• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Right on man, sounds cool.

Makes me think how far they will toy around with the arms concept.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how far they'll go, but my thinking was that Mechanica lacks the ARMS gene, so who's to say another character couldn't be the same?

Another one:

An anthropomorphic spider, complete with 6 spindly arms. This character's gimmick would be fairly obvious: each punch throws out three arms. This would be balanced by having the arms be much more easily disabled than those of other characters, and the character would have less health overall. As for a name, I don't wanna fall back on the overused Black Widow, but I'm stumped as to what else to call them. Any ideas?

Wait: Cobweb! It fits the simplicity of the other characters and isn't overused!

dan2026

I can't be the first one to think of this, but this game needs Monkey D Luffy of One Piece fame as a DLC character.

Shit makes so much sense it hurts. They advertise they in Japan and it flies off the shelves.

Interesting, Spring Man's hair color changes too

C_BlX0mUAAApN-O.jpg
he has better blonde hair than ken in sf v.

1upmuffin

Hey, if y'all wanna talk about ARMS with other Gaffers, we have a channel for it on the NintendoGAF Discord. Link bellow, quote this post to see.

[EMAIL="https://discord.gg/44JFNQp][/EMAIL]

Seiniyta

Has this been posted yet? Searched for a thread but didn't found anything. maybe even deserves it's own thread:

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/160365143059

Many more fighters to come…
“The fighters we’ve announced are just a fraction of what’s to come. We’ll be introducing fighters all the time, with all sorts of abilities.”

The hopes for ARMS and for the future…
“It would be like a dream for this to become a franchise spanning decades.[...]

I am really looking forward to this game.

It reminds me of Sega Soccer Slam in some way, not sure why, maybe the variety of characters.

Totakeke

Turns out the non-motion controls have been described in the ARMS article in the latest EDGE magazine issue. Surprised no one else picked it up earlier.

These automated matches were also essential because playing Arms stood up, Joy-Cons in hand, with motion controls is hardly a relaxing experience. We depart out six-hour session exhausted, and apologetic for leaving a Nintendo demo area smelling like a locker room. The more sedentarily inclined - or those unable to play standing up because they've taken their Switch on public transport, say - can make use of less physically intensive control options afforded by Nintendo's multifaceted new hardware. Slot the Joy-Cons into a grip peripheral, hand over one of the controllers to a friend, or pick up a Pro Controller, and Arms starts to feel a little more familiar. Punches can be thrown using the triggers, or two of the face buttons - jump and dash are mapped on to the other two. You click the left stick to guard. Everything you need is here, and it works - but something's missing. Since the left stick controls the angle of your punches, you can't move in one direction and punch in the other. You can't strike at a different angle with your other hand until the first punch is fully extended, either.

Robbed of the physicality of its motion-control inputs, Arms isn't quite the same. No doubt these alternative control options have been added to ensure the game is playable in every situation in which you can use a Switch. Yet it also feels like a thumb of the nose, however unintentional, to players who spent the Wii generation complaining they'd have preferred to have played Motion-Controlled Game X sat on their backsides with sticks and buttons. On-foot motion controls aren't the only way to play Arms, but for our money, they're far and away the best. Producer Yabuki, as you'd expect, agrees.

"The true feel of Arms comes when you're holding both Joy-Con controllers in the Thumbs-Up grip", he says. "You can throw punches from each hand with real precision as you dash or jump around, allowing for a lot more depth for your fighting style. It's possible to throw a straight punch as a feint for your first blow, then curve your second punch to where your opponent runs to. But Arms doesn't require you to use motion controls. I hope people will pick the playstyle that suits them."

And there you go. Kind of what I was expecting all along as non-motion controls won't able to precisely replicate the full range of options you have using motion controls. It's unfortunate so many people are doggedly against motion controls regardless of the implementation.

Totakeke

Why not give the option to angle punches with the right stick?

It might not be fully accurate and it could be because they were just describing the bare minimum when just using one joycon to play. Regardless you can't really curve the punches while moving in a different direction at the same time unless you use the controller gyro as well.

I should add that Edge was very positive about the motion controls and they want it to be the standard for the game.

NEO0MJ

Oh, right. Forgot joycons had two trigger buttons. I immediately visualized a standard controller. Still, hope it's an option when you're using two joycons or the pro controller.

Edit: I think this needs a new thread.

udivision

I know ARMS for Evo is mostly a joke, but I'm curious to see how its adopted into the fighting game scene without support for wired controls and suboptimal pro controls.

Totakeke

I know ARMS for Evo is mostly a joke, but I'm curious to see how its adopted into the fighting game scene without support for wired controls and suboptimal pro controls.

But it's not a joke :(. I would argue that motion controls could attract a wider audience for fighting game tournaments due to the physicality of it. The same people may not be playing it so it needs to attract a slightly different playerbase.

ggx2ac

It might not be fully accurate and it could be because they were just describing the bare minimum when just using one joycon to play. Regardless you can't really curve the punches while moving in a different direction at the same time unless you use the controller gyro as well.

I should add that Edge was very positive about the motion controls and they want it to be the standard for the game.

Sounds similar to Splatoon with regards to controls.

In Splatoon you can choose to turn off Gyro aiming but it's recommended for aiming as opposed to using dual sticks.

That seems to be the same case here for ARMS with motion controls being the recommended method.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ah just saw it, still don't fully understand what they mean by being unable to move in one and attack in the other will be intersting to do how that works out.

Totakeke

How do we even know the control's for pro are sub optimal.

You could argue that the game at the highest levels would never require you to simultaneously move your character left, do a left punch curving rightwards, and a right punch curving leftwards, but based on what is described you can't even do that with a single joycon and probably not with other non-motion controls as well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You could argue that the game at the highest levels would never require you to simultaneously move your character left, do a left punch curving rightwards, and a right punch curving leftwards, but based on what is described you can't even do that with a single joycon and probably not with other non-motion controls as well.
That's what I don't quite get wouldn't the left stock and should buttons control one arm and movement left and the other right. Can't quite visualise why your unable to do this with physical.

jts

...hate me...
That's what I don't quite get wouldn't the left stock and should buttons control one arm and movement left and the other right. Can't quite visualise why your unable to do this with physical.

Guessing it's to keep a uniform control scheme shared with the single Joy-con sideways.

They could still allow for a bespoke scheme for the Pro Controller and dual Joy-cons, but seeing how they are pushing it as a motion controlled game, doesn't surprise me that the range of physical control possibilities is gimped.

Totakeke

Hmm, it's been a while since I tried the game so that statement may not be entirely accurate. Once you punch out using motion controls, the tilt of that joycon becomes the curve of the punch. But to move around, you also need to tilt both of the joycons in the same direction. So you obviously can't do that at the same time independently, but you can clearly see people still moving around when their punches are thrown and their arms extended. It has also been shown that you can curve your punches in mid extension as well.

Eh, I'll have to try it out again to find out unless someone else does.

Top Bottom