• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ariel cast in live action Little Mermaid Movie

Whitesnake

Banned
dn7UFCd.jpg

kunonabi

Yep, not interested in watching Disney completely shit on my favorite Disney film. This chick, McCarthy, and Aquafina as a gender bent Scuttle is just a recipe for a trash.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
>mulan is asian
>belle is white
>jasmine is brown
>cinderella is white
>mowgli is a brown kid
>the only redhead is now a black woman
Disney live action remakes are all shit but still. I can't be the only one seeing this.
Mulan is set in China and is Chinese, a fiction based on a real place and people.
Belle is French and the setting is France, a real people and a real place.
Jasmine is Arab, and the people of Alladin are based on real people.
Cinderella is European and the story is based in Europe.
Mowgli is Indian, a fictional character based on a real group of people and country.

Ariel is a mermaid. A completely fictional race of humanoid not based on any real humans. If anything, they're based off of stories from horny sailors thinking seaweed covered manatees are hot chicks. If any movie can take liberties of deviation from the original animation, this is the one.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
We all know why they’ve cast someone who isn’t white, but I feel like there’s no reason the character can’t be black either.

Petrae

This is Disney we’re talking about here. Woke queens of the silver screen. Are we really surprised at this?

It won’t matter anyway. The film will make bank and spawn a new line of merch for a company that already has more money than most countries. It might be weird going back to the animated original (or the video games), but maybe Disney will update that, too.

brap

Banned

Wow life looks a lot more squishy than I remember it

the lobster will be played by idris elba in lobsterface
god i missed you

Mulan is set in China and is Chinese, a fiction based on a real place and people.
Belle is French and the setting is France, a real people and a real place.
Jasmine is Arab, and the people of Alladin are based on real people.
Cinderella is European and the story is based in Europe.
Mowgli is Indian, a fictional character based on a real group of people and country.

Belle is a mermaid. A completely fictional race of humanoid not based on any real humans. If anything, they're based off of stories from horny sailors thinking seaweed covered manatees are hot chicks. If any movie can take liberties of deviation from the original animation, this is the one.
Mulan talks to a dragon, Belle fucks a human beast thing, Jasmine fucks around with a lamp and a talking bird, Cinderella fights a dragon, Mowgli talks to animals. None of this shit is real dude. We're talking about disney remaking their cartoons not how accurate it is to boring real life.

juliotendo

Not a big deal. Kids will see this movie and Disney will keep making more cash selling plastic shit made in China to obese fat visitors at their parks in America and worldwide.

But I’m not surprised Disney had ulterior motives with this casting decision:

“She’s cute, young, slim, can sing, AND she’s black! $$$”

Hollywood thinks like this.

Thurible

I don't care, she looks good. The only thing that would bother me is if Disney is casting her specifically because she is a minority and not on her merits.

Manus

A black mermaid just sounds all kind of wrong. I mean aren't they supposed to hate water?

I kid I kid.

Yet another example of ‘we’ll turn any character we want black but you can’t whitewash a character’

Last edited:
This is just wrong. Ariel is an original character that is well established in the ancient Disney library of characters as a white female.

It would feel just as wrong if Captain America was cast as a Japanese man. It would feel just as wrong if Tony Stark/Iron Man were cast as an Indian female.

I'd be so fucking furious if Al Simmons AKA Spawn was cast as anything other than a black man. I'm specifically saying this because I'm looking forward to Jamie Fox's Spawn.

Come on.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow life looks a lot more squishy than I remember it

god i missed you

Mulan talks to a dragon, Belle fucks a human beast thing, Jasmine fucks around with a lamp and a talking bird, Cinderella fights a dragon, Mowgli talks to animals. None of this shit is real dude. We're talking about disney remaking their cartoons not how accurate it is to boring real life.
Yeah you missed the point. The point was that the reasons for keeping the looks of the other characters the same are a lot stronger than Ariel.

Top Bottom