• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Impressions

guek

Banned
Of all the new games Nintendo demoed last week, Arms stood out as the one with the most potential. Nintendo seems to be presenting the game as a brand new flagship IP title in the same vein as Splatoon. The response seems to be great so far. It looks a little goofy at first but it looks like it could be another sleeper hit.
2842k6X.jpg
2WRat2b.jpg
aTdVWAh.jpg
ptfyHq1.jpg
hjS8zkA.jpg
9flfXEn.jpg
O4PW3My.jpg
fHgrwyx.jpg
CnLnzps.jpg

Polygon
It’s all very intuitive, just as Wii Boxing and other, similar motion control-heavy titles were back in the day. The difference is that the Joy-Con feels like a smaller, lighter, overall better evolution of the Wiimotes. Holding them in my fists and punching didn’t feel silly, like it often could with the less precise Wii controller. It felt gratifying, as did the nuance afforded by the Joy-Con’s more advanced feature set.

Even better: Arms can be played using buttons, too. Although the one-on-one fighter, whose roster is full of fantastical, superpowered characters with names like “Mechanica” and “Ribbon Girl,” is better served by a big screen, I was told it works perfectly well in tablet mode, too. And either way, if a player ever gets sick of throwing punches, the buttons are there so that they don’t have to stop playing.

Techradar
This is essentially Wii Sports boxing mode, spun out into an entire game, with rock-em-sock-em robot visuals. You'll be able to pick different power-ups for each arm (controlled by a Joy-Con component in each hand), jumping and throwing flurries of punches at a split-screen opponent. At present, it's hard to get a grip on just how much skill is involved, as opposed to the flailing limb equivalent of button-mashing – trying to tactically dodge a press event opponent who was windmilling, we didn't stand a chance.

MyNintendoNews
It feels smooth and reactive when throwing punches, while angling them for a neat Boomerang shot was a real treat to master. Arms shows a lot of promise for a quick pick up and play title, though hopefully four-way matches are included in an online multiplayer mode to boost the intensity.

Rolling Stone
Arms, that ridiculous cartoon fighter shown off at last night's presentation, is probably the best 3D motion-controlled fighting game yet, excising all the awkward floatiness you remember from Wii Sports.

Evening Standard
The demo version used motion controls, with a two-player battle requiring two sets of joy-cons. Holding one half-controller in each hand, the movement controls to punch, block, and move were simple but effective. Behind the arcade style there’s a lot of scope for working out effective tactics and moves.

It’s hard to imageine playing most motion control games alone in the home – but after two rounds on ARMS, I was itching to work on my technique in single player.

iDigitalTimes
There’s more strategy to Arms than you realize, and once you figure out how dodging and counter punching works you’ll be really fighting with a sense of purpose.

NintendoLife
We really enjoyed our time with ARMS, but we'd be remiss in our duties if we didn't mention that the Nintendo Life staff is exercising a fair amount of cautious optimism. While what we saw and touched in New York was enjoyable - with motion controls that worked rather nicely - we can't help but feel that what we tried may wear thin quite soon. Solo and multiplayer modes will feature, though, so full judgement must wait until the full picture is clear.

USgamer.net
The gyroscopes built into the Joy-Cons offer sophisticated rumble as well as 1:1 movement: I played Arms and quickly discovered you can't waggle your way to victory. You need to use precise movements or risk getting turned into meat toothpaste. 1

Goombastomp
ARMS easily stood out from so much of what Nintendo had on show for the Switch. It feels like the perfect multiplayer companion to Breath of the Wild‘s long single-player adventure, and with a Spring release, it looks to continue Nintendo’s strategy of launching consoles with fun local multiplayer experiences.

Waypoint
I use the Joy-Cons without the main unit for Arms, a deeper-than-it-looks one-on-one beat-'em up that uses motion controls to throw punches (via stretchy, on-springs limbs), move and block, and the triggers on top for special moves, dodges and jumps. There's definitely some Punch-Out!! DNA in there, and it's a lot of fun—immediately accessible but evidently possessing nuances that only players that put in the time will be able to make the most of.

Destructoid
Arms is beautiful and fun, but not the next big eSport

In my short time with Arms I had fun, though it feels potentially light. There hasn't been a ton of details about the amount of content in this game, but I'm hoping there's at least a Punch Out!!-style single-player mode. The game ran very smoothly at what I can only guess was 60fps, and most of all, it's just gorgeous to look at. Nintendo is the best at making simple, colorful art in high definition and it really shows here. Spring Man's hair causes my brain to smell bubblegum if that's any indication.

TheVerge
The process started to feel a little like a reskinned version of Wii Sports’ boxing — a cardio exercise dressed up as a tactical experience. Fortunately, the ebb and flow of fights began to crystallize after two or three bouts, hinting at the strategic depths the developers promised. I started jumping over incoming attacks, or using my own punches to knock incoming fists out of the air before they could connect with my character’s precious nose. I still couldn’t make my walking punchbag do what I wanted with perfect reliability, but I could, at the very least, develop a game plan.

Arms became legitimately fun at this point, having reached a vague accord with the controls and developed an understanding of my character’s options. But the danger is that at launch this spring the game may be caught between two camps: too complex and multi-layered to be a party game; too floaty and inaccurate to be a competitive battler. Motion controls worked for Wii Sports because precision wasn’t truly required, whereas in Arms, I rapidly found myself wishing for buttons to better control the chaos.

Youtube
Source Gaming
NintendoTank
DigitalTrends
Gamespot

Charging your gloves' special ability (i.e. electric) then stunning.
32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif

Nullifying a throw by punching it (68 sec mark on the counter).
31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif

Ninjara dashing out of blocking a super but gets caught at the stage borders.
32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

Getting thrown out of a super. Interestingly, Ninjara's arm health indicator resets after the first hit of the throw.
32243188671_40a508c178_o.gif

Double jump mind games on opponent wake up with Ribbon Girl.

32016819980_8b5c0bc329_o.gif

Systematically taking out Ninjara's arms with the party favor and slapamander.

32016822820_6f28a05045_o.gif

Mechanica pressuring while on the hidden trampoline with the revolvers(?).

32016598280_df4208d759_o.gif

Charged sparky stopping Master Mummy's super.

31552026444_2ba5b735b9_o.gif

Yeah, I was pretty tired when I posted it. Totally meant throw. ^^

QUOTE=samred;228832846]I'd recommend adding this video to the OP: It's Nintendo Treehouse's 31-min overview from yesterday (1/20) full of single-player and 2P battles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGCqdZZeFtM - lots of explanations and comparisons of the various fighters and their particular hands.

Also, if Nintendo staffers are reading this: PLEASE let players hide which hands they're picking before a round. (Hold UP to pick the top one for a particular hand; hold DOWN to pick the bottom one; let go of joystick to pick the middle option; and let the HD rumble serve as a hidden confirmation that you're selecting a particular hand.)

Watching this video convinced me that this is a day-one purchase, not to mention a reason to blow another $80 on a second pair of Joy-Cons.[/QUOTE]

I'll add more as I find em

I'm not entirely sold on the game yet, but I'm very interested. I almost feel the same way about Arms that I did about Splatoon prior to its release. That could be a good sign.

Destructoid keeps saying Nintendo is insisting on ARMs being presented as an eSport, but in what fashion? I've only ever seen them present a new game and then explaining how it controls over the course of a few days.

I like the way ARMS looks, and I personally didn't play the Wii Punch-Out, but I kind of figured that it'd be comparable to that more than Wii Sports Boxing, which IIRC was kind of mediocre, while Punch-Out seemed well-liked from its reviews.

Surprising to only see one mention in those blurbs, though maybe there's more mention of Punch-Out similarities in the actual full articles.

KraytarJ

It's absolutely gorgeous, and it looks like it could be a lot of fun. Hopefully the single-player is good and I'll probably be down.

_Clash_

Destructoid keeps saying Nintendo is insisting on ARMs being presented as an eSport, but in what fashion? I've only ever seen them present a new game and then saying out it controls over the course of a few days.

It looks very competitive with a high skill ceiling. Feels like esport comparisons are inevitable

Totakeke

I don't even think most of these qualify as impressions. More like a description of what the game is.

Whoever wrote Destructoid's article wanted to dismiss the game quickly though.
I have described it to sound more involved than it plays, however. Due to the nature of extendable arms, there are no real combos. You and your opponent shuffle back and forth trying to land punches and grabs until someone gets the special attack meter filled. For a fairly simple game, the rounds seem to go on a little bit too long, especially considering the slower rate of play than, say, Marvel vs. Capcom. We played on several different levels, but they all felt the same for the most part with the effect on gameplay coming from breakable column-shaped objects that I tried to fire my arms around.

psyfi

Banned
This game is gonna be at least a moderate hit, I'm calling it. I was a little dubious at first, but I think Nintendo's got something special here.

Jintor

Destructoid keeps saying Nintendo is insisting on ARMs being presented as an eSport, but in what fashion? I've only ever seen them present a new game and then explaining how it controls over the course of a few days.

Hmm, it just occurred to me that with Smash, MK8, Splatoon and ARMS, Nintendo have enough for a decent standalone tournament showing.

Schnozberry

I don't even think most of these qualify as impressions. More like a description of what the game is.

Whoever wrote Destructoid's article wanted to dismiss the game quickly though.

It's hard to take media seriously when they make definitive statements like that about a game that hasn't been released and no one has had a chance to play extensively. There will probably be 150 youtube videos proving him wrong a couple of days after release.

Totakeke

How does the button setup work? How do you move your hands/curve them?

Virtual on, twin-stick style. Two buttons only, one for dash and the other for jump.

To move you tilt both sticks in the same direction. To block you move both sticks inwards. To punch you move the stick forward in a punching motion. To twist the punch direction you twist your hand.

The reveal trailer actually shows it pretty well if you just ignore the exaggerated motions and expressions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7s3UB_8dFM

Edit: If you mean non-motion controls then it hasn't been revealed yet.

LordRaptor

Virtual on, twin-stick style.

Yeah, that was the immediate point of comparison to me (check first page of the reveal video topic for my hot take!) so its sort of surprising the gaming press apparently haven't ever seen or played Virtual On and keep talking about Wii Sports Boxing

hatchx

Banned
You're missing moving forward and backwards.

Ok, let me try again.

Left analog - left punch
Right analog - right punch (the analogs HAVE to be used for punch for twists and such)

ZR2 - move right
ZL2 - move left

ZL2 + ZR2 pressed together - jump

ZL1 - move forward
ZR1 - move backward

EDIT - It'd be cumbersome, but clearly motion controls are the ideal way. Perhaps there is no way to play completely without motion controls, and giving one of the joycons a shake makes you jump? Maybe moving the joycons still move left and right (and shake to jump) but punches tied to analog sticks? Perhaps there is complete customization...

Rambone

I am not really interested in this game or 1-2 switch. For the motion controls I would rather see a wii sports or Nintendo Land like offering where I get a variety of things to do besides just strafe boxing or a collection of mini games designed around not looking at the TV, sounds boring to me and certainly not worth over 30 dollars or full price for that matter but this is just my opinion. I was just hoping for something more, something better.

Phoenixus

I preordered this using the Amazon code yesterday, so I hope there's a meaty amount of content beyond the demo stuff. Loved Wii boxing and Punch Out Wii so I'm sure I'll love this.

I am not really interested in this game or 1-2 switch. For the motion controls I would rather see a wii sports or Nintendo Land like offering where I get a variety of things to do besides just strafe boxing or a collection of mini games designed around not looking at the TV, sounds boring to me and certainly not worth over 30 dollars or full price for that matter but this is just my opinion. I was just hoping for something more, something better.

Like what exactly? It's a full fledged fighting game...

Rambone

Like what exactly? It's a full fledged fighting game...

Like I said I was hoping for something more like Wii Sports and Nintendo Land. When I watched the reveal for this game it looked like a great title to include in a Wii Sports like collection vs a $60 stand alone game. Since you mentioned that it is a full fledged fighting game I had to go back and watch some of the newer previews and I would agree with that.

guek

Banned
Like I said I was hoping for something more like Wii Sports and Nintendo Land. When I watched the reveal for this game it looked like a great title to include in a Wii Sports like collection vs a $60 stand alone game. Since you mentioned that it is a full fledged fighting game I had to go back and watch some of the newer previews and I would agree with that.

I think the game looks deceptively simple at first glance. We've only seen 4 very different fighters so far, hopefully there's a lot more just as much variety.

JavyOO7

Nintendo Land is so underrated. Fun times with the Luigi and AC mini games. I hope its considered for a port on the Switch...

TheMoon

Nintendo Land is so underrated. Fun times with the Luigi and AC mini games. I hope its considered for a port on the Switch...

They're impossible on the Switch or any other platform out there. You played them, you know this. The whole point of them is two screens withe one being exclusively viewable by one opposing player.

sirap

I'm actually excited for this game, but Giantbomb brought up a very important point about the punching mechanics. Having to keep your fists straight instead of naturally letting it twist mid-punch is super dumb.

LordRaptor

They're impossible on the Switch or any other platform out there. You played them, you know this. The whole point of them is two screens withe one being exclusively viewable by one opposing player.

It'd work with 2 switches, one docked one not.

But then you're getting into that Penny Arcade Crystal Chronicles comic territory

guek

Banned
I'm actually excited for this game, but Giantbomb brought up a very important point about the punching mechanics. Having to keep your fists straight instead of naturally letting it twist mid-punch is super dumb.

Do you even wing chun, bro?

The trade off seems to be that you can curve your punches this way

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think it looks fantastic. Definitely the standout game of the Switch presentation. Gameplay looks really good. Just hope it has a good amount of content there too. The fact it's cheaper than your average Switch game might help it a bit I think.

By the way does anyone know if this game is playable using individual joycons? I know the game supports button controls so I'm hopeful even though there's obviously less buttons there. Would like to be able to play this multiplayer without paying those insane controller prices.

Also online play is confirmed, right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This was the very pleasant surprise from the conference. I think it has a big potential and I'm curious how much content it will have.

adversarial

What's the longevity of a game like this? I know fans are trying to glean everything they can from the rather poor launch line-up, but am I missing something? As this looks like something that would come packed-in w the system. Is it $60? I pre-ordered the Switch and only have Zelda / Xenoblade on my radar. I'll check out more videos.

Sora_N

I'll probably buy it but I don't know if it'd be worth full price. I'm going to play Zelda first in any case.

Branduil

This game is gonna be at least a moderate hit, I'm calling it. I was a little dubious at first, but I think Nintendo's got something special here.

I mean, given how sparse the Switch's lineup is for the first half of the year, it would be hard for ARMS not to be at least a moderate hit. Switch owners are going to have to buy something after BotW.

I think it looks fantastic. Definitely the standout game of the Switch presentation. Gameplay looks really good. Just hope it has a good amount of content there too. The fact it's cheaper than your average Switch game might help it a bit I think.

It's been confirmed that this game will be less expensive than the average Switch game?

Hmmm. That makes me think the game will launch with an 8-10 character roster(8's limited, but 10 I think is OK) and limited single player, but I guess we'll have to see how things unfold in the next few months.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's been confirmed that this game will be less expensive than the average Switch game?

Hmmm. That makes me think the game will launch with an 8-10 character roster(8's limited, but 10 I think is OK) and limited single player, but I guess we'll have to see how things unfold in the next few months.
Whoops. My bad. I just checked and was confusing it with 1 2 Switch. Yeah it's a full priced game.

ARMS is launching at $60. The poster you quoted is incorrect.

Game looks awesome. Glad it's coming near launch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What's the longevity of a game like this? I know fans are trying to glean everything they can from the rather poor launch line-up, but am I missing something? As this looks like something that would come packed-in w the system. Is it $60? I pre-ordered the Switch and only have Zelda / Xenoblade on my radar. I'll check out more videos.

The longevity was on my mind as well. Jeff from Giant Bomb mentioned feeling pretty satiated by the game after playing it for 20 minutes at the preview event, saying he couldn't really find much reason to get back to it at a later date.
So while the proof of concept is certainly there, I doubt these mechanics are enough to keep this game in people's machines for a long time. It seems pretty shallow.

Top Bottom