• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we gearing up for a 3rd wave Ska revival?

Or would that be a 4th wave? Anyhow, I got in my car the other day, started changing radio stations, and heard this on an alternative station:

First thought: hey, this isn't bad. Second thought: holy shit, this is ska! And then I heard it again today, so I'm thinking it might be popular. Apparently, it hit #4 on the billboard alternative chart.

WHAT YEAR IS IT!!!11!!1!?

Remember when people use to type 1's in with their exclamation points? That was a thing once. It think it was around the last time ska was popular.

Now we just need a new Tony Hawk game that's actually good.

Last edited:
Saw The Interrupters live last month. Tim from Rancid produces their stuff, and they're being pushed HARD. I'm not a big fan though, their songs are too simple, they're pretty much an oi band in ska clothing. Skapunk has matured so much through bands like The Chinkees and even DHC, I wish they showed any signs of that.

If they really break big though, who knows what will happen. It's not like the 90's where you can push smaller bands in the popular style and sell records, so I wonder if skapunk would come back at all.

Last edited:

Jae Mara

Digging it, love me some ska! Just in case you forgot how to dance to this kind of music here is this timeless guide.

John Day

I love me Ska! In Puerto Rico we had Skapulario and many other bands but the genre died out years ago.

I personally got my fix with Argentina’s La Mosca Tse Tse, what was left of Fabulosos Cadillacs and Japan’s Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
God, I hope not. One of the worst genres of music ever invented. Well, the Americanised version of it, anyway.

Chicagavocado

Neo Member
God, I hope not. One of the worst genres of music ever invented. Well, the Americanised version of it, anyway.

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ska is cool. i've gone back and listened to Sublime's 40oz to Freedom and it holds up. despite how easily everyone clowns on them, they really knew how to play, and Brad could write some decent songs. to this day, "Badfish" is still a cool tune.

edit: the OP featured band is cool but we need a new No Doubt. Gwen Stefani in the 90s was killing it.

Last edited:
“Ska sucks

Ska revival isn't cool you stupid fuck
The bands are only in it for the bucks
And if you don't believe me you're a schmuck
But the trend will die out with any luck”

brap

Banned
“Ska sucks

Ska revival isn't cool you stupid fuck
The bands are only in it for the bucks
And if you don't believe me you're a schmuck
But the trend will die out with any luck”
>when one of the cringiest punk bands makes a song like this

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Guitarist on the left looks like a young Brad Shoemaker :)

Thanks for posting some Reel Big Fish LegendOfKage LegendOfKage . I go and see them pretty much every time they come through Denver which is about once a year! It's always a good time!

Ecto311

Just for you!

I was just playing this shit for my kid the other day. She is all into pop and wasn't a fan.

I remember chicks going nuts for mmb and rbf in high school. The biggest kick in the nuts is when I was in 8th grade I did well with the recorder so the band leader wanted me to play trumpet and I said fuck that I wanna do drums. He turned that down and I never learned trumpet and sure as shit trumpet gets huge in bands and here I am with the potential according to them to be decent at it and maybe get chicks.

But it still stands that video in the OP isn't ska it's just boring. When there's a dude dancing around for no reason and horns in the song then we are cooking with p-nut oil.

Top Bottom