• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS footage analysis (stages, DNA themed fighter, audience dresses as characters)

I can't decide if it's people being willfully ignorant or Nintendo not being clear enough (or some combination) because it feels like dozens have people have asked about online for this game in various threads.

So I did some amateur compositing and got slightly better images of two of the new characters from the OP.

I8y6rtI.png

qMaei5W.png

TheSun

Can't wait to see the mystery lady in full.

The robot jerk will hopefully turn out cool.

I need character reveals.

LordKano

I feel like the robot is gonna be my main.

At this point, the last thing I need is details concerning buttons controls. Everything else looks great, but I won't play it with motion controls.

Blue Ranger

Neo Member
I don't know if you guys are being serious when u say ''10-12 characters would be the sweet spot'' for me at least that would be insulting unless they add characters after the game launches ala OW.

Neoxon

I don't know if you guys are being serious when u say ''10-12 characters would be the sweet spot'' for me at least that would be insulting unless they add characters after the game launches ala OW.
Fighting games that start from scratch usually have smaller rosters at the beginning. This was the case for Street Fighter II (8 characters in Vanilla SFII & 4 bosses), Street Fighter III (8 characters in New Generation), Street Fighter IV (16 characters in the arcade release & 3 bosses who were added in later*), Street Fighter V (16 characters at launch), Guilty Gear Xrd (13 characters in its initial arcade release & a boss who was added in later*), Skullgirls (8 characters at launch), & many others. That said, I'd imaging that we'd get more characters as DLC, though the real question is if said DLC would be free or paid.

* = More additions to the game's roster were done for the console release of this game & later updated versions of said game.

Crocodile

Adding a Mario Kart character is very different than adding a fighting game character.

Smash would probably be a better point of comparison.

I think his overall point is that new characters get added to games like these post-launch nowadays literally all the time. It's the norm if nothing else. I'd go even further and venture his post is another strike against people assuming things about ARMs that make no sense given the current game development culture and how Nintendo tends to make games.

I am expecting 12 at launch, but I want 16 (either at launch or through, preferable free, DLC). I worry that if they do 16 off the bat that we'll end up with clone characters so I'd rather they focus on making 12 unique ones than 12 unique ones and a couple of clones just to pad out the game - not that those are the only 2 options, though.

Also, going through the Direct footage again - did we see this ARM in action? It's not on the official site.

H7MnOlI.png

It's on Spring Man's arms screen at 1:37

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Adding a Mario Kart character is very different than adding a fighting game character.

Smash would probably be a better point of comparison.

TBF though ARMs isn't like most fighting games in terms of movesets etc. It's mostly just stat distribution alterations and the unique ability. Majority of the gameplay changes are the gloves which will probably be added as time goes by.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if we got something like 12 characters and 20 different arms.

Since each character can equip 2 different arms, you'd get 2400 unique combinations just from that. At some point, choices become overwhelming, and balance becomes an issue.

I'm not concerned at all. The amount of weapons and combinations looks to be where the variety in play style will come in.

As for the sweet spot, I suppose that's all a matter of preference. More does not automatically equate to a superior roster for me.

Plus games with massive rosters or massive amount of guns or whatever tend to be pretty transparent in having several versions of the same basic thing. Numbers really don't mean jack in those scenarios. They're just "content" smoke screens as far as I'm concerned.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not concerned at all. The amount of weapons and combinations looks to be where the variety in play style will come in.

As for the sweet spot, I suppose that's all a matter of preference. More does not automatically equate to a superior roster for me.

Plus games with massive rosters or massive amount of guns or whatever tend to be pretty transparent in having several versions of the same basic thing. Numbers really don't mean jack in those scenarios. They're just "content" smoke screens as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah with fighting games balance and tier lists are more important. No point in having 30+ characters if the game is unbalanced and only 2 are viable (or worst cases one).

Doorman

I am expecting 12 at launch, but I want 16 (either at launch or through, preferable free, DLC). I worry that if they do 16 off the bat that we'll end up with clone characters so I'd rather they focus on making 12 unique ones than 12 unique ones and a couple of clones just to pad out the game - not that those are the only 2 options, though.

Also, going through the Direct footage again - did we see this ARM in action? It's not on the official site.

H7MnOlI.png

That is....definitely not something they've actually shown or talked about before. Looks kind of terrifying tbh.

That is....definitely not something they've actually shown or talked about before. Looks kind of terrifying tbh.

Thought so. In that case, I wonder if it's like Min Min's dragon arm? As in, designed for one character, but usable by others (Ninjara uses the dragon briefly in the Direct). Maybe there's another character that's based on tiki styles or whatever that is supposed to be.

Blue Ranger

Neo Member
Well it seems like you are afor real with the 10 characters sweet spot then..

Maybe i'm just too used to big rosters like smash or tekken..

All the games people point to with big rosters are long established series. That last new big fight game series we got was what? BlazBlue? And that started with 12 characters.

You're use to sequels having more content than new IPs is all

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I think it's largely because those games didn't start with massive rosters either and characters sorta get lost if you introduce 30+ in a new IP. There's also substantial amounts of customization that mitigates it gameplay wise.

Mista Koo

H7MnOlI.png

Isn't that Dragon?

All the games people point to with big rosters are long established series. That last new big fight game series we got was what? BlazBlue? And that started with 12 characters.

Even sequels. The first release of SF4 had 16 characters, GG Xrd had 13.

DrArchon

Injustice came out later than BB and had 24 characters not including DLC. But WB through a dump truck of money at that project and I'd imagine it was easier to make a bunch of characters for NRS because their production pipeline was so good following MK9.

If Arms ends up with 10-12 characters at launch, I think it's a perfectly reasonable roster size, especially taking into account the level of customization.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Injustice came out later than BB and had 24 characters not including DLC. But WB through a dump truck of money at that project and I'd imagine it was easier to make a bunch of characters for NRS because their production pipeline was so good following MK9.

If Arms ends up with 10-12 characters at launch, I think it's a perfectly reasonable roster size, especially taking into account the level of customization.

10-12 is fine. Especially with the idea of DLC characters being introduced.

Seik

Banned

At first I was shocked to see that they only had 5 characters.

Then we got the last direct which, via Minmin and the tease, brought the count to 10.

10 characters in a fighting game to me is still really underwhelming, new IP or not, not to say simply not enough.

BUT

The same direct showed all the customization options that you can set for each indivual arms of a character. IIRC there are a wide selection of gloves and then you seem to be able to select an element (Fire, ice, thunder, etc.) for each of those. This, to me, changes everything and brings the possibilities to somewhere I never expected for this game at first glance. This redeemed what seemed like a weak character roster to me.

tl;dr The metagame in this game will be glorious.

Mista Koo

In addition Injustice is using established characters.

Top Bottom