• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane explains why new Prey is still called "Prey"

From the game's director:
We spoke about the subject with Raphael Colantonio at QuakeCon this past weekend, and he says that the thematic elements are similar enough for the games to share the name.

"Well it was a matter of, first of all it's hard to find a name for a game, and it's a good name--sounds good," he says. "I think the association that people have about Prey is that it's about aliens on a space station, and it's a first-person game. When we were done with Dishonored, part of the team did Dishonored 2, and the other part [of Arkane]... we wanted to do another one of those games that we usually do, which are in first-person, with depth and simulation and narration, all that.
"This time we wanted to make it on a space station, with aliens, and you had to survive with the full ecology, etc. As we started it, the name was available, and the connections were easy to be made. We just thought, 'Okay, makes sense,' so there we go."

He adds, "[T]he high level concept is similar enough that it made sense to do that."

Previously, Colantonio said that the new Prey has no direct connection to 2006's Prey. "Prey is not a sequel. It's not a remake. It has no tie with the original," he said in a video. "You have to look at it like a reimagining of the idea."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pr...n-unrelated/1100-6442447/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

ViciousDS

Banned
"This time we wanted to make it on a space station, with aliens, and you had to survive with the full ecology, etc.

They could still have done this with the original Prey 2 concept which looked fantastic as being a bounty hunter.

Being there for that live demo at PAX years ago was such an experience and everyone was amazed by the original concept and loved it. I'm not so sure on this new envisioning of it.

Tonky

it's hard to find a name for a game, and it's a good name--sounds good
So this is how they justify using the "Prey" title for a game that bears no semblance to the original. Mine as well have called it Half-Life, that "sounds good" too

So this is how they justify using the "Prey" title for a game that bears no semblance to the original. Mine as well have called it Half-Life, that "sounds good" too

Except, you know, they don't own Half-Life.

As frustrating as the whole Prey ordeal is, Bethesda can do with the name what they want.

It's also kind of silly to get on Arkane, who had nothing to do with all the behind the scenes garbage that went on with Prey 2.

Composer

Absolutely disappointing response. The original Prey was an amazing take on Sci-fi, Aliens, and Native American mythos. It was a really fun and unique mash, with fantastic story telling. The gameplay was filled with amazing twists (first ever portals, gravity switches, and world-shrinking/growing). This..this is just sounds like bullshit.

AgeEighty

"Our game won't sell as well unless it's a sequel of some kind, and what series is out there that kinda has aliens and stuff? Prey? Our game doesn't have most of the same things, but eh... close enough. Who gives a shit."

BibiMaghoo

"Our game won't sell as well unless it's a sequel of some kind, and what series is out there that kinda has aliens and stuff? Prey? Our game doesn't have most of the same things, but eh... close enough. Who gives a shit."

Do you really think the brand carries much selling power? I don't. It's more well known for the fuckery around it's making than anything else. I'm not convinced it was chosen as a means to sell the game on it's heritage.

Imagine if they did this for Final Fantasy.

"No, it's not Final Fantasy 15, it's Final Fantasy. It's not a sequel. It is not a remake. It has no ties to the past 14. You have to look at it when you're stoned, and imagine the first 14 aren't in existence."

Mr. Tibbs

original.png

They had to quadruple their team size.
sandbox_Arkane-Austin-Team-2012_850.jpeg

You know considering a lot of the enemies camouflage themselves, they could have just said, "Well, You're the Prey!". Cheesy I know, but it's more charismatic than just saying that it sounded cool.

Nzyme32

I'm down with it regardless. I've got Prey, and it's fun enough but not something I crave a sequel for or feel is so close to people that they massively care about it, despite the weirdness of doing this in the first place.

So far this Prey seems to fit the name, and that name and the drama tied to it makes it surprisingly memorable, which I'm sure they considered and are happy with. Looking forward to hearing more, since Arkane have yet to disappoint me too much and the concept so far seems interesting

I do. It was fantastic and is still criminally underrated.

Eh I think the game is rated right where it needs to be. A game that took forever to be made and when it finally came out it only had a couple good ideas and a so-so story.

Basically the name is being used because marketing dollars were already spent to get the ip known in people's minds.

The difference being no one cares about the original Prey.

These threads have shown anything but. I can't say I understand it, as the first one was a decent but unremarkable game, but there seems to be a lot of latent fondness for the first one.

Now, I think they probably could have found a different name, went ahead and still subliminally marketed it as a System Shock successor, and avoided all of this "But what about the first Prey?" bullshit they've run into. But I guess they they thought that the naming rights were actually a boon.

They can call it what they want, but it's bound to receive awkward questions about it's relation to the original Prey and the cancelled sequel.

It sounds like a reboot, but I can't help but feel they should give the game a subtitle of some-kind to differentiate the two games.

The new game may be in a similar vein, but the cancelled sequel is what is stimulating the questions of it's relation to the original.

atr0cious

Must suck knowing your game will be overshadowed by superior concept and execution in a project that never made it out of alpha. Fuck bethesda.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Some of you won't be satisfied until Arkane publicly slams Bethesda for its business practices.

They're making the most of a messy situation presented to them.

Some of you won't be satisfied until Arkane publicly slams Bethesda for its business practices.

I think people won't be satisfied until Bethesda owns up to it, or is forced to.

Portman

It better have portals, because that like the one defining feature of Prey since 1997

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdyavnsGVSk

:D

Always glad to see the original mentioned. In hindsight I think of that demo video from so many years ago like the Duke Nukem Forever videos we saw over the years. Cool potential and then it just disappeared only to show back up.

Bugs me that they're calling it that but at the same time I can overlook it if the game is actually good. And I am interested in the setting at least.

AgeEighty

Do you really think the brand carries much selling power? I don't. It's more well known for the fuckery around it's making than anything else. I'm not convinced it was chosen as a means to sell the game on it's heritage.

I think it carries more selling power than a completely unknown game does. But quite honestly, the fact that they would take the old game's name to use on a brand new game despite the fact that it carries minimal cultural cachet makes it more of a dick move.

KissVibes

Banned
You have to look at it like a reimagining of the idea

What idea? That there is a game with aliens in it? Beyond that and being in outer-space the ideas are completely different for both games!

Fisty

Arkane did pretty damn well with a new IP last time, i think they can sell a game regardless of that. And its not like Joe Casual would even know what the hell Prey is anyway. Its just a reboot based on the potential of the concept that the original devs werent able to realize, for whatever reason. That is a really good name though.

jediyoshi

Basically all they needed to say instead of rambling haha

Usually when games use the same name, they append something like a distinct number at the end of it to distinguish it from the last title in the series. Games using the same name isn't something new, otherwise the upcoming mainline Final Fantasy would be called Final Fantasy and that logic could still somehow justify it.

LewieP

I'm sure the game will be great, but I don't really believe that the decision came from Arkane, it was far more likely to have been a Bethesda decision.

Fury451

Banned
Usually when games use the same name, they append something like a distinct number at the end of it to distinguish it from the last title in the series. Games using the same name isn't something new, otherwise the upcoming mainline Final Fantasy would be called Final Fantasy and that logic could still somehow justify it.

True, but the last few years have been the era of the soft/total reboot.

Tomb Raider

DOOM

Mortal Kombat (9)

etc.

It's been long enough that calling it Prey would be fine, but I suppose a main difference is that as of now this appears to have absolutely zero to do with that game on the surface.

If it was a Bethesda mandate, I'm not sure the name Prey really carries any significant brand recognition. A gamer who was let's say 10, when it released would be about 20/21 now, and I'm not sure how integral Prey was to their gaming development.

Fury451

Banned

For some companies yeah. Bethesda is like at least as bad as EA but without the bad press, so it seems to go ignored for some reason.

Saying the previous concept was superior is probably a true statement yeah, but development is complicated and development under scummy companies is worse. That doesn't automatically mean Arkane's product won't be worth playing though is all I'm saying. Seems like they put a lot of effort into it and Bethesda slapped the title on it, so I guess if Bethesda's actions are enough to prevent someone from buying I wouldn't argue.

Uh yeah. Why would we be satisfied with less? We demand absolute transparency, disclosure, and for shitty business practices to be publicly ridiculed.

Top Bottom