• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arnold trolled Stallone into doing Stop or My Mom Will Shoot

way more

5150XVTADEL.jpg

SlashFilm

I read the script [for Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot]. It was so bad,” Schwarzenegger said, stating the obvious.You know, I’ve also done some movies that went right in the toilet, right? That were bad. But this was really bad.”

So I went in — this was during our war — I said to myself, I’m going to leak out that I have tremendous interest. I know the way it works in Hollywood. I would then ask for a lot of money. So then they’d say, “Let’s go give it to Sly. Maybe we can get him for cheaper.” So they told Sly, “Schwarzenegger’s interested. Here’s the press clippings. He’s talked about that. If you want to grab that one away from him, that is available.” And he went for it! He totally went for it.

Stallone admitted this back in 2014

Page 6

"I heard Arnold wanted to do that movie and after hearing that, I said I wanted to do it. He tricked me! He's always been clever."

Also asked to name his favorite role Arnold replied

“That’s very hard to say. It’s almost like asking me, ‘What is your favorite muscle?’ (laughs) How do you answer that, right? It’s like asking me, ‘What is the worst tweet of Donald Trump?’ Where do you start?”

tenor.gif

bitbydeath

Haha, I don't remember the movie being that bad.
I don't really remember the movie either TBH but it left no bad memories.

I dont remember much about Stop or my Mom Will Shoot, but I dont think it was particularly bad. I always liked both Stallone and Getty as actors too.

"I heard Arnold wanted to do that movie and after hearing that, I said I wanted to do it. He tricked me! He's always been clever."

This is pure class. He could have held a grudge, and instead he complements the guy. Stallone's great.

For a much better Stallone comedy, I recommend the movie Oscar.

Stallone has a lot of shit tier movies...but Arnold started in a lot of shit tier tv shows before he broke big but Arnold has always been the clever one imo

Denton

Sly and Arnie are both awesome. Though Arnie is in a class of his own, having made the greatest action film of all time and all that.

Ironically the screenwriter of that movie, Blake Snyder (who also wrote Blank Check) wrote a very good book about Hollywood screenwriting I read once called Save The Cat!

The clear implication being, he was a guy who understood the functions of screenwriting well but wasn't quite talented enough to write a good script himself.

At any rate reading that book will make you realize why so many movies are bad these days, because they stopped following the basic rules of screenwriting.

lmao I remember this. Who trolled him into doing Rhinestone though?
51DA66DP79L._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The truth is he just wanted to work with the great Estelle Getty.

She was amazing.

BANGS

Banned
I wouldn't give Arnie too much credit, Stallone did A LOT of shit movies without his influence...

Ironically the screenwriter of that movie, Blake Snyder (who also wrote Blank Check) wrote a very good book about Hollywood screenwriting I read once called Save The Cat!
Cool, didn't know that. Had heard that book recommended many times, not just for screenwriting, but for writing fiction too.

Mr Hyde

Sly talks a little bit about their rivalry here, and mentions this incident with Stop or my momma will shoot.

Alx

Last Action Hero was the worst Arnie movie but

I can't let that pass. Last Action Hero is a classic self-parody. Great movie, and so quotable. From the same time period, movies like Junior or even Kindergarten cop are much worse. Not far from the level of "Stop or my Mom will shoot"

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I can't let that pass. Last Action Hero is a classic self-parody. Great movie, and so quotable. From the same time period, movies like Junior or even Kindergarten cop are much worse. Not far from the level of "Stop or my Mom will shoot"
Ugh Kindergarten Cop did NOT age well... So gross...
JZqVR09.gif

Junior is fucking unwatchable though like goddamn
arnie_head.jpg

petran79

Banned

I hate his non-action family friendly movies too.

The best bad Stallone film is Over the Top.

The Arnie equivalent is Hercules in New York

BANGS

Banned
Ugh Kindergarten Cop did NOT age well... So gross...
Seriously? I love kindergarten cop, for me that will always be a classic. I understand it's definitely corny at times but I dunno it will always be treasured to me lol. Also I wouldn't call it family friendly... it's a family movie for adults IMO...

Sapiens

When I was a stupid five year old I begged to go see SOMMWS - "Rocky and Sophia!? I need to see this and 20 feet high!"

Denton

Correct about Las Action Hero. Incorrect about Kindergarten Cop, that one is alse good. Junior is trash though.

petran79

Banned
Seriously? I love kindergarten cop, for me that will always be a classic. I understand it's definitely corny at times but I dunno it will always be treasured to me lol. Also I wouldn't call it family friendly... it's a family movie for adults IMO...

I still remember watching it on cinema when I was 11 and my siblings 9. There were other kids too. Despite the burst of laughters we all had, the last encounter felt too violent and tense all of a sudden. I did not mind, since I must have watched Terminator 1 around that time on vhs.Less violent 90s Arnie never appealed to me that much

Was Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot really that bad? I remember watching it as a kid, but no memory of it being a bad movie, though also no memory of it being a good movie.

BANGS

Banned
I still remember watching it on cinema when I was 11 and my siblings 9. There were other kids too. Despite the burst of laughters we all had, the last encounter felt too violent and tense all of a sudden. I did not mind, since I must have watched Terminator 1 around that time on vhs.Less violent 90s Arnie never appealed to me that much
The beginning is also pretty violent. It has some weird thematic issues in that sense... at least he punched that kid's dad lol...

brap

Banned
Sorry I should've put that my post was sarcastic or something :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The clear implication being, he was a guy who understood the functions of screenwriting well but wasn't quite talented enough to write a good script himself.

At any rate reading that book will make you realize why so many movies are bad these days, because they stopped following the basic rules of screenwriting.

Holy shit..thats the first time i have seen that...i had to go and look the movie up
my god what a shit show......the 80s definitely did shit movies so much better than today

Top Bottom