• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are "Themed Months" more damaging or helpful to their causes?

Dec 15, 2011
Theme months are just a bunch of people patting themselves on the back for nothing.

A bunch of corporations throw up profil pic or a banner with a rainbow flag on it or whatever and maybe post a tweet along the lines “yay gay rights” or something. I think it should be noted that they are only making such statements after it became socially acceptable and popular to do so. They would never actually put money on the line to stand up for anyone.

And then a bunch of gullible sheep celebrate the fact that these corporations are now using their “identity” or whatever as a marketing ploy, because they are dumb enough to believe these multibillion-dollar corporations give a single shit about them and their supposed plight.

It’s genuinely depressin that people don’t understand this.
Shamelessly re-posting from the Clown World thread, but its entirely apt:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Lmao this fucking guy
>im not white i swear!!! im jewish!!!
Every time somebody wants to blame a white person for something they gotta play the jew card.
That interview was 2005. Only 14 years ago, people weren't insane.

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
There's more than 12 oppressed peoples in the world I believe.

This'll probably end with a Furry week. 🤮

Lmao this fucking guy
>im not white i swear!!! im jewish!!!
Every time somebody wants to blame a white person for something they gotta play the jew card.
Brap, I gotta say that I see someone who's Jewish not counting themselves as part of the White race to be a valid stance. Though I'm Jewish myself so maybe that gives you pause. We are, as a group a distinct ethnicity, and have been persecuted for being distinct. Those who hate us have been taught how to recognize us by looks alone. Of course, there are many Jews that can pass as White, but the whole remains distinct.

Race is a pretty vague thing. Especially if you're only taking melatonin into consideration. There could be three people in front of you with the exact same shade skin and three different races (Black, Brown, Asian, for example).

Reactions: brap

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
don't know about months, but im looking forward to ufc international fight week

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Let people celebrate whatever they want. I wish there was a pineapple on pizza month so it would piss everyone off.

• LOL
Reactions: Eiknarf

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
How interesting that it gets labelled as "infighting". That just seems like people expressing their opinion. What is the monolithic entity passing down marching orders for the sex-letters? How does one read these rules and adhere to them? The reason why I ask is because it can only be "infighting" if it is established that expressing opinion is "fighting", not "expressing opinions".

Who could have predicted that smashing a ton of letters together wouldn't result in solidarity? :pie_thinking:

royox

Nov 3, 2013
I love the "straights are winning!!" One, as if we straights gave a single fuck about them or we considered it a battle/war or something xD

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
If people don't like you or a particular group then bringing attention to it isn't going to change that person's mind. Forced diversity is a fools errand.
I was fine with Gay Pride Weekend. It was one weekend a year and there were parades and all of it. Great. But every day of the month, no, I don’t care. Maybe your sexual habits don’t need to be in full public display all day every day for a month. Like I don’t care what you do in the privacy of your own home, but when I have to be reminded on the hour every single day, it’s like, Jesus, TMI. How self involved do you have to be?

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
April is Testicular Cancer Awareness month, at least here in the UK.
But this underlines my point in that the profile of these things is so low that some might wonder if they exist at all.
National Prostate Health Month (NPHM), also known as National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, is observed every September in North America by health experts, health advocates, and individuals concerned with men's prostate health and prostate cancer.

Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Just proves that humans are a naturally waring and species of conflict. When one achieves 'all things equal' within a group, they then look for other things to fight and take issue with amongst themselves.

It is the narcissists and greed that want to take control and drive the narrative their way.

When the brain no longer has to fight for survival, it starts to fight itself.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
People keep bringing this up... His point about BHM is that all that SHOULD be in mainline history classes. The fact that they still aren't is why BHM exists ... And the history of BHM began way back in the 1920s... When it was just a week ... Started by a black man because many black folks had no idea about their history in this country (I noticed some kept bringing up things happening in Africa as if that has anything to do with the United States).

Yet he's incorrect in stating that the way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. Yet if you do, the people who ARE racist can continue to be racist, raise their kids in their racism and bring others to believe the same. The only way to combat racism is to dispel stereotypes, myths and falsehoods. White people are not all bad. Black people are not all bad. Asian people are not all bad ... And so on.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Just proves that humans are a naturally waring and species of conflict. When one achieves 'all things equal' within a group, they then look for other things to fight and take issue with amongst themselves.

It is the narcissists and greed that want to take control and drive the narrative their way.

When the brain no longer has to fight for survival, it starts to fight itself.

The milo/jp interview has a section where Milo talks about this. Basically, that once the community won everything and more it could ask for, 'normal' people left the movement and only the fringe extremists remained as activists, and they had to find things to fight to keep themselves employed. He goes into a bit more depth and i may not have paraphrased his exact message, but it was along those lines.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
People keep bringing this up... His point about BHM is that all that SHOULD be in mainline history classes. The fact that they still aren't is why BHM exists ... And the history of BHM began way back in the 1920s... When it was just a week ... Started by a black man because many black folks had no idea about their history in this country (I noticed some kept bringing up things happening in Africa as if that has anything to do with the United States).

Yet he's incorrect in stating that the way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. Yet if you do, the people who ARE racist can continue to be racist, raise their kids in their racism and bring others to believe the same. The only way to combat racism is to dispel stereotypes, myths and falsehoods. White people are not all bad. Black people are not all bad. Asian people are not all bad ... And so on.
I think Morgan Freeman did a great job making his point. I doubt he'd appreciate you mischaractizing it to fit your own agenda.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I think Morgan Freeman did a great job making his point. I doubt he'd appreciate you mischaractizing it to fit your own agenda.
LMBO! I didn't mischaracterize his statement as that's exactly what he meant... Or do I need to quote him AND myself? Looks like I do ..

“You're going to relegate my history to a month?” the 79-year-old actor said during a “60 Minutes” interview in 2005. “I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history.”

"His point about BHM is that all that SHOULD be in mainline history classes. The fact that they still aren't is why BHM exists"

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
LMBO! I didn't mischaracterize his statement as that's exactly what he meant... Or do I need to quote him AND myself? Looks like I do ..

“You're going to relegate my history to a month?” the 79-year-old actor said during a “60 Minutes” interview in 2005. “I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history.”

"His point about BHM is that all that SHOULD be in mainline history classes. The fact that they still aren't is why BHM exists"
No. His point is what he said. "Black history is American history."

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

You know , ill respond to this twice since i dont want to edit my original post.

Freeman starts out by calling the entire concept 'ridiculous'.
He then traps his opponent into admitting he wouldn't want it either.
He then follows this up with even more direct statements on how to end racism, to which you responded "Yet he's incorrect in stating that the way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it."

Yet you somehow have twisted your characterization of what he 'really' means is that he supports BHM because reasons.

Yeah. Ok. A strong black man speaks, and what he says is so at odds with your world view you need to translate it through your ideology and then restate what he really means... god damn, the irony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
It's good for advocacy and awareness.

If you have a themed month don't act like you own the whole month and don't gatekeep people from celebrating their own origin, heritage, identity, culture, and people.

I agree with @EviLore that education in school about black american history shouldn't be occuring within just one month(which is very late in the school year), but instead include that history with the rest of the lessons within the school year. BHM iniatives at schools were instituted because of how absolute shit any history about those events, people, and issues were taught in school classroom, if they were at all. BHM now serves as more of a quarantine month where any important education about those topics are delayed until February.

Reactions: DeafTourette

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
You know , ill respond to this twice since i dont want to edit my original post.

Freeman starts out by calling the entire concept 'ridiculous'.
He then traps his opponent into admitting he wouldn't want it either.
He then follows this up with even more direct statements on how to end racism, to which you responded "Yet he's incorrect in stating that the way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it."

Yet you somehow have twisted your characterization of what he 'really' means is that he supports BHM because reasons.

Yeah. Ok. A strong black man speaks, and what he says is so at odds with your world view you need to translate it through your ideology and then restate what he really means... god damn, the irony.
You're getting everything I said wrong.

The concept of ANY history month is ridiculous BECAUSE it's not integrated within the rest of the mainstream national History curriculum. Which is why we HAVE these months. Black, Asian, Native American, Jewish American, etc.

I don't know how else to make it ANY MORE simple than that.

And no, I didn't characterize his statements as some tacit support of BHM... He doesn't celebrate it? Good for him, but that doesn't take away from WHY we STILL have it. It IS American history but, yet, it's STILL not integrated WITHIN the mainstream national History curriculum.

And the part about racism is MY thoughts because not talking about racism is how it flourishes.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018

The concept of ANY history month is ridiculous BECAUSE it's not integrated within the rest of the mainstream national History curriculum. Which is why we HAVE these months. Black, Asian, Native American, Jewish American, etc.

And no, I didn't characterize his statements as some tacit support of BHM... He doesn't celebrate it? Good for him, but that doesn't take away from WHY we STILL have it. It IS American history but, yet, it's STILL not integrated WITHIN the mainstream national History curriculum.

And the part about racism is MY thoughts because not talking about racism is how it flourishes.
Every school I have ever been to, visited, or taught in has had in-depth looks at these topics you claim aren't in history classes - even dating back to the 1980s. You are full of it.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

I don't READ crazy ASS diatribes that SCREAM incoherently like BROKEN minds.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Every school I have ever been to, visited, or taught in has had in-depth looks at these topics you claim aren't in history classes - even dating back to the 1980s. You are full of it.
Yep. Learned about all of this from elementary, to middle and high school. From the 80s and 90s.

Reactions: ArchaeEnkidu
Jan 9, 2018
The most offensive thing about "Pride Month" is that it tries to mimic Black History Month, as if sexual preferences can be remotely compared to the struggle for racial equality. No; it can't.

Black History concerns an entire people, an actual human community that reproduces itself and has long intergenerational histories of suffering. "Pride" is just a nebulous catch-all phrase that stretches from teenagers coloring their hair in college to get back at dad to various identity fetishes and everything in between. It's not a community, a race, or a people. It's a newly branded consumer identity based on ever-changing sexual fashions.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
The most offensive thing about "Pride Month" is that it tries to mimic Black History Month, as if sexual preferences can be remotely compared to the struggle for racial equality. No; it can't.

Black History concerns an entire people, an actual human community that reproduces itself and has long intergenerational histories of suffering. "Pride" is just a nebulous catch-all phrase that stretches from teenagers coloring their hair in college to get back at dad to various identity fetishes and everything in between. It's not a community, a race, or a people. It's a newly branded consumer identity based on ever-changing sexual fashions.
I would argue Black History does not concern an entire people, but a very small portion of that people within a very specific timeframe. I have not seen a single Black History month that talks about the Arab Slave Trade, Aksum Kingdom, or Apartheid. That is some "other" history that doesn't concern the hero worship that seems to be prevalent within the States.

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018

It is in mainline history classes... What specific topics about african-american history do you feel aren’t adequately covered?

And while not talking about racism won’t get rid of it (nothing can get rid of it), people wanting to be offended are are contantly bitching about politically-incorrect people and claiming that they’re a threat that needs to be removed, so on, so forth. That ends up giving those people a lot of power that they wouldn’t be able to have otherwise. The constant race-baiting and accusations of racism, both in journalism and on social media, is creating division along racial lines. That is the perfect breeding ground for actual real racism.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
I do all caps for emphasis, not screaming. Thanks tho.
That is why we have underline, italics, and bold. Caps has always been for yelling/screaming on the internet.

Also would love to see your answer for Whitesnake's question.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com

It is in mainline history classes... What specific topics about african-american history do you feel aren’t adequately covered?

And while not talking about racism won’t get rid of it (nothing can get rid of it), people wanting to be offended are are contantly bitching about politically-incorrect people and claiming that they’re a threat that needs to be removed, so on, so forth. That ends up giving those people a lot of power that they wouldn’t be able to have otherwise. The constant race-baiting and accusations of racism, both in journalism and on social media, is creating division along racial lines. That is the perfect breeding ground for actual real racism.
I'm sorry... Let me ask... Did they cover slavery and the civil rights movement? Is that it? Then no, they don't cover more if that's all you think black people contributed to this country.

And no .. that isn't the breeding ground for it since no actual racist even needs those things to BE racist.

And I don't think every person is racist. Only subset of the population is.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
I'm sorry... Let me ask... Did they cover slavery and the civil rights movement? Is that it? Then no, they don't cover more if that's all you think black people contributed to this country.

And no .. that isn't the breeding ground for it since no actual racist even needs those things to BE racist.

Oh cool. You are now moving goalposts. First you say "His point about BHM is that all that SHOULD be in mainline history classes. The fact that they still aren't is why BHM exists." Outright stating that Black History is not in mainline history classes. Now you are stating that Black history is - just not all of it. Make up your mind.

Every major event that is covered in Black History month I remember being taught in schools - cursory looks at the major tribes/clans of Africa that enslaved their own people, the regions where they came from, how they entered America, how they were treated, the most famous black americans of those eras that helped shape its culture, etc. All the things you keep claiming are not taught. They are, at least in my region (Midwest in large regions of mostly conservative folk at that).

There is not enough time to dedicate every single thing relegated to black history into a single (or multiple) high school course(s) for relevance in America, let alone the world. Entire PhDs have been predicated on studying single tribes in Africa or small 10-100 year spans of human history in specific regions. Please tell me how much you learned about the the Kingdom of Kush? The Aksum Kingdom? The Ajuran Empire? Kingdom of Sennar? Ancient Carthage? The Arab Slave Trade?

I would be surprised if it was anything but a very cursory, superficial look at any of that. All of it is important to Black History, let alone history of the human race in general.

Reactions: oagboghi2

Whitesnake

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2018
Since you evidently didn’t read my comment before responding to it, I’ll ask you the question again in the hopes that you will actually try to respond to it this time.

What specific topics about african-american history do you feel aren’t adequately covered?

I didn’t say that it was needed. I said that racial tension, divide, and hatred can (and often does) lead to racism.
If you have any sort of counterpoint to that I’d like to hear it.

1. No one said you thought that.
2. That subset probably isn’t as big as you want it to be.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
i grew up in Georgia, USA and was in elementary school in the 80s and yes, they covered it all, even then. they covered slavery and the native american removal. they covered the civil war, they covered reconstruction, jim crow, the harlem renaissance, black GI's coming back from WWII seeking equal rights with the people they fought alongside, etc. all this they covered in a rural southern public school in the 80s in Social Studies class. i believe Social Studies started around grade 3 and continued up until high school.

at any rate, these themed months don't seem to do much educating. in fact the idea of educating the ignorant is iteslf apparently offensive. i see "why should it be my job to educate some bigot?" around a lot. fine, then, but don't complain if they are ignorant when you were given the chance to explain and wasted it complaining that it wasn't your job.

Last edited:

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
It's good for advocacy and awareness.

If you have a themed month don't act like you own the whole month and don't gatekeep people from celebrating their own origin, heritage, identity, culture, and people.

I agree with @EviLore that education in school about black american history shouldn't be occuring within just one month(which is very late in the school year), but instead include that history with the rest of the lessons within the school year. BHM iniatives at schools were instituted because of how absolute shit any history about those events, people, and issues were taught in school classroom, if they were at all. BHM now serves as more of a quarantine month where any important education about those topics are delayed until February.
It's become too diluted and crowded though. Months/days for everything. Even fucking Star Wars has a day. It's a clusterfuck and most normies simply don't care anymore.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
i grew up in Georgia, USA and was in elementary school in the 80s and yes, they covered it all, even then. they covered slavery and the native american removal. they covered the civil war, they covered reconstruction, jim crow, the harlem renaissance, black GI's coming back from WWII seeking equal rights with the people they fought alongside, etc. all this they covered in a rural southern public school in the 80s in Social Studies class. i believe Social Studies started around grade 3 and continued up until high school.

at any rate, these themed months don't seem to do much educating. in fact the idea of educating the ignorant is iteslf apparently offensive. i see "why should it be my job to educate some bigot?" around a lot. fine, then, but don't complain if they are ignorant when you were given the chance to explain and wasted it complaining that it wasn't your job.
I grew up in MISSISSIPPI in the 80s... Every year it was slavery and civil rights. MAYBE one or two years in a row we covered someone like George Washington Carver who invented many of the peanut products we use to this day.

We didn't cover Black Wall St (before the destruction and wanting killings and after), Rosewood, Shirley Chisolm, The Black Panther Party and their influence beyond CA (it was their free lunch program that inspired the national free school lunch program) ... I'm at work so I can't list everything *I* Think should have been included but a lot was left out of the texts I read through in elementary and high school.

@Whitesnake ... This part of my answer... I'm at work (factory) and my breaks aren't long. I'll try to answer more when I'm off later tonight (I don't get off until 11pm)