• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Single Joycon Non-Motion Controls Detailed

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"The controls in this game that I've never played are awful."

I'll see you guys a week after ARMS is released lol

I mean, this literally tells us nothing. We need both joycons/pro controls. I will only play in handheld mode so this info is worthless to me.

I hope you can move/punch at the same time in handheld mode. I also hope you don't have to click in the analog stick in handheld mode to guard. I hate clicking the analog sticks in but especially in a fighting game. It sounds just plain bad.

molnizzle

If the full controller setup is different, they need to detail it, pronto.

People don't like being treated like red headed step children for not using motion.

Yep.

If Pro controller can't curve swings with the right stick that's some grade-A bullshit that I refuse to support.

Splatoon did fine. And it'll be inferior to motion controls, so why not learn them?

Splatoon uses subtle controller movements to tweak your aim. This is way different. I play games to relax, not to get exercise.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Control schemes have to be intuitive in some fashion. You can't map leftwards, rightwards, forwards, backwards movement to four trigger buttons without it feeling you're juggling with some monstrosity. And then what if I want to dash/evade instead of move? I'll have to grow another thumb to push another button while controlling the analog stick?

Who said they're would all be trigger buttons. The game essentially works based on Z targeting or lock on. You move relative to the other player not independently. You use hold and tap to differentiate dash and movement.

Totakeke

Who said they're would all be trigger buttons. The game essentially works based on Z targeting or lock on. You move relative to the other player not independently. You use hold and tap to differentiate dash and movement.

What's your moving forward and backwards button?

thefro

The EDGE article also mentions there's items that appear each round (which can switched off in the options menu). One powers up your super, one heals you, and the other is a time bomb that you and your opponent can "hot potato" back and forth with punches until it explodes.

mewtheed on the Nintendo Switch Reddit found one of the items in the last direct.

cwkkB1z.png

It's from the 2v2 part of the direct. When you punch the drone it drops the item.

Totakeke

Another button any you feel is optimal. Some will use face buttons for button/moving others bumping. That's detailed in the excerpt.

So you'll have to take your thumbs off the analog sticks when you're moving forwards and backwards.

Also aren't all the shoulder buttons on Switch controllers digital instead of analog?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So you'll have to take your thumbs off the analog sticks when you're moving forwards and backwards.

Also aren't all the shoulder buttons on Switch controllers digital instead of analog?

That's why I said tap and hold rather than differentiating by the trigger pressure. I think that'd be similar to motion anyway Dashing forward while punching doesn't seem to be a easy thing momentarily doing it before or after seems much easier.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've yet to play any game where a motion flick isn't demonstrably worse than pressing a button in terms of responsiveness.

I really wish the switch had no motion capabilities in it at all.

It's by far the worst part of BOTW.

it's extremely good for aiming precisely with the bow

Using your own body is not as accurate as using a controller...

...according to some people.

I remember people having this debate in June 2014 about Splatoon and Gyro Aiming and then I was the first person at EGX 2014 in September to play it...it worked fine.

Played ARMS the week before the Switch came out and had no issues with using the motion.

But some people don't like change.

I mean, can someone show me a game which maps Left and Right arms to each Thumbstick and it works well? As in "Gee, this game tracks my swings so accurately I wouldn't need motion at all!"
Its not about liking change. I loved the motion controls in Splatoon/Splatoon 2 testfire.

But I want to go full handheld. The motion controls in Arms do not lend itself to handheld mode at all. And I won't detach my joycons in handheld mode since that is uncomfortable to me. Alot.

I am starting to worry that I won't find this fun in handheld mode. Hopefully the handheld controls are detailed really soon so I can make a buying decision. I will not play this game on a tv, so if handheld controls are bad, I may sadly skip this game. Which I really don't want to do. It should still be find when you had the extra set of buttons, but they need to detail the controls exactly.

Totakeke

That's why I said tap and hold rather than differentiating by the trigger pressure. I think that'd be similar to motion anyway Dashing forward while punching doesn't seem to be a easy thing momentarily doing it before or after seems much easier.

Then how about moving left and backwards at the same time? Hold the trigger button and another face button at the same time? How do you punch during that?

The point is once you have to go through all that complexity just to reach motion control parity, something has gone wrong.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Its not about liking change. I loved the motion controls in Splatoon/Splatoon 2 testfire.

But I want to go full handheld. The motion controls in Arms do not lend itself to handheld mode at all. And I won't detach my joycons in handheld mode since that is uncomfortable to me. Alot.

I am starting to worry that I won't find this fun in handheld mode. Hopefully the handheld controls are detailed really soon so I can make a buying decision. I will not play this game on a tv, so if handheld controls are bad, I may sadly skip this game. Which I really don't want to do. It should still be find when you had the extra set of buttons, but they need to detail the controls exactly.

The game needs a demo. This was blatantly obvious once it was revealed. Not quite sure why Nintendo haven't announced a stress test yet or even a direct at least.

Then how about moving left and backwards at the same time? Hold the trigger button and another face button at the same time? How do you punch during that?

The point is once you have to go through all that complexity just to reach motion control parity, something has gone wrong.

How do you do that in motion? I'm not even sure you can they'd be different inputs if your already punching. The limitations your talking about are all their in motion controls as well as the issue of misreading motions if your being that complex.

Totakeke

How do you do that in motion? I'm not even sure you can they'd be different inputs if your already punching..

To move in any direction (any degree within the full 360), you just tilt in that direction instead of using a combination of up down left right. You lose that with your control scheme.

As to moving and controlling punching motions at the same time, I posed that as a question yet to be answered even for motion controls. I don't have an answer but you said that very easy with traditional controls.

The EDGE article also mentions there's items that appear each round (which can switched off in the options menu). One powers up your super, one heals you, and the other is a time bomb that you and your opponent can "hot potato" back and forth with punches until it explodes.

mewtheed on the Nintendo Switch Reddit found one of the items in the last direct.

cwkkB1z.png

It's from the 2v2 part of the direct. When you punch the drone it drops the item.

Mario Kart?

Blue Shells? Lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To move in any direction (any degree within the full 360), you just tilt in that direction instead of using a combination of up down left right. You lose that with your control scheme.

As to moving and controlling punching motions at the same time, I posed that as a question yet to be answered even for motion controls. I don't have an answer but you said that very easy with traditional controls.

That was in one direction. I wasn't talking about going to the side and back simultaneously while punching with both arms,

TheMoon

Have we not passed the "motion controls=bad" mindset? Hopefully dual joycons provide a better traditional experience for those who really hate motion.

We never will. It has been widely decided that motion control and similar terms translate directly to "waving your arms around like your ass is on fire" which makes all your neighbors look through the window and stare at you while your pants fall down. #gamerfacts

I'm not saying it's bound to happen again with arms, but in the past Nintendo made same stupid things concerning controls in order to support the lowest common denominator like Wii mote only controls. Mario 3D World, NSMB and DKTF really suffered from the fact that supported controllers with more buttons were not allowed to actually use them. Although they are still great games.

Edit:
I should clarify that I already played the game with motion controls and liked it.

In what way? All of them support multiple controllers and are in no need of extra button features?!

Could Nintendo combine the gyro from the Pro Controller as movement and standard controls.

I know that's not 100% standard controls, but as another option you think that would work well?

Totakeke

That was in one direction. I wasn't talking about going to the side and back simultaneously while punching with both arms,

Sure, I'd say being able to move around the arena precisely is far more important than juggling movement and punch directions at this point though. Would you consider being able to move in 8 directions parity with motion controls?

Regiruler

Splatoon did fine. And it'll be inferior to motion controls, so why not learn them?
That's not the problem. The problem is this impression seems to confirm only the most basic of control schemes, while many gaffers could draw up so much more. We have no confirmation at all whether there is a more advanced control scheme, which is incredibly worrying.

That's not the problem. The problem is this impression seems to confirm only the most basic of control schemes, while many gaffers could draw up so much more. We have no confirmation at all whether there is a more advanced control scheme, which is incredibly worrying.

But isn't it just a single joycon?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sure, I'd say being able to move around the arena precisely is far more important than juggling movement and punch directions at this point though. Would you consider being able to move in 8 directions parity with motion controls?

Close enough yeah.

Neoxon

no it doesn't.
unless they updated it after launch.
The revised versions do.

I've yet to play any game where a motion flick isn't demonstrably worse than pressing a button in terms of responsiveness.

I really wish the switch had no motion capabilities in it at all.

It's by far the worst part of BOTW.
That's a bit of an overkill solution. You'd be gimping a number of Nintendo's games by taking out motion controls, including Splatoon.

AKC12

I've been saying that the only way for the pro controller to be able to do everything that the motion controls can do is to set the curving of punches to the sticks, and set movement to the pro controller's gyro sensors.

But whether that is more practical, mainly because your thumb has to be away from the face buttons to be able to curve the right arm, is another question of itself.

I really hope it's balanced between motion and non-motion controls. Some people like me just can't fuck with motion controls no matter how perfect they are.

What do you mean "Complete Experience"? If the Motion gives an advantage, is the Pro Controller not a "Complete Experience"?

In a game that's supposed to be competitive, yeah. Before someone says "Well a fightstick is an advantage." No it's not because it's all about preference.

If you are fine with one control scheme being inherently better that's fine but, not to me lol.

"Game is better with motion controls, therefore, it must not be the next Splatoon."

What

Splatoon is highly playable without motion. I actually think it is better without motion. But that id the minority opinion.

I'm not saying it won't be good. But if the standard non motion controls don't work, then it will stunt some of its growth potential.

Shiggy

Aren't the motion controls what makes this game exciting? Were people angry that they couldn't play Wii Sports Boxing with buttons?

zenspider

It really is best played using the motion controls. I think people will be pleasantly surprised. You can pull off everything you need to with very small movements, you don't have to flail.

I'm really curious if this will end up like Splatoon where there is a distinct advantage to the motion and the casual-core gamers will insist on traditional input because "waggle".

atr0cious

Splatoon is highly playable without motion. I actually think it is better without motion. But that id the minority opinion.
You can't even use rollers properly (jumping while moving) with non motion controls. Not to mention jump shooting in general is a big part of the meta.

Aren't the motion controls what makes this game exciting? Were people angry that they couldn't play Wii Sports Boxing with buttons?

Nintendo is trying to make this game competitive towards fighting game players as well. The game could still easily be fun, at least from what I seen, without motion controls because of the character's abilities, glove combinations and how it looks.

That Wii boxing burn is a bit harsh I think lol.

Some people just want to use the Switch as a portable device.
I use the Switch mostly as a portable. This seems like a hard pass.

Also these.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Umm wii sports didn't give you option to play with buttons this does. It should have relative parity though absolute is obviously impossible.

spekkeh

Banned
I hope they nerf the non motion controls as much as possible. Get off your butts lardasses, and stop sitting in the way of innovation like the Snorlax that you are.

/hottake

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I am totally confident that night tendon Mario Kart team isn't able to set up controls for their game.

Absolutely.

Lol

DMONKUMA

It does but because the Switch is a hybrid console some people(including me) would want to be able to play the game on go as well.

Kudo

I like that they're pushing the motion controls as default, for one Joy-con it is understandable that some actions just doesn't fit in the controller, but what kind of situation you'd be playing with only one? If you own one set of Joy-cons and play with friend I'd assume, and in that case both of you will be sharing the disadvantage.
Can't really think how'd they fit the whole angling punches to Pro Controller too, they probably need to use gyro for movement, analog sticks for punches and triggers for other stuff.

Plum

These impressions are for single joy-con play only

Nothing has been said about the pro controller/dual joy-con controls

Hold your damn horses, people

ASIS

Wait moving around isn't precise?

Zemm

Can they give us a demo or testfire for this game? I want to try out the controls before I buy it, I'm not convinced yet.

Not requiring motion controls is the thing about this game that gives me the most doubt.

They should have focused 100% on motion controls, if that's what the game is about.

Top Bottom