• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

I can't even tell you how many times I wished for this as a kid.

A lot of us did, but at the end of the day I'm proud of what I am.

Said every brown skinned person at some point in life.

Yep, it's fucked up that how normal saying/ thinking that shit is.

Serious or not, that's the saddest thing I've heard. I've heard a couple of people say it irl so it messes with my humanity.

Nothing but love, Beefy. Even though you're a Saints fan.

As a kid I thought it, I wanted to have a easier life. Now I proud of who I am.

Thanks man
tenor.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Can you imagine if you were a PoC and went out walking with a GAFfer and stumbled across this dude?

You'd have to ride the line between having your humanity harassed and desecrated on a public sidewalk, while trying not to offend your companion by reacting or saying anything except listening intently because they're actually super fucking passionate about allowing this guy his freedom of speech, no matter the cost to you or anyone else.

I would punch the Nazi first and the GAFer after.

Harmen

I mean, I am against violence and all and it should be a last resort, but seeing a Nazi parade around with an actual Nazi armband? He got what he deserved. The Nazi idealism once led to the slaughter of millions of Jews. There should be no place at all for any idiot even remotely identifying with that ideology. In a better world, the justice system would take care of this swiftly by throwing him into jail or something, but this shit is actually legal, so what else are people suppossed to do? Accept Nazi ideologists parading around? Unacceptible.

xBladeM6x

Russians did a hell of a lot more than just throw waves of men at the enemy. They utterly destroyed the German invasion on both a tactical and strategic level.
I agree, though it wouldn't have been possible to sustain if the other Allied Powers weren't supplying them. The point is it was a team effort to push them back, and if any of them had fallen, it's likely the whole war would have been lost. I think you should look up the Lend-Lease policy of the USA / UK with regards to the war effort. It's an interesting read and shows how integral those supply lines were to a Russian success, especially in fortifying Leningrad.

I think you misunderstand, I'm someone who has been a student of history most of my life, it's a passion. I'm not trying to delude the contributions of any nation, I just saw your post and felt like responding - with no real aim in mind, now that I think about it. Lol

I'll end it there since this is way off topic now. Sorry Mods.

Seventy70

Always nice to remind these shits what happens when you step outside of your echo chamber. I wonder how many wannabe internet Nazis saw the video and had a "change of heart"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can someone explain this for me?

David Wong was an alias/pen name of the writer Jason Pargin, a white dude who writes for Cracked (and used to post here before getting banned for comparing nazis to Muslims).

I also assumed "David Wong" was his real name and that he was of Asian descent. Using an "ethnic" sounding pen name is pretty fucked up. Why would anyone do that? Even weirder that his GAF username had a middle initial, too, even more suggestive of a real name.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's not the same because it is actually much less controversial to give a Trump verbal shit. Arguing that was intolerable was far more moderate than arguing you shouldn't punch Nazis. The conversation moved from don't be rude to Ivanka to don't be violent in the streets, even to people who deserve it.

Upon reflection, I understand your position. I think you are saying hitting a Nazi is actually less controversial, though I disagree. We are taught propaganda of nonviolence from the day we are born and it is very ingrained in people. The point to most people arguing against the violence is not who was punched but that a punch was thrown.

I'm saying the times are not "changing."

A mod would have been de-modded for being a Nazi sympathizer a year ago, just as they are now.

Mentioning the Ivanka thing is weird and unrelated.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
David Wong was an alias/pen name of the writer Jason Pargin, a white dude who writes for Cracked (and used to post here before getting banned for comparing nazis to Muslims).

I also assumed "David Wong" was his real name and that he was of Asian descent. Using an "ethnic" sounding pen name is pretty fucked up. Why would anyone do that? Even weirder that his GAF username had a middle initial, too, even more suggestive of a real name.

Which poster was it?

Also I guess I shouldn't be surprised that nazi sympathizers or equivocators are a bit stupid too.

jiiikoo

Banned
The punch was not necessary.

I do find it a bit funny that in the year of 2017, you have not commented "the shooting was not necessary"in a thread about a black man/woman being shot by the police or "the beating of a black man was not necessary" once, but when a swastika armband wearing white man gets knocked down, you're saying it wasn't necessary...

"Pargin also used the pen name "David H Wong" on the internet forum NeoGAF, up until the time when he was banned from the site for defending a nazi and equating muslims to nazis."

Beautiful.

Not sure if I should confess this, but what the hell... That was my doing.

I felt better about the punch that Richard Spencer got than this guy. Why? I think because that was more spontaneous? That one was not organized or premeditated. Some guy saw Spencer giving a TV interview and just walked over and socked him. I had no problem with that one. There were neutral people around that situation, so Spencer thought he was in a comfort zone and some guy knocked him out of it.

This one was calculated. This guy was literally hunted down. This one was disturbing to me because of that. But, then again, this guy was more belligerent. So,maybe vigilante justice was required?

I know it sounds hypocritical. I'm even questioning myself right now.

I was asking the hypotheticals to try to figure out what is right and what is wrong because I don't even know. I was raised to not be violent and this stuff has got my head all messed up.

Sorry if anything came off as out of line.

We all hate Neo-Nazis. No question there.

The violence just makes me uncomfortable.

lmao of course you a sucker punch type of dude

what the fuck

MsKrisp

Tolerance or not, 800mg would make you comatose.

10mg is a basic starter serving.

You also don't gain tolerance the same way to edibles you do to smoking.. and eating that much would just mean you are wasting money. Besides it would suck.

Someone eating 100mg is usually enough to make someone absolutely regret eating that much.

10mg is enough to get almost anyone pretty damn high.

Yeah, 800mg is crazy. I have a really high tolerance and 50-75mg is perfect for me.

David Wong is a pen-name Jason Pargin uses for his books. It's weird, but not really a big deal imo. I have a dozen pen-names myself (a male, islamic name isn't exactly suitable for erotica lol)

Yeah, but you changing your name for that purpose makes at least some sort of sense.

Pargin is a white man from Illinois using an Asian pen name primarily to lecture minorities and their allies on "the right way" to discourse with racists, sexists, and homophobes, a methodology apparently based on his proximity to, and relationships with, backwoods dipshits he used to know when he grew up.

I went to look up the entry on how he arrived at that name, and why he kept it, and noticed the wiki had already been updated:

9RMGZyU.png

see5harp

If there was a way to distinguish the bad muslims then I suppose I'd punch the fuck out of them too. Unfortunately the crazy muslims don't wear armbands to denote the ones that want to create an enthnostate.

MsKrisp

Yeah, but you changing your name for that purpose makes at least some sort of sense.

Pargin is a white man from Illinois using an Asian pen name primarily to lecture minorities and their allies on "the right way" to discourse with racists, sexists, and homophobes, a methodology apparently based on his proximity to, and relationships with, backwoods dipshits he used to know when he grew up.

I went to look up the entry on how he arrived at that name, and why he kept it, and noticed the wiki had already been updated:

9RMGZyU.png

I always wondered why that white boy's last name was Wong. And lmao at that edit

9RMGZyU.png
Lol

If there was a way to distinguish the bad muslims then I suppose I'd punch the fuck out of them too. Unfortunately the crazy muslims don't wear armbands to denote the ones that want to create an enthnostate.

Crazy Muslims probably realise that they'd get punched and arrested. Otherwise, they'd be brazenly flying their ISIS flags in public too.

9RMGZyU.png

No lies detected.

Round and round we go....

Care to take a stab at telling us the right way to deal with someone promoting a group that supports mass murder?

Or are you just drive-by posting?
To be honest, I don't believe "Nazi Punching" is effective either because it won't change their dumb beliefs.

The only thing that helps is education and a society that is aware of shit like this, but unfortunately USA can only dream to get the same history lessons as we get in Germany. (and even here you get more and more AfD - voters)

And some useful rules like "Volksverhetzung" or the ban of spreading Nazi symbols (up to 3 years in jail).

The largest problem nowadays is that internet made things worse as all those idiots get together in their social media bubbles and slowly transfer it to real life. Makes me sick.

Pavaloo

people have been knocked out for less

the thing that gets me for all the "there's no need for violence" posts advocating the right to free speech is that everyone ignores the belligerent and hostile nature of the altercation.

forget that the symbol itself is a call to arms - the guy got in people's faces and postured until someone had enough of his shit. dumb fucks get knocked out all the time for being fucking idiots and the general sentiment is 'play stupid games win stupid prizes' why is this any exception?

I often think I need to leave the internet. what started in my teens as 'don't take /b/ seriously' turned into 'don't read youtube comments,' but now, it's just everywhere. Facebook, twitter, reddit, gaf, etc. The converse is that I often think there needs to be a strong presence online to counteract ideologies like the alt-right, but I just do not have the patience for it. this incident is another reminder why I don't. sighhh thank god for Contra Points!

Ozigizo

9RMGZyU.png

Oh, that's who that was? Wow, fuck that guy.

Naaaaaah, fuck that. That is factually false. Intolerance should not ever be fucking tolerated. That's how those movements grow and fester.
paradox-of-tolerance1.jpg

I don't disagree, but i'd imagine there is many different reasons and circumstances to how movements grow or don't. You've certainly had groups in the past who grew out of their opponents resistance.

The interesting question to me is; what makes them grow, and what makes them implode? Due to all these threads, I've looked at a shit ton of accounts of former white supremacists, and virtually all of them are explaining the same story as to how they were de-radicalized. Punching and beatings doesn't seem to have much of an effect. But what does seem to have an effect is showing empathy, as it helps destroy their world view. The guy who lead one of the most infamous skinhead groups in America, was later de-radicalized when he was shown kindness, and it motivated him to start Life after Hate.

And it's not just him. You have hundreds and hundreds of testimonials online of how people gave up on it after interacting with people of other races. There is this documentary made last year, that I've not seen, but it's about a black man who convinces 200 Klansmen to quit by simply interacting them. Same thing with stories like Scott Shepard who was a "Grand Dragon" who got into prison and was forced to reform. Robert Örell who is a part of Exit Sweden and the Free Initiative basically just also reaffirms this. The Free Initiative claims that their intervention had a serious effect on the amount of drop outs in hate groups. They want to have a international network in Europe that is funded by the European Union to deradicalize across all the EU states

I assume a lot of people are not really interested in this because ultimately it's about violence for violences sake. It feels good to hate somebody, so there is no need for nuance. This is not just about neo-nazis, but also people on the right, because they got Trump in office. So we already have people making excuses for being violent against Trump supporters.
We know the sociological factors that compels people to become white supremacists. It's not ideology, politics, logic, facts or reasoning. It's an emotional response. People are weak, miserable and have no purpose for living. Somebody in a hate group pulls up to them, gives them power, position, goals, a new truth and a sense of being.
That makes them feel good- And because they are so weak, they are willing to trade kindness, human decency and compassion with hate. The self is absolved. You're no longer you. You're a part of the group. It's a collective now. You don't have to think independently anymore. It's a psychological coping mechanism.

It's the frustration-aggression principle. Frustration leads to violence on others who are unrelated to the events, because somebody needs to be the punching bag for the outlet. And this goes left-wing radicals too. Somebody has to pay. And the rhetoric is equally valid; go out and harm people wear the confederate flag, go out and harm people with MAGA caps. The policy of responding violence with violence, doesn't stop because of how you feel about it on a case-by-case basis. It's a bit like with the death penalty. It's a pathos based response because you're so blinded by your feelings, you're not looking at it objectively. You're so trapped in thinking about hurting the criminals, you forget that other innocent people will suffer in the chain.

This entire discussion is a quagmire. One side dismissing the "what if" hypothetical, due to their own "what if" hypothetical. It doesn't really matter what someone elses concern is. You're right. Everyone else is wrong.
I just don't see the empirical evidence that suggest this. And it doesn't make sense to me, why you'd think that you could isolate violence to only one faction. If violence is how we deal with haters in general, then there are many many people who are about to get fucked over, and people are perfectly justified in assaulting them for citing their hate towards a particular group. To me, neo-nazis are not really interesting at all or the cause for concern. It's everyone else, as well as the domestication of normalized violence on the left as a response to the normalized violence on the right.

Btw, referring to your quote, I don't disagree with that at all. However, not tolerating the intolerant doesn't have to mean unmitigated violence.

Derwind

people have been knocked out for less

the thing that gets me for all the "there's no need for violence" posts advocating the right to free speech is that everyone ignores the belligerent and hostile nature of the altercation.

forget that the symbol itself is a call to arms - the guy got in people's faces and postured until someone had enough of his shit. dumb fucks get knocked out all the time for being fucking idiots and the general sentiment is 'play stupid games win stupid prizes' why is this any exception?

I often think I need to leave the internet. what started in my teens as 'don't take /b/ seriously' turned into 'don't read youtube comments,' but now, it's just everywhere. Facebook, twitter, reddit, gaf, etc. The converse is that I often think there needs to be a strong presence online to counteract ideologies like the alt-right, but I just do not have the patience for it. this incident is another reminder why I don't. sighhh thank god for Contra Points!

Truth.

People get into scuffles over far more begnin issues than someone harrasing people with hate speech and genocidal threats. Especially in the facist climate we're in these days.

When punching a Nazi/Nazi sympathizer garners more empathy from the right & liberal moderates than a black man getting unjustly killed & the protests in its wake.

Trurl

Banned

9RMGZyU.png

Huh, I just learned that both you and David Wong are white guys at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom