the third person view and cinematic representation and story telling. BOTH AWESOME THINGS! Lol!

DonJimbo

Keep telling yourself that. Just remember that that Xbox One is good for you, cus if Sony had no competition they would scree every customer harder than they do now, since there would be no competitor to make them anti consumer.

Sony is a business and not for pleasuring you. Just like Microsoft or any other corporation.
Brand recognition is the reason why MS is losing every generation in europe people have fond memories with nintendo and playstation games So that has nothing to do with what im telling to myself ITS A FACT THAT MS IS LOSING IN EUROPE AND IM NOT WISHFULTHINKING
Oh and youre saying Sony is ANTI CONSUMER WITHOUT ANY REASON AND CREDIBLE SOURCES so the one who is a FANBOY is yourself remove youre pinkcoloured glasses and look at the truth Europe is not you and youre friends xbox fanbase in europe is abysmal there was a peak at the time of the 360 but now the fanbase has shrunken every year

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Brand recognition is the reason why MS is losing every generation in europe people have fond memories with nintendo and playstation games So that has nothing to do with what im telling to myself ITS A FACT THAT MS IS LOSING IN EUROPE AND IM NOT WISHFULTHINKING
Oh and youre saying Sony is ANTI CONSUMER WITHOUT ANY REASON AND CREDIBLE SOURCES so the one who is a FANBOY is yourself remove youre pinkcoloured glasses and look at the truth Europe is not you and youre friends xbox fanbase in europe is abysmal there was a peak at the time of the 360 but now the fanbase has shrunken every year

This is true out of my group of gaming friends last generation they all had 360 and I had a ps3. This time around 15 have a ps4 and one has an xbox.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Launches are aiming at early adopters, which casual players (focus group of Animal Crossing) typically are not. When they put out casual games at launch, they try to hit completely novel ideas, like Wii Sports, Nintendoland, or 1-2-Switch, so Animal Crossing is not a natural choice here. This does not make Animal Crossing smaller than Zelda. And Zelda hs had the advantage of triple the install base handheld platforms as well, did not help in terms of beating Animal Crossing's top sellers.
Yet Mario and Pokemon have launched hardware and they have just as much casual appeal as Animal Crossing. It seems pretty clear to me which franchise Nintendo sees as more important, and which they trust to push hardware.

And none of the main Zelda games have ever been made for the handheld. Animal Crossing outsells Zelda spin-offs. Congrats?

tryDEATH

I said this before but I would say let 3rd party handle MP focus games. They much more popular and more people play those games because the multipaltform games. I personally like Sony focusing on SP games and they also have 3rd party console exclusive Japanese games like Persona, Dragon Quest and Yakuza.

That is a half way step and that could also be applied to Xbox and their lack of SP games, by just dismissing it and saying they will let 3rd party publishers fill in the lack of SP games, which I think is not the answer. For me multi player just plays a much more significant role and playing games for 30-40 hours really isn't the norm anymore and it leaves me wanting more, which is where multiplayer comes in. Again this is also maybe because I am a Xbox gamer and Xbox built itself as a online console and was the multiplayer console so it was a given to enjoy MP with MS exclusive games.

Fnord

The answer is in the image at the top of the OP. Those four games don't come across as similar in much of any substantive way.

Jetboxx

Their first-party games (aside from ones by Media Molecule and Japan Studio) sure look similar to me in being exploitative and insincere. Still the PS4 has many good games, thanks to third-party developers.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yet Mario and Pokemon have launched hardware and they have just as much casual appeal as Animal Crossing. It seems pretty clear to me which franchise Nintendo sees as more important, and which they trust to push hardware.

And none of the main Zelda games have ever been made for the handheld. Animal Crossing outsells Zelda spin-offs. Congrats?
Mario and Pokémon are very much core-gamer oriented series anyway, they just additionally attract a lot of casual players. Pokémon and Mario are also objectively much larger than Animal Crossing, but AC comes right after that and certainly before Zelda.

And of course main Zelda games have been made for handhelds: Link's Awakening, Oracles, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, ALBW are all mainline games. They are not spin offs. The spin-offs in the Zelda series are Four Swords, Four Swords Anniversary, Four Swords Adventure, Tri-Force Heroes, Link's Crossbow Training (ironically, one of the best selling games in the series), Hyrule Warriors, Tingle's Rosy Ruppeeland, Tingle's Ballon Fight and Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.

Last edited:

onlyoneno1

To me they are not samey because of the cinematic but because they focus on the feelings too much. In every showing its like the game has got a heart from Oz. The trailers for GOW had so much of this that I hated the game initially. They need to diversify what they show in their trailers. Not all trailers have to be about evoking the same emotion.

Top Bottom