• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you afraid to fly? (Get ITT!)

StormCell

I don't really like flying in an airplane.

I will drive a boat at over 75 mph without a seat belt or helmet.

Yet I don't like flying in an airplane. I don't have any control over the craft.

JimmyJones

Banned
Afraid of flying? Nope.

Afraid of barrelling down thousands of feet towards my inevitable death with hundreds of people around me crying and saying goodbye to their loved ones? Hell yes!

Hinedorf

Banned
I don't fear flying, I fear being stuck in a contained environment with potentially sick people you will be sharing the same air with. Only got sick one time following a plane flight but it was a total ass kicker that required a vacation after a vacation to recover from.

One time was on a surfing trip to Costa Rica where the plane landed midway in another country Guatemala (guess)......every fucking person brought the most amazing smelling cooked chicken onto the plane from wherever they were leaving that was torture to the nose.

I've never really been afraid of air travel, I took my first flight when I was 8 months old, and used to fly a ton as a kid (sometimes alone!), and yet.. that moment right before you land is always a butt puckerer for me, dunno why.

PSYGN

They should place a wall of fans on the other side to straighten the plane out. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Dural

After seeing how basically fail-proof it is for these crafts to land or take back off in the event of a bad landing, you should now no longer fear anything about flying.

You're welcome!

Bravo to these pilots, they must be used to these conditions. Pretty amazing was the airframe on these planes can endure, that Airbus A380 looked crazy.

mario kart ass runway

I was thinking the same thing, never seen a runway like this.

TUROK

I get a little nervous at times but nothing too crazy.

Being drunk on a plane is FUCKING AWESOME tho.

thief183

No... no ... no .. no no no no.....

I'll fly when I will be able to pilot it..... (Still I need to get flights every month.... it is always a pain, and don't tell me to get drunk, I need to check the eyes of the hostes every second to see if everything is ok...)

After seeing how basically fail-proof it is for these crafts to land or take back off in the event of a bad landing, you should now no longer fear anything about flying.

You're welcome!

If by failproof you mean extremely skilled pilots. I really hope you dont think this was on autopilot because even though for awhile we had autopilot landing as an options, they almost never use it because the tech is not as advanced but is good if its the type of weather where you literally cant see anything in front of you. Rejected landing and rejected take off are a thing but its all up to a pilot to pull that off. And they know when a storm or weather condition is so bad, its impossible to land, then they get diverted to another airport if they dont have enough fuel to be in the holding pattern for awhile.

YukiOnna

Surprisingly don't have a fear of flying despite being scared of roller coasters and such. Love being in the air and airports.

June

No. It's totally out of my control so if anything I feel relaxed on planes. Plus plane food has really improved this past decade.

I'm more scared airports and customs and getting held up over some bullshit.

I love airplanes and flying but the higher the flight and I look up as the sky is getting dark from high altitude, I start to panic and lose my wits. Told my brother to punch me if I have an anxiety attack again.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I don't think so. didn't freak out the only times I flew which was only a couple. more nervous on the highway. I actually would like to learn how to pilot an aircraft. it'd be a dream to fly one of those planes in the top gun maverick trailer they can go so fast

tenor.gif

bender

What time is it?
Nope. Nope. Nope!

Haven't flown in ages and this thread as reaffirmed my fears. Thanks!

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm the guy who laugh at people terrorized in the airplane.
I take 1-3 plane every year since i was 17.
The problem woth airplane for me is the lack of space for my long legs, fucking children screaming and playing and the fact that i don't get sleepy so if the flight is 10-12 hours long i'm beyond fucked...

But otherwise i'm afraid of heighs lol...

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wouldn't say i'm scared but i do feel nervous sometimes. pilots have insane skill and i feel safe but still it's a huge pressurised metal tube speeding at hundreds of mph thousands of feet above the ground. IF something goes wrong then gg.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I used to be when I was younger. I was terrified as a kid. Army broke me of that shit real quick. By the time I got in ranger training I was fearless of it to the point I fucked up and first time in ranger school we did a real jump I thought I was a badass and ran out the loading gate on the back end of a c130 at 30,000 feet and I was like a tissue being held in front of a fan and someone suddenly letting it go.

Never have been afraid of flying since though. When wife and I went to Vegas when we got married we flew through a nasty storm and it put me to sleep. She woke me up, for some reason me not also being scared with her made her angry.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
No, but I've never flown in a helicopter and I don't plan to. Being so close to moving rotors always makes me uncomfortable and I also know the statistics of how much more likely it is to be involved in a heli crash compared to a plane crash.

No I like flying in jets and helicopters. The only thing that bothers me is being cooped up in that germ infested almost sealed aircraft.. especially now.

appaws

Banned
Yes. Terrified. I last flew 5 years ago...when I got off the plane I had welts in the shape of my rosary deep in my palms...I was such a mess. I promised my wife I would never fly within North America again. I will just take a bunch of drugs when we go to Europe or Japan, which we are planning.

GAMETA

Banned
I hate flying because it's a 50-50 bet. You either come out alive or dead, every single flight.

"That's not how statistics work". Well, from my individual perspective it kinda is.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
It’s so stupid. You risk your life with no control

Why in the fuck do they not allow parachutes and maybe mini oxygen tanks for their customers? I’ll never trust a plane, built by highly qualified idiots is all

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’m not afraid of flying I’m afraid of heights. Once you get so high that you can no longer see the ground and the perspective of distance is lost, I don’t care.

And when I was a kid me and my friend both devised a plan that would save us from a plane crash anyway. We decided if we were ever in a plane, we’d climb out on top of the plane right before it hit the ground and dive off safely to the ground.

20 years later it still sounds completely 100% plausible and I’m gonna teach it to my kids one day.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I am absolutely afraid of heights and flying. even if statistically commercial flights are generally safe doesnt change how i view planes as a glorified soup can flying miles above the ground. The idea just makes my skin crawl. Because my fear is irrational, thats how phobias work. Its like asking why someone who’s afraid of spiders why are they afraid of some non-venomous teeny tiny bug (specifically speaking from minnesota where we have pretty much no venomous spiders/snakes) its just creepy to them and by nature it just causes us to be very uncomfortable.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Highly uncomfortable.

The problem for me is that you’re suspended in the air, at unfathomable, deadly heights, and you kind of have to trust that all the human beings in charge of building the airplane, maintaining it, piloting it, did their jobs right.

Based on a lifetime of observing stupidity, I don’t have that kind of faith in people.

Moreso now that companies have embraced hiring along virtue signaling lines, rather than merit, which is actually extremely concerning in situations like this.

YukiOnna

Highly uncomfortable.

The problem for me is that you’re suspended in the air, at unfathomable, deadly heights, and you kind of have to trust that all the human beings in charge of building the airplane, maintaining it, piloting it, did their jobs right.
I start thinking like this when I get in the plane, but then I remember just how unlikely it is of happening with how many flights are out throughout the daily.

Although, I'll have trouble trusting any new Boeing plane from now on, lol.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I start thinking like this when I get in the plane, but then I remember just how unlikely it is of happening with how many flights are out throughout the daily.

Although, I'll have trouble trusting any new Boeing plane from now on, lol.

True, but the part that gets me is that in most other aspects of life, I can control the situation to some extent. If you hit the lottery wrong in a plane... there isn’t a whole lot you can do.

rykomatsu

I hate flying...have a bit of an irrational fear. However, crosswinds aren't one of them - if you look at every video where a plane is crabbing, then correcting direction after touchdown, you realize that the runway is actually quite wide, and pilots usually correct in 1-2 seconds after touching down. With the direction most planes are facing after touching down, there's usually a good 8-10 seconds of time to correct before the landing gear runs off the side of the runway.

Downbursts near the runway (ie sudden downstream of air) scare the shit out of me since those things can legitimately bring an airline down...also, fires and smoke scare the shit out of me since those things can get out of control unbelievably fast.

Mossybrew

I fucking love flying though I have not had the opportunity in many years. Never had fear, man you're gonna die somehow, plane crash would be a pretty epic way to go.

Top Bottom