• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there gaming equivalents to the ‚One-Hit-Wonders‘ from the music industry?

Nintendo with Donkey Kong, it's been all downhill from there!
donkey kong nintendo GIF

I'd go with Elite Beat Agents by iNiS. You could argue for either definition here - in the North America Region there were no other releases in the franchise and it was a pretty amazing game that could have sustained sequels. Going by company output iNiS does not appear to have any games close to EBA in quality. I really wish they'd localize the sequel, I loved that game.
cVX0Cse.jpg

Last edited:

coffinbirth

yeah whoever published True Crime went under. Square Enix bought the Developers and the rights to the game, but not the rights to the IP True Crime
This is half true... True Crime 1&2 were published by Activision.
Tigon Studios: Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay.

They made a middling sequel and a bad racing game called Wheelman, but the first Riddick was special.
Riddick and it's sequel were developed by Starbreeze. Tigon Studios isn't anything more than Vin Diesels vanity producer credit "studio".

S0ULZB0URNE

ActRaiser (1990)

dc62yt0-011ab52a-27ef-4176-941f-a88f8574a7dd.gif

First of all the sequel sold about 1/3rd of what the first game sold.

6a76dde2f4bfdde0604d18a15e871219.gif

Feel like most people don't even know they made an ActRaiser 2. The game is entirely missing the God Mode part of the first game, which was one of the really cool standout parts that made it unique.

(BTW just posting these animated gifs is making me want to replay both ;-)
I like both

I like both
That's cool me too. Thread is not "what game do you like". It is "what game is a one hit wonder".

The second game sold 1/3rd of the first. They made ZERO entries afterwards. That's kind of the definitive One Hit Wonder.
Nintendo with Donkey Kong, it's been all downhill from there!
donkey kong nintendo GIF
Yeah, a shame they never made a successful hit game with Donkey Kong again /s

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

That's cool me too. Thread is not "what game do you like". It is "what game is a one hit wonder".

The second game sold 1/3rd of the first. They made ZERO entries afterwards. That's kind of the definitive One Hit Wonder.

Yeah, a shame they never made a successful hit game with Donkey Kong again /s
It had a sequel though.
Series is a one hit wonder like Legendary Axe I suppose?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Advent Rising. It was meant to be a trilogy and the first one was not well received and nothing else came after.

Romulus

Source? The links you provided, lol. It says key people "Vin Diesel" haha. It's parent company is Vin Diesels movie production studio.

Exactly, it clearly says they were developers. They can work under Madonna and still be developers. The actor or studio parent co has nothing to do with their skill sets.

coffinbirth

Exactly, it clearly says they were developers. They can work under Madonna and still be developers. The actor or studio parent co has nothing to do with their skill sets.
Again, they are a PRODUCTION STUDIO...not a DEVELOPMENT STUDIO on these titles. They came up with the concept of the game(s) and contracted it out to Starbreeze. If, by that metric, you think they are a dev studio because they call themselves that, I don't know what to tell you.

Romulus

Again, they are a PRODUCTION STUDIO...not a DEVELOPMENT STUDIO on these titles. They came up with the concept of the game(s) and contracted it out to Starbreeze. If, by that metric, you think they are a dev studio because they call themselves that, I don't know what to tell you.

The fact is you dont know their specific involvement with the project. They could have used an engine starbreeze designed. They're listed as a game development studio and you have no idea how much of art or code they contributed.

coffinbirth

The fact is you dont know their specific involvement with the project. They could have used an engine starbreeze designed. They're listed as a game development studio and you have no idea how much of art or code they contributed.
They contributed ZERO code because they are a production studio, ffs. Full stop.
Ignoring further replies.

coffinbirth

I can post anything from a link but you're still not communicating anything. Doesn't take away or add anything. What are you even communicating?
Can you read? Literally ALL(save for the publisher) of those credits are Starbreeze staff. It's not complicated.

Romulus

Can you read? Literally ALL(save for the publisher) of those credits are Starbreeze staff. It's not complicated.

Yup.

Tigon Studios is a video game company founded by Vin Diesel in 2002. It is most well known for its games based on the Riddick character (Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay Tigon also made Wheelman, a driving based game with shooting elements that involves stunts similar to those in action movies. Vin Diesel has played a character in all Tigon games.

And even then if we just pretend all they did was "production" which's still a vital part of the video game development process. Again, right on their wiki it's listed as Tigon Video game developer with credits for Riddick. Guess that's fake. I'll show you how ignore works now. It's an actual button. :)

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Yup.

And even then if we just pretend all they did was "production" which's still a vital part of the video game development process. Again, right on their wiki it's listed as Tigon Video game developer with credits for Riddick. Guess that's fake. I'll show you how ignore works now. It's an actual button. :)
Brick walls sure are dense, lol.
They didn't produce this game.
They produce opportunities for Vin Diesel to act in games...such as this one.
Again, it's not complicated.

Yoboman

Riddick is the big one

A no name dev with a C-tier licensed property came out and was swinging it with the big guns like Halo 2 and Half Life2. Riddick may have been the best FPS that year

Then after that... nothing

Also Crytek. They did have Far Cry and Crysis but have completely failed after they really broke out with Crysis

Oh and Tomonobu Itagaki. He was established for years but was really just a meme, known for his tits on dolls fighter which was well below Tekken and Virtua Fighter. Ninja Gaiden felt like the game he finally became a top tier dev but everything since has been a joke

I’d also mention Media Molecule. They still make critical darlings but their LBP success was just lightning in a bottle. Unique creativity and charm during a time where Sony was being hammered over PS3 and pessimism was at all time highs, I don’t think LBP would have been a hit if not for being that ray of sunlight for Sony when everything else was struggling

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Riddick is the big one

A no name dev with a C-tier licensed property came out and was swinging it with the big guns like Halo 2 and Half Life2. Riddick may have been the best FPS that year

Then after that... nothing

Also Crytek. They did have Far Cry and Crysis but have completely failed after they really broke out with Crysis
Again, Riddick was Starbreeze, and they subsequently made Payday 2, a MUCH more successful game, and The Darkness, an arguably better game that also sold a lot more copies.

Ten_Fold

Dead rising, the first game was cool, but the sequels just felt meh.

Bad company 2, anything after just wasn’t the same.

Pokémon gold, silver, crystal, I just felt this was peak Pokémon, like man 2 regions? Was pretty cool.

MW2, peak COD, everything after just was meh.

Yoboman

Again, Riddick was Starbreeze, and they subsequently made Payday 2, a MUCH more successful game, and The Darkness, an arguably better game that also sold a lot more copies.
Riddick has a 90 Metacritic, Payday 2 is a 75. That’s a big fall off critically

coffinbirth

Riddick has a 90 Metacritic, Payday 2 is a 75. That’s a big fall off critically
It was commercially much more successful, as I stated.
The Darkness, while not a Metacritic darling, is in my eyes, a far better game. It also sold quite well.
They also made the Syndicate reboot, which did not review so well, but I quite enjoyed it.
To say that "nothing" was produced by Starbreeze after Riddick is simply not true is all I'm saying.

kuncol02

Banned
Yup producer and executive producer on a project is incredible vital. Didn't realize Tigon was that important.
Executive producer is basically honorary title and judging by Cos Lazouras other games he was responsible for license related stuff (mostly legal one)
Starbreeze had it's own producer, game designers, art directors. They are even responsible for game concept. Only thing tigon people were responsible is making sure that Starbreeze is not making something they were not allowed too in license.

coffinbirth

Yup producer and executive producer on a project is incredible vital. Didn't realize Tigon was that important.
Executive producer is basically honorary title and judging by Cos Lazouras other games he was responsible for license related stuff (mostly legal one)
Starbreeze had it's own producer, game designers, art directors. They are even responsible for game concept. Only thing tigon people were responsible is making sure that Starbreeze is not making something they were not allowed too in license.
This makes it abundantly clear who made this game, haha,

fart town usa

Gold Member
Bloody Roar maybe? But that's based on my friend, and I trust his opinion for stuff like that.

He loves the first, raved about it in middle school and to this day. The 2nd one he says was a nowhere near as good. (just googled it and realized that there's more sequels than just the 2nd one)

I'm sure someone on here can comment further.

Last edited:

Pol Pot

Banned
Nah, disagreed. UmJammer shits over the 1st Parappa from a great height. It's got more content, more challenging songs, a better variety of songs and IMO better songs plus cooler stages and better button input recognition.

It's the best game in the franchise and the most slept on simply because Parappa's name isn't in the title.

Anyway, my pick for an obvious one-hit-wonder would be Bubsy. First game was a commercial success in spite of being garbage, and it never repeated anything close to that success afterwards.
Yeah, disagree. I respect the case you're making. Didn't feel it though.

I really wanted to like Um Jammer Lammy as well.

KRYPT83

ActRaiser (1990)

dc62yt0-011ab52a-27ef-4176-941f-a88f8574a7dd.gif

First of all the sequel sold about 1/3rd of what the first game sold.

6a76dde2f4bfdde0604d18a15e871219.gif

Feel like most people don't even know they made an ActRaiser 2. The game is entirely missing the God Mode part of the first game, which was one of the really cool standout parts that made it unique.

(BTW just posting these animated gifs is making me want to replay both ;-)
Child hood memories right here baby what a great game! What about Rygar!

Top Bottom