• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS producer confirms more characters/modes, single Joy-Con controls, and more

Doorman

Looked around and was shocked to find there wasn't a thread about this already...

Arms producer on the game’s origins, more news about content to come, controls, more

NintendoEverything posted a translation of a Famitsu interview with ARMS producer Kosuke Yabuki, and he touches on a lot of points that I've seen come up in prior topics about the game. I've picked up a couple of excepts, adding my own bold for emphasis:

On game origins said:
I’m assuming that these prototypes are created to test very basic gameplay concepts. So, what kind of concept did Arms originate as? I would imagine it started as a boxing game where the characters’ arms would stretch out…

No, it was not originally a concept for a boxing game. There are many fighting games, like Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros., or even “3D fighters” like Tekken, where the game is viewed side-on. Since the beginning of fighting games, the side view has been the mainstream, but I’ve always thought, why couldn’t we do it a little differently? However, it can be difficult to gauge depth in games where the camera is behind you. So I was absolutely convinced that it would not be suited for fighting games, which require precise distance control. But the fact that your arms extend, and that it takes a bit of time for them to impact, makes it quite likely your attacks will succeed. My idea was to have the game’s tactics revolve less around whether your attack would hit or not, and more around the timing and delay between your attacks connecting. So in pursuing a new kind of fighting game where the camera is behind you and your arms extend, Arms was born.

On characters said:
At this event, there are five characters available, each with three different types of arms. Will there be more characters in the retail version?

There will be more characters, with more arm types. What we have available today is just a portion of what will be available in the full game. You can look forward to more information gradually coming out as the release date approaches.

On advancements in playstyle said:
It seems like it would be strategically sound to keep at least one arm ready at all times, instead of sending both out to attack at once.

We’ve let all sorts of people play the game, and after spending some time with it, most of them decide “I shouldn’t punch too often”, and wait to react to their opponent’s attacks instead. But once they pass that stage, they do things like manipulate their opponent’s movements with constant attacks or force them into corners. Their strategic capabilities grow more advanced, so there’s a big difference in how people fight depending on their skill.

On additional modes said:
You announced a single-player and online mode, but will there be any other modes available?

There are many more that everyone can look forward to… but I can’t talk about them (laughs). Having only 1v1 matches in the online mode would be too exhausting, so there are other modes being prepared. However, the game is boiling down to 1v1 battles in the end, with them as the main focus and the other modes being on the side.

So will those modes be challenging, unlike, say, a party game?

We’re trying to make the kind of game where your skill in 1v1 matches naturally increases as you play the various different modes.

On controls said:
What was the reason you chose to use the ‘thumbs up pose’ out of the numerous control schemes available?

During the Switch’s development, we were wondering how we could hold the Joy-Con to play games. Even though it supports the standard grip, the Joy-Con fits in your palms nicely if you tilt them. I thought, if we were to make a game that involved swinging the Joy-Con around, it should use that kind of grip. So, we decided to combine the prototype that became the basis for Arms with that grip style. And, since the internal sensors are more accurate, you can control it with much lighter movement, so I don’t think it will be that tiring. Since there will probably be some people who aren’t good at the physical controls, we made it possible to play using the buttons as well. They can use the buttons on the Joy-Con, or the Pro Controller. It is also possible to play using just one Joy-Con, so you can share the fun and play with others.

Can they play without any problems, using only one Joy-Con?

Yes. But their available actions might be a little limited. So you should use two Joy-Con when you’re looking to get serious… that’s how we designed the game.

Final thoughts said:
Finally, could you say something to the readers who are looking forward to the game?

Arms is a brand new IP, so we’re starting from scratch. Our goal is to make a game with an enjoyable physical control scheme, that also has a lot of strategy and technical gameplay. I look forward to getting feedback from everyone, because I believe this game has aspects that will evolve together with the playerbase. So I hope you’ll look forward to it.

...So! Yes, the producer confirms again that you can use non-motion button controls, and even admits you can play the game with a single joycon, albeit with slightly limited functionality. My personal guess would be that you're limited in how you're able to curve punches. Fine enough if you're just demoing the game's concept to a friend, but it sounds like the double joycon thumbs-up is the way to go for major play. He also confirms modes beyond just 1v1 fights and seems to hint that they're designed in such a way to train the player in certain game aspects to get them prepared for real battles. Definitely getting some shades of Splatoon's single player out of that sort of concept.

And yes, just as common sense would dictate, the final game will have more than just five characters and the current arm selections. There are a lot of other little details and origin thoughts in the full interview so do give it a look, but I figured I'd at least bring up some of the common concerns people were raising after the game was first revealed. Sounds to me like they're giving this the full treatment!

Punch me from a distance and around a corner if old.

Sounds to me like they're giving this the full treatment!

Yeah, I never doubted that. This game is obviously a response to the success of Splatoon. It's a bit similar in that it's another EAD esque take on a competitive genre, this time being 1v1 fighting games.

I have no doubt Nintendo is going to be pushing this as a major title for the Switch. Which is why I think it's really unfortunate that I'm seeing some folks say "Well, there's nothing between Zelda at Launch and Splatoon/Mario later in the year!" even though, well, there is. Unless this game gets delayed farther in the year or something.

random25

Finally an official confirmation about more content coming into the final version. At least it will stop those who are saying that the demo with only 5 characters is the final package lol.

Can't wait to see more of this game.

In news that shocks no one except for GAF, where people have never been exposed to the concept of a demo before

But good to have further/reiterated confirmation

The idea that the Mario Kart team would make a new IP bereft of content, or that a demo would somehow represent the full game (when that's never been the case) is ludicrous

Doorman

Yeah, I never doubted that. This game is obviously a response to the success of Splatoon. It's a bit similar in that it's another EAD esque take on a competitive genre, this time being 1v1 fighting games.

Considering how they talk in the interview about starting with "a new kind of fighting game" as the basis, it makes me wonder just how often Nintendo's toyed around with prototypes in more "competitive" genres that they haven't typically been involved in. I really wouldn't be surprised to find they've already gone through tests for MOBAs or the like and just haven't hit upon a gameplay style that they feel works well enough yet.

Getting, like, a book or something put together of their "cutting room floor" of game concepts would be really fascinating.

Kouichi

While I expected ARMS to get a solid amount of content, I'm happy to see a confirmation on more modes beside the core 1v1 battles. I can't wait to see everything this game has to offer.

Good to hear now im interested in seeing what other modes there are seeing as this game is supposed to be out in spring hope we get a direct soon. I really want this game to do well for Nintendo as that means more new big IPs for them.

Looking forward to keeping my arms toned by playing ARMS plethora of mini games.
Pretty easy game would be to prevent something from hitting the ground by timing punches.

Peléo

Every single developer who has mentioned arms emphasised the depth and strategic aspect of the game. From the reveal, to the Tree-house stream and now this interview. Can't wait for the ARMS direct.

Happy to see it will be possible to play multiplayer with a single Switch as well. His comments about the online modes make me believe there will be some kind of Co-op mode.

I think that the most interesting take from that interview is that they started with the camera angle, not the control scheme.

Single joycon thing made me seriously think about getting the game, before it was just "well, it's a fighting game and I'm not a fan" but now... Funny how that works.

Doorman

Why was more modes in question?

More or less this. VVV

Because people here don't understand what a demo is

There were people after the presentation that still didn't even realize that you can select different fist-types for different effects, or that the characters have different attributes just like any fighting game cast does. Mainly it just seemed to stem from the same issue that Splatoon ran into early on: the assumption that being a new IP means it must be a comparatively low-effort title and the single main mode they first displayed is all it was going to have.

The game got a lot of early comparisons to Wii Boxing strictly because it's a motion-controlled punching game, and since Wii Boxing had little depth, the assumption was made of Arms too. Yabuki explicitly states in the interview in a section I didn't quote that they had no need or desire to make a new Wii Sports boxing game, this is meant to be something entirely different.

Mariolee

Single Joycon is music to my ears. Glad I don't have to drop another 80 bucks to play with someone who doesn't own a Switch.

hatchx

Banned
There are many more [modes] that everyone can look forward to
What we have available today is just a portion of what will be available in the full game.

So more characters and many more modes! Sounds great. Was worried it'd be lacking content like SFV style.

Lots of characters, lots of levels, lots of modes, lots of costumes/unlockables. Beef it up and make it AAA!

wildfire

Banned
🤔 Is 🤔 it 🤔 Really 🤔 EVO 🤔 if 🤔 it 🤔 doesn't 🤔 have 🤔 ARMS? 🤔

Evo never had Fight Night at the main stage.

In still unsure about this game. I'm looking forward to the demo to get a feel of it.

I wonder if they'll offer a campaign.

Other modes other than 1vs1... huh, what can that mean? I hope it would be a beat em up kind of thing in which you would have actual levels, maybe even with platforming action, which you could traverse in co-op with other players.

But if I think more realistically I think it will probably be just a horde mode within the same sort of arenas as what we've seen for the 1vs1 mode. Kind of like what that Overwacht Halloween special mode was. Hope I'm wrong though.

For anyone that played the demo, how easy ams precise is it to maneuver around in the game? Could you imagine being able to move around without being locked on to a single enemy just circle strafing around him?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I don't see single player being something with level design. Probably just elaborate training modes and mini games to help you get better at the game.

I don't see single player being something with level design. Probably just elaborate training modes and mini games to help you get better at the game.

Yeah, probably, but it'd be a shame as a proper story driven mode would help flesh out the world, the lore and the characters so much more.

Overwatch doesn't have one and still pulled it off though but I'm sure that's no easy task.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The camera in this game is designed for 1v1 with the players locked onto each other at all times, so I don't really think it's realistic to expect a horde mode or anything involving multiple opponents.

correojon

You never know, Nintendo are masters at teaching/training players through pure gameplay and intelligent level design. It seems like mobility is a big part of combat, with some levels featuring trampolines, so they could pull off a proper SP campaign. I´m getting huge Splatoon vibes from this.

spekkeh

Banned
I really hope they can find a balance where playing with normal buttons doesn't feel gimped and yet you gain a competitive advantage by using the motion controls.

random25

I really hope they can find a balance where playing with normal buttons doesn't feel gimped and yet you gain a competitive advantage by using the motion controls.

I think the pro controller and full-pair Joycons setup gives full access to what motion controls can do, since you have all the buttons and the sticks to map everything in there. Only the half-pair of a Joycon is the gimped one because of less buttons and analog sticks.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Eh, I couid see some more elaborate environments with platforms or something maybe. Not like Smash-style nonsense, but some different arena shapes etc.

hatchx

Banned

Arcade mode, 1v1, online, training games, mini games. Honestly sounds good to me.

A good reason to keep playing solo is what I'm looking for. Unlockables. Trophies. An in game store for costumes. Unlockables characters. Give me lots of that stuff.

GAF told me the demo was everything

And people arent really this stupid. At least 90 procent of those who suggested that are just haters who try to find every possible way to shitpost about Switch and it's games and Nintendo. It's getting really tiring when you try to have a good conversation going and try to look for real info.

Top Bottom