• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel Game Informer Details

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Have you been psyched for the return of Army of Two?

Have you been craving "difficult choices that pit following orders against moral instincts"?

Have you been yearning for slow motion, sepia toned shoot-outs?

Have you been dying for another third person cover shooter in the same month as Gears of War: Judgment and Tomb Raider 9?

Well, look no further!

Gaming Everything said:
Game Informer’s latest issue has a blowout of EA and Visceral Montreal’s new project, Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel. The title was announced for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 last week with a launched planned for March 2013.

Check out a roundup of the first Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel details below. The information covers story bits, gameplay elements, and more.

- Visceral Montreal is aware of the different reactions to the series’ past games
- Executive producer Julian Beak on the character changes: “It’s much more straightforward to start with characters that are in the universe but aren’t the ones you had before”
- New characters, setting, more mature tone
- Most of the team is new to the series
- Salem and Rios are in the game, and they’re a big part of the story
- At the same time, they’re both taking a background role as top executives of the Tactical Worldwide Operations organization
- New duo: Alpha and Bravo
- Game is set in Mexico, a nation besieged by extraordinarily violent drug cartels
- Tens of thousands of people have been murdered by cartels over the past 10 years
- This includes people involved in the drug trade and civilians
- There are decapitated bodies left in streets
- Mutilated corpses hung from public places to serve as warnings
- Won’t learn of Alpha and Bravo’s real names in the game
- Alpha is a veteran of multiple armed conflicts with the U.S. military and special forces
- Wasn’t until Rios offered him the opportunity to use his tactical skills “for good” that he considered becoming a mercenary
- Alpha considers himself to be more of a soldier or operative than a mercenary
- Alpha is a born leader
- He thinks of T.W.O. as a chance to bring military precision and ruthless efficiency to a para-military environment
- Bravo served one tour with the U.S. army
- After this, he decided military life wasn’t suited for him
- Bravo took odd jobs and was a freelancer with various private military companies around the world after returning to the U.S.
- T.W.O. headhunted Bravo after a high-profile urban rescue operation in the Balkans
- He jumped at the chance to work with Elliot Salem
- Compared to Alpha Bravo is more about quick reactions, instincts, and raw talent to keep alive in battle
- Visceral is treating the cartel wars maturely
- Alpha and Bravo won’t fix everything for Mexico
- Won’t he high-fiving during battle or anything like that
- Game begins with T.W.O. taking on a mission to protect La Puerta’s mayor, Juan Angelo Cordova, as he attends a political rally
- He’s only been in office for a short while but has already made enemies by taking on the La Guadana cartel
- This is a fictional organization also known as the Scythe
- The group murdered Cordova’s family in retaliation for his anti-cartel stance
- La Guadana has been built by Esteban Bautista into an international crime syndicate by gun running and drug smuggling
- It’s also a strong paramilitary force
- T.W.O. has grown since the events in The 40th Day in terms of size and reputation
- T.W.O. doesn’t operate in secrecy
- Visceral wants to provide context for the big moments
- Alpha and Bravo face difficult choices that pit following orders against moral instincts
- The two team up with GAFE and Salem and Rios during the story
- Mostly operate without backup
- Cover is important in the game
- Need to press a button to duck into or behind safety, unlike past games
- Other cover zones are marked with an icon
- Press the cover button to move into the new area
- Can cancel the animation by moving in another direction
- Also use the cover button to vault over low objects including air-conditioning ducts
- Use it together with the run button to make Alpha/Bravo move up and over smaller cover items
- New HUD direction
- Aggrometer seems to be gone
- Overkill feature brought in so that players can trigger back-to-back moments
- Overkill reinforces and rewards co-op
- When your partner activates Overkill at the same time, you go into Double Overkill
- Action slows down, audio comes to a crawl, and the screen takes on a sepia tone
- This makes your shots more powerful
- Double Overkill ends after roughly 15 seconds
- Cooperating can lead to more money and Overkill points
- Adjust weapon accuracy and recoil with upgrades
- Two main orders for the AI: follow and advance
- AI is more aware of how combat is unfolding
- AI will be balanced so that it’s tactically useful while not completely taking over
- Players can choose which part they want to play when the characters are split up
- AI interface still being worked on
Source: http://gamingeverything.com/26251/first-army-of-two-the-devils-cartel-details/

DTKT

The first two games concept was good. A game focused around two player coop could be great. It's just that the execution and the quality wasn't there.

Anyway, the setting and the story sound as generic as you can make them.

Alpha and Bravo face difficult choices that pit following orders against moral instincts

Can't wait for the cringe worthy moments. No hope.

Ridley327

Salem is in the game? For a second there, I was worried that they weren't going to find a way to get Nolan North into this!

Labadal

I'll get this for £15. Played the first two games with my brother and thought they were decent action games. I don't really play these types of games, so it won't feel like I have played something like it 500 times.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully it has a final boss unlike 2.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Come on you can't actually be excited for this can you?

Gotta admit i'm a little bit. One of the reasons, it's Visceral who is behind that so i have faith.

Edit: congrats on the new tag lol

Dibbz

If I had to sum up the Army of Two franchise with one word it'd be generic. Even with Visceral behind it I can't get hyped.

Gotta admit i'm a little bit. One of the reasons, it's Visceral who is behind that so i have faith.

Edit: congrats on the new tag lol
I gotta admit Visceral makes this way more interesting than it would be otherwise.

Also the potential for loads of hilarious racism ala Call of Juarez The Cartel.

KissVibes

Banned
At the same time, they’re both taking a background role as top executives of the Tactical Worldwide Operations organization

But...they started TRANS-WORLD OPERATIONS. Is this going to be a nod to Blackwater's various name changes?

- Aggrometer seems to be gone

One of the best ideas in the series stripped out. Fuck that.

Clearly these guys are clowns and don't know anything about the series or the storylines.

DTKT

I wonder if it's really a collaboration with Visceral or EA just wants to use the "quality" associated with the Dead Space game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Got my mag. game looks Brown as shit and they even show an obvious turret spot. also lol at dudes named alpha and bravo . just go ahead and call them dude and bro

I had a lot of fun with the first game, but never managed to finish the second one even though it had some good ideas (branching choices/comic scenes). The core concept is still a good one though and I'd be down if they manage to execute well enough.

Part of the reason I can co-op so well with my buddies is because of our experience with Army of Two and Left 4 Dead. Both of those games have this one thing in common: By the end of these games on the harder difficulties you and your co-op partners have a near psychic bond and a suite of "plays" that you're all ready to run at a moment's notice. THAT to me is what co-op is all about.

And fuck the world, I actually enjoyed the bro moments. So sue me. Its just another fun way to emote/celebrate in games that usually don't have them.

I wish them luck, they'll need it.

Nizz

Have you been craving "difficult choices that pit following orders against moral instincts"?

Have you been dying for another third person cover shooter in the same month as Gears of War: Judgment and Tomb Raider 9?
Fuck yeah!! ;)

Aaron

As someone who enjoyed the series, this sounds like shit.

... damn, I've been saying that a lot lately. Game devs, what are you doing? Aren't games allowed to be fun anymore?

foxdvd

I did not think I would want it after the last game...but when I heard Visceral Games was making it....I suddenly wanted it.

Salsa

you know, if they release it on PC with splitscreen, i'll buy it.

It's the only thing they could do to make this worth it, cover that PC-same screen-co-op space that's been somewhat missing. Worked for Kane and Lynch 1 & 2.

Daigoro

Well, look no further!

Source: http://gamingeverything.com/26251/first-army-of-two-the-devils-cartel-details/

Why all the sarcasm? Are you actually interested in the game and just being cute, or is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to post new info on a game you don't care about?

Odd.

DTKT

Why all the sarcasm? Are you actually interested in the game and just being cute, or is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to post new info on a game you don't care about?

Odd.

Please tell that you are working at EA montreal. :/

Nirolak comments are obviously tongue and cheek, but eerily accurate. Army of Two has always been a B-tier franchise. Low quality all around. There is an abundance of third person shooter with a cover system. Brown filters on everything is also common. And slow-motion. Slow-motion everywhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No.
No.
No.
No.

I do want to see what they do with Salem and Rios cause
one of them needs to die for the good ending of the second game

Please tell that you are working at EA montreal. :/

Nirolak comments are obviously tongue and cheek, but eerily accurate. Army of Two has always been a B-tier franchise. Low quality all around. There is an abundance of third person shooter with a cover system. Brown filters on everything is also common. And slow-motion. Slow-motion everywhere.
Not many laser focused on two player co-op with aggro mechanics and weapon bling. They didnt play all that much like Gears either.

SJRB

Gold Member
Fuck this game

I reacted the same way when I read that, what the hell are they doing?

The high fiving and whatnot is what I enjoyed the most in the first game [never played 40th Day]. Surviving a massive gunbattle and then walk up to your buddy and fistbumping him was a great mechanic.

Also, Wayne's World air guitars.

Aaron

I reacted the same way when I read that, what the hell are they doing?

The high fiving and whatnot is what I enjoyed the most in the first game [never played 40th Day]. Surviving a massive gunbattle and then walk up to your buddy and fistbumping him was a great mechanic.

Also, Wayne's World air guitars.
40th Day was a big improvement on the first game, except the very end of the game is total shit. There's also stupid long build up before you start shooting things. The moral decisions were also hilarious.

Sojgat

19719_1003x280_NAlogo.jpg

Alpha and Bravo are the most generic names they could possibly come up with? Why not just call them One and Two? New masks look dumb.

Xater

Well at least I leave entertained by Nirolak's introduction to the information. I can't believe how many big releases I am going to skip come the end of this generation. Really shows my fatigue of a lot of the stuff people have been doing for way too long.

Top Bottom