• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ariel cast in live action Little Mermaid Movie

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Like I said in the other thread... Folks went ape crap crazy when the live performance of The Wiz came out on NBC a few years ago and they were like "how could they? What if there was an all white version of the The Wiz?" ... Not knowing that...

A. The Wizard of Oz was an all white production

B. The Wiz is a retelling of The Wizard of Oz and has been on Broadway for decades and was a theatrical movie starring Michael Jackson as The Scarecrow and Diana Ross as Dorothy in the 1970s

Folks have no idea there's already precedent for this. A pretty successful precedent, I might add.

brap

Banned
She is much hotter black anyways
>this is hotter than old mj
OH NO NO NO NO NO AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
zendaya-spider-man-homecoming-michelle.jpg

Dacon

Banned

4 minute musical number with twerk battle with Maleficent go.
The core members of Section 9 including the Major use aliases
And that's remained consistent throughout all iterations (other than the 2017 movie).

The Major's background was meant to be a mystery hence the alias, and until Stand Alone Complex and Arise they didn't delve very deeply,

members don't have surnames or family (except for Togusa's wife and kid, which doesn't count) that would confirm their background (again, other than the 2017 movie). Aramaki uses his real name, and his relatives with the same family name were featured in the manga and anime series.

I remember the panel about the Major using an alias, but I don't remember anything about the rest of them using aliases. Even so, the fact that most of them use distinctly Japanese names, and for the most part look quite asian, to me is pretty telling. I still remember the way Shirow drew that one white woman in Gits lmao.

The demographics of Japan changed with the influx of refugees in the wake of World War 3.

The majority is still implied to be native born Japanese. I would imagine if native born Japanese people were no longer the primary demo, nationalistic parties wouldn't be so prolific a thing in the franchise and there would be more variety in character names in the supporting casts. There's a blurb in the film and the manga somewhere I believe that points out how people are still divided into particular ethnic groups worldwide, so I'd say it's a safe bet that japanese are still the majority in japan, esp in future iterations after the 90s film.

That post ran a little long. I'm not triggered or anything, I just tried to post a complete answer.

No worries, I just come from the perspective of Gits being a very japanese production at heart. Mind you, it's been some time since I read the manga.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
They really should have done this. Fat people need some love too.
o8mNMck.jpg
Doesn't make sense considering she swims all the time. I-I mean it's just a cartoon it doesn't need to make any sense at all.

That boy sure has some nice legs
MV5BMjAxZTk4NDAtYjI3Mi00OTk3LTg0NDEtNWFlNzE5NDM5MWM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTI3MjYwOQ@@._V1_SY1000_SX750_AL_.jpg
She doesn't look anything like that in the movie though.

MJ in the MCU Spider-Man movies is not Mary Jane Watson. She’s Michelle Johnson, Michelle Jones, Michael Jordan or something. I can accept that.
You do realize they just did that so people wouldn't say anything about her being black right? They could've gave her any name in the universe but still gave her the initials MJ.

Last edited:

kegkilla

Banned
Stay mad over a little girls cartoon having a black person in it.

Better yet, whine about it on a video game forum, what an incredible waste of sperm.
Nobody's upset about having a black girl in a shitty Disney movie. I fully support that there should be representation in media so children of different ethnic backgrounds have something to relate to when they watch this garbage. The problem is that when you take an existing white character and make it black, brown, yellow, whatever, you're sending a message that there is something inherently wrong with white culture. If this was an isolated incident, I'd probably be willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt, sure maybe she was just the best person for the role. But it's happened repeatedly with Disney and the political agendas of the organization are so well known that it's hard to believe they're oblivious to their messaging here, and that it's anything but intentional. It's just as important for white kids to be comfortable with and proud of their heritage as anybody else.

So if you ever procreate (doubtful) and your kid grows up to be a self-loathing whitey and ends up joining Antifa or some shit, you can think back to stuffing your fat gullet full of popcorn while watching shit Marvel comic movie #43 and tell yourself that it was all worth it.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
No, I have no intention of watching any of the live action remakes. I just think people who whine about "diversity hires" are clowns.

I couldn't care less if you are going to watch any live action remakes, neither is relevant.

But if you think people who whine about "diversity hires" are clowns, you should see the people who whine about the people who whine about "diversity hires". And all while being dismissive of the "videogame forum" they are using to express their opinion, because apparently you can't have any discussion that is not videogame related. Not even in the offtopic section.

Nobody's upset about having a black girl in a shitty Disney movie. I fully support that there should be representation in media so children of different ethnic backgrounds have something to relate to when they watch this garbage. The problem is that when you take an existing white character and make it black, brown, yellow, whatever, you're sending a message that there is something inherently wrong with white culture. If this was an isolated incident, I'd probably be willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt, sure maybe she was just the best person for the role. But it's happened repeatedly with Disney and the political agendas of the organization are so well known that it's hard to believe they're oblivious to their messaging here, and that it's anything but intentional. It's just as important for white kids to be comfortable with and proud of their heritage as anybody else.

So if you ever procreate (doubtful) and your kid grows up to be a self-loathing whitey and ends up joining Antifa or some shit, you can think back to stuffing your fat gullet full of popcorn while watching shit Marvel comic movie #43 and tell yourself that it was all worth it.
Well then I guess your heritage is being erased. What do you plan on doing about it?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

If you hold this belief, then you were obviously upset at the changing of many... MANY ... Roles from black/Asian/etc to white.

Because that was the message many black and brown kids and adults got from the constant whitewashing in Hollywood for decades... that our cultures weren't important. And yes, we did make our own movies, but they didn't have the reach of Hollywood.

But whatever...

Papa

Banned
Well then I guess your heritage is being erased. What do you plan on doing about it?

I mean we’re on NeoGAF so he will likely do nothing but if you take this mentality out into the real world and launder it through academia, the media, and subsequently mainstream culture, don’t be surprised when there’s a resurgence of white nationalism.

If you hold this belief, then you were obviously upset at the changing of many... MANY ... Roles from black/Asian/etc to white.

Because that was the message many black and brown kids and adults got from the constant whitewashing in Hollywood for decades... that our cultures weren't important. And yes, we did make our own movies, but they didn't have the reach of Hollywood.

But whatever...
I remember when people were unhappy about Bond becoming a blonde thus ruining part of Bond's identity. Craig killed the role.

Teletraan1

Banned
Black MJ doesn't look like that glamour photo in the movies. Her hair is usually crack whore messy and she has an adam's apple and every other cast member has bigger tits than her. Ned especially.

Jon Neu

Banned

But whatever...

I'm sure you are also super upset about the extreme liberal bias of Hollywood and want that changed too.

I mean we’re on NeoGAF so he will likely do nothing but if you take this mentality out into the real world and launder it through academia, the media, and subsequently mainstream culture, don’t be surprised when there’s a resurgence of white nationalism.
/pol/ users supposedly don't leave their rooms so I'm not too concerned.

Silent Duck

You do realize they just did that so people wouldn't say anything about her being black right? They could've gave her any name in the universe but still gave her the initials MJ.
No. It means her character gets killed in the next movie and in the post credit scene Happy Hogan tells Peter that there’s someone named MJ here to see him. Peter rushes out because he thinks Zendaya is still alive, but it turns out to be this one.

vEGIWKK.jpg

Mary Jane Watson, his assistant, from Stark Industries since Happy Hogan is going to be too busy with Aunt May to be bothered with Peter anymore.
Peter gets his “tingle” back and they all live happily ever after... until Peter finds out that Mary Jane is a lesbian (it is Marvel after all). *Price is Right losing horns sound* Then the next reboot is greenlit.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Robots don’t have ethnicities.

A black girl being cast as a white mermaid in a Danish story is exactly the same as a white woman being cast as an asian robot in a Japanese series. Major can be any race or ethnicity and it still wouldnt matter in terms of her overall story. Her being white, black, or asian would have literally no effect on the story that is being told. You made a fuss over nothing. If you dont like the decision then dont watch the movie. The movie wasnt even directed at you in the first place.

Funny how your opinion completely 180s once the actress is black instead of white. It’s almost like you have no actual opinion or thought of your own and just say whatever thing sounds the most pogressive at the time because you’re too busy trying to be woke to have any level of consitency or nuance in opinion, so you just take whatever stance the left-wing hivemind seems to be going with to toe the line.
Pucci is black not Italian. Pucci is a gay black priest.

Here we see how to make it look like you're engaging with someone when in fact, all you're doing is attempting to take one aspect of what they've said and make it about your agenda instead.

Nothing is addressed. It is simply being subverted:

But whatever...
It even starts with "If you hold this belief.." worked into the rhetoric. A sly ultimatum with kafkatrap spice added on top.
What it threatens is: "If you don't accept my misrepresentation of your position then it makes your original position invalid".

This is 1 level up from drive-by hot-takes.
It looks like engagement. But it's just dismissing the position and taking their words to amplify your own.
Moving goalposts whilst insisting no such thing is going on.
It is agenda. Not engagement.
It is societal grifting.

The grifters will use evasion, outrage, victim-play and theatrics.
But they will not give up their grift. They are in too deep and are too invested.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If Pucci is black then why is his stand named Whitesnake and not Blacksnake?

Checkmate, atheists.
Because Araki had a black man hire a KKK man that would take a job from a black man and his crew all looked like asian people.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm sure you are also super upset about the extreme liberal bias of Hollywood and want that changed too.

Some stuff in Hollywood bothers me but I don't think they're very liberal (except half the actors... You'd be surprised how many are conservatives)...

No, I'm upset at the greed in Hollywood, which knows no political allegiance. Money, money and more money. That's what the execs think about and desire.

You think they trumpeted Halle's being chosen as Ariel because execs are SJWs? Dude ... They are banking on the controversy!

The casting director, director and producer probably made a great choice (I like her... she's hecka talented) but make no mistakes... Them announcing her was calculated. This creates buzz. Negative AND positive!

Just like the announcement of Black Panther as a stand alone movie. Just like A Wrinkle in Time (still haven't seen it but heard it can go either way for individual viewers). Just like casting Daniel Craig as James Bond. Just like many other movies where something is changed.

The Last Airbender changed the races of all the characters... And it flopped! Mostly because it was BAD but also because of the racebending. Made the heroes white and the bad guys (except for Iroh) brown people. And they made the Earthbenders look WEAK!

Honestly, it can go either way with the castings as long as the story is good (it wasn't for the Female Ghostbusters movie)... But sometimes even a good story isn't enough.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
lol big tits don't count if they're fat

Also it's hilarious how it looks like the wave is actually the splash from her fat ass diving in.

Dude... Have you seen a big girl with little breasts? I have. It's jarring! And it's pretty common. I like bigguns.

But I like women in many shapes. Even if they weigh 200lbs. Which doesn't even look like 200 on some women.

Top Bottom