• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are "Themed Months" more damaging or helpful to their causes?

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
At the time of this thread's creation, it is June 1st - the start of "Pride Month". Within moments of it hitting midnight, I see Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites exploding with people changing their avatars to include opaque pride flags, celebrating how "unique" the LGBT community is, and selling special themed products. I have also seen a number of people give their stories of discrimination and coming out, sharing their experiences to those who may be struggling. This has been something I have been wondering for a while now, and given the freedom of expression we can have on GAF, I thought I would ask all of you what your thoughts are.

Are themed months like this necessary? Do we need a "black history" month? Do we need a "pride" month? Do these cause more damage in the long run than tangible benefits?

Personally, I don't see the need of this - at least in its current form. The vast majority of what I see are empty gestures that do nothing to help those who are struggling, those who experience real discrimination. Just as people would change their social media avatars to stand in "solidarity" of major terrorist attacks - this doesn't *help* anyone. It is posturing to make themselves feel better and not those who are actually struggling, those that are hurting or worse. I do not believe you need a specific month to talk about your experiences of racism, of discrimination - those are things that should be done when possible. However, those were just my thoughts and I was curious as to what those within those communities were thinking so I first went to and asked some of my friends and colleagues about their opinions. I listed a few key ones that I felt were rather eye-opening for me, personally:
  • "It has less to do with us [adults] and more to do with our children... seeing that reality isn't so bleak as social media portrays."
  • "Pointless. I just want to be seen as normal like everyone else. I don't need to be put in the spotlight, and it won't change anyone's opinion. If anything, it will push them further away."
  • "It goes counter to what we have tried to achieve over the past few centuries. Black history is just history, but a very directed and specified look at it. It ignores eras like the Aksum Kingdom or Apartheid as separate and heavily frowns on anyone questioning it."
  • "It isn't about changing people's minds, but giving hope to those that lost it a long time ago. These are people who have struggled and fought to maintain some societal standing while hiding their true selves. They need a time and place where they can be who they are."
The views were mostly split, some finding them more damaging while other seeing benefits. I can see where each of them comes from, however given that this is a heavily science based program in a conservative region - bias very well could be rampant. I would love to get some more differing opinions.

TL;DR - Pride Month, Black History Month, etc - do these provide more tangible benefits or are they ultimately more damaging to their causes? Discuss.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2016
There's so many days and months calling attention to all kinds of subjects and causes that it's totally ineffectual IMO. I only have so much attention to go around and it's certainly not going towards something like gay pride month. It's just getting tiresome, all these people screaming for attention. It's sooner to drive me away from these people than closer.

May 22, 2018
Not in my opinion. Having days, weeks, or even months dedicated to important issues can only bring more attention to problems that surround them which I think is a good thing. Especially when it comes to things like Pride Month and Black History Month. Its a good way to bring attention to key issues surrounding the African American community and the LGBTQ community.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015
My brain doesn’t even register that shit anymore. Coloured wristbands. Coloured hats. Flags on profile pics. Pin badges. Charity adverts. Wide eyed kids staring at the lens. Kids carrying water 80,000 miles a day. Kids sleeping on cardboard. Elephants being shot. Snow leopards going extinct. Dress up this day. Dress up that day. Press the green button on the chip and pin to donate to charity. Give a percentage of your eBay sales to charity. Chuggers outside supermarkets. Scouts packing your shopping inside supermarkets. People knocking on the door with a folder full of cancer kid piccys. Save the poor working donkeys. Adopt a polar bear. Crowdfund my dads funeral. Go fund me to get home because I was too stupid to take out travel insurance and now I’m stuck in a third world shithole. Rich actors telling me to do more. Rich celebrities telling me to give more. Rich pop stars telling me to care more. International women’s day. International men’s day. LGBT day. Black day. Asian day. White da.. oops sorry no can do. Girl month. Lady month. Girl, lady female month!

On and on and on and on.......

I feel like a cow. My entire existence to these people and organisations boils down to my wallet.

It’s fucking overwhelming. Every fucker is on the bum.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Nowadays it's all companies trying to pander to audiences they want to convert into customers. When I see it I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction against it.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Divisive? Check

Profitable for parasites? Check

Appeal to ego? Check

Lure the ignorant? Check

Politically profitable? Check

Accomplish anything positive or tangible?

NO.

Much like people stopping traffic on a highway for a "cause" it has the reverse effect of upsetting, and alienating those who may actually care, or be a potential supporter.

How people fail to see this, is puzzling becuase it is often the supporters of these "cause months" that are self proclaimed woke, or enlightened peoples who cant see the obvious paradoxes these months create.

When you upset a substantial portion of the population in expressing an ideal, or trying to gain support for a cause, your doing it wrong and a change in tactics may be needed.

I'll never understand it, and pay no attention to any of it unless it's something actually worthy of my time, and an actual issue that deserves attention. Like a local charity, or the lions club that hand out tootsie rolls at traffic lights, and 4 ways for pocket change to help blind children.

Months because your defined by a letter in the alphabet?

Dont care, cant be bothered to care. The only person that does, is you and becuase you've proceeded to shove it in my face, and let me know just how terrible I am for essentially existing, I may actually fight against you out of spite at some point.

Nuts and bolts how I feel.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
They're fine.

I don't do anything particularly special for them, but at the same time it's cool for those who want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonfart28

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
They are a waste of time and money, but it helps corporations pander to leftists and their money, so whatever.

It is a good reminder that all that rhetoric from the lgbtq community about how they want to be treated as normal was a lie

Reactions: Sleepydays
Mar 18, 2018
They are a waste of time and money, but it helps corporations pander to leftists and their money, so whatever.

It is a good reminder that all that rhetoric from the lgbtq community about how they want to be treated as normal was a lie
To be fair, their is a division within that community from the people who fought for the rights in the 80s and 90s and those who have taken up idpol in the 2000s.

Look no further than what is happening in the Magic the Gathering community with one of the most iconic artists Terese Nielsen. Lesbian conservative who listens to everyone and now she’s being condemned by the new left activists who work AT WotC and their idpol customer base that lick boot.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
they are pretty ignorable tbh. yeah money making opportunities for corporations who want that woke dollar. tbh i wouldn't be surprised if HR departments across the world were responsible for these themed months. it feels like a corporate PR move.

Texas Pride

Feb 27, 2018
Texas
If people don't like you or a particular group then bringing attention to it isn't going to change that person's mind. Forced diversity is a fools errand.

Reactions: #Phonepunk#

somerset

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Once it was a *day* and that was reasonable. Why do you think your masters went to a *month*?

The answer is obvious. If you do not find it obvious, I promise there are better things for you to do with your life than worry about politics.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Can you give us an example of whites being celebrated?
He was being sarcastic mate. Making a joke based on the far-left constantly stating how good white people have it and how you can never be racist against white people.

Reactions: Zog

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
At the time of this thread's creation, it is June 1st - the start of "Pride Month". Within moments of it hitting midnight, I see Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites exploding with people changing their avatars to include opaque pride flags, celebrating how "unique" the LGBT community is, and selling special themed products. I have also seen a number of people give their stories of discrimination and coming out, sharing their experiences to those who may be struggling. This has been something I have been wondering for a while now, and given the freedom of expression we can have on GAF, I thought I would ask all of you what your thoughts are.

Are themed months like this necessary? Do we need a "black history" month? Do we need a "pride" month? Do these cause more damage in the long run than tangible benefits?

Personally, I don't see the need of this - at least in its current form. The vast majority of what I see are empty gestures that do nothing to help those who are struggling, those who experience real discrimination. Just as people would change their social media avatars to stand in "solidarity" of major terrorist attacks - this doesn't *help* anyone. It is posturing to make themselves feel better and not those who are actually struggling, those that are hurting or worse. I do not believe you need a specific month to talk about your experiences of racism, of discrimination - those are things that should be done when possible. However, those were just my thoughts and I was curious as to what those within those communities were thinking so I first went to and asked some of my friends and colleagues about their opinions. I listed a few key ones that I felt were rather eye-opening for me, personally:
  • "It has less to do with us [adults] and more to do with our children... seeing that reality isn't so bleak as social media portrays."
  • "Pointless. I just want to be seen as normal like everyone else. I don't need to be put in the spotlight, and it won't change anyone's opinion. If anything, it will push them further away."
  • "It goes counter to what we have tried to achieve over the past few centuries. Black history is just history, but a very directed and specified look at it. It ignores eras like the Aksum Kingdom or Apartheid as separate and heavily frowns on anyone questioning it."
  • "It isn't about changing people's minds, but giving hope to those that lost it a long time ago. These are people who have struggled and fought to maintain some societal standing while hiding their true selves. They need a time and place where they can be who they are."
The views were mostly split, some finding them more damaging while other seeing benefits. I can see where each of them comes from, however given that this is a heavily science based program in a conservative region - bias very well could be rampant. I would love to get some more differing opinions.

TL;DR - Pride Month, Black History Month, etc - do these provide more tangible benefits or are they ultimately more damaging to their causes? Discuss.
I think, on the face of it, they are good positive things. Though I do not know how much weight they actually carry.

The main beneficiaries seem to be corporations who use these occasions to make money. Or at least to build up positive PR that will make money in the future.

Probably it has always been this way with festivals and parades and the like. The local festival is a day where people can forget that life is shit and just have a nice time. The local businesses probably make a wee bit of extra cash and the economy gets a nice boost and people look forward to making next year even better.

Pride is a strange one because you basically have a situation where an entire city can come to a standstill to give people their parade and their celebration but they'll be right back on social media the next day whining about how "oppressed" they are because of their gender and/or sexuality.

Black History Month is similar in the USA in that you have all these positive messages and all of this celebration of Black History and as soon as February ends the activists are back on their "USA is a racist country" message.

So from that perspective there is almost no impact. These events just allow us to maybe "cover the cracks" in our society.

In many ways you can see it as people wanting to have their cake and eat it too. On one hand people want society to stop and acknowledge how unique and special and valuable they are but at the exact same time they want to berate society for not acknowledging those things.

This year there will be Pride events taking place all over America. These will get national coverage and will be widely celebrated and will mostly go ahead without incident. The events will be well attended and will be enjoyed by millions of people. Yet, we are also expected to believe that the USA is also a Fascist state that wants to stamp out the LGBTQ community and is actively doing so under the leadership of Orange Hitler.

In the UK people will take to the streets in celebration and you will see widespread displays of acceptance in a country that didn't fully decriminalize homosexuality until the 1980s. However you'd better not misgender someone on Twitter or the cops will be knocking on your door!

I believe that people enjoy Pride events because it is a good, fun, day out but it also seems to me like people have more grievances than ever before.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: bigedole

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
They are exercises for corporations to virtue signal and for others to scream LOOK AT ME with a feeling of impunity.

However, I feel that, for medical causes (ie: Breast Cancer Awareness Month etc.) there is justification. It's telling, however, that the medical events get very little exposure compared to the LOOK AT ME ones.
Nope. Breast cancer awareness month can go fuck itself too. More men die of testicular cancer than women die of breast cancer. Women's cancer also receives MUCH more funding. If you want to have a month dedicated to all cancer, fine. It's never about solving real issues. It's about pushing agenda.

• Love
Reactions: Zog
Dec 15, 2011
Nope. Breast cancer awareness month can go fuck itself too. More men die of testicular cancer than women die of breast cancer. Women's cancer also receives MUCH more funding. If you want to have a month dedicated to all cancer, fine. It's never about solving real issues. It's about pushing agenda.
April is Testicular Cancer Awareness month, at least here in the UK.
But this underlines my point in that the profile of these things is so low that some might wonder if they exist at all.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
In a word, no.

These causes bring visibility to relatively marginalized groups or topics that probably wouldn't be acknowledged or celebrated at all otherwise. Ultimately, it comes down to how invested an individual is in the topic that is being honored whether they support it or not. But the possible detrimental effect of people being annoyed by others celebrating a demographic or cause does not outweigh the positive effect visibility and acceptance has. Live and let live, as they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobody_Important
Dec 15, 2011
In a word, no.

These causes bring visibility to relatively marginalized groups or topics that probably wouldn't be acknowledged or celebrated at all otherwise. Ultimately, it comes down to how invested an individual is in the topic that is being honored whether they support it or not. But the possible detrimental effect of people being annoyed by others celebrating a demographic or cause does not outweigh the positive effect visibility and acceptance has. Live and let live, as they say.
Not really. And that's a shitty argument to say "If you don't like me waving this in your face then you're the problem".

Minority groups increasingly seem to have an issue with the fact of what the word represents.
This has got to such an extreme where those who happen to belong to a majority group are denigrated for it.
Demanding tolerence, nay, celebration whilst exhibiting intolerance is an equation that simply doesn't balance.

We are witnessing great harm through the practice of disproportionate representation.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: ArchaeEnkidu
Dec 15, 2011
Can you provide any evidence of this "great harm" that is being done?
Well, for one, there's some guy called Jussie Smollett. You might have heard of him.
For other examples I suggest you look at the Clown World thread.

It costs you nothing to ignore these things if you don't want to participate.
That is a dismissal, it doesn't address anything I said. And I didn't talk about my participation in things - so that's a misrepresentation of what I *did* say (and you decided to quote me and then remove all text from my quote ahead of your misrepresentation) It simply reinforces the "You're the problem" rhetoric from before.

Curiously, this is a good demonstration of the broken method of commentary of those who scream "TOLERATE US!!!!" whilst they refuse to tolerate others.

I don't endorse dishonesty or disengenuous arguments. And using identity politic terms to excuse those types of arguments is simply rejecting discussion and reason in favour of screaming "TOLERATE ME!!" again.

And to reference other comments I've made:
Cancer kills a lot of people.
But the objections here seem not to care about something as minor as an indiscriminate terminal disease.
No, what really matters is celebration of "marginalized groups"
:unsure:

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: ArchaeEnkidu

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Well, for one, there's some guy called Jussie Smollett. You might have heard of him.
For other examples I suggest you look at the Clown World thread.

That is a dismissal, it doesn't address anything I said. And I didn't talk about my participation in things - so that's a misrepresentation of what I *did* say (and you decided to quote me and then remove all text from my quote ahead of your misrepresentation) It simply reinforces the "You're the problem" rhetoric from before.

Curiously, this is a good demonstration of the broken method of commentary of those who scream "TOLERATE US!!!!" whilst they refuse to tolerate others.

I don't endorse dishonesty or disengenuous arguments. And using identity politic terms to excuse those types of arguments is simply rejecting discussion and reason in favour of screaming "TOLERATE ME!!" again.

And to reference other comments I've made:
Cancer kills a lot of people.
But the objections here seem not to care about something as minor as an indiscriminate terminal disease.
No, what really matters is celebration of "marginalized groups"
:unsure:
No need for the victimization complex, I wasn't trying to remove context - only wanted to streamline my reply. I won't truncate your post in this response.

But saying it costs you (or anyone) nothing to ignore these awareness months isn't a dismissal, but a simple truth. All the proffered opinions in this thread against the concept roughly boil down to "I don't see the need," which is fine enough, and more than enough reason to not participate.

But what does disallowing others to observe said months gain?

Dec 15, 2011
Care to be a bit more specific? I am not going to comb through pages of posts to try and guess at what you mean.
Every page of that thread has an abundance of the evidence you seek.

You only need to guess at what I mean if you refuse to read what I've actually said. I've been very clear.

Incidentally, I'm going to premptively call you out on your bullshit right now. Consider it a friendly tip on how to avoid being called out on bullshit:

1) Don't ask for evidence and then act so disinterested and lazy that you don't care for it when there's more than you care for. It demonstrates a lack of integrity and an expectation that one person must do all the work in the argument, including constructing your counter-argument for you - whilst you sit and wait to pick holes in it.

2) Don't take a clear statement and misrepresent them as unclear. This is an indication that you intend to distort the message before you discuss it. The setup of a straw-man, along with an implicit ad-hominem towards the person you are conversing with.

OK. Got that? Great.
I look forward to high-calibre, sincere discourse.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
No need for the victimization complex,
Again, this is the "You're the problem" angle. Plain and simple.
I highlighted questionable behaviour on your part. Your response is to project that your questionable behaviour is fine, and I'm the one with the problem.

I wasn't trying to remove context - only wanted to streamline my reply.
You removed everything save a period.
Combined with the text you responded with referencing things I hadn't said, your deliberate removal of things I actually had said is hardly a good-faith exchange.

But saying it costs you (or anyone) nothing to ignore these awareness months isn't a dismissal, but a simple truth.
It's true. And it's still a dismissal.
And it's still going back to something I hadn't even said. Again. Even after this is has been pointed out to you.
And it still doesn't address anything I did say. It's just a rejection of my position and what you think is a solution to a concern you clearly aren't interested in.

But what does disallowing others to observe said months gain?
Where did I say this?

Actually, that's a rhetorical question.
I'm not going to entertain someone who repeatedly (and I'm going to have to now assert "deliberately", given how this has been pointed out to you already) ignores what someone has said, and fabricates arguments on positions that haven't been made.

This is simply dishonest.
These dishonest, disengenous antics in discourse go hand in hand with the hypocrisy of the "TOLERATE ME WHILST I REFUSE TO TOLERATE YOU" mob.

Last edited:

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Where did I say this?

Actually, that's a rhetorical question.
I'm not going to entertain someone who repeatedly (and I'm going to have to now assert "deliberately", given how this has been pointed out to you already) removes and ignores what someone has said, and fabricates arguments on positions that haven't been made.
Disallowing the observance of these cultural celebrations is what this thread is about. You cannot have an observance without the celebration itself.

Your ultimate position that they ignore the reality that they aren't the majority, and in their subversion of established visibility due to what I assume to be demographic size, harm is caused as a result. This forced diversity actually infringes on what they're supposed to be addressing - which is the tolerance and awareness of marginalized communities.

It's a common refrain for pretty much all policies or subjects which attempt to address disproportional representation, be it affirmative action or cultural celebrations. However, simpler than most of these sorts of topics, ignoring designated months of observance is probably the easiest and efficient thing you can do if it isn't your jam.

Dec 15, 2011
I'm not going to entertain someone who repeatedly (and I'm going to have to now assert "deliberately", given how this has been pointed out to you already) ignores what someone has said, and fabricates arguments on positions that haven't been made.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Then it is done. Either way, the question has been answered.

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018
Theme months are just a bunch of people patting themselves on the back for nothing.

A bunch of corporations throw up profil pic or a banner with a rainbow flag on it or whatever and maybe post a tweet along the lines “yay gay rights” or something. I think it should be noted that they are only making such statements after it became socially acceptable and popular to do so. They would never actually put money on the line to stand up for anyone.

And then a bunch of gullible sheep celebrate the fact that these corporations are now using their “identity” or whatever as a marketing ploy, because they are dumb enough to believe these multibillion-dollar corporations give a single shit about them and their supposed plight.

It’s genuinely depressin that people don’t understand this.

Reactions: Rran and Kheal

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
A bunch of fantastic replies here. A thought had occured to me reading this - why is it that the people who seem to promote the celebration/pride of things out of their control (sexual orientation, skin colour) seem to vehemently oppose the celebration/pride of one's country?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
A bunch of fantastic replies here. A thought had occured to me reading this - why is it that the people who seem to promote the celebration/pride of things out of their control (sexual orientation, skin colour) seem to vehemently oppose the celebration/pride of one's country?
Because celebrating your country is seen as nationalistic, while celebrating your minority status is a virtue signal for intersectionality