• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you legally and morally in the wrong for shooting someone advancing at you with a knife?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you come at someone with a knife if he is holding a gun? Unless the guy using the gun is invading your home and you are catching him off guard this is just suicide.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
taking a knife to the heart is the morally superior thing to do?
Not everyone has the same moral code and has different weights and priorities on different aspects of their lives.

For example, a very strict Jainist might have a very high threshold for self defense, and some might even eschew it entirely in the pursuit of an ultimate non-violent philosphy. A devout follower of Jesus might also derive a philosophy of extreme non-violence derived from His teachings of turning the other cheek, and loving your enemies. Someone who prioritizes US law to inform their personal moral code might have a lower threshold for self defense, as protecting one's self and one's private property is allowed, and in some states, being advanced on with a knife would be a valid threshold to respond with violence.

You have to define what "moral" is first, and then also make sure people aren't conflating that with "legal".

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Depends where you shoot them. Headshot? You fucked up. In the leg? All good.
as long as you put enough AP into Perception and Agility you will have a 100% chance to make these shots.
Not everyone has the same moral code and has different weights and priorities on different aspects of their lives.
and this thread is a demonstration that moral relativism is a one way ticket towards getting a knife in the heart.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

John is a former Christian pastor. He’s not mentally ill.

Isn’t that the definition of mentally ill?
tenor.gif

Hudo

Morals are never a factor for me. Legally though, I would try to shoot him in the leg or arm or first, I guess.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That's not moral relativism.

62cjJsi.jpg

this is literally what you said. "Not everyone has the same moral code" ie. there is no objective morality and all these different viewpoints are equally valid.

you could have spoken your own morality, what you would do in this situation. instead you point at Jainists, Jesus, and "someone who prioritizes US law" as three different codes, with none of them privileged above the others.

i'm sorry, that is moral relativism. you have refused to take a stance and instead want a survey of different moralities.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
62cjJsi.jpg

this is literally what you said. "Not everyone has the same moral code" ie. there is no objective morality and all these different viewpoints are equally valid.

you could have spoken your own morality, what you would do in this situation. instead you point at Jainists, Jesus, and "someone who prioritizes US law" as three different codes, with none of them privileged above the others.

i'm sorry, that is moral relativism. you have refused to take a stance and instead want a survey of different moralities.
Am I making a judgement on which is better? No. Am I making an assessment of what is "right" or "wrong"? No.

What I'm doing is analyzing thought processes that a person could hypothetically have and how it could inform their actions relative to a goal.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Futhermore, how you think me saying "Not everyone has the same moral code" is the same thing as saying "there is no objective morality and all these different viewpoints are equally valid." is quite a reach.

The second I have reasonable belief that someone is a threat to me or my family is the exact time that person catches a few rounds.

Dr Bass

Life has an instinctual drive to protect itself. Never seek to do harm, but you have every right to protect the beat of your heart.

Having said that, I don't own, and never have owned, a gun. And I won't ever do so. For me, it is a symbol of distrust - warranted or not. (not talking about hunting weapons) To have the best possible world, faith in one another is a prerequisite imho. Something will kill me - maybe another person, but I won't participate in any type of corrosion against hope in my fellow beings.

Evil exists. No amount of wishing or hoping or trust will ever change that.

desertdroog

No, not morally nor legally wrong for defending yourself against a knife assault. Your state may vary, check your laws.

I live in Arizona and am a CCWP holder. Arizona also happens to be a Stand Your Ground State.

Bonus, you can verbally warn them you are armed and lift your shirt/point to your fire arm as a legal deterrent if you believe your life to be in danger (you cannot initiate the confrontation, hence defensive display):

13-421. Justification; defensive display of a firearm; definition

A. The defensive display of a firearm by a person against another is justified when and to the extent a reasonable person would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the use or attempted use of unlawful physical force or deadly physical force.

B. This section does not apply to a person who:

1. Intentionally provokes another person to use or attempt to use unlawful physical force.

2. Uses a firearm during the commission of a serious offense as defined in section 13-706 or violent crime as defined in section 13-901.03.

C. This section does not require the defensive display of a firearm before the use of physical force or the threat of physical force by a person who is otherwise justified in the use or threatened use of physical force.

D. For the purposes of this section, "defensive display of a firearm" includes:

1. Verbally informing another person that the person possesses or has available a firearm.

2. Exposing or displaying a firearm in a manner that a reasonable person would understand was meant to protect the person against another's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force or deadly physical force.

3. Placing the person's hand on a firearm while the firearm is contained in a pocket, purse or other means of containment or transport.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
So the way I see it, is all those PC/non-violent people saying they'd never shoot, never defend themselves, would never shoot if someone was invading their home and trying to rape/kill their family, they are mostly all full of shit. They take what they believe is a moral high ground because they are safely behind their keyboards or never truely experianced real life threatening danger. Put them in that situation, with a weapon available to them, and tell me how many of them really wouldnt use it to stay alive. Yeah I do believe some of them would let their families be killed or harmed, because they are that self absorbed and mentally ill.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Or are we only allowed to shoot after we've been stabbed to death?

discuss

There is only one thing to consider:

"Does the guy with the knive intend to take your life?"

If yes, i will shoot him without thinking twice.

There is only one rule "Prepare to die if you pick up a weapon" and a knive is a weapon. Nothing else.

Thats why i say "Let me shoot people who break into my home in germany". Why? Because he breaks into my home with the intention to steal something, with the intention to defend himself and maybe with the intention to hurt me, my wife and kids if things go wrong.

I want people to know that "If you break into my home you have to prepare to die. So stay out"

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
5 year old kid with a plastic bread knife - don't take any chances, double tap to the head.
Fully grown 250lb man high on PCP yelling incoherently about the blood of the innocents and Fred Durst was right- better to weigh your options, maybe try to de-escalate

Last edited:

Boss Mog

A few do. Most of us do not.
I meant the dem politicians. "People are gonna do what they do", "Mostly peaceful protests", "Summer of love", etc... I could go on, but you get the picture. They clearly condone that behavior because they think it serves them right now. Why is every democrat run city a shithole? Shouldn't black people be thriving in those cities with the way dems say they want to help them so badly and that everybody else is racist?

silentsod

Neo Member
After I de-escalate the situation with my PhD in Critical Downtrodden Studies we'll get drinks and then smash the fash at the direct action later.

These sorts of calls are the best way to build your affinity group!

supernova8

Banned
If I had a gun and someone came at me with a knife, and I had time to react, get out the gun and shoot them then yes.

Maybe difference with others is where I would feel terrible if the person in question died. Sure the person (possibly) tried to kill me but surely anyone who thinks they would feel nothing after taking another person's life (even when under attack) is mentally not OK.

I wouldn't feel guilty for protecting myself and I would probably not apologise for shooting them, but I would likely apologise to that person's family for the fact they died if I had could do so (without putting myself at risk obviously).

Last edited:

farmerboy

Don't know about legal, but morally?

If you have asked the attacker to stop and he hasn't, and he continues to advance, then shoot away. I would take brandishing a knife in a threatening manner as a threat on my life.

Romulus

A knife is a gigantic equalizer, even a 40kg woman can kill an heavyweight ufc fighter with a knife with relative ease, nobody would risk that.

You can try to shoot a leg instead of the mid section but the police is trained to do that and they almost never do that because it's still too risky.

Whoever tells you that he's not gonna shot is a moron or a guy with zero self-preservation.

If i have a stun gun or rubber bullets and the guy is distant enough i would try that before, but not if the guy is very close to me.

I think this is a bit much. Ive won a fight against knife attacker(a man) working at bar by using a very well placed front that ive trained for about 7 years. And a UFC heavyweight would stomp my fucking ass. Its definitely an equalizer though, I just think you went too far. I'd put a prime Fedor or Cain against any woman on this planet with a knife. And you hear about people surviving 10+ stab wounds pretty often, I've ever heard over 40 several times. Having said that I would have used a gun if I had it.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
If I had a gun handy I’d shoot to kill people for far less then coming at me with a knife. If I felt I was in any danger that’s that and I’d sleep like a baby.

This video? Joke town. Amazed how long it took those cops to end it, unreal levels of restraint. He should be dead immediately after not responding to the first demand to drop the knife. I’d say no response within 5 seconds is more then fair.

Gamerguy84

I live in a 4 story home. If someone breaks in the first and my cams and motion sensors alert me I'm calling the police.

I'm sitting on the third floor waiting on them to get there. If someone steals something and leaves then the police get the tape. If they make it to the third floor they're fucked. I wouldn't think twice, blink, or try to wound them.

sol_bad

I just watched the police shooting and well ........ yeah the police did not handle it well.
The whole situation was apparently mishandled. The family requested medical help, not police. The police were not equipped to handle the situation.

Why couldn't one of the police officers at least try a taser with the partner using the gun as back up?

If I had a gun handy I’d shoot to kill people for far less then coming at me with a knife. If I felt I was in any danger that’s that and I’d sleep like a baby.

This video? Joke town. Amazed how long it took those cops to end it, unreal levels of restraint. He should be dead immediately after not responding to the first demand to drop the knife. I’d say no response within 5 seconds is more then fair.

Sorry, but this is not how a human should think. If you would kill someone "for far less than holding a knife", maybe you should seek help in regards to your world view if you'd kill someone for coming at you with a carrot.

sol_bad

Ask yourself, did either of them have a taser? Does Philly PD have the scratch to equip all officers with a taser?

Spend less money on guns, more money on tasers? There's a start.
If Australia can afford to equip officers with tasers and guns, I'm sure America can too.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
I just watched the police shooting and well ........ yeah the police did not handle it well.
The whole situation was apparently mishandled. The family requested medical help, not police. The police were not equipped to handle the situation.

Why couldn't one of the police officers at least try a taser with the partner using the gun as back up?

Sorry, but this is not how a human should think. If you would kill someone "for far less than holding a knife", maybe you should seek help in regards to your world view if you'd kill someone for coming at you with a carrot.

Why is it that self aggrandizing peons always think they get to tell other people what’s right and what’s wrong? You want to get beaten to death because “he wasn’t carrying a knife?” You do you pussy. Don’t come at me with I’ll intent unless you want to haunt me from whatever imaginary afterlife you plan on living.

silentsod

Neo Member
If Australia can afford to equip officers with tasers and guns, I'm sure America can too.

Thanks for demonstrating you don't understand how American cities are run.

MetalAlien

Banned
Even a gun is not a guaranteed way to stop someone advancing on you. Like to see you step up and handle the next one. Show us how it's done.

TDiddyLive

So buy a Taser instead of a gun for officers? Then when the taser doesn’t work, due to suspect on drugs, darts don’t penetrate, suspect wearing thick clothing, or a multitude of other things, now the officer is in fatal striking range of the suspect with a knife, since you have to be fairly close to use the taser, and the cop gets killed. Somehow I don’t see that being the answer.

sol_bad

Why is it that self aggrandizing peons always think they get to tell other people what’s right and what’s wrong? You want to get beaten to death because “he wasn’t carrying a knife?” You do you pussy. Don’t come at me with I’ll intent unless you want to haunt me from whatever imaginary afterlife you plan on living.

Yep, you totally sound like a calm, reasonable and mentally stable human being

Thanks for demonstrating you don't understand how American cities are run.

I'm not writing a thesis or an essay, I'm not researching the topic of how your cities are run. I'm not pretending I understand.
As an outsider, I can tell you that the amount of deaths caused by Australian police officers are significantly lower than American police officers. Yes population and proper gun control has something to do with this. But I'm pretty sure our police officers have better training than American police officers and our government support for mental health and our health system in general is of a higher quality than America.
America may be far wealthier than Australia but from one first world country citizen to another, America needs to get it's shit together in many aspects.

Even a gun is not a guaranteed way to stop someone advancing on you. Like to see you step up and handle the next one. Show us how it's done.

Like I said if you read one of my earlier posts. Police officers shouldn't have even been sent to the scene and if they were they should have been fully trained on how to handle someone with a mental condition and they should have been sent with an ambulance. Police officers are there to serve and protect, protect other people from harm and protect people from harming themselves, they are not there to serve and murder.

JimiNutz

Banned
Hell I'd feel justified shooting someone that was running at me with a cricket/baseball bat.

Ideally you'd shoot them in the legs/knees to disable them rather than kill but as I don't really shoot guns myself (we use butter knifes or acid here in the UK) I appreciate that this may be unrealistic and it's probably easier to just shoot for the centre mass.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Related!

She did a front flip!

Last edited by a moderator:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Related!

She did a front flip!

A middle aged woman with a pair of scissors? That's getting into questionable territory, as most scissors aren't nearly as deadly as a knife and she's not a physical threat. A front kick would've sent her flying and ended that scenario in an instant. The police aren't trained to do that, of course, so legally justified but morally less so.

notseqi

Shoot him in the leg just as he reaches the distance you need to soccer kick him in the face while he is falling, then, just before he falls into unsconsciousness whisper in his ear that you're a vegan.

What brought this question about?

Legally justified and morally obligated.

Edit: unless you gave them a justifiable reason to come at you with a knife.
Lol'd at the edit. 'Mate, could you hand me that knife?' *BANG BANG BANG*

Last edited:

GymWolf

How many british cops do you need to block a guy with a machete?

SkeletalGrayIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Joking aside, a couple of guys squeezing the guy with a knife with plastic shields seems the safer option to get the job done without victims.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Shooting the leg is worse:

Donut Operator did a good video on how tasers don't always work and how quickly a knife wielding man can get on you:

Never understood why police doesn't upgrade their taser...make them more powerfull so stuff like this doesn't happen...there is always a limit for every human, adrenaline can take you only that far when the pain is too much.

It's risky having a more powerfull taser because you can cause an heart attack?? Sure
Is it still far less deadly than shooting a guy with a gun? Absolutely.

notseqi

I live in a 4 story home. If someone breaks in the first and my cams and motion sensors alert me I'm calling the police.

I'm sitting on the third floor waiting on them to get there. If someone steals something and leaves then the police get the tape. If they make it to the third floor they're fucked. I wouldn't think twice, blink, or try to wound them.
1. Lock all doors and set the house on fire
2. Dude brought a knife to a housefire fight
3. ???
4. PROFIT

sol_bad

How many british cops do you need to block a guy with a machete?

SkeletalGrayIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Joking aside, a couple of guys squeezing the guy with a knife with plastic shields seems the safer option to get the job done without victims.

Nah sorry, guns are the only way. Sorry.

Top Bottom