• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we finally getting an achievement system on the Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveovig

Without this thread devolving into a discussion about whether achievements suck or not, don't you think it's finally time for Nintendo to embrace this sort of feature? I'm not obsessed with them, like I was in the beginning, but I do enjoy the little meta-goals and I do enjoy seeing other people's accomplishments. Sony, Microsoft, and Steam have all implemented systems for universal system-wide achievements, among other gaming services. IMO, if there is no such system on the Switch, then it would certainly make any multi-plat games inferior on the Switch.

I know that this kind of feature isn't a deal breaker for many people but I would like to start the discussion on the idea of Nintendo doing this anyways. For achievement fans, they can be very fun and even add good replay value to some games.

Dystify

Iirc it was a Nintendo rep who said there's no system wide achievement system. But hopefully they'll do something with MyNintendo or so.

ChrisD

I don't expect them to, but I would like there to be a system connected to My Nintendo. Give Platinum Coins, idc that they're technically worthless. It'd still be a neat little reward.

Kathian

Banned
Nope. Achievements are more or less dead now though? No?

I've never gotten the obsession and generally find them spammy as fuck.

Kathian

Banned
I don't expect them to, but I would like there to be a system connected to My Nintendo. Give Platinum Coins, idc that they're technically worthless. It'd still be a neat little reward.

I'd like some sort of system wide standardised comparisons. Pikmin 3s comparison data was brilliant and done in a neat way.

That's not going to happen though - but it would be cool if each title had something like that.

Nintendo already had a better solution with Miiverse stamps, but since they're apparently getting rid of Miiverse it looks like that goes away too.

Laffer

I know achievements would bring a new life to old VC games, at least for me.

I do believe they will appear in some form, related to MyNintendo.

Timeaisis

I don't care about achievements, but I hope we get something we can use "outside" of the game. Like stamps. But since no miiverse...who knows.

steveovig

Nintendo already had a better solution with Miiverse stamps, but since they're apparently getting rid of Miiverse it looks like that goes away too.

Yea, they were nice and fun. Maybe they could have tied the Stamps to an achievement system or something, if only Miiverse was continuing. Also, I never liked how they were never too consistent with which games would have Stamps.

I'd say that we'd know by now if they were doing it, but they've said barely anything about the online service, so I'm guessing we get a direct at some point outlining stuff.

The best thing they could do would be to tie it to the missions they have for my nintendo rewards. That would get people genuinely interested.

meerak

I hope not, at least not in the same way it's implemented on XB1 / PS4 / Steam.

Hoping Nintendo has some new idea about this, maybe something more general and cross-game even.

U2NUMB

I sure wish they would have some sort of universal system. I enjoy chasing them when made well. Bummer if Nintendo yet again misses this boat in my opinion.

Hydrus

We're not even getting something as simple as proper Voice chat on it, and you think Nintendo would have an achievement system? Hahahaha

Maxinas

I hope we get MyNintendo tied achievements, those are actually useful

This would be useful, as long as they offered better rewards for redemption, what we have now is a shell of what once was club nintendo. There really is no point to PS/Xbox achievements, doubt anyone cares about your platinum trophies.

eagledare

Miiverse stamps are garbage. No cheebos/trophies is seriously a deal breaker. No matter how much Nintendo fanboys want to pretend people don't want these they've become a staple of modern gaming.

Would be a neat twist on the old Club Nintendo by actually having to use the software to get the reward points. Though games probably come with a piece of paper for the gold coins.

mocoworm

Nope. Achievements are more or less dead now though? No?

I've never gotten the obsession and generally find them spammy as fuck.

In answer to your first question, you were right. No.

If you don't like them then turn off achievement notifications and you will never be 'spammed' by them again.

I would love to see a universal achievement system implemented by Nintendo.

The fact that Nintendo don't support something that every other console has had for literally a decade at this point is as sad as it is unsurprising.

Heck, their games like Smash have to work their own custom system in.

Coda

I'm honestly fine with it because I still think achievements/trophies aren't that big of a feature. I'd rather have achievements that end up unlocking things within the game itself than a system wide achievement system which basically amounts to nothing but bragging points.

I'm honestly fine with it because I still think achievements/trophies aren't that big of a feature. I'd rather have achievements that end up unlocking things within the game itself than a system wide achievement system which basically amounts to nothing but bragging points.

Or fun little ways of the developers saying "hey, you found this thing!"

If you don't like achievements switch them off. But for most of us they add fun to games. There's a reason literally every other gaming platform has them.

True Fire

Nintendo isn't changing anything this generation. We need to stop pretending that the Switch will be a 180 for the company.

Or fun little ways of the developers saying "hey, you found this thing!"

If you don't like achievements switch them off. But for most of us they add fun to games. There's a reason literally every other gaming platform has them.

But for that you don't need a system wide achievement system?

A few WiiU games had their own achievements (some even posted to Miiverse) If it's just for that "look what I got moment", individual implementations should be just as fun no?

Just post a screenshot to Twitter?

I hope so, I think Zelda, being such a physics based sandbox, could have super cool weird achievements like reaching the highest point in the map, snowboarding a huge length without falling, that kind of thing.

Hazu

Nintendo games are the only games I would actually enjoy getting achievements. It's a shame they don't have such a system yet. :(

Instead of getting boring points/trophies, I would love them to award Nintendo characters statues that you could display in some virtual hall tied to your Nintendo account. Or something like that.

Or just make us win coins to buy trophies just like in Smash Bros, but with even more characters.

super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-trophy-shop.jpg

Hydrus

Nintendo games are the only games I would actually enjoy getting achievements. It's a shame they don't have such a system yet. :(

Instead of getting boring points/trophies, I would love them to award Nintendo characters statues that you could display in some virtual hall tied to your Nintendo account. Or something like that.

This would be awesome!

SRTtoZ

Another ball dropped by Nintendo. I would kill for a trophy/achiev system for Nintendo thats system wide, not game wide uplay BS.

Jubenhimer

Considering how they want My Nintendo to tie in with the Switch, It's safe to assume that My Nintendo Missions will be the Switch's achievement system.

Coffinhal

No they don't need to copy one of the worst feature ever invented.

Or just make us win coins to buy trophies just like in Smash Bros, but with even more characters.

super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-trophy-shop.jpg

They could make something interesting with them but it requires too much time and ressources to make it valuable so no, they should rather focus on actual gameplay ideas and let achievements slowly die.

I like achievements because you can look back on games you have not played in a while and see how far you got, they also sometimes make you try new gameplay methods if well implemented. I don't think there has to be a general scoring or level system attached though like with playstation and xbox. It would be good if nintendo added this but I am not going to hold my breath.

Hazu

No they don't need to copy one of the worst feature ever invented.

Because you don't like it doesn't mean it's one of the worst feature ever invented.

I agree, most achievements are dumb/not fun to get, but some games achievements have pretty cool ones to get.

In a game like World of Warcraft, especially for raids and dungeons, there are many achievements that make you defeat encounters in ways you wouldn't otherwise. It feels sometimes like some kind of "hard mode", and you can get some pretty cool rewards by doing them.

rpmurphy

Love the achievements for purchasing games.
It's unified. For the Mario Run mobile game, they have game-related achievements like:
Play Toad Rally (once every 24 hours)
Win 3 times at Toad Rally (once every week)
Clear World 1
Clear World 2
Clear World 6

So other games can certainly fit into this model. What it lacks here though is the kind of aggregation and "gamer level" that people enjoy with trophies and achievements, and who knows if Nintendo will care enough about it to that extent. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom