• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

are you still interested in gaming?

Hanon

Banned
for me, i think i'm going to skip the next console generation. i'm just not interested anymore.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why wouldn’t I be? It’s my favourite hobby But if you fed up with them its good idea take break from it for a while. Who knows maybe you might start liking video games again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah!!!

Looking forward to next generation but at the same time, im in no rush for this one to end. TLOUP2, Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone within the next two years and a shitload of third party games in 2019 so yeah, im definitely still interested in gaming. Love gaming!!!

zkorejo

I only play selected games now. Its due to time constraints. Its not like I used to play every game release anyways but I bet if i had as much time as I had a few years back, I would be gaming alot more.

Definitely getting the next gen console but will only play selected titles.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I play a little bit on most days. There are more high quality games out there today then ever before. I need more time to play them all.

brap

Banned
Pretty much only care about Japanese games these days. I'll probably end up getting a PS5 years down the road but meh.

Exentryk

Yes, still interested in gaming. I play more on PC now though, and less on consoles. I'll likely skip the next consoles and see if some streaming service can allow playing console exclusives.

Petrae

Yes, I'm still interested in video games; however, my interest in modern console video games has been gradually dwindling and I'll have a decision to make when the next generation arrives. Do I want to pay $400-$500+ for a box that's going to deliver the same shit that I've come to hate about modern console video games? The long wait times for installs, the dozens of gigs of data I have to download in addition to the install before I can even play that new game I bought? What about the continuous greed with DLC? Or $60 no longer being enough to buy a game I want on Day One? Do I want to invest in another hard drive in addition to the half a grand I just spent, because the one that comes with the machine will hold 10 games before it fills up?

I dunno. I've been collecting retro games and preparing to exit the modern scene, in order to get away from all of the bullshit and return to a simpler time when I can just pop in a disc or cartridge and start playing. No online services, no patches, no "limited licenses". At this point, I'm going to need to see something VERY convincing if I'm gonna stick around after this generation.

Totally. For me gaming isnt just some past time activity. People love reading books, i love to play games for the story. Especially if its a series I follow and always wonder what is next. I just dont see why Id ever stoo gaming even if I was 60. I dont watch TV, so this is something very normal in my daily routine.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Pretty much only care about Japanese games these days. I'll probably end up getting a PS5 years down the road but meh.
I feel like these days western developers going for hyper realism and grounded too much to the point it sucking all fun out of playing games.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Love gaming! Been crushing gears 4 online, cant wait for halo infinite and gears 5! Not to mention all the great single player games coming out. The outer worlds, cyberpunk, metro.

Great time to be a gamer

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I feel like these days western developers going for hyper realism and grounded too much to the point it sucking all fun out of playing games.

I’ve been playing a lot more Japanese games more recently for that reason. I’d rather my games not be super realistic all the time.

I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t.

That being said, I’m definitely not playing as much as I used to due to depression issues. At this point I’m really only interested in Japanese games, with a few western games thrown in. I don’t like the direction most western games have taken the last few years but there’s of course outliers.

I think with the next gen I won’t get one launch day. I think with the Switch I should have enough to last me a bit. That being said I expect to buy PS5 in the first year just maybe not at launch.

It's not that I'm not interested.... it's just the more adult responsibilities you get the less time you have to actually play games...

TYRiAX

seeya OP. Personally I will always be interested in gaming, however I may not always be interested in the games that I am supposed to be interested in and instead have fun playing indie/retro titles while the world plays Fortnight COD AssCreed etc

Ridaxan

I don't think I will ever get to a point where I'm not interested in gaming. There might be times where I don't spend a significant amount of time playing games, but I'm always aware of them. I keep up to date with industry news even during periods where I haven't played something for weeks.

Virex

Banned
I’m still interested in gaming. But I’ve become a lot more selective over which games I buy.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There's so many options how is possible to not be interested? Maybe if your playing too much and burning out try spending time on other hobbies and taking a break.

JimiNutz

Banned
Due to time constraints I don't game much anymore but I'm still interested in the hobby and still look forward to seeing what will come next in gaming. I've got a lot to catch up on from this gen still so I won't be buying a next gen console day one but I will def buy one eventually.

Lanrutcon

Indeed.

Going to get a new PC next year for the first time in ages. Already got a list of pre-purchased games I will binge on. Plus Pokemon is finally getting a good looking title next year (yay!), Warframe still ticks all the right boxes for me, and who knows: maybe the next WoW expansion doesn't suck ass.

Nelsin

Banned
Yes yes for sure I get those burn outs everyone in a while then I come back fresh. Also I don't have anything to do with my free time so meh.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Gaming industry is the most interesting and entertaining one by far. Even if I would not be playing at all I'd probably follow it just the same as I do now.

As for gaming itself... I've bought very few new games this year because of the shady practices and politics going on currently. But I'm not too depressed about it. The industry shifts and changes all the time. Only last year I bought probably more new games than ever before. I think it's ridiculous to assume the current situation will become the new norm. I actually welcome it because it gave me some time to catch up and/or replay some of the older games. Only because of this I finally got around to play A Link Between Worlds this year and it ended up being one of the best games I have ever played.

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

Yes, i am. Getting a current gen PC and a Switch has reinvigorated my interest

Still, i can understand anyone who is losing interest, the industry is slowly going to shit, but there's still enough good games between all the overly commercial crap to keep me engaged.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why would I be here if I was not?

I am interested in a certain niche though, I am not interested in shooters, sports games or online games.

Kadayi

Banned
Absolutely. however, I play when I feel like it rather than try and force myself to. The plain truth of the matter is as far as mediums go it's quite demanding in terms of attention and so there's no point playing when your tired and even less point if you need to dose yourself up on energy drinks or litres of Coffee to be able to play.

Kagey K

Banned
If you are on a video game forum, talking about your disinterest in video games, you are probably still more interested in video games then the average player.

As disinterested you are, you are still more interested then 80% of gamers.

Sorry.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Of course I am, but I can see why people become disillusioned. Consider modern business practices in gaming, gauging the customer for every penny through high prices, DLC, microtransactions and now ads in games after you've spent all that (and I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see ads becoming the norm, followed by ad-free passes sold for significant real-world cash as websites are starting to do). Consider the future of gaming as a service with netflix-like systems where people will be competing for your eyeballs. Consider what design decisions those business practices create, from grind for microtransactions through the kind of games netflix-likes will lead to (just as streaming has done shitty things to pop music).

I will still game retro, and I will choose carefully, purchasing games that will offer fun rather than time-sink (I'm more cash-rich and time-poor than I was in my younger days). I will buy from GOG where I can, because I believe DRM-free is the right way. I will support developers who are offering something new and innovative. I will avoid cash-cow franchises.

llien

I went to playing pretty much anything, to only small number of games, hours I spend weekly on games dropped sharply, but I still have interest.
In my early 40s.

Top Bottom