• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane reveals that the fan theories are true, Deathloop is set in the Dishonored universe

Bragr

Banned
Fans have been finding clues throughout the game for a while now, and while it's always just been speculation, the developer just confirmed that yes, it's set in the Dishonored universe, and those worlds should be considered as one fleshing out the other.

Some of the clues include similar furniture designs, weapons that you get at the end of the game that is identical to Dishonored weapons, to a distorted song from Dishonored playing on the radio. One of the shotguns even has a Dishonored easter egg in the form of Dunwall Tower on the side of it.

Will this information make Deathloop even more fun to play for a newcomer?

200w.gif

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’m not sure why developers do this. As some sort of trick to the customer. If only you were clever enough to notice the tiny detail on the gun stock, that we only added an animation in recently to allow you to see it.

Seems a bit retconned to me.

“On the side there is a little logo that you can barely see, but now that we've added idle breaks where the character plays with his gun, you can actually see that the logo is Dunwall Tower. So it's pretty clear!"

lol what, now we’ve added the idle breaks you can see it. So it’s pretty clear, you guys haven’t noticed this for years and we are so clever.

Game Show Genius GIF by ABC Network

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Well i loved the Dishonored games, but i never wanted to play Deathloop, respawning on the same map over and over like a deathmatch game, so i'm just not seeing it myself apart from it's Arkane making the games.

SpokkX

Cool. I am 10 hours + into Deathloop and I WASTLY prefer this to the Dishonored games - did not expect that as I really liked those games

It has a way more fun progression system and I love that the game really has a unique structure. Otherwise it plays very much like Dishonored so this is not really unexpected

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Cool. I am 10 hours + into Deathloop and I WASTLY prefer this to the Dishonored games - did not expect that as I really liked those games

It has a way more fun progression system and I love that the game really has a unique structure. Otherwise it plays very much like Dishonored so this is not really unexpected

You and the 3 other people who prefer Deathloop over Dishonored should hang out.

SJRB

Gold Member
How does that work? Is it the Dishonored world's equivalent to the 1970s?

Dishonored was like a pseudo Victorian era type culture.

Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever unless Dishonored takes place like 150 years earlier or something.

Not to mention all kinds of fundamental principles of logic from either game are completely missing in the other.

If any, this divalues both games and makes the lore of either one nonsensical in some way.

kiphalfton

I’m not sure why developers do this. As some sort of trick to the customer. If only you were clever enough to notice the tiny detail on the gun stock, that we only added an animation in recently to allow you to see it.

“On the side there is a little logo that you can barely see, but now that we've added idle breaks where the character plays with his gun, you can actually see that the logo is Dunwall Tower. So it's pretty clear!"

lol what, now we’ve added the idle breaks you can see it. So it’s pretty clear, you guys haven’t noticed this for years and we are so clever.

Yeah kind of like the Disney interconnected universe bullshit in Little Mermaid, Tarzan, and Frozen. I'm sure that was all planned.

This is probably more stupid though, since they could have simply attributed it to being an Easter egg.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever unless Dishonored takes place like 150 years earlier or something.
That's apparently the case, there are some Dishonored items in Deathloop referred to as "museum pieces", so it seems it's some far-flung future or something of the kind.

Since Redfall a GAAS I hope they bring in charscters like CoLt and Juliana in DLC or add ons. I’m sure they’re all in the same verse so that would be cool.

mdkirby

Deathloop was a pretty decent game. Just not as good as prey or dishonoured. Sadly from comments from the studio, we’ll never get an immersive sim prey/dishonoured type game from them again, with them preferring to experiment with things like deathloop instead.

So whilst I’m sure I’ll like their new games, I hope some ex arcane staff pick up the torch.

tommib

You and the 3 other people who prefer Deathloop over Dishonored should hang out.
That would be me. Could never get into the Dishonored games and hated Prey.

I was smiling through the whole playthrough of Deathloop out of joy. Fun, arcadey, colourful and with wonderful voice acting and music. People say that the AI is brain dead, I just think that the whole thing was made for you to have fun and explore the maps without the “oh so serious and fedora clever chin-stroking” vibe of the Dishonored games.

part of me feels like Arkane didn’t think much of the world outside of Blackreef when they made the game and this is just kind of retconning a lot of stuff.

Hugare

I was smiling through the whole playthrough of Deathloop out of joy. Fun, arcadey, colourful and with wonderful voice acting and music. People say that the AI is brain dead, I just think that the whole thing was made for you to have fun and explore the maps without the “oh so serious and fedora clever chin-stroking” vibe of the Dishonored games.
Also hated Prey?

denzel washington GIF

I love Dishonored tho. Second one is a materpiece in level design.

People hate Deathloop due to those overrated scores at launch and 1 year exclusive deal.

It's a great game. Not 10/10, sure, but great.

About the topic: they made it pretty clear when you literally pick a weapon from Dishonored at the ending of the game.

How obvious was that?

Last edited:

manfestival

I feel so sorry for you.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

TheGecko

Banned
Yeh but have they told us the gender and sexual preference of the main character? I won't play it until they do.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I figured, the game has a few assets that look like they're lifted from those games already. Glad to see it officially confirmed.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

100% agree. It was designed like that to be a slick and stylish game where AI was meant to be predictable each run. I don’t understand how people…..don’t understand that 😂.

It’s a very cool game and Arkane are a super talented developer that MS have unfortunately (for PS fans) made exclusive to PC and Xbox for the foreseeable future.

Puscifer

It's not retconned exactly, but I see why you'd say that. The game has had enough hints pointing towards scientists discovering the same artifacts and playing around with them. They could've just left it as such and moved on.

MrA

Banned
Next up naughty dog reveals las of us in the same universe as way of the warrior and rings of power

I really don't get all the hate for this game, I am over 10hrs in and really enjoying it. It's interesting and making discoveries is rewarding.
I absolutely love the game really don’t get the hate at all - so the AI isn’t great, it’s really not that type of game

I really do hope they can do a next gen collection of the three dishonored games, given that Arkane is probably not going to make a new one very soon.

The Dishonored games are just in the class of their own, the art style, the gameplay, the settings are just all so memorable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Deathloop was a fun game and I am glad that Xbox players will get to experience it. It was a solid 7/10 experience for me. It could have been higher if there had been multiple paths to reach the end goal. That was what held it back for me, is that it was a rather linear experience when all was said and done.

All you haters can kiss my ass. Play the game!

Also hated Prey?

denzel washington GIF

I love Dishonored tho. Second one is a materpiece in level design.

People hate Deathloop due to those overrated scores at launch and 1 year exclusive deal.

It's a great game. Not 10/10, sure, but great.

About the topic: they made it pretty clear when you literally pick a weapon from Dishonored at the ending of the game.

How obvious was that?

No. People hate death loop because it's a heavily mediocre game, repetitive as hell, poorly designed, and utterly forgettable.

Robb

Gold Member
I can see it.

Although I’m still not sure how I feel about the game.. the residium gathering is not clicking with me. I want more powers and freedom like in Dishonored. Not sure I’ll have the patience to finish it at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom