• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Single Joycon Non-Motion Controls Detailed

Zedark

These impressions are for single joy-con play only

Nothing has been said about the pro controller/dual joy-con controls

Hold your damn horses, people
But if they can't get the single joy-con controls right, what hope is there for good pro controller controls?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But if they can't get the single joy-con controls right, what hope is there for good pro controller controls?

You what now? That shit was impossible from the get go, no reasonable was expecting a single joycon two replicate to joycon's motion capability.

I'm guessing this is sarcasm.

Plum

7 more buttons is that hope (8 if you count + or -). They've even come forward to say that single joy-con play would be restricted, they've never done that for pro controller play. As I said, hold your horses, after the recent Lego City: Undercover debacle I've learnt that panicking before we know everything rarely ends well.

EDIT: Oh, sarcasm. Guess my detector was a bit faulty.

DrLazy

Could Nintendo combine the gyro from the Pro Controller as movement and standard controls.

I know that's not 100% standard controls, but as another option you think that would work well?

You could use tilt to move but I doubt that would have the needed finesse. Alternatively you could use the face buttons like a d-pad but again I think that's suboptimal
The "right" answer would be to alter the core design to not allow you to move both hands in opposite directions simultaneously OR not let you move while punching. Both sound like options that would significantly hurt the gameplay.

Pandy

Which has the benefit of acting as a wired controller when plugged in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Switch Pro Controller can do that.

My understanding (from GAF) was that the Dualshock4 does NOT act as a wired controller when plugged in. It just draws power.

I read this in one of the PS4 Pro threads, in relation to the new model Dualshock4 which does now act as a wired controller when plugged in.

I'll never understand how people say this, bow was unusable until i turned that trash off.

Weird. Works superbly for me (Pro Controller).

Doorman

This is a curious situation, since EDGE mentions the "dual stick" options but also seems to infer that the limitations are based around the single joycon control scheme. It could be that they only mentioned the other options but played with single joycon and the Pro/Dog controllers still have more features, but I could see it being just as likely that Nintendo created a singular "buttons" control scheme to work with all non-motion options, for the sake of only having two control schemes instead of confusing people with three or more.

The eSports concern angle I can kind of understand with regard to this, but I'm curious about all the folks in here talking about how they'll only play in handheld mode: If you're primarily just playing in handheld mode while on the go, how much does the other control methods having more options really affect you? People aren't going to be playing tournament-style real matches in handheld mode, I suppose you could do online fights via Wi-Fi but for a fighting game, that kind of connection would put you into suboptimal conditions anyway. So if you're mostly just playing a bout or two against the CPU in handheld mode while on the train to work or wherever else, the game is still going to be entirely playable but not ideal...is that really that much of a deal-breaker for a game like ARMS?

The devs haven't been shy since moment one about preferring motion controls to be the competitive standard for the game, and it seems that the game itself was built around that conception of the "thumbs-up grip" in the first place. I'm kind of impressed they put in the work to put together single-joycon controls at all, though I too would be disappointed if there's not some better way to implement things with a dual-stick controller.

Weird how people think a competitive game where you have to be physically active cannot be an esport???

People keep bringing up nonsense reasons like it can only be viable if it has a wired and pro controller option. eSports competitors are going to use the best/most precise control method. If that's wireless motion controls that's what they'll use

For 1 Joycon:
  • Left Stick = moves character.
  • L & R = Pucnhes.
  • L & R Hold = Curve punches inward.
  • L & R Hold + Stick in a direction = Curve Punches outward.

Optional:
  • Tilt Joycon = Block. (Responsive and quick enough to work in my experience)
The above share the same limitations of motion controls in terms of punching vs moving. The diffeernce been that it would be less precise, but at the least remains similary intuitive.

Distribute Dash/Jump with ABXY however, this is the least critical part of the controls.

What do you mean "Complete Experience"? If the Motion gives an advantage, is the Pro Controller not a "Complete Experience"?

I can't get a "Complete Experience" of shifting gears in a racing game without a wheel and gearbox...better not play them.

That's different. I'm saying if there are moves I simply cannot do within the game because I'm not using motion controls, that's a problem for me. In your example, I can still shift gears using buttons on a standard controller.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think they should just tell us what it will be. Why so secretive ?
Eh I don't really think simply telling makes much sense (I mean when was the last time a game advertised that?) There should either be a stress test ideally or a treehouse type stream where it's explained.

molnizzle

I'll never understand how people say this, bow was unusable until i turned that trash off.

You've got a screw loose, I'm afraid.

BotW gyro aiming was sublime. First instance of gyro aiming that I really enjoyed. I played Horizon after BotW and was supremely frustrated that my aim wasn't adjusting when I made slight motion tweaks. Once you get used to it there's really no substitute.

Splatoon 2 testfire, on the other hand... was terrible for motion controls. Couldn't wrap my head around it. Turned off immediately.

Totakeke

Well to be clear, there's no where in the article that states the controls described are for the the single joy-cons only, that's just the hopeful (and fair) assumption of many. I can imagine a scenario where they decided twin-analog non-motion controls were too complex and just said screw it and implemented that control scheme for all controllers.

Before anyone gets angry, it's also entirely possible that the game can still be very fun with that control scheme, not everyone needs the full range of motions for the game to be enjoyable. In fact it may be more enjoyable when people don't have to learn twin-analog controls to play the game.

Top Bottom