• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of Two screens (PSP)

6irwo4.jpg

u1lj8.jpg

auuk61.jpg

15rkxmb.jpg

1z6croi.jpg

s6udyc.jpg

ou9w8n.jpg

16ayxkz.jpg

Killzone liberation style.
Courtesy of thaOwner who posted them in the Psp 2009 thread.

Captain N

Phantast2k said:
Indeed! Sounded like shit on paper, but now I'm intrigued.

I wonder how closely Sony is working with these third parties to try and push out some good games on the PSP. I hope Assassin's Creed looks at least this game. No gameloft please.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I was expecting yet another game with lazy dual analog controls forced onto the PSP, but it seems like they're trying to make a proper PSP game with this. Nice, hope it turns out well.

Top down? Smart move indeed, saved a potential disaster and turned it into something interesting and suited to the platform.

thaOwner

KTallguy said:
Looks more interesting than the PS3/360 game for sure.
Agreed. Didn't know what to expect from the PSP version of the game but these screens look really good and infinitely more interesting than its console counter part.

Cant wait to see this in motion.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Character proportions remind me of Team Fortress 2. Which beats the hell out of generic gritty realism.

I hope it's more Neo Contra than Killzone Liberation, though. Just give me mindless blasting and leave the tactical malarkey out. Fits the license better that way anyway.

JimiNutz

Banned
graphics are stunning for a PSP game.
I wonder how good LBP, Motorstorm PSP, GT Mobile etc. are going to look!

Busty

Banned
I've been very impressed by the latest batch of PSP exclusives over the last year or so.

It's a capable and powerful piece if hardware no doubt but it's still great that developers are still managing to squeeze some juice out of it even at this point in it's lifespan.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just make an Ikari Warriors game with co-op and Incredibles-esque art style. I don't want ports of big console franchises. Portable games at portable prices, please.

DenogginizerOS said:
Just make an Ikari Warriors game with co-op and Incredibles-esque art style. I don't want ports of big console franchises. Portable games at portable prices, please.

I believe Sony went to major publishers and told them not to do direct ports and make the games more short play friendly. I dont see the problem with big name games on the psp, as long as they make them friendly to being played for short periods of time.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gamerecks said:
I believe Sony went to major publishers and told them not to do direct ports and make the games more short play friendly. I dont see the problem with big name games on the psp, as long as they make them friendly to being played for short periods of time.
I just don't want to pay premium prices for portable games that come from console franchises. If PSN games are mostly $10-$15 and can be played in a similar way, then I would like to see a similar approach with the PSP. One reason I have not embraced portable gaming is the damn prices. When I think of Army of Two on PSP, I think $29.99-$39.99 for a franchise that had a lukewarm start as it is. I just hope we see more PSN/portable game press releases in the coming days and not more like this Army of Two one.

Binabik15

gamerecks said:

That´s good to hear. The PSP is awesome and very powerful, so it´s understandable that some devs tried to downport PS2 games. But just because the graphics are impressive and somewhat comparable to the PS2 doesn´t mean that the PS2 controls reduced to one analog stick will work.

That´s why IMO Metal Gear Ac!d 1 and 2 are much better than protable ops and Liberation rocks so much, because they´re suited to the PSPs limitations.

Interestingly, the stop and shoot mechanic of Resident Evil 4 would also work really well on the PSP
Please! Please Capcom, puuuuh leaaaase D:
Edit: And it´s totally capable of local co-op. Argh, now I want Resident Evil PSP even more.

Oh, and if American prices sound bad, Patapon was a whopping 40 Euros here in Germany. That´s why I never bought it.

Kiriku said:
I was expecting yet another game with lazy dual analog controls forced onto the PSP, but it seems like they're trying to make a proper PSP game with this. Nice, hope it turns out well.

I'm suprised it took so long for someone else to do it after KZL.

I never did play the first game, but this looks like they are least trying to adapt the game in a way that suits the platform, both the gameplay and the visuals.

thaOwner

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm suprised it took so long for someone else to do it after KZL.

I never did play the first game, but this looks like they are least trying to adapt the game in a way that suits the platform, both the gameplay and the visuals.
Actually someone did try it and FAILED miserably.

OnPoint

I almost didn't see the (PSP) in the title and thought "Army of Two Screens" was a cleverly titled reveal for a DS version.

That does look really good though.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow that actually looks pretty inspired. I thought this would be a lame port where they'd try to transplant the exact game to PSP but it looks like they're actually putting thought into this. Nice. I love how the graphic style meets gritty Vs. cartoony halfway.

bluemax

Banned
Jinfash said:
Why won't they release this on the Wii instead? I just don't understand.

Maybe whoever is developing it has no experience with Wii but lots of experience with PSP?

Also for everyone who is asking for top down shooter/Ikari Warriors type of gameplay on the PSP I urge you to check out Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on PSP. It's a top down arcade style shooter patterned after games like Wolf of the Battlefield/Ikari Warriors and so on.

Full disclosure though, I was involved in the development of the title so I am biased.

Top Bottom