• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Still Going To Watch Marvel Movies?

lock2k

Banned
Probably not, but not because of politics. Last one I saw was Iron Man 2 and I feel lost with so many movies.

wondermega

Everything just feels like "set piece, set piece, set piece, commercial for something else.," The movies used to be kinda fun and it's actually cool to go back and watch some of the earlier ones while they were still figuring this stuff out. Trying to figure it how to make it mesh with the real world. Nowadays nothing has any weight and just feels pretty phoned in. Still interesting to watch for technical scale and spectacle of course, I'll give you that - no one spends more money than Marvel/Disney does on exposition these days. It's just so dull, though. I'll likely check out Endgame when it's on vod just to see how it ties up but I think I'm good after that, at least until something real bizarre/interesting comes down the pipe. Anyway to wrap up I am in my mid 40s and I'll acknowledge that I'm pretty past the target demo for these films so I'm not terribly perturbed.

Brizzady

Banned
Why wouldn't people watch? Diversity is actually a good thing. I know some idiots will tell you it isn't, but that's why they're idiots.

NickFire

The fuck? What does someones stance on the LGBTQ community or their choice in games have to do with their sexuality? There is no way of accurately telling someones sexuality based on either of those things.

That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard.
The guy was asked why he thought a certain way, and started his answer with "Well I guess." All he did was offer examples of why he might have believed something he found out was untrue. The soap box preaching of why his guess wasn't a good one is not needed. He had a mistaken belief. End of story.

cryptoadam

Banned
It has nothing to do with diversity, but once Endgame is done I don't know where I will stand.

With no Evans, RDJ, or Hemmsworth the MCU won't be the same.

I like Strange, ant man, BP but they aren't the original guys I have watched over the last decade.

Also I am getting a bit tired of super hero movies. They all have the same kinda plot and SFX.

TBH though I don't really watch them anyways, usually catch them on streaming, last movie I saw in a cinema was I think Captain America.

NickFire

It has nothing to do with diversity, but once Endgame is done I don't know where I will stand.

With no Evans, RDJ, or Hemmsworth the MCU won't be the same.

I like Strange, ant man, BP but they aren't the original guys I have watched over the last decade.

Also I am getting a bit tired of super hero movies. They all have the same kinda plot and SFX.

TBH though I don't really watch them anyways, usually catch them on streaming, last movie I saw in a cinema was I think Captain America.
Wow. If they are losing 3/4 of the OG's, then I vote for a few year pause before they can reboot while including Xmen into the next generation of movies.

oagboghi2

Why wouldn't people watch? Diversity is actually a good thing. I know some idiots will tell you it isn't, but that's why they're idiots.
maybe try reading the thread. I know that will be difficult for you, but try. "Diversity" is not the complaint people have.

cryptoadam

Banned
Wow. If they are losing 3/4 of the OG's, then I vote for a few year pause before they can reboot while including Xmen into the next generation of movies.

I am pretty sure Evans and RDJ are out after Endgame. I can also imagine Hemsworth is probably done to, getting into that type of shape probably isn't easy and he has a career outside of Thor now.

Everyone else in the MCU doesn't have the charisma of those 3 guys.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
wow 2 movies out of 21 feature diverse leads. so daring. so diverse.

good luck on your merger, diverse boys! would be nice to get a photo of your diverse shareholders & executives swallowing up all media on the planet but yeah it's probably too diverse and would blow my tiny mind.

Last edited:

Domisto

wow 2 movies out of 21 feature diverse leads. so daring. so diverse..
Black Panther's woke credentials are weak. It's good to see it mix things up with the cast but they didn't make much effort.

After, what, 17 Marvel movies they have a central and supporting cast that are majority black and it's set around Africa. They could have done a regular American setting hero movie similar to Spiderman or Iron Man and had a majority black cast. There are sitcoms that are mostly black. There are actual neighbourhoods that are mostly black. But Marvel are doing a black cast and it's because it's set around Africa. What were they gonna do, set it in Africa and have a mostly white cast. And why was it in Africa, so they can have the Marvel formula with cool looking African stuff, battle rhinos and spears, exotic costumes. It's got more in common with blaxploitation than wokeness. Which is hardly surprising considering it's origins in the 60s/70s when exotic African locations were a big thing in adventure stories, all that Captain Spalding, Dr Livingstone I presume etc, and all the blaxploitation films too.

So Black Panther doesn't deserve that many woke brownie points IMO.

paparazzo

Nope, been bored of them since Guardians 1. Was dragged into seeing Civil War and haven’t seen any since. Not because of any sociopolitical nonsense though.

Verdanth

It really depends of the approach they make on future movies / characters that will die in Endgame.

But until there I'm game on.

manfestival

I will watch them but I find it hard to be excited for anything in between Endgame. Antman 2 was so blah. I want to watch Captain Marvel but rather see it with someone else.

NickFire

My vote is for them to add whatever diversity they want without saying anything about the color or gender of those who watch / review. Just make good movies however you vision them, and stay away from identity politics. Don't complain about who reviews you, who watches you, etc., and all will be good.

dorkimoe

As long as they are good. If anything I am going to give up forums and news websites. I cant take the political/social issues shoved down my throat constantly. If the movie makes it obvious I probably wouldnt see it. But other than that, i see anything that I think will entertain me

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just watch them for free in bulk after it's online, and most of them have been mediocre.

The only time I was genuinely into it was Winter Soldier. I was not surprised one bit when they hired those directors to make Avengers. I'm pretty sure the Russos are done after Endgame. James Gunn had one great movie and one shit movie. And the Thor Ragnarok director seems promising.

So they're down to one director I'm slightly into and that's it. It will probably go back to being highly mediocre and skippable for a while.

Maybe I'll get excited if they get a new directorial talent for X-Men, but most marvel movies seem pretty bland now. Hell, I thought Infinity War was only watchable once because of multiple stupid plot points like Starlord pistol whipping Thanos, or Wakanda not having any technology, vehicles or artillery and instead using stupid spears and infantry only even though they can supposedly go to space lol. I think the movies are pretty overrated now.

Out of all the Marvel stuff, the only things that actually stand out as great are: Winter Soldier, Civil War., Guardians 1. Thor Ragnarok is enjoyable as well (Jeff Goldblum helps a ton). That's not a lot.

longdi

Banned
I missed the last few ones except Infinity Wars. Just fatigue for me, will watch Endgame and perhaps catch a few on Google Play with my free credits.

How much more freshness can they inject, getting more formulaic. If they are wanting to throw in politics or sjw movements, even more yucks.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'll still watch. I haven't experienced any of this fatigue y'all talking about. I didn't see Ant-Man and the Wasp in theaters but saw it on Blu-ray. Not bought, just rented on Redbox. It was good.

Same with Dr. Strange... Only saw it on Blu-ray. Rented.

I realized I don't have to see ALL of them in theaters, but some like Black Panther and Infinity War are better to watch in theaters with someone whose company you enjoy.

Fbh

As long as they are still fun, sure.

As others in this thread though, I'm not too excited about the future of the MCU after End Game.
The new generation of heroes they are building up just doesn't interest me that much. The only one I've historically liked a lot is Spiderman but I don't really like MCUs take on the character. The Spiderman comics I grew up reading were mostly about the more grown up and experienced Spiderman which I've been wanting to see on the big screen for a long time, so after 2 movie franchises of Spiderman in his early days I was disappointed that Marvel went even further back and turned it into "Spidermans Highschool adventures"

Last edited:

JoduanER2

Diversity is nothing bad. It is only bad if you make it your focus instead of the actual story and its characters. Ghostbusters is such an example or Last Jedi

As for not watching. I have never Watched Thor 2 and 3, Balckpanther and Dr. Strange because I was really not interested in them. I was the ones I think will be interesting

This. I hate with my every fiber this SJW nonsense, and how disney is trying soo hard to appease this idiots, at the expense of episode 7 quality. Diversity is great, but dont make your movies about your political agenda. I was playing the campaign of battefront 2 and is soo embarrassing the way they try to paint females as strong and with no feelings. Like theres a part where you get sucked into space but just at the last minute the sealing windows closed, and she get hit hard against the window but play it like it was nothing, and they do a close up of her putting a badass face, is soo ridiculous. Same they are doing with captain marvel, showing like this robot females, where they show no feelings.

Makariel

They are the movies I watch on transatlantic flights. I don't go to the cinema to watch them anymore. Last one I went to the cinema for was Infinity War.

kunonabi

What are the Marvel movies coming up after Endgame? I know Spider-man, but that's it.

Black Widow
Shang-chi
The Eternals
Far From Home
Black Panther 2
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3

Likely:
Dr. Strange 2
Ant-Man 3

Captain Marvel 2 should also be a lock of course.

Last edited:
Black widow
Shang-chi
The eternals
Far From Home
Black Panther 2

Likely:
Dr. Strange 2
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3
Ant-Man 3

Captain Marvel 2 should also be a lock of course.
Wow. The only one I'd watch is Ant-Man 3. Shang-chi? Really? That dude is like F-list Marvel (if that). I guess they really want to do an Asian Immortal Fist. And The Eternals? Who?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
in the past year i have seen Infinity War, Black Panther, Ant Man, and Guardians 2. going into this year there was already the expectation that i see Infinity War 2, and now this Captain Marvel, and whatever else they will guilt me into seeing. and this is only one comic book franchise, completely ignoring every other film company in existence.

it's funny cos when i was a kid, you would see at most 1-2 comic book or giant big IP blockbusters a year. now that i am an adult I am expected to watch more of these movies than when i was a kid. it's doesn't make any sense honestly. at some point it all becomes too much to bother with.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Why is this a "shame". Not everyone has to adore superhero movies

It's just a shame because I don't really involve myself in other forums. There just aren't many places where I can geek out about the MCU.
Every thread is going to basically be 60% Debbie Downers saying the MCU is shit or it's for children or how their "taste is too refined for comic book movies".

I watch them with my friends since we have a group that usually goes to cinema together.

I only watched Captain America on my own when I got Netflix.

I consider those movies to be cinema version of fast food.

gatti-man

I never really got into them. From what I've seen of the Avengers movies, they always struck me as being kind of cheesy and a little too bombastically American for my taste. =\
Actually they are pretty critical of America. Civil war/winter soldier and captain America in general besides the first one.

highrider

Banned
I had already kind of lost interest. I’ll usually watch them on Netflix if I feel like it but even kind of losing free interest lol. The diversity thing is just another cudgel I’ve taken enough of the last decade. Winter Soldier was the only one I thought was pretty awesome as an action film. To be fair though I’ve never been a comic book guy so the characters don’t have the same intrinsic value to me.

Fnord

I didn't go to Captain Marvel. The trailers didn't grab me and Larson making speeches where she had to keep clarifying that she doesn't hate white dudes kept me from the theatre. Either one of those things goes away and I almost certainly would have gone. That said, while I fundamentally disagree with Feige's assertion that simple diversity makes better stories (it doesn't - any more than a lack of diversity does. Talent does, regardless of the color, belief system, sexual orientation, etc... of those involved), I'll keep going to Marvel movies either until they suck (came pretty close after seeing Iron Man 3, but for fanboy reasons - they ruined my Mandarin, dammit!) or I hit another Captain Marvel situation.

n0razi

Too much whining IMHO... people who whine about lack of diversity and people who whine about too much diversity

Dacon

Banned
A thing isn't good simply by virtue of being different. I'd rather eat a meal that I've eaten a thousand times that's prepared properly, than a meal I've never had that's been prepared poorly.

Execution is key. Diversity bears no sort of value on its own, quality is quality regardless of how it's packaged. People go on and on about diversity like it adds some sort of inherent value to things, when all that matters is execution.

That said, I have no real interest in Marvel films these days, they're too formulaic, too bland. I'll watch Endgame simply because I started the whole thing years ago, I may as well see it to its end.

I watch all movies but prefer to repeat those i like. a day will come when there will be infinite infinite length movies in vr and we will each choose one of our own choosing and following, but they will all be connected and restricted by the laws of mathematics.

In fact you could be the star of one such movie, or perhaps merely one of the coprotagonists,

Angry_Ostrich

Neo Member
I'll check out Avengers: End game, carry on watching Spider-Man movies (cause I can't help, he's my favourite character) and that's it really.

Marvel movies tend to have an awful plot. I can't stand shitty plots even when the main purpose of the movie is to entertain.

Top Bottom