• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ariel cast in live action Little Mermaid Movie

Silent Duck

LG6dpfA.jpg

Hmmmm...

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

From those articles:

The representation of different ethnicities on screen is rarely discussed publicly. Stereotypes about black people are common.
Black Panther, hailed as a Hollywood milestone for its casting, was a big hit in China last year. But it had prompted both subtle and overtly racist comments on the Chinese internet during its run.

When the superhero film “Black Panther” was released in China last year, the Hollywood blockbuster prompted debate over attitudes toward race in China, a country where fair skin is often prized. Though the movie drew racist comments from some, others suggested the film would “heighten awareness of race among domestic audiences.”

Chu Mufeng, a Beijing-based film critic, told Sixth Tone that Disney has embraced diversity with its casting of Asian and black actors, referring to releases such as “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” and “Spider-Man: Homecoming.” “If the actor does a good job and is suitable for the role, there is nothing wrong [with casting them],” he said. “We should not perpetuate stereotypes.”

China has a problem with any ethnicity that isn't fair skinned, white or Chinese. Of course they have a problem with this casting.

China has a problem with any ethnicity that isn't fair skinned, white or Chinese. Of course they have a problem with this casting.
This is how you make a protected class: You label criticism of the class as an 'ism' or a 'phobia' or simply 'hate'.
Now whatever the topic is, any criticism will be conveniently mislabelled, dismissed and you can smear anyone who expressed criticism and pressure others to never criticise for fear of the same.

Far easier than having to actually have a conversation or accept diversity of viewpoints whilst you demand your viewpoints be accepted by others.

The societal grift at work.

Last edited:

Sacred

From those articles:

Look at this guy strawmanning his way through any form of criticism. Tokenism is the best way to put what is going on here.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Look at this guy strawmanning his way through any form of criticism. Tokenism is the best way to put what is going on here.
Nah he or she is actually quite correct. I mean China legit photoshops black people out of posters or make them smaller. There's an argument to be made.

Kagey K

Banned
She goes "how come they don't do this with Mulan or Pocohontas?", I said because they are non-white minorities and you don't race change those characters.

I'm sure if they cast Bella Thorne as Princess Tiana for a live action remake of The Princess and the Frog there would be no backlash. They are just fictional characters after all. Right? ...Right? :messenger_hushed:

JCK75

Red hair and fair skin make sense when you live deep under the ocean, people evolved to have these traits living in conditions where they saw very little direct sunlight. I'd imagine one would not have a ton of melanin spending your days in dark ocean trenches.
I have no deep love for the Little Mermaid, the girl they picked is gorgeous and talented and it doesn't bother me in the slightest... HOWEVER.... I notice how these things are just used as a trap to treat people like shit for no reason. Nerdist or similar sites will post something
about it on Social media, NOBODY says a negative word but there are 200 comments about how racist anyone who takes issue with it is.

Is it really racist to be annoyed by Woke race swaps of established ginger characters? if you think it is, you're an idiot.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This is “diversity” right? Well, even black people doesn’t like it. I mean why not make a new black character instead of changing the original. This lad said it all

So, because some black people (mostly black men, it seems) don't like it, then that's indicative of ... A majority? I'm seeing the opposite elsewhere.

Mista

Banned
So, because some black people (mostly black men, it seems) don't like it, then that's indicative of ... A majority? I'm seeing the opposite elsewhere.
Some or most it doesn’t matter. Original characters MUST NOT be changed. If they’re so addicted to diversity they can simply make a new character and make it black. Why the fuck change original shit in the first place? What are they gonna do tomorrow? Change Snow White and make her black? Just go and make new black characters and that’s it

Nymphae

Banned
I'm sure if they cast Bella Thorne as Princess Tiana for a live action remake of The Princess and the Frog there would be no backlash. They are just fictional characters after all. Right? ...Right? :messenger_hushed:

I would be equally critical of original black characters being race swapped. I think there just needs to be more original work being done. There would be less outrage if Disney just dropped a new character in a new movie, but maybe that's part of the point.

Last edited:
It's just... that... they are 100% doing this because they know it'll be controversial and confusing. So when people get annoyed or outraged, "woke" people can post, "OMG I cant believe people are outraged, they must all be racist. IM NOT racist see, I want to see this movie now, see how not racist I am?!".

Yet it's completely fine having a 50 page thread about how Emma Watson cannot play Belle because her eyebrows are too thick. People complain about characters not looking identical to their designs all the time, but now people can't say a single word because if you do you are a dirty racist.

And also, everyone is ok with Live Action Disney movies as long as its pushing their narrative... just make original Disney Princess chars.

I would be equally critical of original black characters being race swapped. I think there just needs to be more original work being done. There would be less outrage if Disney just dropped a new character in a new movie, but maybe that's part of the point.

Also I'm so curious if like Disney were to make Mulan black in the live action movie. What would the outrage look like... also, make Tiana an Indian princess.

Last edited:

Da-Kid

It's very telling that the majority of people who disdain representation of all people always happen to be white.

Very telling.

Kenpachii

It's very telling that the majority of people who disdain representation of all people always happen to be white.

Very telling.

Lol go to africa and tell me how not racist black people are there. If you think white people are racist you didn't experience much.

Hell if you are black and western they will call you akata ( cotton picker ) all day long, and if you are white its white boy all day long.

Unless you think black people can't be racist, then yea white people are indeed more racist because they are the only ones that can be racist.

So either way it's a idiotic statement.

Last edited:

Da-Kid

This is “diversity” right? Well, even black people doesn’t like it. I mean why not make a new black character instead of changing the original. This lad said it all

Some or most it doesn’t matter. Original characters MUST NOT be changed. If they’re so addicted to diversity they can simply make a new character and make it black. Why the fuck change original shit in the first place? What are they gonna do tomorrow? Change Snow White and make her black? Just go and make new black characters and that’s it

I like how you use one person to generalize an opinion of black people, then immediately back pedal with "Some or most don't matter". When someone tears your whole statement down with basic sense. It shows how much your arguments don't have a stitch of logic or common sense in it.

Last edited:

Da-Kid

Lol go to africa and tell me how not racist black people are there. If you think white people are racist you didn't experience much.

Hell if you are black and western they will call you akata ( cotton picker ) all day long, and if you are white its white boy all day long.

Unless you think black people can't be racist, then yea white people are indeed more racist because they are the only ones that can be racist.

So either way it's a idiotic statement.
Not an idiot statement at all. All people of color know how habitually racist white people can be. That's not saying no other race of people can't be racist. But white people are just KNOWN to be more than any other.

GreyHorace

Very telling.
I'm Filipino and I hate shoehorned diversity and representation in any media. And yes, there is an argument to be made against this sort of thing that doesn't involve racism at all.

And as someone mentioned, other nationalities can be just as racist. You should hear the way us Filipinos denigrate the Chinese, Japanese and Indians. To elevate white caucasians brand of racism above others is pretty racist in itself.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I like how you use one person to generalize an opinion of black people, then immediately back pedal with "Some or most don't matter". When someone tears your whole statement down with basic sense. It shows how much your arguments don't have a stitch of logic or common sense in it.
Exactly how you did it yourself in the post under???? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 .. I wanna see Black Panther getting changed to a white or brown character and see your reaction after it. Exactly.....

Very telling.

mcjmetroid

Also I'm so curious if like Disney were to make Mulan black in the live action movie. What would the outrage look like... also, make Tiana an Indian princess.

You know exactly the outrage that would happen from that.
It's only ok to change it if they're white.

Imagine if for instance they made a "blade" remake and cast a white person as blade.
and

The representation of different ethnicities on screen is rarely discussed publicly. Stereotypes about black people are common.
Black Panther, hailed as a Hollywood milestone for its casting, was a big hit in China last year. But it had prompted both subtle and overtly racist comments on the Chinese internet during its run.

HOW? There has been black people as leads in successful movies before....Like Blade for instance had 3 movies and was relatively successful and you know what didn't happen when Blade was released - People weren't commenting on "Oh Wow a black lead how progressive". We just loved Blade because he was a cool character regardless of race. Also what else were they going to do when casting Black Panther?

Similar to when Aliens was released. Now we have captain Marvel and everyone is treating it as some sort of revolution for women. Fuck me we have regressed.

Last edited:

Zangiefy360

Banned

Very telling.

It's very telling that the majority of people who demand representation at the expense of other races always happen to be black.

Very telling.

Described in the books as a pale red head, gets cast as a black girl. I mean if they're going to reenvision The Little Mermaid that's fine, but we all know they're not doing that. They're literally using this beautiful young lady as a means to push their woke agenda. I hope she does well in the movie, because I have a feeling some diehard liberals are about to lose their shit if she ends up being bad for the part.

cryptoadam

Banned
Dagnabbit! LOL!

I've seen it plenty of times.

And it bombed. Go woke and go broke. All though it probably bombed because they had MJ standing around like a fool instead of dancing up a storm. I mean its MJ and instead of busting out all his best moves he is stuck on a stick barely moving.

Another example might be I am Legend which had almost no backlash that I can remember. Neville has always been portrayed as a white man in the books and subsequent films. Yet from my memory no one seemed to care that Smith was playing the main character and he was even called the best part of the film by critics.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's just... that... they are 100% doing this because they know it'll be controversial and confusing.
They are doing it because in some shape or form this is getting them the most money.

I'm currently reading the book "The Power of Habit" and among many things it details how many numbers these companies collect. Apparently Disney sends gift bags to hospitals for new mothers because through various statistics they learned that this will make them spend them more money for Disney products later on. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. The numbers those companies collect are absolutely insane.

So believe me when I say that Disney did their work and this road is what is getting them the most money at the end of the day. They don't give a flying fuck about being woke and even if the movie bombs at the end of the day this MUST be how they're getting the most $$$ because otherwise they would not do it. Period.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
And it bombed. Go woke and go broke. All though it probably bombed because they had MJ standing around like a fool instead of dancing up a storm. I mean its MJ and instead of busting out all his best moves he is stuck on a stick barely moving.

Another example might be I am Legend which had almost no backlash that I can remember. Neville has always been portrayed as a white man in the books and subsequent films. Yet from my memory no one seemed to care that Smith was playing the main character and he was even called the best part of the film by critics.

No wokeness back then. LOL! It was a stage musical long before it was a movie. And it likely bombed because of advertising. It's a cult classic nowadays.

Yeah, I Am Legend had nearly none (I remember some but it was short lived). I'm not sitting through that snorefest again. Same with the one with Will and Jaden. SNOREFEST!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
One thing I hated about the Dumbo remake is that it focused more on the people and not enough (IMO) on Dumbo and the other animals.

cryptoadam

Banned
No wokeness back then. LOL! It was a stage musical long before it was a movie. And it likely bombed because of advertising. It's a cult classic nowadays.

Yeah, I Am Legend had nearly none (I remember some but it was short lived). I'm not sitting through that snorefest again. Same with the one with Will and Jaden. SNOREFEST!

I think it bombed because it didn't use its cast properly. Like I said MJ should of been more front and center and dancing all over the place. Its FN Micheal Jackson one of the greatest dancers and singers of our time. Put the man all over the place. Also Diana Ross another powerhouse kinda played it way to low key. One song was just her standing in front of a black background singing like she was sleeping.

You have Diana Ross and MJ, use your stars!

I am legend wasn't too bad for a 2000's Zombie movie. It wasn't 28 days later or Sean of the Dead but Will was pretty decent in it. After Earth though, dog garbage.

Zangiefy360

Banned
One thing I hated about the Dumbo remake is that it focused more on the people and not enough (IMO) on Dumbo and the other animals.

I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely adored the Dumbo remake. It took a risk by focusing on the people, but I think that was the right call since it was live action. It makes a perfect companion to the cartoon.

kunonabi

It should have focused on Dumbo and Eva Green. You could have Dumbo serve to ease the loss of a child in Eva's past and she would serve as a motherly influence for Dumbo with them taking to the skies to perform as a way to escape their servitude and grief. They had way more chemistry than Dumbo had with the kids in a fraction of the screen time and we wouldnt have to waste time with the kids' nothing storylines and the girl's complete inability to act.

There is a good movie in there which is why it sucks that it doesnt live up to its potential. Still, it's the second best Disney remake regardless.

Top Bottom