• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane Studios (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah) is working with 2k Marin on Bioshock 2 !

snoopers

I am multitalented
Breaking ! http://www.arkane-studios.com/uk/home.php

Arkane Studios is pleased to announce its collaboration with 2K Marin and contributions to Bioshock 2 in the areas of design, animation and art. We're excited about this game, which underscores Arkane Studios' core values.

I think it's an excellent news, the guys at Arkane are killers when it comes to the art department. And they're french :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As someone who really enjoyed Dark Messiah, and thought the levels made gorgeous use of the Source engine, I support this endeavour.

Isn't Digital Extremes working on the multiplayer for this game? That's, what, 3 studios helping out with the production of this game? Looks like it's going to be another splash-screen marathon before I can actually play a Bioshock game : /

Cheech

EatChildren said:
As someone who really enjoyed Dark Messiah, and thought the levels made gorgeous use of the Source engine, I support this endeavour.

I liked this one as well, but it was the buggiest console game I've played since Pirates of the Caribbean for the Xbox. I never did complete the game because all my saves got corrupted by some bug. Right at the last level, too. No matter which save I used, the game crashed at the same point.

Victrix

*beard*
Not thrilled or enthused about Bioshock 2

Not happy about Arkane having their original game put on hold, I loved Arx, and DMM was great. I want to see them do more original work.

But if this keeps them in business, good.

Joni

It could be worse. Didn't the Super Smash Bros. Brawl team consist out of 14 seperate teams? And the PS3 version of the original was made by four teams.

Joni said:
It could be worse. Didn't the Super Smash Bros. Brawl team consist out of 14 seperate teams? And the PS3 version of the original was made by four teams.
Smash isn't quite the same; it was more that its main team was assembled specifically for the game. The personnel came from different places, but it's not like there were a bunch of separate studios all coordinating together.

And BioShock PS3 isn't a good example. BioShock, the underlying game, was made by 2K Boston/Australia, like all the games by the people formerly called Irrational Games. It was then ported by a collaboration between Digital Extremes and 2K Marin, but the game itself was not created by four studios.
Masta_Killah said:
Eh, lots of publishers assign multiple devs on an ip. Not really news.
The reason you know publishers often assign multiple devs is because it's reported in the news. Of course this is news.

Phthisis

BioShock 2 is being developed by: 2K Marin, Digital Extremes, and Arkane Studios. That's an awful lot of bodies.

Chris Remo said:
The reason you know publishers often assign multiple devs is because it's reported in the news. Of course this is news.

Its only news to you because its Bioshock. This is common in the industry.

FlyinJ said:
With support from 2K Boston as well.
I'm not so sure about that.
Masta_Killah said:
Its only news to you because its Bioshock. This is common in the industry.
I didn't say it's not common. Games being developed by ANYBODY is common. That doesn't make it not news. Games being given release dates is common. That doesn't make it not news.

Ricker

Loved Arx Fatalis...with that many studios(people) working on the game,let's hope it's not a 6 hour game...

Spoo

If they need the help, great -- they should get whatever they think they need to bring a complete product to the table.

I think -- and honestly, this is purely speculation on my part -- that BioShock 2 was basically shown off at a *very* early stage (remember that even the main character's design was temporary); they probably bit off more than they could chew for their target date in terms of assets (probably not programming effort; they started with a solid engine and 2K Aus was probably pumping updates into the engine in between the Bioshock-Bioshock 2 transition, as well as for whatever project Boston is kicking around).

Arkane Studios is probably a good pick too, I think it's always a good thing when you have another (talented) studio involved; it means you'll have more creative back-and-forth probably.

Sean

Banned
Might just be me, but hearing that four different studios are working on the game is kind of a turn-off to me. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does anyone think it's strange how quiet it is on this game? The first one had a ton of E3 buzz and this game went completely ignored. Was it there?

Top Bottom