• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armature Studio to handle Bloodstained: RotN Wii U port

TunaLover

Kickstater official post said:
We've appreciated all your sleuthing, but now that you have the key and the $2.75 million stretch goal behind you—I noticed you broke down the Dungeon door, while you were at it—it's finally time to reveal your next milestone:
That's right: You've blown our expectations so far out of the water that we're ready and able to get started on a Wii U version.
During the campaign all of us who’ve been working to make Bloodstained a reality have been really touched by how many of you thanked IGA and the team for keeping stretch goals and tiers realistic. Kickstarters aren’t just a way to sell merchandise and games, after all: They’re a way to fund the development of the game we all want to play.
With that in mind, a lot of you have asked about ports—not just because you want them, but because you want to make sure that making them won't affect IGA's vision for the game. We have good news, and really good news.
The good news is, it won't: IGA and Inti Creates are going to continue developing the game as before, without compromise.

The really good news is how they're going to ensure it won't: At our next stretch goal Armature Studio will join the fray to handle the Wii U version.
If you haven't heard of Armature yet—and don't worry, you will soon enough—you've definitely heard of the work they've done: Armature was formed in Austin, Texas by a team of key developers from the Metroid Prime franchise, and since then they've worked with companies like EA, Konami, WB Games, Gearbox, and Sony to produce original games and HD remasters.

But we'll let them speak for themselves:
"When we were approached with the opportunity to assist with Bloodstained on Wii U, we were ecstatic. This style of game is one we are intimately familiar with from our Metroid Prime days, and it's exciting to once again put our familiarity with Nintendo hardware to good use. We have extensive remastering experience - our remastering projects include the Metal Gear Solid Collection for PS Vita, Injustice for PS Vita, and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for PS4/XB1. We look forward to the challenge of making sure that the Wii U edition of Bloodstained stands proudly with its brethren on Unreal Engine 4."

Jack Mathews: Technical Director. Jack started out by working on QuakeSpy (later renamed GameSpy 3D) and helped to maintain id's QuakeWorld. He also worked at 3D graphics pioneer 3dfx and on all three Metroid Prime games at Retro Studios before starting Armature.

Mark Pacini: Game Director. After working in Industrial Design, Mark started out in the game industry as an artist before moving to design. He was the Lead Designer and then Game Director at Retro Studios for 8 years before starting Armature.
Todd Keller: Art Director. Todd has been in the game industry for almost 20 years, working for Atari, Boss Games, and Retro Studios before starting Armature.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1243827
Close me in the castle bassement if old.

I wonder how the conversion will be done? Maybe remake the game in the style of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games? Take high-res 2d images of the 3d assets and rebuild the game in a Wii U supported engine like Unity? If that process was an option I suppose Vita/N3DS could work as well using the same method.

Jamix012

I wonder how the conversion will be done? Maybe remake the game in the style of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games? Take high-res 2d images of the 3d assets and rebuild the game in a Wii U supported engine like Unity? If that process was an option I suppose Vita/N3DS could work as well using the same method.

It'll probably be a 1080p game on PS4/XB1, I imagine. Lower it to 720p and cut a few effects and bam: Wii U port.

Bulzeeb

what really scares me about this game is that it won't look as good as those 2d concept art images and will end with an average 3d platformer look like what happened with MN9.

It'll probably be a 1080p game on PS4/XB1, I imagine. Lower it to 720p and cut a few effects and bam: Wii U port.

With Unreal 4 not having official support on Wii U (at least last I heard) I don't think that style of port would be nearly as simple an undertaking as you're suggesting. Even porting the game over to Unreal 3 and trying to replicate the GGXrd effect IGA's team is going for could be very difficult.

I wouldn't get too excited, looking at the Kickstarter we're far off from getting a Wii U version. Only 14 days left and we're still $121,733 away from hitting the stretch goal. (as of writing this)

wiibomb

I just wonder if the game will really need to be cut in any way... if smash could handle 60fps on 1080p, I don't see why this couldn't.

it's clear this is no The Order's graphics case.. may be the Wii U owners can receive the same game

I wouldn't get too excited, looking at the Kickstarter we're far off from getting a Wii U version. Only 14 days left and we're still $121,733 away from hitting the stretch goal. (as of writing this)

going by the pace of the kickstarter, it will surely past the goal in 5 days or so...

suaveric

Is the Wii U even going to be around by the time this game comes out? They're projecting a March 2017 release for the game, but I have yet to see a Kickstarter game come out on time. There's no way the Wii U won't be replaced by Nintendo by the end of 2017.

TunaLover

This proyect has been receiving like 90.000 per day, it will reach more than 3.000.000 in the deadline.

Is the Wii U even going to be around by the time this game comes out? They're projecting a March 2017 release for the game, but I have yet to see a Kickstarter game come out on time. There's no way the Wii U won't be replaced by Nintendo by the end of 2017.

Systems don't magically disappear when new ones hit.

I'm kind of upset about Armature's status as a port house. With their lineage, it always seemed like they were destined for more than this.

fuck you that maverick hunter game probably would've been great

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

It's Nintendo, so backwards compatibility is always an option.

No it won't, all the Wii U currently in peoples houses will spontaneously combust the day its successor is released

Uh, looking at the kickstarter there's no way it won't reach the target.

Wii U stretch goal being met is a sure thing.

RIP in peace IGA-san's pure design. The existence of this secondary, outsourced afterthought of a port is obviously a blight on his ultimate vision, requiring me to reduce my pledge to a single dollar, the same as the quality of the game has obviously been reduced.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That is incredibly old news.

before this topic, I've read only rumor about a Wii U version stretchgoal, and no idea about the developer.

Btw, as for Laylaakoliieeee (I don't remember the name) and Mighty N° 9, I didn't bothered to fund them, because of the many people already backing them up, but I'll buy the game once it will hit the Wii U eshop

TheMoon

How about they just use UE3 lol

(I know it's not as easy as "just" using UE3)

RIP in peace IGA-san's pure design. The existence of this secondary, outsourced afterthought of a port is obviously a blight on his ultimate vision, requiring me to reduce my pledge to a single dollar, the same as the quality of the game has obviously been reduced.
I feel like this is a reference to something I missed

SmokyDave

Seems like a bad idea to me. It'll almost certainly be a late and inferior port and will lead to much bad blood and very few sales. Still, it's nice that more people have a new game to look forward to.

Seems like a bad idea to me. It'll almost certainly be a late and inferior port and will lead to much bad blood and very few sales. Still, it's nice that more people have a new game to look forward to.

Really depends on how hard iga is going to be pushing on the main build. These guys know the wii u cpu like the back of their hand, so they should be able to get more out of it then most devs on a similar budget.

A Wii U release in 2017/2018 is the real worry, but given that Nintendo doesn't appear to be announcing new hardware this year they may just scrape it

Shiggy

There's a lot less cost in producing a digital version of a game vs. a physical one.

That's true. Yet there are ratings and everything. For that reason, we already see less digital releases on the European eShop (in particular the German). eShop releases in Europe have been loss makers for not just a few developers, if recent reports are to be trusted.
If the port is easily done and does not require a lot of resources, it could be worth it despite low sales. Armature will probably not come into play until the game development has advanced a bit.

Miker

Armature's output has gone from being questionable to simply ironic. A Batman metroidvania that wasn't warmly received, Vita ports for MGS Collection and Injustice, and now a Wii U port of the new Igavania. While I don't doubt the talent at the studio, it does remind me a bit of the ol' Rare leaving Nintendo situation.

scitek

I'm sure the Amrmature guys are ecstatic to be working on a Nintendo platform again porting an indie title. I'm sure that's where they thought they'd be all these years later.

Dremark

Banned
I'm kind of upset about Armature's status as a port house. With their lineage, it always seemed like they were destined for more than this.

fuck you that maverick hunter game probably would've been great

Gotta pay the bills in the meantime, hopefully they get a good project going that makes them a known name soon.

In the meantime it looks like the port for Bloodstained is in good hands.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There's a small difference between the DS (as well as the Wii, PS3, and X360) and the Wii U. I just say two words: commercial failure.

Theres also a small difference between the DS and Wii and WiiU, theres a much higher percent of people buying digital games on the U.

Top Bottom