• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

DMONKUMA

Had a chance to play this at pax today... wow. Much more depth than I was expecting. I'm very interested to see how the 'traditional' controls will work, but the motion controls were very well done. Hope they're equally well done to make playing this split screen in public a possibility.

I wonder how well the individual joycon play is gonna be. They said it works but with limited functions....dunno but either way it's exciting.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If Nintendo can get Arms and Splatoon 2 out by May and June, then announce a fresh 2nd half line up at E3. We will be in good shape.

Totofogo

Neo Member
I wonder how well the individual joycon play is gonna be. They said it works but with limited functions....dunno but either way it's exciting.

Hmm... yeah. Hard to imagine, at least it'd be fair in a one on one.

They'd probably have to take out curving the punches? Otherwise a button each for block, grab, jump, dodge (ABXY?), punch L, punch R (triggers?) then movement (analog stick?).

I got an extra set of cons for my Neon set to get the B/B color or R/R color choice but I guess it makes sense to get this for 2p 4 joycon gameplay. I doubt many other games are going to try it. Has any other game been announced trying it?

DarkKyo

I also got to play this at PAX. It was my most sought after demo of the convention and I'm glad I got a little time with it. I faced off against my brother and we each won a game against the other.. super fun! But man is it hard to wire your brain to the controls. Dodging is especially hard, but I'd probably get it down if I had a few more rounds with it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If Nintendo can get Arms and Splatoon 2 out by May and June, then announce a fresh 2nd half line up at E3. We will be in good shape.

Ya know, I'm as excited as the next guy, but after how light on content the January presentation was, I'm not holding my breath for megatons at E3. I'm sure there'll be one or two new announcements, but I'm expecting a Smash 4 port and maybe Pokémon Stars and Monster Hunter XX at best. Like, I'll consider it decent if even one of those games is announced. The rest I expect to be (more) detailed online plans and release dates and footage of stuff we already know about. Heck, I'm even expecting coverage for stuff that will already be out by then. That's it. Oh and maybe a "Metroid in 2018 but we've got nothing to show for now" if Nintendo uncharacteristically feels like giving us some visibility into the next year.

I hope I'm wrong, but I know the pattern now: take your lowest expectations, and then make them even lower to avoid disappointment.

I also got to play this at PAX. It was my most sought after demo of the convention and I'm glad I got a little time with it. I faced off against my brother and we each won a game against the other.. super fun! But man is it hard to wire your brain to the controls. Dodging is especially hard, but I'd probably get it down if I had a few more rounds with it.
It's new controls so it'll take some time to get used to that's all. Same with BotW with all the new controls. It was kind of awkward at first, but I've got it down pretty good now.

Mory Dunz

Doubt it. Nintendo will definitely give Splatoon an E3. And once they do, they won't release the game the next week. They'll give time for it to simmer and disclose info/trailers

July or August imo.

DMONKUMA

Hmm... yeah. Hard to imagine, at least it'd be fair in a one on one.

They'd probably have to take out curving the punches? Otherwise a button each for block, grab, jump, dodge (ABXY?), punch L, punch R (triggers?) then movement (analog stick?).

The curves can be tied to gyro since both controller have them, right? So you can still tilt the joycons if you want to curve your punches.

jacksrb

Very excited about ARMS!

2 things:
1 - Hope they put out a joy con bundle for it
2 - the best thing about MK8 Deluxe (and potential Smash) ports is freeing up those teams to do different projects

May 2nd makes zero sense. It's on a Tuesday and they're not going to release a brand new IP they want to succeed days after Mario Kart 8. It won't be until mid May the earliest.

Yeah. If ARMS was early May, they'd move Mario Kart up to April 7th or 14th.

Nintendo is the king of sitting on a finished game to better pad out a release schedule (also the king of delays.) They wouldn't pack releases this tightly together unless they had a lo more in reserve.

Very excited about ARMS!

2 things:
1 - Hope they put out a joy con bundle for it
2 - the best thing about MK8 Deluxe (and potential Smash) ports is freeing up those teams to do different projects

Kid Icarus Switch, please.

I really think this will take the Mario Kart 8/Splatoon spot of last Friday in May.

Then Splatoon 2 gets show quite a bit at E3 and comes out in August.

psyfi

Banned
After having a Switch for a week, I'm more excited about this game than ever. I'm really curious to see how they implement HD rumble in this one.

Totofogo

Neo Member
After playing it, I'd agree that Arms is to fighting games as Splatoon is to third person shooters.

Agreed. It was hard to pick up at first, but would definitely come with time.

The curves can be tied to gyro since both controller have them, right? So you can still tilt the joycons if you want to curve your punches.

Ooh, right!

Top Bottom