• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any networking guru's on GAF? PS5 share play refuses to work and I don't know why...Tried EVERYTHING

wvnative

So like, whenever I try to Share Play on my PS5, I get forever stuck on "Connecting to host" until I cancel it manually. I originally chalked this up to buggy firmware since share play works great on my PS4 and everything else I do works fantastic. But it's been this way since launch, and also my friends can connect to me on Share Play without issue on both their PS4 and their PS5, and they say the image quality is mostly pretty good.
After realizing it seemingly works fine for everyone else, I thought, no matter how silly it seems, maybe it's a bizarre hardware issue with my unit?
Well, my friend let me borrow his PS5 to test that theory, since at his house it works for him, and...same result as my PS5. So clearly it's a network issue in my home but I don't know what that is exactly...
  1. Works fine on my PS4, and that is on wi-fi
  2. My PS5 is hardwired to the router, 200mbps upload and 200mbps download, and in the DMZ
  3. Tried Wi-Fi on the PS5, connection is just as good, no noticeable difference, but still Share Play didn't work.
  4. Tried (TEMPORARILY) to lower the firewall on my Router just to see if that worked, it did not.
  5. Tried swapping accounts in the extremely unlikely case it's a bizarre account issue (Never thought this would work, I am just thorough when doing science) of course, this did not work.
  6. I use the old T-mobile varient of the old Asus R68U, so it's a fairly old router by this point, I had a netgear nighthawk r7800 laying around and swapped it temporarily, still didn't work. Can't keep the nighthawk regardless due to the damn thing always cutting off in the middle of the day.
  7. Should have mentioned this first, but forgot in the midst of typing up all the details, only "Share Play" doesn't work, "Share Screen" works fine, so I can at least watch others play, just can't take control, the PS5 splits share screen and share play into two different things
I'm at a total loss, I could buy a brand new router that isn't 5+ years old but based on what I have seen I got serious doubts that will work, I have the money, just seems a waste of time.
I don't want to keep my PS4 around forever just for share play, but it is a feature I used a lot on PS4, got a friend that really likes playing through single player games together.
Really want this to work...

What happens if you hardwire that bad boy directly into your ISP's modem/equipment? (bypass your router all together, for about 30 seconds).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
everything GIF

Sorry, can't help as I have zero understanding of it, but perhaps this GIF can offer some relief, hope, and motivation. Good luck!

wvnative

Does Share Play on PS5 only works with PS5 games?

Nope, it now works on any PS4/PS5 game that isn't publisher blocked already, and works between PS4/PS5 after the April update.

Is UPnP turned on for the console, in your router?

Yes

Did you try turning your router and modem off and then back on again? :messenger_smirking:

Only 20 times so far

What happens if you hardwire that bad boy directly into your ISP's modem/equipment? (bypass your router all together, for about 30 seconds).

When they installed my fiber, they didn't give me any sort of modem or box, it's just a wire coming out of the floor straight to the back of my router.

It's just such a strange issue, especially given it works fine on PS4, and everything else in my home works great,

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5’s share play’s speed is the best part I love rewatching clips right now I would absolutely call Sony for an actual answer.

Nope, it now works on any PS4/PS5 game that isn't publisher blocked already, and works between PS4/PS5 after the April update.

Yes

Only 20 times so far

When they installed my fiber, they didn't give me any sort of modem or box, it's just a wire coming out of the floor straight to the back of my router.

It's just such a strange issue, especially given it works fine on PS4, and everything else in my home works great,

The wire that's coming out of the floor is just an ethernet cable right? If so, I'd still give it a try, once you do that, you'll have your answer if it's your router or not.

wvnative

The wire that's coming out of the floor is just an ethernet cable right? If so, I'd still give it a try, once you do that, you'll have your answer if it's your router or not.

Wait are you asking me to connect the wire coming out of my floor to my PS5? Cause there ain't no way to accomplish that.

PS5 wire runs under the house from my bedroom to the modem in my living room

Patrick S.

Banned

Yes

Only 20 times so far

So you're on a fiber city net? Then I guess the router isn't actually doing any routing, but only acting as a switch and WIFI access point. Then you might need to ask your ISP to open the ports Sony share play uses.

Wait are you asking me to connect the wire coming out of my floor to my PS5? Cause there ain't no way to accomplish that.

PS5 wire runs under the house from my bedroom to the modem in my living room

Yeah that's what I am asking lol. Out of curiosity, is the PS5 set as your primary console in the settings of your PlayStation account?

wvnative

Yeah that's what I am asking lol. Out of curiosity, is the PS5 set as your primary console in the settings of your PlayStation account?

Yeah

Why would you put console in DMZ??

Growing up in my Teen years, I was always told to do this to ensure all ports remain open on the console to minimize possible issues with games because back when I had DSL I had a multitude of issues with PS3 COD games and LBP. This actually helped back then, so I have continued to do it, only on my playstation systems.

So you're on a fiber city net? Then I guess the router isn't actually doing any routing, but only acting as a switch and WIFI access point. Then you might need to ask your ISP to open the ports Sony share play uses.

I dunno dude they called it fiber to the home when they installed it. Anyway I wouldn't think they're blocking it given it works on my PS4 both ways.

Gotta get back to life for now but will check back tomorrow, I appreciate anybody's advice trying to help. I'm more confused than anything else and am simply mad I cannot figure the issue out.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think they are blocking it, typically anything you throw into a DMZ is for purposes of exposing self hosted applications/services to the internet, while also segmenting it from your LAN (In the event that any intrusion took place on your public facing DMZ, only those hosts would be at risk and not your internal hosts on the LAN assuming you had proper rules in place to limit east-west traffic)

Regardless of the fiber whether it be a passive/active, they'd still break out an ethernet cable to connect to customer provided equipment (Your wireless router).

I still propose that you unplug the cable from your wireless router (Even if you have to temporarily move your PS5 closer to it) and test it out.

I've seen tons of WiFi devices struggle or having issues with certain wireless routers despite other WiFi devices having no issues at all.

Also, before you do indeed pawn this off on your ISP, I'd checking the following:

Are you behind CGNAT? < The easiest way to tell this is to look at the IP that is being assigned to the WAN interface on your router, is it within the range of any listed below:

• 10.x.x.x
  • 192.168.x.x
  • 172.16.x.x - 172.16.31.255
  • 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255

PaintTinJr

So like, whenever I try to Share Play on my PS5, I get forever stuck on "Connecting to host" until I cancel it manually. I originally chalked this up to buggy firmware since share play works great on my PS4 and everything else I do works fantastic. But it's been this way since launch, and also my friends can connect to me on Share Play without issue on both their PS4 and their PS5, and they say the image quality is mostly pretty good.
After realizing it seemingly works fine for everyone else, I thought, no matter how silly it seems, maybe it's a bizarre hardware issue with my unit?
Well, my friend let me borrow his PS5 to test that theory, since at his house it works for him, and...same result as my PS5. So clearly it's a network issue in my home but I don't know what that is exactly...
  2. My PS5 is hardwired to the router, 200mbps upload and 200mbps download, and in the DMZ
  3. Tried Wi-Fi on the PS5, connection is just as good, no noticeable difference, but still Share Play didn't work.
  4. Tried (TEMPORARILY) to lower the firewall on my Router just to see if that worked, it did not.
  5. Tried swapping accounts in the extremely unlikely case it's a bizarre account issue (Never thought this would work, I am just thorough when doing science) of course, this did not work.
  6. I use the old T-mobile varient of the old Asus R68U, so it's a fairly old router by this point, I had a netgear nighthawk r7800 laying around and swapped it temporarily, still didn't work. Can't keep the nighthawk regardless due to the damn thing always cutting off in the middle of the day.
  7. Should have mentioned this first, but forgot in the midst of typing up all the details, only "Share Play" doesn't work, "Share Screen" works fine, so I can at least watch others play, just can't take control, the PS5 splits share screen and share play into two different things
I'm at a total loss, I could buy a brand new router that isn't 5+ years old but based on what I have seen I got serious doubts that will work, I have the money, just seems a waste of time.
I don't want to keep my PS4 around forever just for share play, but it is a feature I used a lot on PS4, got a friend that really likes playing through single player games together.
It is certainly an intriguing issue, where it works in both directions with your PS4, and works for your PS5 when it is serving -as far as I understood your info - but only half works when someone else is serving - although it isn't a feature I've used, so might be misunderstanding.

It would be interesting to know if Share Play works completely if one of your friends' PS5s is share playing with you - with both consoles connected to your router (inside your LAN) - because if that doesn't work, then it sounds like a potential PS5 software issue - needing a backup of saves to PS+ and a format/factory reset and firmware reinstall for your PS5 in the service menu - or a faulty console, but I suspect that isn't the issue at all.

I'm assuming that your friends don't have the high upload speed of 200mbps (or even fibre) that you have, and so there is a common mismatch of MTU size (Maximum Transmission Unit) between your broadband and theirs', and though that presents no issue to the PS4, the sheer throughput of the PS5 to potentially saturate connections means that when they serve, there is either excessive fragmentation to allow you to connect and take control, or that the long cable running under your house - which connects into your router's WAN port - is exhibiting error rates at such throughput, in part because of the large packets, and the error rate or resend latency exceeds the QoS required for a friend's PS5 accept a connection that allows you to take control.

Overriding your PS5's MTU setting in the advanced network options to something like 1450, should be an easy test. Or alternatively, just get your router to serve a guest wireless B or G connection, and connect the PS5 to that speed and see if it then works. The reason why that would be an interesting test, is that the original PS4 - which I presume you have - only features 2.4Ghz wifi IIRC, so between the slow throughput because of slow HDDs and Jaguar Cores, the actual wifi connections won't be topping out your 200mbps connection on the old PS4.

Last edited:

theHFIC

Is your PS4 still connected to the same network as your PS5? Possibly the PS4 is claiming ownership of the ports needed for SharePlay and the PS5 gets knocked off?

Have you tried removing the PS4 from the equation temporarily so the PS5 is the only PlayStation on the network?

Shmunter

Sounds like an isp induced Double Nat. Think of it as your router behind another router. Your internet ip may be being shared with other users simultaneously. Check with a game like Call Of Duty to see if the NAT is Open.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah

Growing up in my Teen years, I was always told to do this to ensure all ports remain open on the console to minimize possible issues with games because back when I had DSL I had a multitude of issues with PS3 COD games and LBP. This actually helped back then, so I have continued to do it, only on my playstation systems.

I dunno dude they called it fiber to the home when they installed it. Anyway I wouldn't think they're blocking it given it works on my PS4 both ways.

Gotta get back to life for now but will check back tomorrow, I appreciate anybody's advice trying to help. I'm more confused than anything else and am simply mad I cannot figure the issue out.
Nowadays is cool to keep just uPnP and you should be cool. I remember the DMZ situation with PS3. But I think since then Sony improved their network stack. It's just an not standard use case and it does not mean that it couldn't cause issues, it depends how router handle it. Not sure what are you using if router or router switch combo.

old-parts

Try this
1) Remove PS5 from DMZ.
2) In router settings make note of the DHCP servers range e.g. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.256
3) Alter the starting point so its 192.168.1.5
4) Configure a manual IP address on the PS5 assigning it 192.168.1.4, this prevents IP conflict as the manual IP is outside the auto assigned range.
5) Within your router forward the following TCP/UDP ports on the 192.168.1.4 IP address for share play.
987 for remote wakeup.
9295, 9296, 9304 for the stream.

See if that works.

wvnative

Yeah I don't think they are blocking it, typically anything you throw into a DMZ is for purposes of exposing self hosted applications/services to the internet, while also segmenting it from your LAN (In the event that any intrusion took place on your public facing DMZ, only those hosts would be at risk and not your internal hosts on the LAN assuming you had proper rules in place to limit east-west traffic)

Regardless of the fiber whether it be a passive/active, they'd still break out an ethernet cable to connect to customer provided equipment (Your wireless router).

I still propose that you unplug the cable from your wireless router (Even if you have to temporarily move your PS5 closer to it) and test it out.

I've seen tons of WiFi devices struggle or having issues with certain wireless routers despite other WiFi devices having no issues at all.

Also, before you do indeed pawn this off on your ISP, I'd checking the following:

Are you behind CGNAT? < The easiest way to tell this is to look at the IP that is being assigned to the WAN interface on your router, is it within the range of any listed below:

• 10.x.x.x
  • 192.168.x.x
  • 172.16.x.x - 172.16.31.255
  • 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255

192.168.29.1 is what I got under "LAN IP", is that what your looking for?

Sadly while I do wanna try it, with the current setup I cannot get the PS5 to the router, there is no nearby TV and the area around the router is a mess.

It is certainly an intriguing issue, where it works in both directions with your PS4, and works for your PS5 when it is serving -as far as I understood your info - but only half works when someone else is serving - although it isn't a feature I've used, so might be misunderstanding.

It would be interesting to know if Share Play works completely if one of your friends' PS5s is share playing with you - with both consoles connected to your router (inside your LAN) - because if that doesn't work, then it sounds like a potential PS5 software issue - needing a backup of saves to PS+ and a format/factory reset and firmware reinstall for your PS5 in the service menu - or a faulty console, but I suspect that isn't the issue at all.

I'm assuming that your friends don't have the high upload speed of 200mbps (or even fibre) that you have, and so there is a common mismatch of MTU size (Maximum Transmission Unit) between your broadband and theirs', and though that presents no issue to the PS4, the sheer throughput of the PS5 to potentially saturate connections means that when they serve, there is either excessive fragmentation to allow you to connect and take control, or that the long cable running under your house - which connects into your router's WAN port - is exhibiting error rates at such throughput, in part because of the large packets, and the error rate or resend latency exceeds the QoS required for a friend's PS5 accept a connection that allows you to take control.

Overriding your PS5's MTU setting in the advanced network options to something like 1450, should be an easy test. Or alternatively, just get your router to serve a guest wireless B or G connection, and connect the PS5 to that speed and see if it then works. The reason why that would be an interesting test, is that the original PS4 - which I presume you have - only features 2.4Ghz wifi IIRC, so between the slow throughput because of slow HDDs and Jaguar Cores, the actual wifi connections won't be topping out your 200mbps connection on the old PS4.

So when I borrowed my friends PS5, I did not think to try that, I should have. I already tried reinstalling firmware but A that did not work B given it doesn't work on my friends' PS5 at my house but works fine at his own house suggests to me there is no firmware/hardware issue here.

What I did do was get on Friend B's account, since we game share anyway, on my PS4, fire up FF7R, and then hopped on my PS5 on my own account to share play between the two consoles, sure enough, the PS5 would not connect, but it worked fine the other way around.

Both my friends had a launch PS4 throughout the generation, I eventually got a PS4 pro, but in the last 5-6 months leading up to PS5's launch I had to swap back to a PS4 slim that was being used as a netflix machine because the Pro was shitting the bed. It's on 5ghz/wireless N. Once I got fiber in 2017 alongside my PS4 pro I never had issues with share play.

I already have a 2.4/G network so that my PS3 can continue using online services, so I can try that, already tried wi-fi on PS5 but didn't think to try the G network. I will also try the MTU suggestion when I can.

Friend A has 400 Download and 20 upload on a Spectrum cable connection

Friend B has 1gb Download and 30 upload on Xfinnity cable, I think, he says his plan says fiber but he never saw them ever run fiber and he still has a cable modem

Is your PS4 still connected to the same network as your PS5? Possibly the PS4 is claiming ownership of the ports needed for SharePlay and the PS5 gets knocked off?

Have you tried removing the PS4 from the equation temporarily so the PS5 is the only PlayStation on the network?

I have permanently removed the PS4 from the equation because as much I love Share Play, it wasn't worth the space given It was only being used for share play. I could always hook it back up though which I may do.

Try this
1) Remove PS5 from DMZ.
2) In router settings make note of the DHCP servers range e.g. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.256
4) Configure a manual IP address on the PS5 assigning it 192.168.1.4, this prevents IP conflict as the manual IP is outside the auto assigned range.
5) Within your router forward the following TCP/UDP ports on the 192.168.1.4 IP address for share play.
987 for remote wakeup.

See if that works.

Tried this before to no avail but might try again as I may have got the ports wrong as I found conflicting info on google as to what PSN used for streaming.

Unfortunately both of my friends are busy the next several days so it may be awhile before I can test any of this

So, any device that connects to your LAN or WLAN (Hardwire or Wireless) should be receiving an IP Address in the range of 192.168.29. X. What I am curious about, is what IP is on the WAN interface (This interface connects directly to your ISP).

Sorry I was looking in the wrong spot

Hmm. Okay, so they are passing a publicly routable address to your WAN, so that's good. You had the other PS5 brought over, and it exhibited the same behavior. So, it's either ISP related, or you have a jank router. Although, you said you tried the nighthawk and it had similar issues, so it very well could be ISP related at this point. And yeah, edit that IP lol so that no one can see it.

Last edited:
So just to confirm, that IP address, you logged into your router and observed that on the WAN interface? (Not googled "What's my WAN IP", etc).

wvnative

Hmm. Okay, so they are passing a publicly routable address to your WAN, so that's good. You had the other PS5 brought over, and it exhibited the same behavior. So, it's either ISP related, or you have a jank router. Although, you said you tried the nighthawk and it had similar issues, so it very well could be ISP related at this point. And yeah, edit that IP lol so that no one can see it.

Edited.

Both routers are older though...could that matter?

I will try the other suggestions in this thread when my friends have free time.

I appreciate everyone in this thread who has given me so much info... thank you guys.

lmao

everything GIF

Sorry, can't help as I have zero understanding of it, but perhaps this GIF can offer some relief, hope, and motivation. Good luck!

I appreciate the moral support!

wvnative

So just to confirm, that IP address, you logged into your router and observed that on the WAN interface? (Not googled "What's my WAN IP", etc).

Yeah, I would screenshot it but...ya know...

I just got confused cause my router listed the wan ip in small text on a page I didn't expect it to be on.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Well...just trying to answer his question...

It's fine...probably
Just for future reference; with your public IP address I can find out your physical address, your full name, and various other information about you if I wanted to. And that’s besides the point of revealing to the world that the IP address you listed is in a relatively vulnerable SOHO environment, ripe for exploitation. Glad you fixed it. 👍

wvnative

Just for future reference; with your public IP address I can find out your physical address, your full name, and various other information about you if I wanted to. And that’s besides the point of revealing to the world that the IP address you listed is in a relatively vulnerable SOHO environment, ripe for exploitation. Glad you fixed it. 👍

I know...i just got too focused on just answering everyone's questions...

Golgo 13

I know...i just got too focused on just answering everyone's questions...
As someone who works in Networking I have no idea what your issue might be. Could be your ISP. ISP’s are notorious for flagging certain types of packets and either 1) Dropping them, or 2) Slowing down transmission so much that nothing functions.

They’ve done this in the past for Torrent traffic until they were caught and taken to court (at which point they stopped meddling). But I don’t see how Screen Sharing would stand out. If there’s a way to reset your PS5’s Network settings AND your Router back to relative defaults, that’s the next thing I’d try. Sometimes with all the meddling and troubleshooting you end up changing something that’s hard to retroactively fix. In any case, good luck to you.

lingpanda

You by chance have a previous PS5 before this unit? If so, may need to deactivate the old unit.

Golgo 13

Quick follow up question - when you took the PS5 to your friends house, did he log in with YOUR PSN ID? I’m wondering if YOUR PS5 network settings were present when he used the PS5 at his house.

There are glitches on ps5 itself some units still have issues with the sleep or rest mode corrupting files. So who knows what other bugs modern developers left in there.

Also have heard even basic internet can fail with certain router models, another option is testing a different router as that could fix the issue.

Anyway due to complexity ladder, lot of things could go wrong at any one of many levels and few general multidomain specialists remain, most people specialized on just one level or thing and clueless outside expertise area.

Patrick S.

Banned
There are glitches on ps5 itself some units still have issues with the sleep or rest mode corrupting files. So who knows what other bugs modern developers left in there.

Also have heard even basic internet can fail with certain router models, another option is testing a different router as that could fix the issue.

Anyway due to complexity ladder, lot of things could go wrong at any one of many levels and few general multidomain specialists remain, most people specialized on just one level or thing and clueless outside expertise area.
Chris Rock Reaction GIF

wvnative

You by chance have a previous PS5 before this unit? If so, may need to deactivate the old unit.

No this is my only one I have had, got it at launch

Quick follow up question - when you took the PS5 to your friends house, did he log in with YOUR PSN ID? I’m wondering if YOUR PS5 network settings were present when he used the PS5 at his house.

I didn't take it to his house, he brought his to MY house, and I tried my own account on it.

As someone who works in Networking I have no idea what your issue might be. Could be your ISP. ISP’s are notorious for flagging certain types of packets and either 1) Dropping them, or 2) Slowing down transmission so much that nothing functions.

They’ve done this in the past for Torrent traffic until they were caught and taken to court (at which point they stopped meddling). But I don’t see how Screen Sharing would stand out. If there’s a way to reset your PS5’s Network settings AND your Router back to relative defaults, that’s the next thing I’d try. Sometimes with all the meddling and troubleshooting you end up changing something that’s hard to retroactively fix. In any case, good luck to you.

I will try just defaulting everything after I try other suggestions in the thread

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This happened to me, and I spent approximately six hours on a help line, after getting put on hold for eighteen minute intervals only broken up by the ramblings of third world Indian sounding people whose third language must have been English, before the Bell's Palsy. I reached out to Sony, and when that didn't work, I put some feelers out to my internet service provider. After a lengthy process of sending my modem back and forth, trying a new one, failing, and sending it back and forth again, I started to consult the internet. I happened upon several shady websites and black market modem dealers, and ended up receiving the link to a couple of .onions that I was assured had the answer. Needless to say, after several conversations with an animal therapist (whom I'm pretty sure just wanted my cryptocurrency) and FBI honeypot agents, I was directed to a small shack on the outskirts of the Pennsylvania wood. I spoke to the elderly man inside, and he let out a raspy cough. He said he'd love to help, but he had been assailed several days prior by a couple of guys who were up to no good, they had started making trouble in his neighborhood. He got in one little fight and his mom got scared, she said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air," I never received the answers I was seeking from the man.

Then I went home and realized you had to plug modems in. Duh, electricity, am I right?

wvnative

This happened to me, and I spent approximately six hours on a help line, after getting put on hold for eighteen minute intervals only broken up by the ramblings of third world Indian sounding people whose third language must have been English, before the Bell's Palsy. I reached out to Sony, and when that didn't work, I put some feelers out to my internet service provider. After a lengthy process of sending my modem back and forth, trying a new one, failing, and sending it back and forth again, I started to consult the internet. I happened upon several shady websites and black market modem dealers, and ended up receiving the link to a couple of .onions that I was assured had the answer. Needless to say, after several conversations with an animal therapist (whom I'm pretty sure just wanted my cryptocurrency) and FBI honeypot agents, I was directed to a small shack on the outskirts of the Pennsylvania wood. I spoke to the elderly man inside, and he let out a raspy cough. He said he'd love to help, but he had been assailed several days prior by a couple of guys who were up to no good, they had started making trouble in his neighborhood. He got in one little fight and his mom got scared, she said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air," I never received the answers I was seeking from the man.

Then I went home and realized you had to plug modems in. Duh, electricity, am I right?

Dude props for making me lol hard

wvnative

Just tried both MTU adjustment to 1450, and tried wireless G, no change.

Try this
1) Remove PS5 from DMZ.
987 for remote wakeup.

See if that works.

also just tried exactly what you said, no change

elco

This has got to be either something on Sony's end, perhaps related to your account, or your ISP. Sony is doing some sort of address/permissions lookup when you attempt to join, and perhaps something is wonky on their end. I think this is unlikely, and you could probably rule that out if you used your friends account when you borrowed his PS5.

I think more likely it's your ISP doing something silly. I've only used share play a handful of times, and never on my PS5, but you said they changed the behavior between share play and share screen? Perhaps the share play data is being encapsulated differently and your ISP is handling this differently because of it.

You could probably prove this theory if you're willing to figure out how to tunnel your network over a vpn. Maybe the ps5 has a vpn setting in the network settings, otherwise you'd have to get creative or drop some money on a nice router. I think this would get your traffic through whatever rules your ISP may be running on your traffic.

Other than that, I think you're at the mercy of your ISP and trying to get ahold of a competent support person.

It's fairly common for ISP's to block specific ports if someone in your area previously called looking for help accessing that same port. If Bob gets a PS5 and can't get the party chat to work, or has certain features work but not others, he might call his ISP for help. The tech at his ISP will often first check to see if Bob is getting the proper ports he needs. Depending on how the infrastructure is setup, the tech will make sure Bob has access to all the ports he needs. In order to reduce traffic congestion, or contamination from other users nearby. The tech will often close some or all of those ports to Bob's neighbors who might be interfering if the neighborhood all feeds into the same PON or hub. Bob's problem eventually gets fixed on way or another, and since the vast majority of people don't need specific ports open, the Tech simply leaves them locked to the neighborhood just to make sure Bob always had access. What chance is it that any of Bob's neighbors will ever need that specific port open anyway. You might be Bob's neighbor.

Another scenario that basically happens everywhere is ISP's spending as little money as absolutely possible on hardware. Despite what the advertising says, fiber internet often isn't straight fiber all the way through. Probably around half the people here on Gaf who have fiber internet, have fiber that uses a wireless backhaul. That means that if you followed the fiber out of your house, it might lead to a nearby pole. From there you and your neighbors fiber might travel to a transmitter. The transmitter might be the street over, or a few blocks. Everyone's fiber and thus their signal would go to that transmitter where it would beam the signal over to the closest tower or pole where a reciever is located. The reciever would be located to the nearest access point to the overall fiber network installed by one of the big boys. That saves the ISP time and money so that they don't have to bury cable all the way across town. Wireless backhaul has the potential to be overrun though. If you have fiber, and still notice that your internet speeds slow significantly during primetime, and weekends, then you almost certainly are on a wireless backhaul. To prevent congestion, or to prevent any one user from hogging all the bandwidth. ISP's will often give each home a certain number of ports to use. Even if they don't lock you out of the port you need, or any port for that matter. The ports that your devices and routers routinely use may have reached the max number of ports available. So when your PS5 tries to use a specific one needed for share play, it wont work.

After all that wall of text. The easy and simple solution is to call your ISP, and simply tell them your problem, and tell them to give you some more ports.

My ISP had me limited to only a few ports a few months back. I don't recall the exact number, but it was double digits. After about 15 to 20 seconds of entering or starting a party chat on Xbox, it would kick me out and give me an error code. After scouring the massive code list on MS website, searching google, and digging around on reddit. My error code was nowhere to be found. Called MS. Apparently none of their customer service or techs could find the error code either. Suspecting it might be a port limit, I called my ISP, and had him give me access to all the ports so long as I promised him I wasn't running a server farm in my basement. Voila! Problem fixed.

PaintTinJr

Just tried both MTU adjustment to 1450, and tried wireless G, no change.
Well, that's another thing eliminated, at least.

To rule out your ISP, have you got a smartphone with 4G/5G data connection you can temporarily setup as a wireless hotspot to try without using your fibre broadband?

If you get it to work over a smartphone hotspot, then you can probably rule out PS5 hardware config issue, PSN account privacy setting issue - which are quite different on PS4 and PS5 iirc from day 1 signing into my PS5 - and then be pretty sure it is either an ISP config issue, or a problem in your router config - which you might have replicated across both routers, if a creature of habit like some of us - or a problem with the WAN cable - length/environmental - going under your house that connects to your router's dedicated WAN port.

Three

Quick question. How did you test your friends PS5? Are you sure it was looking for the correct PS5? It only looks for your registered console and it has to be set as your "home console" if I remember correctly.

wvnative

This has got to be either something on Sony's end, perhaps related to your account, or your ISP. Sony is doing some sort of address/permissions lookup when you attempt to join, and perhaps something is wonky on their end. I think this is unlikely, and you could probably rule that out if you used your friends account when you borrowed his PS5.

I think more likely it's your ISP doing something silly. I've only used share play a handful of times, and never on my PS5, but you said they changed the behavior between share play and share screen? Perhaps the share play data is being encapsulated differently and your ISP is handling this differently because of it.

You could probably prove this theory if you're willing to figure out how to tunnel your network over a vpn. Maybe the ps5 has a vpn setting in the network settings, otherwise you'd have to get creative or drop some money on a nice router. I think this would get your traffic through whatever rules your ISP may be running on your traffic.

Other than that, I think you're at the mercy of your ISP and trying to get ahold of a competent support person.

I'd be willing to try a VPN but I have never set one up so I don't really know how...

It's fairly common for ISP's to block specific ports if someone in your area previously called looking for help accessing that same port. If Bob gets a PS5 and can't get the party chat to work, or has certain features work but not others, he might call his ISP for help. The tech at his ISP will often first check to see if Bob is getting the proper ports he needs. Depending on how the infrastructure is setup, the tech will make sure Bob has access to all the ports he needs. In order to reduce traffic congestion, or contamination from other users nearby. The tech will often close some or all of those ports to Bob's neighbors who might be interfering if the neighborhood all feeds into the same PON or hub. Bob's problem eventually gets fixed on way or another, and since the vast majority of people don't need specific ports open, the Tech simply leaves them locked to the neighborhood just to make sure Bob always had access. What chance is it that any of Bob's neighbors will ever need that specific port open anyway. You might be Bob's neighbor.

Another scenario that basically happens everywhere is ISP's spending as little money as absolutely possible on hardware. Despite what the advertising says, fiber internet often isn't straight fiber all the way through. Probably around half the people here on Gaf who have fiber internet, have fiber that uses a wireless backhaul. That means that if you followed the fiber out of your house, it might lead to a nearby pole. From there you and your neighbors fiber might travel to a transmitter. The transmitter might be the street over, or a few blocks. Everyone's fiber and thus their signal would go to that transmitter where it would beam the signal over to the closest tower or pole where a reciever is located. The reciever would be located to the nearest access point to the overall fiber network installed by one of the big boys. That saves the ISP time and money so that they don't have to bury cable all the way across town. Wireless backhaul has the potential to be overrun though. If you have fiber, and still notice that your internet speeds slow significantly during primetime, and weekends, then you almost certainly are on a wireless backhaul. To prevent congestion, or to prevent any one user from hogging all the bandwidth. ISP's will often give each home a certain number of ports to use. Even if they don't lock you out of the port you need, or any port for that matter. The ports that your devices and routers routinely use may have reached the max number of ports available. So when your PS5 tries to use a specific one needed for share play, it wont work.

After all that wall of text. The easy and simple solution is to call your ISP, and simply tell them your problem, and tell them to give you some more ports.

My ISP had me limited to only a few ports a few months back. I don't recall the exact number, but it was double digits. After about 15 to 20 seconds of entering or starting a party chat on Xbox, it would kick me out and give me an error code. After scouring the massive code list on MS website, searching google, and digging around on reddit. My error code was nowhere to be found. Called MS. Apparently none of their customer service or techs could find the error code either. Suspecting it might be a port limit, I called my ISP, and had him give me access to all the ports so long as I promised him I wasn't running a server farm in my basement. Voila! Problem fixed.
Well, that's another thing eliminated, at least.

To rule out your ISP, have you got a smartphone with 4G/5G data connection you can temporarily setup as a wireless hotspot to try without using your fibre broadband?

If you get it to work over a smartphone hotspot, then you can probably rule out PS5 hardware config issue, PSN account privacy setting issue - which are quite different on PS4 and PS5 iirc from day 1 signing into my PS5 - and then be pretty sure it is either an ISP config issue, or a problem in your router config - which you might have replicated across both routers, if a creature of habit like some of us - or a problem with the WAN cable - length/environmental - going under your house that connects to your router's dedicated WAN port.

I left one detail out that maybe I shouldn't have, I live on the North Carolina/Virginia state line in an EXTREMELY rural community filled with nothing but rednecks, and a local isp that serves the surrounding counties.

S Shelookdlvl18 , given where I live, I highly, HIGHLY doubt I have a Bob in your example, but your wireless backhaul explanation might be the case although I never notice congestion, don't think there's many people using enough bandwidth in my neighborhood though to reach that level.

PaintTinJr PaintTinJr Great idea but sadly I don't get anything resembling a good signal at my house, a hotspot won't work.

Appreciate everyone's insight, might look into the VPN thing, try contacting my isp at some point (i'm putting this off because I have a feeling that will be an unpleasent CS experience) and while it may take a few weeks, wait for a day when my family is gone from the house and maybe try to redneck a way to get the main ethernet line to my PS5. I still live at home due to the extreme challenges presented by my medical condition, and my mom works from home, so during the week I gotta be very selective about how I mess with networking stuff, and ensure on the weekends I don't screw something up.

elco

I'd be willing to try a VPN but I have never set one up so I don't really know how...

I left one detail out that maybe I shouldn't have, I live on the North Carolina/Virginia state line in an EXTREMELY rural community filled with nothing but rednecks, and a local isp that serves the surrounding counties.

S Shelookdlvl18 , given where I live, I highly, HIGHLY doubt I have a Bob in your example, but your wireless backhaul explanation might be the case although I never notice congestion, don't think there's many people using enough bandwidth in my neighborhood though to reach that level.

PaintTinJr PaintTinJr Great idea but sadly I don't get anything resembling a good signal at my house, a hotspot won't work.

Appreciate everyone's insight, might look into the VPN thing, try contacting my isp at some point (i'm putting this off because I have a feeling that will be an unpleasent CS experience) and while it may take a few weeks, wait for a day when my family is gone from the house and maybe try to redneck a way to get the main ethernet line to my PS5. I still live at home due to the extreme challenges presented by my medical condition, and my mom works from home, so during the week I gotta be very selective about how I mess with networking stuff, and ensure on the weekends I don't screw something up.
Regarding the vpn thing, the easiest way I can think to implement that would be finding a reputable vpn service, one that has a phone app that will allow you to tether the vpn to other local devices. Logically your connection would ultimately look like:

PS5 -> Phone access point/phone VPN -> remote vpn endpoint -> remote Sony service

The two unknowns I see are, which vpn services offer the app (I'm sure it exists), and will your phone/the app let you tether over a wifi connection (my pixel 2 natively only tethers data connect afaik).

Good luck w it homie.

Last edited:

wvnative

Regarding the vpn thing, the easiest way I can think to implement that would be finding a reputable vpn service, one that has a phone app that will allow you to tether the vpn to other local devices. Logically your connection would ultimately look like:

PS5 -> Phone access point/phone VPN -> remote vpn endpoint -> remote Sony service

The two unknowns I see are, which vpn services offer the app (I'm sure it exists), and will your phone/the app let you tether over a wifi connection (my pixel 2 natively only tethers data connect afaik).

Good luck w it homie.

So like use the phone as a kind of hotspot? Does that still go through my router? Sorry, I'm fairly tech-competent but don't know anything about VPNs

Man this share play thing is turning into the greatest final boss I ever fought.

elco

So like use the phone as a kind of hotspot? Does that still go through my router? Sorry, I'm fairly tech-competent but don't know anything about VPNs

Man this share play thing is turning into the greatest final boss I ever fought.
A vpn basically creates an encrypted tunnel between two points. In your case these points would be between your phone and the VPN services endpoint. Typically you do this for security reasons as the encryption prevents anyone from reading the data sent over the tunnel. In your case this would be to get your traffic through the tunnel, preventing your ISP from taking action on packets that should be destined for the sony share play service. The idea was to rule in/out your ISP as the culprit.

Seeing as your situation somewhat requires stealth and precision as far as adjustments go. Here's what I would try.

You can google how port forwarding is done on your router. Make an hour of it, read all the results with a title that seems comparable. Watch several of the YouTube videos it suggests. After awhile the rubbish info will fade, and the relevant info will begin to become more clear. Google what all ports need forwarded for the PS5.

After you've done that go have another look at your routers settings. Little things like making sure you disabled Upnp prior to forwarding ports will make you give up technology altogether. Make sure you've got all the right port numbers in the right boxes. Make sure the correct static IP address is set to your PS5.

Looking back through your comments, there's definitely some additional things that you might not have considered. Am I correct in believing the 3 following things?
1. You have $5-10.
2. Your connection enters your house with an ethernet cable that comes up through the floor?
3. Your PS5 is wired directly into your router?

If those 3 things are true, there's an incredibly simple path to bypassing your router, and thus giving you a far better indication of if your problem is with your router or your ISP.

Go to Best Buy. If that's not doable, go on Amazon, if that's a no go, go to Home Depot. If none of these are an option, go find the nearest isp company, tech whatever. Pay the $5 bucks for a double female ethernet connector. Tell your parents that some there's some lost looking dude from the Publisher's Clearing House out by the mailbox holding a ridiculously oversized check. Once they clear the porch in a full sprint, take your newly acquired ethernet connector, unplug both the wire going into your router from the PS5 as well as the one coming up from the floor. Connect them together with the connector, and go see what the results are on the PS5. Don't worry, you've got plenty of time. Your parents will still be desperately searching for the Clearing House fella. Even if they've figured out your distraction, they'll be so out of breath that time is still on your side.

If it works, it's the router, if it still doesn't work, it's your ISP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom