• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Origins "no plans on releasing another patch" DLC to take priority

vg260

Alright, apparently we're just throwing insults around.

WB publisher knew the game wasn't ready. Why wasn't it ready? Because WB Montreal didn't get it done. Plenty of other developers manage to make games in two years (with an engine already provided) which aren't nearly as broken as Arkham Origins was. Case in point: Arkham City. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't fundamentally broken like Origins. Montreal also has released multiple patches that still haven't addressed many of the issues.

Montreal are at fault for the bugs. They didn't do their job properly. They didn't deliver a working game by the deadline. WB may have gone ahead and released said game in the interest of money, but Montreal are not blameless.

If I give you a deadline (Montreal knew the game's release date at least six months in advance) and you deliver a broken product that's your fault. If I choose to release that product instead of delay it, yes, that's my fault and I'm screwing the consumers, but I didn't break the product. If WB Montreal were better developers, they would have met their deadline with a game in better condition. It's that simple. They do deserve some blame.

Sure, maybe they deserve some blame, but how do you know the conditions and timeline for which they had to deliver this product and fix the bugs? Was it reasonable? How much time were they given to fix the bugs? How much effort did they put in? Did they give 100% and do the best they could? No one here knows. However, I'd be willing to bet the devs haven't being playing ping pong in the break room the entire time since the game was out.

And? I, and everyone else with a high school diploma, get the base tribal reasons of why videobgame fanboys act delusional towards stuff they like. Or are you trying to make excuses for them or something? That's kinda of really pathetic if so...

I was agreeing with you. How did you think I might be trying to make excuses for them? Next time I'll explicitly say "This." at the start of my post.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sure, maybe they deserve some blame, but how do you know the conditions and timeline for which they had to deliver this product and fix the bugs? Was it reasonable? How much time were they given to fix the bugs? How much effort did they put in? Did they give 100% and do the best they could? No one here knows. However, I'd be willing to bet the devs haven't being playing ping pong in the break room the entire time since the game was out.

Development of Batman: Arkham Origins began in late 2011 by Canadian development studio Warner Bros. Games Montréal (WB Montréal), and the game was announced on April 9, 2013.

The release date was announced on the same day. They had two years of development time, and six months warning of the release day (maybe more). They were also given Rocksteady's work from the previous Batman games and worked on the Wii U port of City so they didn't go in dark. They had comparable conditions and timeline to what Rocksteady had for City. No game is bug-free, but City was a lot more stable (that's not even speaking to the quality of gameplay itself).

And as far as how much effort they put in... if they didn't give it 100% then that's still a poor reflection on their work ethic. I don't think "they could've done better, they just couldn't be bothered" is really a legitimate excuse or the reality here.

Yagharek

Also, blame should lie with the publisher. Developers make mistakes, but their coding skills should be sufficient to fix serious bugs.

The problem lies with publishers not allowing time, money or resources to fix them.

Obviously I'm not expecting developer complacency is an issue here, unlike say, Telltale's or Bethesda's apparent apathy for the customers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'll just hope the bugs get fixed when (and if) they announce a GOTY edition for the game.

Rekubot

How common are the game-breaking bugs in the PC version?

I want to play AO but won't buy it if there's a good chance I can't finish it. Publishers that pull this shit go to the bottom of my buy-games-from list.

Hopefully the media picks this up, not just for WB (who at least had their community guy state the situation clearly) but for all the companies who think shipping a broken product then not fixing it is acceptable.

Timu

I had bugs where I had to restart whole sections, I would hope they would fix that getting stuck in the wall glitches.

d00d3n

This game has some spectacular bugs. Played for a couple of hours yesterday when batman suddenly started to clip through random stuff. Roads, roofs, some geometry indoors and even two entire buildings in Burnley. The clipping persisted even after restarting the game, changing the graphics settings and reloading. It turned out that the issue could be fixed by deleting the bmengine.ini file (additionally, I ran the game exe as an administrator, don't know if this changes anything), but I am amazed that such a major clipping bug made it through QA. The "no plans on releasing another patch" comment is really shameful considering the state the game is in.

An update from the community manager was posted today on the Arkham Origins message board

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Update/m-p/125059/highlight/true#M26

Hi everyone,

We want to clarify a few details and rectify any misconceptions regarding our plans for any future updates for Batman: Arkham Origins. The studio did not stop working on updates in order to move its resources to focus solely on DLC. The studio has various teams that work on different aspects of the title; the team working on DLC is and has been separate from the team working on any updates for the game.

Following the launch of the game, the team worked hard to investigate and address the issues that were fixable with a focus on any issues that were preventing players from progressing. The team’s goal post-launch was to ensure the best possible game experience and that stance has not changed. Several patches were issued and with patch 1.05, the team feels confident that the most challenging issues for players have been addressed. At this time, we currently do not have plans to issue any additional updates.

We will continue to listen to our players and we are committed to addressing issues raised by the community in the best way possible.

I will update the first post as well. I will admit that "priority" was my choice of words and may not have been accurate of the issue at hand. So apparently there are different teams for DLC and patches and patch team feels 1.05 is adequate to address player issues despite also admitting that progression bugs and keyboard control still exist within the game for some people.

An update from the community manager was posted today on the Arkham Origins message board

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Update/m-p/125059/highlight/true#M26

I will update the first post as well. I will admit that "priority" was my choice of words and may not have been accurate of the issue at hand. So apparently there are different teams for DLC and patches and patch team feels 1.05 is adequate to address player issues despite also admitting that progression bugs and keyboard control still exist within the game for some people.

What a bunch of bullshit.

They say they are separate teams, yet there'll be no more patching. So that team doesn't exist? Maybe that's how it's separate.

Top Bottom