• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we ever going to get another Jet Set Radio?

Karmic Raze

I loved Jet Set/Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future so much, and I always wanted a third game in the franchise, but here we are 19 years after JSRF’s release and... Nothing. I remember seeing a poll from Sega a year or two ago asking which franchise fans wanted to see brought back the most and Jet Set Radio won that poll, but nothing came of it. I’d take a Switch only game. I don’t care. I just want something. I am tired of waiting. We got Shenmue III. Sega, give us Jet Set Radio 3 already. Are there any other die-hard fans of the series that want to see it brought back as much as me? I can’t be alone in this feeling. I mean, I know Smilebit is dead now, but something could be done to make a third game, I’m sure.

Miles708

A just a bit polished HD remaster would go a long way, Jet Set Radio Future was stunning already on Xbox, especially on the night levels.

The team responsible for JSR it's the yakuza team, but if I'm not mistaken they've said in some interviews that they weren't that interested, because Jet Set Radio was an energetic platform game designed when everyone on the team was much younger.

There are some fan games coming out, but nothing will be like the real deal.

Also, 20 years
Xw1hwxy.png

lefty1117

Gold Member
skateboard culture seems to be making a comeback, perhaps a new game similar to JSRF but with skateboards ... ? ??

Life

Game looked fresh and seemed fun at the time, sure. But now? Gameplay mechanics would have to change A LOT if it's too keep anyone interested. Nostalgia sales only get you so far - and some games just don't age well at all.

Miles708

Game looked fresh and seemed fun at the time, sure. But now? Gameplay mechanics would have to change A LOT if it's too keep anyone interested. Nostalgia sales only get you so far - and some games just don't age well at all.

In the case of Jet Set Radio, i'd say this is 100% true for the Dreamcast chapter, but the Xbox chapter is more streamlined, fast and dynamic and I'd say it hasn't aged very much, if at all.

No

we are just a small vocal minority online, the game would bomb like hell sales wise
And where' the proof of this? If even crazier game concepts can find audiences, there's no reason a Jet Set Radio game can't. It'd have to come down to Sega's marketing tho, which has been hit-or-miss.

This is the closest we're going to get to one

Looks pretty cool, but seems more like a fighting game/WindJammers type of deal rather than the semi open-world graffiti-skating platforming action/adventure fare of JSR and certainly JSRF. So much of its similarity with those games is purely aesthetic.

And who gets to be the judge in what games have aged well or not? A lot of times, we have to admit that the average gamer is just lazy in learning unique game mechanics and controls systems, they want to have the illusion of being masters at a game without actually putting legitimate effort in it.

JSR and JSRF still have a pretty vibrant, dedicated fanbase who play it regularly. They would not need to change too much outside of maybe better camera controls and a bit further streamlining here and there. I'm generally against the idea of games "aging well" or not outside of hyper-realism style of games or sports games, or IPs that get annual updates.

Jet Set IP does not fit any of those descriptors.

And where' the proof of this? If even crazier game concepts can find audiences, there's no reason a Jet Set Radio game can't. It'd have to come down to Sega's marketing tho, which has been hit-or-miss.
I mean sure, if it is a 10-15$ title released on all platforms it would do well, but a full priced jet set title will never sell in this day and age

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

Hot take. Looked great, sounded great but I never enjoyed playing it all that much. It’s not high on my list of Sega wants.

Miles708

Hot take. Looked great, sounded great but I never enjoyed playing it all that much. It’s not high on my list of Sega wants.
Genuine question: are you referring to the first one on Dreamcast or Jet Set Radio Future?
I can agree the first one is painful, slower and clunkier. But Jet Set Radio Future is a blast.

Tried getting back into the first one recently. It is clunky and awkward, worse than most games of the era, the camera is like it came from someones first bedroom coded 3d game.

Jsrf came with my xbox but I was put off by them dumbing down the tagging (which felt great on dc with that analogue). Never got far in it. Completed the first at the time.

It's a great concept and could do well if slick and polished.

But the music and gfx alone won't elevate the shortcomings anymore. If they did it again they should also bring back the manual tagging.

Miles708

I feel the tagging in JSRF is just more satisfying than the awkward combos of the first one, mainly because it lets you do graffiti without stopping your running or grinding. But I've played JSRF first, so that's what maybe skewed my judgement

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I'm still waiting for the Ollie King port that will never happen
I won't be that certain.

Motor Raid came from nowhere in the Club Sega (Judgment) since the sound director worked on both games...

Sega could do the same for another important member of the RGG Studio, Yokoyama (script writer for most Yakuza games).

Yokoyama.jpg

He was the director of Ollie Kings...

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I want a 3rd game but at this point I’ll be happy if they release jet set radio future on Steam like they did the first game.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I absolutely loved JSR on the Dreamcast and would almost kill for a third game. But I don't think it'll ever happen unless they did a Kickstarter. Sega won't fund it anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe? It's Sega...predicting what they will do with their franchises is impossible. Way more likely they will trot out ANOTHER Genesis collection than make a new game in an awesome franchise that's been dormant forever

That's unfair and SEGA shows when it puts its heart into a sequel to it's IP it can make great sequels or updates to its IP like with PSO 2, Valkyria IV

SEGA gave JSR another chance with an amazing sequel and it sold poor great despite being an early title and getting rave reviews. Its not like the HD updated version of JSR sold well either
There is no market for that style of game. The best one could hope for, is a remaster of JSRF sadly

Karmic Raze

I think there’s a market for another JSR game. It just has to be done right. Most people nowadays haven’t even played the first two titles, so I think it would appeal to a whole new generation of gamers. If we can’t get another JSR then a JSRF remaster with maybe some added content would be freaking awesome. JSRF was one of my favorite games of all-time and it’s a shame you can’t play it on Xbox BC due to the music licensing issues.

Also, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk looks a lot better than I first thought. It’s kinda weird they are grinding without skates, but I can’t be picky. I will definitely buy that game when it comes out. I unfortunately saw that it was delayed to 2022, but if that means it’ll be more polished and robust I am all for it!

Edit: Can you play the original disc version of JSRF on the Xbox Series X? I was thinking about picking up a copy on eBay if so.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was crazy about those games when I was a kid...before I played them.

Absolutely infatuated with the artstyle + music but the gameplay was pretty meh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom