• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane Studios is hiring for an unannounced AAA project

Hudo

I just want a spiritual successor to Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. I still play that game from time to time, best first-person combat I have experienced and it still holds up.

DJT123

Shut your ass :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Also dishonored is far from a pure stealth game, you can play the game with any approach.

Sometimes you are forced to. I was all out of non-lethal takedown methods (tranq darts, stun ammo) in Deus Ex & had to eliminate 2 guys at the docks. Cold-blooded assassination (climbing onto a nearby shack roof, crouching down and headshotting two fools with a 10mm pistol like a ninja from far away) never felt so good.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sometimes you are forced to. I was all out of non-lethal takedown methods (tranq darts, stun ammo) in Deus Ex & had to eliminate 2 guys at the docks. Cold-blooded assassination (climbing onto a roof, crouching down and headshotting two fools with a 10mm pistol like a ninja) never felt so good.
I kill everyone during stealth when i play these games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes, i love immersive sims.

Dishonored was the only saga where i didn't killed everyone everytime because you get the negative ending by doing that.
It was same with Metro: Last Light I believe, pretty tough to get the good ending...

DJT123

Yes, i love immersive sims.

Dishonored was the only saga where i didn't killed everyone everytime because you get the negative ending by doing that.
I remember that. It had such a nice story, there was a sense of melancholy about the Queen the whole time.

GymWolf

I remember that. It had such a nice story, there was a sense of melancholy about the Queen the whole time.
The story itself was pretty weak but the world building was first class, people today act like tlou2 invented world building just because you can find some poorly written notes and some bodies here and there... both prey and dishonored shat on it from great heights...

DJT123

The story itself was pretty weak but the world building was first class, people today act like tlou2 invented world building just because you can find some poorly written notes and some bodies here and there... both prey and dishonored shat on it from great heights...

Yeah, that's what living, breathing worlds are all about, not moving from shallow set-piece to set-piece. If games journalists knew how to engage with different gameplay systems, think and improvise, maybe they'd discover that too.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Come on, Prey 2!
Both Prey 2 and Dishonored 3
Prey 2 or something similar please!!!
Prey deserved a sequel.
It may as well be since Arkane Austin(the guys who made Prey) seems to be working on the new tutle.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm, if it is Dishonored or Prey, you think they'll make it exclusive to Xbox?

Last edited:

Hudo

Make a spirital successor to Dark Messiah already! Or, if you can somehow work out a deal with Ubi, make a Dark Messiah II.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Really curious why he was so important? I love the games they put out so please tell me why he matter so much? Thanks

No idea since the current game he and his studio Wolfeye studios are currently working on looks like hot garbage to me.

johntown

Banned
No idea since the current game he and his studio Wolfeye studios are currently working on looks like hot garbage to me.

Yeah your right. Looks like Harvey Smith was the main creative director for their games.

Tsukumo

Really curious why he was so important? I love the games they put out so please tell me why he matter so much? Thanks
Just look at the difference between Dishonored 2 and Prey and you'll see the light. Dishonored 2 was exceptional in terms of game design and level design, but was also one of the most lifeless narrative experiences ever made. While Prey retained all the narrative qualities of the first Dishonored game, one of my favorite games of all times.
Smith is one of those game designers who just doesn't understand how to tell a story but insists on writing them anyway. Colantonio on the other hand made a game where the focus of the entire design is on the story. That on top of the fact he's the one who came up with the melee combat design of the Dishonored games, which are the only fps with a solid hand to hand combat ever made. A combat system I would really like to see across all of Bethesda fps catalogue.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This sounds encouraging. Please be Prey 2

Edit I decided to look Harvey Smith up and checked out his photo. I met him at E3 a couple of years ago and chatted with him a bit after a talk he gave about Death of the outsider. Really nice down to earth guy. He told me at the time he was burnt out on Dishonored. He said didn't work on Prey so hopefully he's not burnt out on that game and will make us a nice new Prey 2. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
For every one of you creating the latest thread going on about "this game is shallow as f...", buy shit like this when it comes out. This, Hitman, Dark Souls, Sekiro, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Prey, ...

It's all crafted game design centric shit you'll love if you respect the fact you can't really achieve it unless you spend your money differently from the guys giving you shiny graphics...

If you spend less on graphics and more on design the game comes out more complex. If you spend less on world building you achieve graphics but boo hoo, no one in the game talks past monologues exposing directions! It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

driqe

For every one of you creating the latest thread going on about "this game is shallow as f...", buy shit like this when it comes out. This, Hitman, Dark Souls, Sekiro, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Prey, ...

It's all crafted game design centric shit you'll love if you respect the fact you can't really achieve it unless you spend your money differently from the guys giving you shiny graphics...

If you spend less on graphics and more on design the game comes out more complex. If you spend less on world building you achieve graphics but boo hoo, no one in the game talks past monologues exposing directions! It's not rocket science.
This. It really sucked to see how poorly Prey sold.

Arachnid

Yep

I really don't get Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs selling the way they do when gems like Prey or Evil Within 2 undersell. It's a cruel, stupid world in gaming,

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Come on, Prey 2!
Both Prey 2 and Dishonored 3
Prey 2 or something similar please!!!
Prey deserved a sequel.
i PRAY that it is PREY 2
I'm halfway through Prey and despite the odd glitches here and there I'd buy a sequel on day one.
This sounds encouraging. Please be Prey 2
Still hoping it's Prey 2
It seems to be something else
unknown.png

Also they seem to be ditching CryEngine in favor of UE4.
Please be Arx Fatalis 2.
Well Arx Fatalis was an immersive sim so....
Otherside fucked that game up.
I'd rather just see a sequel to Arx Fatalis. There's so much that can be done there.
I just want a spiritual successor to Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. I still play that game from time to time, best first-person combat I have experienced and it still holds up.
Make a spirital successor to Dark Messiah already! Or, if you can somehow work out a deal with Ubi, make a Dark Messiah II.
Maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom