• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you addicted to gaming?

How many hours a day do you usually play.

Votes: 57 27.5%

Votes: 69 33.3%

Votes: 32 15.5%

Votes: 13 6.3%

Votes: 14 6.8%

Votes: 6 2.9%

Votes: 3 1.4%

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
No, it's a hobby, just like my other hobbies. Hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, the hobby farm the wife and I keep. Just stuff we enjoy,.

I asked my Switch, OLED Switch, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Series X, PS5, Quest, Quest 2, PSVR, PSVR2, and Steam Deck this morning if I was addicted to gaming. They all said no.
I mean, spending money on it doesn't make it an addiction. If that were the case I'd be addicted to fishing and hunting. I just bought a 400$ reel for saltwater fishing to add to my other 400+$ saltwater reels, doesn't mean im addicted to fishing. They are just hobbies, and hobbies cost money.

*Looks over at his huge pile of Warhammer shame*

Addictions negatively impact your life, like my brother with pain killers (before he got sober). If gaming isn't negatively impacting your life, it's not an addiction.

Now, if you were skipping rent and food and ignoring loved ones for gaming, that is an addiction.

Last edited:
you still have Cable television? It's been over a decade since I cut that cord. I can't remember the last time I watched anything close to network tv.
Hell naw, I stream from time to time, but I was talking about the local antennae tv stations and shows that are on cbs, nbc, abc etc. like The Voice, The Bachelor, The Cleaning Lady and other shit shows not fit for watching. That's like three hours per night that some people spend their time watching.

It's weird how some think watching three hours of tv per night is fine, but playing games three hours per night is "an addiction" ? Sound pretty hypocritical to me...

Used to play 12 hours minimum, but, then, I got a job. Now it's like 6 hours, usually before work, then I catch a short 2 hour nap or so and hit the job.

Chiggs

Like people on GAF even play games. All they do is jerk themselves silly while discussing the latest DF video or the latest intrigue at the Court of ResetEra.

Havoc2049

I play about 1-3 hours on days that I work and anywhere from 1-8 hours on my days off, if I don't have any plans. I hardly ever watch TV.

Last edited:

Commanderson

Neo Member
I think a better showing of addiction isn’t hours played but what you’re willing to give up on or miss to play video games instead. Skip class? Miss a friends birthday? Going to work?

Those illustrate addiction more than just X hours played imo

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t say I’m addicted. My playtime has been going down for years, I don’t have the amount of time I used to anymore.

But I still manage to clock in maybe an hour a day on average which is pretty good.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I didn’t play on PS5 for a while now. Switch portability really spoiled me. It is the only way I can finish games now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Like people on GAF even play games. All they do is jerk themselves silly while discussing the latest DF video or the latest intrigue at the Court of ResetEra.
4615.jpg

Are you okay?

Fluo

At what point is one addicted anyway? More than 6 hours every day?
When it stands in the way of your responsibilities. When it hurts your life, social relationships and affects your physical well-being. I have a childhood friend like this, in his thirties, alone, no job, plays videogames all day long, lives on his grandmother's pension, I visited him once, his apartment is so sad it made me depressed for a week or two.

I can imagine a fulfilled person who chooses to play 6+ hours a day without being an addict.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Hardly,I've not gamed in nearly two years......somebody please make something to get me excited again,lol.
Can I ask you then why you are on a gaming forum? If I didn't play games, I don't think I would be here. Are you here for the nostalgia and only talk about games you have played?

Famipan

I’m addicted to read about video games.
I dont’t play everyday but when I do I can’t play less than 2hr.

flying_sq

2 is probably average, some days its 30 min, other days its longer or I don't play games at all. Really depends on mood and free time.

I wouldn't say I'm addicted. I just enjoy and love to play games. It's not like i can't not play or I have withdrawal symptoms if I don't play. That's what addiction is like. You can't stop even it you really want to.

Snorlaxbelly

Neo Member
Not at all, I can play here, and there, sometimes I can binge for hours. I don't need to play everyday, if anything I'm addicted to music.

kyussman

Can I ask you then why you are on a gaming forum? If I didn't play games, I don't think I would be here. Are you here for the nostalgia and only talk about games you have played?
I've gamed all my life,I'll be 50 this year.I only stopped when this gen launched because I couldn't get my hands on a next gen system.In the time since I've become a bit disillusioned with gaming and this gen has left me very underwhelmed.I still enjoy gaming as a media and the discussions around it and would like to play games again but nothing excites me right now.....I hope that changes sometime soon.I'm hoping Starfield will be something that gets me interested again.....fingers crossed.

I dont know if I am addicted, but it is a habit I began when I was 6 and continued to this day (33 now). I have a LOT of stuff to do and I get it done, and I like to play vidya in my downtime. I could be a much more productive person but I play vidyal That being said, it hasnt destroyed my life or anything - depending on how you look at it, I am quite successful tbh.

Nobody here is addicted to playing games, only an obsession with discussing and arguing about video games lol

Wow 3 hours of sleep is brutal. I sacrifice my sleep too but rarely go below 5 hours. Edit: or do you mean 3 hours of gaming per night?
He’s still young if he was playing Destiny in college. If they said Halo 3 then yeah getting to old for to little sleep lol.

Ce'Nedra

Neo Member
Used to play a lot as a teenager cause I had a lot of free time, now living with my girl i spend way less hours playing (probably 5h per week) when before I could spend days.

According to my wife, yes, but I only play like 1-3 hours day. Even then most of time I only play 3 days out of the week. And on weekends usually only on Sunday unless we’re snowed in.

I used to be addicted when I was in my teens. 40 hours a week at the least, but now I am in my thirties I can go for a week or two without playing at all. Not sure the reason, maybe I just don't find games as enjoyable as I once did. I am more addicted to thinking about playing games. I am constantly thinking of new hardware/games as if I am trying to rekindle the enjoyment I did once have. Not sure if other people are the same.

Weekdays - 1 - 2 hrs, mostly 2 or 3 days out the week, depends how I feel after work.

Weekends (preferably Saturday night) - 3 - 6 hrs easily.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
On average 1-2 hours a day. When a big release comes out that I’ve really been looking forward to it tends to go up to 3/4 hours a day until it’s finished.

StereoVsn

I only get about an hour a day, maybe 2 on the weekend. Between kids, work, spending time with friends/family, exercise, studying (tech work means this never stops) that doesn't leave much time for gaming.

Fredrik

He’s still young if he was playing Destiny in college. If they said Halo 3 then yeah getting to old for to little sleep lol.
I was playing Super Metroid at that age, but I feel like I need less sleep now, or maybe my brain has just given up and has gotten used to it. I usually sleep 5-7 hours. My beard became gray around 30 though and I got old man glasses a couple years later 😶

Tarnpanzer

I would play all day if I could. But I have to work 5 days a week and go to the gym 3-4 days a week. These two things are my priority but after them comes gaming.

MiguelItUp

For me it fluctuates. During the week, I usually play about an hour/an hour and a half in the morning before work. Sometimes after work for an hour/an hour an a half. Then sometimes in the evening before bed for about 2 to 2 and a half hours.

On the weekend it's probably more like 2-3 hours in the morning, and 2-3 hours in the evening.

Wouldn't say addicted per se, but a nice thing to do when winding down. Which has been the standard for me for several years now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom