• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS footage analysis (stages, DNA themed fighter, audience dresses as characters)

Neoxon

You'll get Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl and like it.
It's probably gonna be Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl alt. Just like how Inkling Girl was the character who was put front-&-center, the same is happening with Spring Man.

SalvaPot

Spring Man is such a terrible character design compared to someone like Minmin. How do you go from the instantly iconic Inkling girl to SPRING MAN? I know the "Ryu" of fighting franchises is supposed to be fairly generic, but Spring Man manages to be both extremely bland and offensively ugly at the same time. Ribbon Girl is also pretty bad. I thought they were supposed to be superheroes, but she has an idol gimmick? Then why is she RIBBON GIRL? Why does she wear a mask?

Please don't put Spring Man in Smash, Sakurai.

SPRING MAN

9b3.jpg

Ezalc

I think the main problem of the game is that all of the names sound super generic. Arms, Ribbon Girl, Spring Man, Master Mummy. They're just really boring names. From how creative everything else looks, even spring man's design, this is pretty disappointing.

ryechu

I think the main problem of the game is that all of the names sound super generic. Arms, Ribbon Girl, Spring Man, Master Mummy. They're just really boring names. From how creative everything else looks, even spring man's design, this is pretty disappointing.

I like the name ARMS. I agree that Spring Man looks a bit off. Specifically his face. The names could be better, but I like the super hero vibe of the names Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. I don't like the names Ninjara and Mechanica, however.

Pif

Banned
If inspector gadget doesn't make it as a guest character, I don't know what the marketing team is doing with their lifes.

?
How is this any different from other Nintendo properties or other, more iconic IPs?
Mario, Luigi, Link, the Inklings, Star Fox, etc.
Batman, Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, etc.
Even other gaming icons, like Mega Man (Rockman is admittedly pretty cool) and Sonic the Hedgehog, have "generic" names.

I get your point, but it looks like you're expecting something that you probably shouldn't have been expecting in the first place. I mean, this is a Japanese property, the name "Spring Man" is way cooler to the Japanese (because it's in English) than it'll ever be to us (because it's just two normal words and there's no foreign factor to it). Just like Rockman and Sonic.
---

Also, thank you OP for this analysis, was a great read. I'm really loving the world-building of this game more than anything, which is pretty much how I felt about the first Splatoon. Min Min is the main, but I honestly love the designs of all the characters.

As far as guest characters, go, I'd rather wait for at least the third game, although stuff like Mario or Little Mac alternate outfits for characters would be awesome. Just like Splatoon, I'd rather we see these new IPs spill into other Nintendo games like MK or Smash than have Nintendo spill into these worlds before we really get to see more of what they have to offer. I mean, Splatoon and ARMS would be great for a cartoon or anime adaptation, and the properties would benefit from it greatly. Too bad Nintendo is seemingly not trying to move forward with this kinda stuff.

DKL

I hope they have an option to deactivate the supers or special attacks and simply focus on conventional boxing/dodging/countering.

I think it depends on what they're doing to feed into it...

From what I can tell so far, there's rage in the game (character gets some kind of mode once HP drops below a certain point), which may or may not be good lol

But yeah, supers and whatever are mainstays of fighting games and I wouldn't necessarily want to turn it off.

But I also don't know how supers are gonna work in this game lol

But the meta surrounding supers can be pretty interesting. For example, in early SFIV, people just used ultras as a comeback mechanic... but it eventually went in the direction of players using focus attack to build it and use ultras as like this regular tool in combos or whatever (or like... a way to shutdown a specific option... stuff like that).

Doorman

I think it depends on what they're doing to feed into it...

From what I can tell so far, there's rage in the game (character gets some kind of mode once HP drops below a certain point), which may or may not be good lol

But yeah, supers and whatever are mainstays of fighting games and I wouldn't necessarily want to turn it off.

But I also don't know how supers are gonna work in this game lol

But the meta surrounding supers can be pretty interesting. For example, in early SFIV, people just used ultras as a comeback mechanic... but it eventually went in the direction of players using focus attack to build it and use ultras as like this regular tool in combos or whatever (or like... a way to shutdown a specific option... stuff like that).

In fairness, that mechanic is exclusive to only Spring Man, one of those character-specific traits. Supers, as far as we know, are generalized across all characters (what the punch rush does is more dependent on the Arms you have selected rather than the character) so I suppose shutting them off wouldn't mess with balance in the same way turning supers/ultras off in other fighting games would be, where characters are geared for that style of play in particular ways.

DKL

In fairness, that mechanic is exclusive to only Spring Man, one of those character-specific traits.

Oh ok, I didn't know this and was just kinda watching the video in the eshop.

(on that note, I'm just gonna assume off the bat that the Ninja will be top tier because of his ability to block and move at the same time, unless there's some gigantic recovery behind doing this that I don't know about... ribbon girl seems good too since she has double jumps or whatever and fast fall... people will probably spam the mummy because of armor, but I assume it's gonna be throw bait)

That said, is there a meter that you build to get supers or something? I really don't know how all this works lol

(or is it like cooldown?)

But yeah, when's the demo so I can mess around? Nintendo pls

Doorman

To answer some of this:

The specials are built up through a meter that rises as you land hits (maybe as you take hits too? Not sure exactly), you activate it with a button press and the meter depletes while the flurry is active. Outside of being able to attack and recover much faster than normal, this usually also further enhances the effects of whatever Arms you have equipped (i.e. the revolver fires more than three rounds at a time, wind-based chakram summons larger tornadoes that keep an opponent in the air longer, etc). You can get knocked or thrown out of using your super so it's strong but you can't be completely reckless with it.

Spring Man's shockwave when coming out of a charge-stance, Ninjara's dodge-parry, and Minmin's midair kicks all have the ability to counter an opponent's fist. So some characters have counters, others don't. Spring Man is the only one we know of that has a "rage" mechanic. Master Mummy and Mechanica both get a degree of super armor while on the ground and in the air, respectively. So some characters may have a similar trait in common, but even then most of them seem to have at least one feature that's entirely unique to them (Spring Man guts, Ribbon Girl's extra jump, Master Mummy healing while blocking, Minmin's boosted left arm, etc).

Given the number of arms and the apparent notion that some arms can have different element-variants, the number of combinations to form particular play-styles is pretty enormous, despite everyone's movesets being technically limited to "punch, dash, jump, block, grab, super-rush."

Zubz

Banned
It's probably gonna be Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl alt. Just like how Inkling Girl was the character who was put front-&-center, the same is happening with Spring Man.

The female Inkling managed to catch traction, though. The issue remains if Spring Man will gain traction like she did. As it stands, it looks like Minmin's the most popular ARMS fighter.

Neoxon

The female Inkling managed to catch traction, though. The issue remains if Spring Man will gain traction like she did. As it stands, it looks like Minmin's the most popular ARMS fighter.
Even if she didn't, she'd still be the main Inkling in Smash (whenever that happens) due to how she was marketed. Same applies to Spring Man, who's being marketed as the Ryu of ARMS.

You could make an argument for Robin over Chrom, but Robin was just as much the main character of FE:A as Chrom was.

EulaCapra

Spring Man is awful. Even the game itself thinks he's just a placeholder. Please don't be the main face of Arms in Smash Bros.

You know...there's nothing stopping there being multiple ARMS reps in Smash. It doesn't even need to be a hugely popular franchise (eg, FE had 3 before it took off, KI has 3) for that to happen.

You know...there's nothing stopping there being multiple ARMS reps in Smash. It doesn't even need to be a hugely popular franchise (eg, FE had 3 before it took off, KI has 3) for that to happen.
If Sakurai loves ARMS I suppose.

Melee and Brawl only had two FE reps, jumped to 6 in Smash 4. KI to 3. Both loved by Sakurai.

Hey, if they are all unique fighters for Smash, add them all

I'd imagine Inkling Girl/Boy will likely be the same character with a costume change and Callie/Marie as another character with an alternate character change like alph and olimar. As for ARMS, given the characters unique abilities, gloves and design, I'd like to see 2-3 characters and no alt characters. Although I'd prefer Min Min and Ninjara over Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, the latter two are the mascots. A third character could be Master Mummy as he'd play a lot differently and has a much different design.

opricnik

Banned
Pretty sure mecha girl will be in Smash considering D.VA is huge and nothing like her in Smash ,mechanica will close that gap.

Spring man is lock with probably ribbon girl as alt or seperate.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think the generic names are intentional, kinda like a comic book type of feel

I'd imagine Inkling Girl/Boy will likely be the same character with a costume change and Callie/Marie as another character with an alternate character change like alph and olimar. As for ARMS, given the characters unique abilities, gloves and design, I'd like to see 2-3 characters and no alt characters. Although I'd prefer Min Min and Ninjara over Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, the latter two are the mascots. A third character could be Master Mummy as he'd play a lot differently and has a much different design.

I agree (although I love Spring Man) - I just mean that it's silly to argue over Spring Man/Ribbon Girl being the only rep for the series when that wouldn't necessarily have to be true, that's all. It does come down to Sakurai obviously, but still.

Roo

Unlike Inkling Girl and Boy who are only style and gender swaps, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl have unique abilities attached to them that could translate to different Smash playstyles.

Certainly not enough to not call Ribbon Girl a clone but she'd be far from a mere alt.

Top Bottom