• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Still Going To Watch Marvel Movies?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’s funny I work for a company who contracts out to a company bought by Fox last year. That corporate merger caused a big shakeup and now this one I have personally seen so many people lose their jobs due to lack of work and future contracts getting shelved. If I could ignore media consolidation I would but it’s kinda hard when your friends are losing their jobs. And yes it makes me pissed off at the companies just swooping in and taking over every last IP.

The social justice stuff is a sideshow. I really couldn’t care less. It’s there so that they look good while gaining a bigger and bigger monopoly on popular media. The people championing these billion dollar mergers are useful idiots

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't really care about any of this diversity bullshit but I'd been thinking about stopping with the Marvel movies after Endgame. I had already been thinking about stopping after Civil War but then Infinity War was really good and I felt like I needed to see how it all ended.

I'm not really excited about Captain Marvel, Spider-Man Far From Home, Guardians 3 or anything else that Marvel have coming up and think the films are too samey now. I will probably jump back in once the X-Men arrive or for anything else that the Russo Brothers do with the Marvel characters.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Yup. People need to stop freaking out because people mention diversity. The Marvel movies are pretty much the most mainstream thing in popular culture right now. Of course they want to appeal to as many people as possible.

It’s funny I work for a company who contracts out to a company bought by Fox last year. That corporate merger caused a big shakeup and now this one I have personally seen so many people lose their jobs due to lack of work and future contracts getting shelved. If I could ignore media consolidation I would but it’s kinda hard when your friends are losing their jobs. And yes it makes me pissed off at the companies just swooping in and taking over every last IP.

The social justice stuff is a sideshow. I really couldn’t care less. It’s there so that they look good while gaining a bigger and bigger monopoly on popular media. The people championing these billion dollar mergers are useful idiots

Disney buying Fox is going to have negative consequences for a lot of people and the movie industry in general. People celebrating it because it means we get X-Men in the MCU is really short sighted.

Caayn

I don't really care for the internet discussions as they basically boil down "One side: Eeecckkk too much diversity, keep your SJW out of here. Other side: Not enough diversity, we need more!!!". On the internet there's rarely any nuance to be had with these types of discussions, sadly, which I feel is key when talking about this.

I've watched all the movies in the MCU at this point, with the exception of "Ant-Man and the Wasp" and "Captain Marvel". They're fun movies to watch and the references to other stories within the MCU are enjoyable. So I'll probably see Captain Marvel soon while it's still in theaters and will most likely do the same with Avengers Endgame once that one is out.

That said I'd categorize them as "popcorn" movies, they're fun too watch but that's it for me. The same as with the DCEU movies.

Last edited:
I stopped watching them quite a while ago. It has nothing to do with the controversies but that I just started to be bored by the movies.
I think it was one of the Thor movies that did it. Then the laughably bad CGI in Age Of Ultron sealed the deal.

I just can't get hyped or excited by the movies any more.
I did eventually see Infinity War on DVD since it seemed everyone was saying it was the best movie ever. I didn't like it much.
It wasn't bad, just boring. I just found it bland, kind of more of the same, again.

The upcoming Shazam movie though. That one is something I can get excited about!
Same here. I stopped caring about these movies a while ago. I've only recently watched Black Panther and Infinity War because they were on Netflix and I thought they were both pretty average and too cartoony with their over use of obvious CGI.

I used to like the comics and the continued butchering of the source material of these movies also put me off in a big way.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I'm all for more diversity. I agree with Feige's comments that greater diversity can lead to better stories... or at least, more imaginative stories. What is important, to me, is that diversity feels natural and not tacked on.

I haven't watched Captain Marvel yet, but Black Panther is one of my favourite MCU's movies. Far from perfect, but has some pretty great highs, and most of them related either to social commentary or inspired by exotic cultures.

Last edited:

quickwhips

Maybe if they make more movies like black panther people can finally admit it’s just average. Winter soldier is best marvel movie. Best big fight is still civil war.

Raziel

the only marvel movies i watch at the theatre are avengers, everything else is redbox fare.

the only thing that can pull me back in, is if they actually make something unique/risky. and i dont mean a goofball thor movie. i mean like an r rated movie, a movie about villains, or an elseworlds story. or something completely off the wall like a silver surfer solo movie.

I have to admit, the Marvel movies are getting really old for me. I didn't care for Infinity War at all. Just sort of felt numb throughout it, like things were happening, but I just didn't care.

Part of the problem is that I've read all the comics that they are basically adapting - and the comics were better. They make all these little changes to the characters and lore, and almost universally it is for the worse. Like Batman the Animated Series was not the same Batman as the Tim Burton movies or Adam West show. It's all Batman, but they sort of had their own identity beyond "sort of like the comics". I feel like the Marvel Cinematic Universe is closer in feel and style to the animated show The Batman. They changed a lot of things, none of them for the better, and ultimately created a show that you were cheering for the moment when it starts to seem like one of the better Batmans.

Like take Spider-man. There's a TON of good Spider-man material out there. I know Dan Slott gets a lot of shit (and is another writer who drank too much of the Kool-Aid) but some of the stuff he did with Peter was pretty cool. Spider-verse, Spider Island, Horizons Lab, Superior Spider-man, Renew Your Vows, and so on. He took a 60 year old character and not only did new things with him, he took old things to their logical conclusions (kind of like how Geoff Johns took an old Alan Moore issue and turned it into The Blackest Night, probably Green Lantern's highest point).

But what did they do with the movie? Peter is in high school... again. Peter Parker has been an adult in the comics for decades. He's been married and had kids. And I'm watching Homecoming thinking, at the rate they make these movies, they'll literally never get to the good stuff. And then MJ not being MJ. What's the point of reliving the past if you are just going to remove all of the valuable things from it? Is the pursuit of diversity so important that you'd shit all over your own characters to achieve it? (The answer is yes, based on Marvel's comics in the past couple years)

The movies are okay, at best. The novelty of them being big budget adaptations of the comics I read has kind of faded. I mean, if you haven't read the comics they are all copied from, they might seem pretty exciting. But then, I'll take Brubaker's run on Captain America over The First Avenger any day. Civil War was a sprawling mess of a cross over (though a brilliant concept with some great moments), but at least it had more than, what, 8 super heroes in it?

The worst part is, they have been shitting up the comics for several years now, so I don't even get those anymore. What they did to Iron Man should be against the law. These days, I just read Astro City - more for what it was than for what it currently is, but there's enough moments of pure catharsis that make me think Busiek still has some good stories left in him. Oh, I guess I also read One Piece, if that counts (it probably doesn't).

Hell no!

Those movies suck dude!

giphy.gif

Grinchy

Banned
Going to the theater has gotten pretty rare for me in the past decade or so. Some movies are guaranteed to get me into a theater like anything made by Tarantino.

But after Avengers Endgame, I probably won't see most Marvel movies in theaters anymore. They've just kinda gotten boring to me a little bit. It's amazing that it lasted as long as it did. Even things like Guardians or Deadpool, which I really like a lot, are feeling like things I can hold off on.

bitbydeath

Going to the theater has gotten pretty rare for me in the past decade or so. Some movies are guaranteed to get me into a theater like anything made by Tarantino.

But after Avengers Endgame, I probably won't see most Marvel movies in theaters anymore. They've just kinda gotten boring to me a little bit. It's amazing that it lasted as long as it did. Even things like Guardians or Deadpool, which I really like a lot, are feeling like things I can hold off on.

I agree. I feel like I need a break after endgame. The only thing I feel that will really pull me back into the theatre would be Disneys take on X-Men. (Providing its good)

i think their movies are so mediocre but i occasionally watch something if its avengers or some shit. i found the last one disappointing too. im probably going to stop watching im getting sick of superhero movies

No, i didnt even watch the most recent Avengers, just waited until clips were on youtube and watched them.

The wokonda battle was pretty lame and all it made me think was no comic book films except the first avengers movie have ever really done a good group battle.....

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I never liked Marvel movies, so it's a moot point for me. I enjoyed the first few X-Men movies, then Deadpool, then Logan. That's it. I tried repeatedly to watch the others and they were just utterly irrelevant nonsense to me.

No, i didnt even watch the most recent Avengers, just waited until clips were on youtube and watched them.

The wokonda battle was pretty lame and all it made me think was no comic book films except the first avengers movie have ever really done a good group battle.....

lmao yeah it was a pretty shitty battle but i was thinking how much easier the battle would be if the bad guys just had fucking guns

Last edited:
I'll keep watching for now. Im just conscious of the the politics that those movies promote. You can look to movies for SJW ideals and the real world for conservative realities.

Typhares

Endgame yes, I feel like I invested in the characters and wants to see what happens.
After Iron man / Thor / Cap are out of the picture? Well I might still watch but I don't think I will go to the cinema for it.
The only character left that I really enjoyed was Doctor Strange, ant man and black panther were ok.

KonradLaw

Eventually. Last time I went to cinema to see one was Doctor Strange. I might go see Endgame, but other than that I will wait for home releases.

Cato

Banned

Is that the one at the end in Infinity Wars? I wacthed it on DVD since I stopped going to these movies at the big screen quite a while ago.
I was so bored by the movie and then the big battle at the end, I was "this looks like fucking Saurons Orc army. Is this a cross-over with LOTR? Fuck this is shit."

Last edited:

mekes

I stopped years back, but it has nothing to do do with any political beliefs. I just prefer different types of movies.

I’d watch a new Blade movie tho. Bring Blade back.

Tevious

I never really cared for the Marvel Studios stuff, so no. I liked the first 2 Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies, a few of the X-Men movies and Deadpool, but everything else I've seen was mediocre at best to a complete snore-fest. A lot of these movies feel like I'm watching the imagination of some little kid playing with his action figures. I just don't like movies with bland plots filled with mindless action scenes and explosions.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My wife will continue to want to watch them and I will probably continue to consider them mindless, but mostly enjoyable trash movies. The citation in the op has no influence on either my wife's desire to watch the movies, nor my slightly positive yet mostly indifferent view on them. In fact, Black Panther is among my wife's favourite Marvel movies.

Antoon

Banned
My wife will continue to want to watch them and I will probably continue to consider them mindless, but mostly enjoyable trash movies. The citation in the op has no influence on either my wife's desire to watch the movies, nor my slightly positive yet mostly indifferent view on them. In fact, Black Panther is among my wife's favourite Marvel movies.
Oh wow, you have a wife? I thought you were gay.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I've lost interest in Marvel movies. The formula is incredibly stale and the audience they attract are either normies or people who think a comic book movie will suddenly bring a world revolution when Disney just wants money. I was off a while ago.

I have been seeing articles on this pop up recently. At first I thought it was a little off putting to highlight this, but then I found out why.

Last week, Marvel's production chief and co/executive producer Victoria Alonso said

“I’m so passionate about this I’ve got to tell you,” Alonso continued. “Our entire success is based on people that are incredibly different. Why wouldn’t we? Why would we only want to be recognized by only one type of person? Our audience is global, is diverse, is inclusive. If we don’t do it that way for them, we will fail. If we don’t put pedal to the metal on the diversity and the inclusivity, we will not have continued success. Our determination is to have that for all of the people out there watching our movies.”

So diversity outright helps them bank more money, gotta maximize that shareholder value. I guess that I can't be annoyed at that.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/marvel-cinematic-universe-gay-superhero-eternals-1202049361/

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well I guess your posting history, the stance in the LGBT threads and your gaming taste.
Are platformers / Nintendo games particularly popular with gay people? That's completely new to me.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So basically they are saying that from now on they are going to be more inclusive than they were before? Whats the problem? Why would I not watch more of their movies because of this?

He says the more diverse the cast the more diverse the story can be and that is 100% true. I am not seeing any kind of issue here.

Well I guess your posting history, the stance in the LGBT threads and your gaming taste.

The fuck? What does someones stance on the LGBTQ community or their choice in games have to do with their sexuality? There is no way of accurately telling someones sexuality based on either of those things.

That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard.

Last edited:
So basically they are saying that from now on they are going to be more inclusive than they were before? Whats the problem? Why would I not watch more of their movies because of this?

He says the more diverse the cast the more diverse the story can be and that is 100% true. I am not seeing any kind of issue here.

The fuck? What does someones stance on the LGBTQ community or their choice in games have to do with their sexuality? There is no way of accurately telling someones sexuality based on either of those things.

That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard.

My stance is that the facts speak for itself, it's not about right or wrong. I don't even really know what the ideal version of that is.

They are compelled to be more diverse because it boosts profits. That's the free market at work. The philosophical and political side is secondary to that.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
As soon as RDJ leaves it is deadzo

The MCU has grown far beyond RDJ. Same goes for Chris Evans who is arguably the other pillar of the MCU. I will be sad to see them go, but when they do the MCU will be just fine. Look at the box office of the movies where neither even show up. The MCU is alot bigger than a single actor. Its simply about a fanbase who loves the content that is being put out and is always ready for more of it regardless of who is starring in it. Captain Marvel is the latest example of that fact.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

If not rated M i find superhero movies= kids movies (for me). There are entertaining but not my kind of movie to watch. The Dark Knight trilogy even with all his flaws was the last movies i kinda enjoy, but just cause a liked Batman since a was a kid. Guardians of the Galaxy and the awesome spiderman 1 i see it because i worked a the movies in that time. Disney is trash. All im saying is i would really like a mature approach to superheroes but we know that is not going to happend.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
I will probably duck out when the original avengers are gone. Most of the additional characters added over the years don't really interest me. The rumors of a bunch of diversity heroes in the next waves gives me pause. Not for the diversity itself but the hamfisted way diversity is often handled in anything Hollywood touches. Marvel comics already went down this road unsuccessfully so it should be funny to watch it happen again in movies.

Saruhashi

Banned
Nah. After Endgame I am out.

Used to be that I'd be excited for the next Marvel offering but over time they have just become too samey and it all seems to just blend into one.
I've skipped so many since Civil War because it all just looks so uninspired and uninteresting. Missed Thor Ragnarok, Spiderman, Ant Man & Wasp, Capt Marvel because they just look like more of the same old stuff.
Pretty much exactly how I feel their comics content these days too.
Maybe I am just old now.

I hate the whole "diversity" conversation that surrounds these movies now, even if I do participate from time to time, because I think it just distracts from the fun of potential comic book movies. Both sides are celebrating their little "victories" and it just kind of annoys me because I did think the positivity around Black Panther was cool and I enjoyed that movie but I also didn't want those SJW people to get the win. At the same time I will skip Captain Marvel but I am kind of tired of hearing gloating about how bad it is or how badly it'll fail.

Man, I'd laugh my ass off if Captain Marvel just comes swooping in and wrecks Thanos.
Just as I laughed my ass off at Youtube and Rotten Tomatoes etc trying to defend the poor little Hollywood product from those evil manbaby trolls.

The truth is that Marvel Studios should have been well on top of this "diversity" situation years ago but now that it's reached a certain level they have kind of screwed themselves regarding what will come after Endgame. I don't see this petty bickering ending any time soon and if they don't deliver Black Panther 2 and 3 or Captain Marvel 2 and 3 then they will come under fire.

In hindsight I would have had a Black Panther movie before the first Avengers and had him as a first phase Avenger. Long before any of this shit picked up a full head of steam.
Then have a Black Widow movie taking place either before Ultron or before Civil War. Again, just get it out there and head off all of this "inclusion" drama before it gets going.
It would have been so easy then.

Instead my social media feed is full of shite where it feels like going to see these movies is some kind of political act and you have too much gloating because they movie did the thing that made this side or that side soooo mad. It annoys me. People just eager to see the movie get utterly trashed by their favorite critic only fo those critics to just say "meh, it was meh".

The SJW crowd are kind of right in some ways though. Movies from super-progressive Hollywood studio based on progressive Marvel comics but we are EIGHTEEN movies in before we have one that is led by black actors and then we are TWENTY-ONE movies in before we get the first female led one. Even those are conveniently placed right before the 2 biggest Marvel films ever with an implication that they are a good lead in to those major entries. What's up with that?

Then I see things like those lads beside the Black Panther poster going on that "this is how white people feel all the time". Fuck off lads. It's so pathetic and cringey.

I hate that you have sites like Rotten Tomatoes going out of their way to protect these films from trolls. Like, just stop it.

At the end of the day, I can say that the build up from Iron Man to Civil War is a great time but after that they have just felt less and less vital and appealing.

I can live without it easily enough and if other people are enjoying them now then that's grand but I just can't deal with the way these things have become a political battleground.

Top Bottom