• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Awesome, Arkham Asylum was the best game I've played in years, good enough to make me like my most hated gameplay element, stealth.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kintaro said:
You quoted me with my edit in there. >.> Yes, I see that it is Joker and Hamill. They made such a big deal about Batman: AA being his last run as Joker too since doing the voice was starting to hurt him.

He is also the voice of The Watcher in Darksiders, which is an even more extreme version of his Joker voice, if you can believe that. Not sure whether he voiced Joker before or after The Watcher, though.

RagnarokX

Checking the trailer for details...

chvyg.jpg

The new Arkham Asylum. Appears to be a large walled-off section of the city, not the whole island.

ejgd3d.jpg

Two-Face posters on the walls.

2a7fjmg.jpg

Penguin's Iceberg Lounge is within the asylum's walls.

svgwna.jpg

Had to look this one up. Sionis is apparently the real name of Black Mask.

Lots of references to various crime lords in this trailer.

Oh a sequel to one of my favourite games of the year? Hell yeah. I hope we get to head out into Gotham City. That will rock. And Two-Face? Again, hell yeah.

Didn't see a sequel to Arkham Asylum coming out so soon, that was a big surprise. A lot of the stuff in the trailer looked a little rehashed though. All the thugs looked exactly the same and the Joker is main villain again after getting his ass kicked? It all seems a little too soon...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
VGChampion said:
Awesome. One of my favorite games this year.

All it needs is less henchman / more variety to take them down. And get rid of the boss fights and it will be golden. If they could show a game like this doesn't need boss fights to make it "good", then we will be on the right track.

The right track would be to learn how to not reused the same shitty boss fight scenario over and over like it was the best gameplay idea of all time.

Atrus

Gold Member
While I want a sequel to Arkham Asylum, I hope they don't really find that they need to do another scenario where the criminals break free and take over Arkham Asylum again.

I was hoping more for Batman hunting down criminals in districts within Gotham with the appropriate batmobile sections.

Mikey Jr.

Yes! Excellent news!

Hopefully Rocksteady keeps their head on their shoulders and doesn't try to add too much unneeded shit.

Keep AA's formula. It works.

RagnarokX said:
Checking the trailer for details...

The new Arkham Asylum. Appears to be a large walled-off section of the city, not the whole island.

Two-Face wanted posters on the walls.

Penguin's Iceberg Lounge is within the asylum's walls.

Had to look this one up. Sionis is apparently the real name of Black Mask.

Lots of references to various crime lords in this trailer.
Nice catches

Downhome

I totally didn't expect this so soon, oh man, bring it on!

Seeing that teaser trailer makes me want to go back and play the first one again ASAP.

DrBo42

Atrus said:
While I want a sequel to Arkham Asylum, I hope they don't really find that they need to do another scenario where the criminals break free and take over Arkham Asylum again.

I was hoping more for Batman hunting down criminals in districts within Gotham with the appropriate batmobile sections.

Agreed with all of what you said except batmobile sections. No driving sequences are needed, they're never done right.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
excellent. I didn't like AA as much as some on this board, but I still really liked it. I can see a sequel really fixing some of the little little niggling issues I had with it.

Great news, basically. I'm so happy for Rocksteady.

Hell yea.

Finally FINALLY i get a great batman game, so i'd gladly take a sequel

I do get a No Mans Land vibe from it. I hope they don't go open world, but i would like them to venture out into different locales.

And Mark Hamill was still doing Joker. whew. I remember hearing that Batman: AA was going to be the last time he'd do the voice. Glad to see his awesome joker voice acting will continue

And i think Ras should be the big bad for the sequel.

I'm surprised they tacked the Arkham Asylum name into the sequel

Seems a bit unnecessary. Surely they could've had a closed off part of the city but not have made it a "new" Arkham Asylum

DMczaf

Chuck Norris said:

Seems a bit unnecessary. Surely they could've had a closed off part of the city but not have made it a "new" Arkham Asylum

Yeah, that's weird. People know Batman, you don't need to tack on Arkham Asylum 2 so they don't get confused. We just had a Batman movie sequel make $533 million and it didn't even have Batman or a 2 in the title.

Maybe its just a working title.

hamchan

Chuck Norris said:

Wait, did the trailer even give the name of the game?

Chuck Norris said:

They haven't announced the title yet, right? When I finished Arkham, I remember my first thought being that I can't wait for the sequel. 2010 seems quick but since this is only a teaser, we could easily be looking at 2011.

Rocksteady had likely started development immediately upon completing Arkham and I love the balls behind that. Even before it released, they knew they had something VERY special on their hands.

I don't care when...I adored the first and I'm there day 1 for this.

benjipwns

Banned
hamchan said:
Wait, did the trailer even give the name of the game?
Nope, it's still mostly covered up.

I think the Arkham Asylum 2 stuff is just to make clear it's a sequel while under development.

Might not even have a title yet.

Thunder Monkey said:
They did not redesign Harley Quinn. :(

I am disappoint.

They don't need to. It's a sequel and from the looks of it, it starts off RIGHT as Batman: Arkham Asylum finishes.
If she just escaped Arkham, I'm sure she didn't had time to change.

Thunder Monkey said:
They did not redesign Harley Quinn. :(
I am disappoint.

Indeed.

There's still time. Let's hope Rocksteady reads.
In fact, I want redesigns (new clothes) for everyone. Repeats feel... blah.

Keep the nurse getup if you want but refine it and please change the hair color.

Chris_C

Dever said:
Yes. I want to retain full media blackout for this.

Same, I've seen the trailer, I know I'm going to get it, so no more visuals or anything for me.

Also, that's so sad to hear that Hamil's going to be retiring the Joker voice. Ledger might be the Joker in the minds of many (amazing performance) but Hamil's Joker is no less brilliant.

I'd actually like to see some Bruce Wayne and some Uncharted 2 like changes of pace in this next game.

Would be great if they fixed the human proportions too, because everyone's arms were waaaaaay too short.

Cameo by Supes voiced by Tim Daly please.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Buckethead said:
Indeed.

Keep the nurse getup if you want but refine it and please change the hair color.
well, to be fair, the game probably barely exists at the moment. there's a good chance stuff like this will be iterated on. :)

Buckethead said:
Indeed.

I think everyone else in it looks pretty damn good.

No complaints about them. They just took Harley in a direction that I'm not particularly fond of. She's a psychotic dependent personality type, not a crazy hooker.

AA ended with the Asylum in ruins. It appears this time around, the baddies are confined to one chaotic section of the city -- like the Narrows in Batman Begins.

Paul Dini is back; Rocksteady is at the helm and there's a chance Mark Hamil will reprise his role of the Joker. To say I'm excited is a massive understatement.

I am a massive Batman fan, and Arkham Asylum is not only my game of the year -- it's my favorite game in years.

Thunder Monkey said:
No complaints about them. They just took Harley in a direction that I'm not particularly fond of. She's a psychotic dependent personality type, not a crazy hooker.

I don't particularly want drastic redesigns, particularly, but yeah.
Just a little refresh here and there. Joker's clothes, for example, looked wayyyy to purple. Like unbelievably so. I know it's supposed to be more comic booky, but yeah. It was ugly, imo.

Harley makes the most sense though for the hooker reason you mentioned as well as the fact that a hospital getup works for the Arkham hospital, but not wherever in Gotham we're playing now.

Assuming Bats is bringing the fight to them this time, that'd make story sense for them to get all freshened up to prep for the fight with Batman.

Is it certain Hamil won't voice the Joker? Sure, he said AA was his last performance - but he may not have predicted the success of that game. Money talks.

For the (few) Superman fans in the thread, I feel for you gents...but no thanks. I'd prefer that we just keep the Big Blue Scout and his holier than thou shite the hell away from Bats and Gotham.

The only way I'd like to see Supes pop up in this is if Bats brings the super smackdown ala Dark Knight Returns.

FunnyBunny said:
Is it certain Hamil won't voice the Joker? Sure, he said AA was his last performance - but he may not have predicted the success of that game. Money talks.

Since it was his voice in the teaser, I'm thinking (and hoping) he's back

kikanny

FunnyBunny said:
AA ended with the Asylum in ruins.
It appears this time around, the baddies are confined to one chaotic section of the city -- like the Narrows in Batman Begins.

Paul Dini is back; Rocksteady is at the helm and there's a chance Mark Hamil will reprise his role of the Joker. To say I'm excited is a massive understatement.

I am a massive Batman fan, and Arkham Asylum is not only my game of the year -- it's my favorite game in years.

Dude WTF. Spoiler tag that man. I haven't even completed 5 % of the game. :(

Top Bottom